nameofthegame.jpg
gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
358050-i.jpg
slika.jpg
image-750.jpg
punch.jpg
nudge.jpg
thats what she said.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider someoneelse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Ask him what he thinks tilt warnings are for. If you weren't supposed to nudge, you wouldn't get a warning, the game would just tilt.

I'm all for nudging, for me it's an essential part of the game.

But I do have a friend that arguments that tilt warnings are the same as yellow cards in soccer and the tilt itself id like a red card. Then he goes on arguing that yellow cards are given for doing something wrong, so nudging is wrong.

The only thing I don't like is people kicking and shoving the machines out of anger AFTER the ball has already drained.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

Your friend's analogy is almost perfect actually. The only thing he needs to be corrected on is that any nudging that doesn't result in a warning (yellow card) is perfectly legal.

I guess his point is that i hardly ever make it through a game without at least one tilt warning...

My problem is when I'm at his place it's extremely difficult for me to watch the ball drain without nudging. In the heat of the battle I also sometimes forget his rules and just react (nudge) without thinking.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

they make these for the reason of nudging. Damage control.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1403
and it says in the description quote: "Every time a player "nudges" your pinball machine to try to save a ball they are putting pressure where the legs meet the cabinet causing the legs to dig into the cabinet PinGuard™ protectors save you all the worry of any damage occurring to your cabinet while your "friends" push it around the room trying to save their ball."
Again, Nudging is fine..it's the over aggressive people that make legs loose, decals around the legs wrinkle..and how many times have you seen a cabinet with "bondo" where the legs attached. Cabinet separation at the seams. Over zealous players.
Sorry, not on my machines.

If the decal wrinkling part worries you, why are you not using some kind of leg/cab protectors, just in case someone is a bit over-motivated? Actually, after some years in this hobby i've never met anyone not using protectors.

My machines are usually either re-decaled or have very good original decals. The pins are nudged, slap saved and even slide saved heavily and there is no sign of decal wrinkling at all.

I also don't use any kind of casters under the legs as they kind of "stick" the legs to the floor shifting the complete pressure from nudging from the leg/floor connection to the leg/cab connection. The legs need to be able to easily slide on the floor, otherwise you are unnecessarily stressing the leg/cab joint.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about the felt ones? I would think just from a material standpoint that felt would be the best option. I haven't used any protectors on my games yet.

I've been using felt ones for many years without any damage to the pins. BUT the ones I'm using are made of very thick and rigid felt and most important, they are cut just slightly smaller than the legs are. You can't see them on the machines, you can only see that the metal of the legs seems to be "floating" above the cab at the edges.

"Oversized" plastic or felt protectors are meant to dress up existing damage, not to protect. Actually they will make the damage worse.

If I would get into the protecting business these days I would use the "Stern-Style" (metal or plastic) protectors. The effect is pretty similar to the oldschool felt ones I'm using.

#262 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

I am warming to the idea of nudging, but only on my unrestored pins with cabinets that have not yet been restored. I was pissed when my BBB got leg wrinkles, but have a set of decals spare so not too worried.
On my MM & IJ when they were restored and before the metal protectors were about the restorer cut the plastic protectors so they were flush with the bottom of the cab on all corners and screwed them to the cabinet. Guess he was onto something!!

I think if the plastic is flush with the legs edges you might still get wrinkles over time. The point of the "to small" (Stern-style or felt) protectors is to keep the edges of the legs away from the cab. The legs are almost never folded exactly to 90degrees but a tiny bit more - enough for the edges to dig into the cab and decals.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider someoneelse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-is-wrong?tu=someoneelse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.