Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should I call my protectors Nudies?”

• Keep them called Nudies! 12 votes
      50%
    • Change it, it's a horrible name! 12 votes
      50%

(24 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6662 (resized).JPG
    Rob Zombie (resized).jpg
    HFTN (resized).jpg
    IMG_0537 (resized).JPG
    Stern TSPP (resized).jpg
    Stern Pre-Spike Pinside (resized).jpg
    Stern MET and TWD Pinside (resized).jpg
    Stern Metallica (resized).jpg
    B-W Square Pinside (resized).jpg
    B-W SQ Xmen (resized).jpg
    B-W SQ Xmen 3 (resized).jpg
    B-W SQ Xmen 2 (resized).jpg
    B-W SQ Shadow (resized).jpg
    There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am very excited to announce my newest product:

Nudies - Clear Shooter Lane Eject Protectors

Nudies are clear shooter lane eject protectors that will keep your pin from showing kickout wear, while still letting you see your playfield.

Made from Makrolon polycarbonate, Stern Nudies are incredibly durable, easy to install, and look great.

Perfect for your NIB pin, or any pin that you want to see the original wood or artwork.

I am currently selling Nudies for games that I own or have access to, but I am planning on expanding my offerings as I am able to get my hands on new games.

Buy them here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1082-pin-mods/01064-nudies-clear-shooter-lane-eject-protectors

Thanks for everyone’s continued support!

Stern Pre-Spike Pinside (resized).jpgStern Pre-Spike Pinside (resized).jpgStern MET and TWD Pinside (resized).jpgStern MET and TWD Pinside (resized).jpgB-W Square Pinside (resized).jpgB-W Square Pinside (resized).jpgStern Metallica (resized).jpgStern Metallica (resized).jpgB-W SQ Shadow (resized).jpgB-W SQ Shadow (resized).jpgB-W SQ Xmen 3 (resized).jpgB-W SQ Xmen 3 (resized).jpgB-W SQ Xmen 2 (resized).jpgB-W SQ Xmen 2 (resized).jpgB-W SQ Xmen (resized).jpgB-W SQ Xmen (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

I'd buy one for my Pinbot

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

I'd buy one for my Pinbot

I am working on the B/W round kickout protector now and will have that added to my shop over the weekend. Thanks!

#5 6 years ago

I'm going to call shenanigans and ask people stay supporting Cliffy through the years -

http://www.passionforpinball.com/ballejects.htm

#6 6 years ago

The design looks very familiar

#7 6 years ago

Please continue to support Cliff!

I love Cliffy's products and have every protector he sells on all my current and past pins, and I will continue to order protectors from him for all my future pins. I developed Nudies because I would rather see my playfield's wood grain than metal in the shooter lane. If my shooter lane was beat up I would rather put a Cliffy there than one of my Nudies.

These are just another option to prevent kickout wear. They are both fantastic products in their own right. They are not carbon copies of any other products. These we designed by myself to suit my visual preferences.

I appreciate your loyalty to Cliff, as I am also a big fan of his. But please don't assume that my Nudies are in any way an exact copy of his kickout protectors.

Order one for yourself and find out

#8 6 years ago

I will not order any of these for one reason. If my wife checks out the credit card charges and sees "nudies" then the balls get put back in the mason jar. It's tough playing pinball with no balls and shooter lane protection would be the last thing I need.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I will not order any of these for one reason. If my wife checks out the credit card charges and sees "nudies" then the balls get put back in the mason jar. It's tough playing pinball with no balls.

Haha! Just send me cash and I will ship them to you in a unmarked, discreet brown box

#10 6 years ago

Have you done any extensive wear testing for these? What do they look like after 100 plays or more under their belt?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Have you done any extensive wear testing for these? What do they look like after 100 plays or more under their belt?

Since installing my Nudies I have roughly 65 games on my MET, I also ran the ball kickout about 100 times on top of that. There is no visible wear at all.

I also have them at a few friends houses and they haven't reported any wear either. I also have them on-location at D&D Pinball to really show them some abuse

Makrolon is ridiculously durable stuff!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

If my wife checks out the credit card charges and sees "nudies" then the balls get put back in the mason jar.

Maybe they're already there if that's an actual problem.

#13 6 years ago

Can you make these protectors with an extended side so they sit in the shooter lane aswell as the lockout?

Would offer up further protection for the shooter lane as a whole and also differentiate your product a little more from Cliffs protectors, just an idea as I would be interested in a complete shooter lane nudie

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from HankScorpio:

Since installing my Nudies I have roughly 65 games on my MET, I also ran the ball kickout about 100 times on top of that. There is no visible wear at all.
    I also have them at a few friends houses and they haven't reported any wear either. I also have them on-location at D&D Pinball to really show them some abuse
    Makrolon is ridiculously durable stuff!

If Makrolon is incredibly strong can it be used for plastic protectors?

#15 6 years ago

Your met protector goes right to the edge of the shooter lane and looks to fit perfectly, but the protectors on your xmen & tspp don't seem to cover the edge running into the shooter lane which is what gets hit, is there a reason for this? Or maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me?

