(Topic ID: 317873)

Nudging, slamming, sliding, slapping, lifting..... Who ya kidding??

By TheNecromancer

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 153 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by DreamTR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Agree with me?”

• Yes 11 votes
      9%
    • No 107 votes
      91%

(118 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7BA8C61D-4055-45CB-AA1D-1843190158A9.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20220620_155959 (resized).jpg
    16567149054882159006524277029306 (resized).jpg
    DSCF1235[1] (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    surely-you-cant-be-serious-are-you-kidding.gif
    74E67F87-87CB-41E1-B44B-5A93DE6E5263 (resized).png
    220_5 (resized).jpg
    6leous (resized).jpg
    main ramp (resized).jpg
    giphy (3).gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mystman12.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 1 year ago

You compare pinball to foosball and billiards, but those are entirely different games with their own sets of rules. Of course nudging a pool table would be cheating, the game wasn't designed with that in mind. Pinball is. Somewhere along the line it became a crucial risk/reward element to the game, and anyone involved in designing pinball games in the past 50 years will tell you so. Some games even have playfield elements designed around nudging (Path of the Dead on LotR for example), or will reward you with extra tilt warnings (If it was cheating, and tilting only existed to prevent cheating, this would have never been a thing).

Pretty much every digital pinball game ever made also includes the ability to nudge. If it was cheating, the devs of pinball videogames would have the perfect solution to the problem by just not allowing it to be done, but they do because it's a mechanic, not a cheat.

#41 1 year ago

In regards to pinball machines as art, yeah, they are, but they're also designed as coin-operated machines meant to withstand intense amounts of play and abuse at arcades, bars, etc. Giving it a push here and a slap there, especially in a home environment, isn't going to cause any noticeable damage. Your fingers resting on the artwork on the sides of the cabinet as you flip is likely to cause more wear than you will from slap saving.

#57 1 year ago

Op, if you're unsure about nudging your games, I'd recommend getting Pinball FX 3 or The Pinball Arcade and messing with the nudging in those games. Should give you a good understanding of how nudging affects the ball and can be used to control it, and you can experiment without having to worry about damaging anything. Once you warm up to it digitally I think you'll warm up to it IRL pretty quickly.

#98 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheNecromancer:

Not trying to change anything, just saying I don't think this is how it was intended. One thing though that I've quickly learned is you don't want to have an alternate opinion to the masses. I feel like I've opened Pandora's box and at this point and there's no way to close it.

You can have unpopular opinions no problem, there's a whole thread for that. Saying that you think nudging is cheating isn't an opinion, it's just flat out wrong. The rules of pinball are determined by the people who design the game. Stern, Jersey Jack, American, Spooky, etc. They have the authority to determine the rules on their games. Email these companies, contact the game designers, ask them if nudging is cheating or part of the game. They will all tell you that it's absolutely part of the game. If you still think it's cheating after this, then at that point you're just being stubborn with nothing to back up your argument.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mystman12.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-slamming-sliding-slapping-lifting-who-ya-kidding?tu=mystman12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.