nameofthegame.jpg
gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
358050-i.jpg
slika.jpg
image-750.jpg
punch.jpg
nudge.jpg
thats what she said.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#104 9 years ago

"I have the tilt mechanisms removed on my own games at home" - Gary Stern

gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpggary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
#124 9 years ago

The difference between nudging and a tilt is the word EXCESSIVE. That's why you have adjustment mechanical or through software for this basic feature that is the essence of pinball.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

As far as I know flippers are either on or off. They don't work like a gas pedal or something like that. While you can take some of the power off by cutting the "on" duration short, I don't think there is any way to add power.

Yes. It's on or off...and not how you hit the button but WHEN. Timing is everything.

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

If the decal wrinkling part worries you, why are you not using some kind of leg/cab protectors, just in case someone is a bit over-motivated? Actually, after some years in this hobby i've never met anyone not using protectors.
My machines are usually either re-decaled or have very good original decals. The pins are nudged, slap saved and even slide saved heavily and there is no sign of decal wrinkling at all.
I also don't use any kind of casters under the legs as they kind of "stick" the legs to the floor shifting the complete pressure from nudging from the leg/floor connection to the leg/cab connection. The legs need to be able to easily slide on the floor, otherwise you are unnecessarily stressing the leg/cab joint.

Very true.
I also think that if the joint is firmly bonded with the leg screws that there is virtually no movement of the leg against a decal. It would certainly be worse for games where the legs are loose and rubbing on the cabinet to wrinkle a decal. I've seen many old games with original decals and no "protectors" that are are not wrinkled.

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

That said, I definitely encourage new players to experiment with nudging. I'm absolutely find with people tilting my games on occasion - that's how you find how tight the tilt is.

I often tilt games at shows or on location. Every game is different, so you got to find out how much leeway you have for nudging on that first game.

th.pngth.png
#166 9 years ago

I would also like to mention that a lot of digital simulations of pinball also include the ability to nudge as a part of the programming.

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

These games are made to be played in bowling alleys, bars and truck stops. People who get precious about pinball need to cool the f#*k out over that action. Someone did that to me once, then we started playing games for $$$. But don't call me a shark.... At least when it was over I bought the joker a drink.

When I first started this hobby my games had the tilts completely removed. My brother-in-law got excessive with the sliding, which put the game out of position many times and since the games are close together I became concerned for the safety of him and the others playing next to him. I explained him the difference between nudging and abuse and added the tilt pendulums back in as a reminder. Sometimes guests need to be reminded that we're not at a location arcade or truck stop, but we are not at a museum either - so the manipulation of the table should be allowed but the tilt is there to keep it in check.

3 weeks later
#294 9 years ago

How many folks hold their breath and sort of "freeze" when you've just triggered the tilt warning, knowing that pendulum is swinging around in the cabinet but not actually tilted yet?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-is-wrong?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.