#16 6 years ago

I'm one of the testers for Nudies (Stern XMENLE/ JJP WOZ). Just had a party last night with ~60 people banging on the games all night (I'm guessing ~30-50 games on each). Nudies look the same as when they were installed.

#17 6 years ago

Here for the nudies.

IMG_0537 (resized).JPGIMG_0537 (resized).JPG

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I am not sure of it's capabilities for that use. It would be a great experiment though!

Quoted from Rascal_H:

Here for the nudies.

Hahaha! Here I made it better
    HFTN (resized).jpgHFTN (resized).jpg

Quoted from J85M:

Can you make these protectors with an extended side so they sit in the shooter lane as well as the lockout?

There is actually a company that was making these for BM66, pretty cool idea! The link to their product is below:
    https://pu-parts.com/batman-66-shooter-lane-protector

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

That's what I use it for, works great. Mike

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from HankScorpio:

There is actually a company that was making these for BM66, pretty cool idea! The link to their product is below:
    https://pu-parts.com/batman-66-shooter-lane-protector

They make 3 protectors currently they probably protect a little more of the shooter lane than they need to.

Besides at present your making almost exact copies of cliffys who currently has 100s of protectors/products out that you will be competing with, if you could make a product in the middle of the two not only would you have your own unique product but I would certainly buy one for every game I own!

#21 6 years ago

You have some great ideas, thanks!

I originally made Nudies for myself and after using them for a while decided to offer them to my fellow pinheads. I hand draw each template and every Nudie is hand cut by me on our kitchen table (much to my wife's chagrin). I would like to be able to get them mass produced if the demand keeps up, but for now it is a labor of love

I appreciate all the great suggestions, and the support!

#22 6 years ago

Below is a slow motion video I took of a ball exiting the kickout of my TSPP. I thought it would be interesting to show the areas that the ball makes contact with in the shooter lane, and help explain why the shooter lane wears the way it does.

Plus everything looks cooler in slow motion

#23 6 years ago

Have one for Transformers LE?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from HankScorpio:

Below is a slow motion video I took of a ball exiting the kickout of my TSPP. I thought it would be interesting to show the areas that the ball makes contact with in the shooter lane, and help explain why the shooter lane wears the way it does.
    Plus everything looks cooler in slow motion
    » YouTube video

Excellent video!

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from HankScorpio:

The "Stern Pre-Spike" Nudie will fit your TF LE perfectly!

Excellent!!

#27 6 years ago

Just added a RZ Nudie to the store. Thanks to D and D pinball for letting me use their machine to make a template with!Rob Zombie (resized).jpgRob Zombie (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

That's what I use it for, works great. Mike

That's what all of my plastic protectors are made of. Have sold hundreds of sets...never a complaint.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

That's what I use to make my protector sets.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from HankScorpio:

You have some great ideas, thanks!
    I originally made Nudies for myself and after using them for a while decided to offer them to my fellow pinheads. I hand draw each template and every Nudie is hand cut by me on our kitchen table (much to my wife's chagrin). I would like to be able to get them mass produced if the demand keeps up, but for now it is a labor of love
    I appreciate all the great suggestions, and the support!

If you end up making protectors that can also cover the shooter lane itself like those 3 in Germany let me know I'll test and buy them for every game I own.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

at present your making almost exact copies of cliffys who currently has 100s of protectors/products out that you will be competing with, if you could make a product in the middle of the two not only would you have your own unique product but I would certainly buy one for every game I own!

I'm a dedicated Cliffy customer, but I'm not sure I agree that these are "almost exact copies of cliffys." They have the same function and a very similar design (the ball eject area is a pretty constrained space so it's not like there are hundreds of feasible designs to choose from). But the fact that they're made of a transparent plastic makes a big aesthetic difference. If Cliffy was also making these out of Makrolon it would be a different story, of course. As is, if you want to protect your NIB game and still be able to see your pristine playfield through the protector, this could be a nice alternative (assuming, of course, that the Makrolon holds up to repeated ball drops).

#32 6 years ago

Maybe it is like white vs silver fillings for your cavities. Some like the silver look better?

I have a feeling that flat metal will hold up better than flat plastic...but I guess they can easily be replaced if you like the clear look.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm a dedicated Cliffy customer, but I'm not sure I agree that these are "almost exact copies of cliffys." They have the same function and a very similar design (the ball eject area is a pretty constrained space so it's not like there are hundreds of feasible designs to choose from). But the fact that they're made of a transparent plastic makes a big aesthetic difference. If Cliffy was also making these out of Makrolon it would be a different story, of course. As is, if you want to protect your NIB game and still be able to see your pristine playfield through the protector, this could be a nice alternative (assuming, of course, that the Makrolon holds up to repeated ball drops).

Just to be clear my comment to HankScorpio with regards to "almost exact copies" was a suggestion on how he could maybe set his protectors apart from all the others on the market,

Scroll up and instantly comparisons where made to Cliffy's, the current nudie design is very similar to Cliffy no getting round that and that's not even a negative remark just an observation, if I could get these nudies to cover the eject and the entire shooter lane then now we are talking! I would buy them for all my games, my comment was given only as positive suggestion/feedback on a possible way for HankScorpio to really set these protectors apart from the competition as I think he's onto something awesome with these.

