Nugent's got E.D.

By seeburg220

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Nugent Stern Electronics, 1978
#1 6 years ago

I have alltek mpu and sdb boards. The game worked fine 2 years ago, before it went into storage. I replaced the 3 AA batteries for the mpu- externally mounted.

Game does not start. It does light up. Both boards are getting good voltages at their test points. Player 4 display shows jumbled digits, while the others are zeroed out. During self-test mode, only the knocker coil fires.

According to the alltek manual, the led on the mpu is supposed to flash a total of 8x. Mine only flashes 7 on boot up.
Meanwhile, the solenoid driver board shows a fault with Q8 and Q19. I tried figuring out using the Nugent schematic, what those control, but got nowhere.

Ted has E.D. Electronic Disfunction. Help Ted out, please.

#2 6 years ago

I would start with reseating connectors if it's been in storage that long

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

I would start with reseating connectors if it's been in storage that long

Do this for certain. Confirm that the fuse holders are not corroded/rusty as the same time.

Also,
It sounds like you are missing the sol. voltage @ the MPU. It will only flash 6 times (AND NEVER BOOT) if the sol. voltage is missing or low. Also, you are looking for 7 flashes, not 8. When the LED flickers on for 1/5th of a second when you throw the power, that does NOT count as a flash.

If you are getting 7 flashes, you have sol. voltage at the MPU and your problem lies somewhere other than a missing sol. voltage.

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

Looks like I have a bad power supply board. All of the voltages are low on the test points on the power supply board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nugents-got-ed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.