Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PinballNudging (resized).png
    pin (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I know there have been numerous topics about nudging, and I understand the basics of doing it (e.g., nudge to move the playfield, not the ball). However, what I still can't quite do is nudge to avoid the outlane. I try to nudge up to bounce the ball off of the outlane post, but this seems to have an equal chance of success as failure. And, when I watch videos of the best players, this seems to be something they can do quite well. So, what are the specific nudging techniques used to keep the ball from going down the outlane?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

What game? different outlanes will require different nudges

All games. I’m not that great at any. If there are different techniques, how do you identify them?

I agree with some of the comments, I try to nudge up to get the ball out of the slings and would prefer that the ball stay away from the lanes altogether. But when it is heading for an outlane, what do you do? I’ve been trying to nudge the post up into the ball, but as I said, that only works sporadically. Would it be better to nudge the post to the left or right before the ball gets there to try to bounce the ball off the outer side of it? That may depend upon the game I would imagine.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from pickleric:

Check out Tim’s save around 21:19

I want to know how to do that!

I did that one glorious time in my pinball life. It was total luck of course. I shouted in celebration, but no one was there to see it or care.

#27 5 years ago

So, all the great advice on here inspired me to nudge more tonight, and . . . I tilted. But, hey, if you're not tilting, I guess you're not trying.

I find it very difficult to predict when the ball is in danger of heading to the lanes to nudge properly. I'm more trying to react once it gets there than trying to keep it from the lanes in the first place.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

WTF??????IS anyone else seeing me quote myself on post #24 and #25.
    I didn't post #25 but it shows my avatar and info like I quoted myself????
    [quoted image]

No. I don’t see that. I’m looking at this thread through safari on my iPad.

#37 5 years ago

Perhaps this is going to be hard to do, but let's take this diagram and assume the different colored arrows are different ball trajectories. How would you nudge to save each one?

PinballNudging (resized).pngPinballNudging (resized).png

I'm assuming you've failed to keep the ball from heading to the lanes, and you have to make a quick nudge. Would you nudge up, to the side, etc.? Does it vary depending on the trajectory?

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Up and to the left on all 3 of those.
    Up to get the ball up and out of the area using the rubber on the inlane and left to either get more rubber on the ball or to help move the ball into the inlane.

Nudging up would have been intuitive to me. Nudging to the left probably wouldn’t have been, but it makes sense.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-to-avoid-the-outlane?tu=Nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.