I just don't know if I could be bothered swapping out all my Cliffy's with nudies that are almost identical, however if he could do one that went into the shooter lane like the ones linked above but only in the high impact area (there is no need for the entire length of the shooter to be protected), I would most definitely swap the Cliffys out for them.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Just to be clear my comment to hankscorpio with regards to "almost exact copies" was a suggestion on how he could maybe set his protectors apart from all the others on the market,
    Scroll up and instantly comparisons where made to Cliffy's, the current nudie design is very similar to Cliffy no getting round that and that's not even a negative remark just an observation, if I could get these nudies to cover the eject and the entire shooter lane then now we are talking! I would buy them for all my games, my comment was given only as positive suggestion/feedback on a possible way for hankscorpio to really set these protectors apart from the competition as I think he's onto something awesome with these.
    I just don't know if I could be bothered swapping out all my Cliffy's with nudies that are almost identical, however if he could do one that went into the shooter lane like the ones linked above but only in the high impact area (there is no need for the entire length of the shooter to be protected), I would most definitely swap the Cliffys out for them.

Some of the earlier comments were more critical but I should not have read that into yours, so sorry for that! And you make a fair point re: getting people to swap out existing Cliffys for this product -- I wouldn't do that either. In my case I'm eyeing one of these for a NIB Star Wars, so a somewhat different scenario, and I do think there's room in the market for both products.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Some of the earlier comments were more critical but I should not have read that into yours, so sorry for that! And you make a fair point re: getting people to swap out existing Cliffys for this product -- I wouldn't do that either. In my case I'm eyeing one of these for a NIB Star Wars, so a somewhat different scenario, and I do think there's room in the market for both products.

Like me though, would you remove those Cliffy's if these nudies (so needs a different name ) covered the entire shooter lane including the wood "wall" on the right side of the shooter lane?

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Like me though, would you remove those Cliffy's if these nudies (so needs a different name :LOL: ) covered the entire shooter lane including the wood "wall" on the right side of the shooter lane?

That's a tougher call -- for older machines with some existing wear the Cliffys are nice because they hide it! So I tend to think of this as best suited to new/restored games.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

That's a tougher call -- for older machines with some existing wear the Cliffys are nice because they hide it! So I tend to think of this as best suited to new/restored games.

I have had Cliffy's on since my games came out the box, so I am a big fan of these as I would love to see those areas I have covered up again, which is why I would love it if HankScorpio could design a complete shooter area protector, would be an awesome product and option to have on the market, especially with NIB sales being at an all time high.

#38 6 years ago

I'd love a full length shooter lane protector for my new cleared playfields!

#39 6 years ago

A flat piece is easy to make. Now one that fits in the shooter lane = Not so easy

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Now one that fits in the shooter lane = Not so easy

Pinball is hard..... great mods are even harder

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Now one that fits in the shooter lane = Not so easy

I would get one for all my games if they were available.

#42 6 years ago

I have really enjoyed the free flowing ideas, comments and suggestions in this thread. I really appreciate everyone's input!

I am currently waiting for some testers to confirm that my BM66 Nudie will fit other Spike Sterns as well. I will keep everyone updated as soon as those are in stock and ready to ship!

Quoted from J85M:

these nudies (so needs a different name )

Haha! Yeah, I have received both positive and negative feedback regarding the name! I really wanted to come up with something tongue and cheek for my protectors, but perhaps I should consider a name change? I would hate to think I am losing any potential users because the name is off-putting. Perhaps a poll is in order?

Thanks again for everyone's input, I am very appreciative!

Poll added at top of thread

#43 6 years ago

I think they should come in Nude, Black and Fishnet

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I think they should come in Nude, Black and Fishnet

Fishnet sounds like a winner - corner the market on protectors for Elvira III.

#45 6 years ago

Transparent Protectors
    Invisible Protectors (Our Protectors are "Out Of Sight"!)
    Clear! Protectors.
    or Protection

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Invisible Protectors
    Our Protectors are "Out Of Sight"!

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I would love it if hankscorpio could design a complete shooter area protector, would be an awesome product and option to have on the market

Most definitely agree with that
    Would snap one up straight away.

2 weeks later
    #49 6 years ago

What's the difference between Pre- and Post-Spike Sterns and would one of these fit a Goldeneye?

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from mesa:

What's the difference between Pre- and Post-Spike Sterns and would one of these fit a Goldeneye?

Spike Sterns don't have screws holding the the kickout scoop down (which my protectors attach to), Instead there are two flat topped screws that they affix themselves to. Pre-Spike Sterns have screws holding the kickout scoop down. The pic of TSPP at the top is an example of a Pre-Spike Stern install.

I am not sure if my Stern Pre-Spike protector will work with your Goldeneye. If you order one and it doesn't work I can refund your money immediately.

Thanks!

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudies-clear-shooter-lane-eject-protectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.