nameofthegame.jpg
gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
358050-i.jpg
slika.jpg
image-750.jpg
punch.jpg
nudge.jpg
thats what she said.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#162 9 years ago

I read most of the thread and am somewhat amazed at some of the responses. Why would games of skill have "tilt warnings" if it was not ok to move games around? Sure, there is good reason that Death saves AND bang-backs are banned from most all current leagues and competitive pinball.

HOWEVER, I have one request... If you don't nudge or wiggle the pinball game at all when you play...

If someone that you do not know asks you to play with them, please let them know this fact before you start. That way, they can be sure they know you don't care if you win and vise-verse.

Anyone that is not nudging or tilting is not trying to win and I have very little interest in playing pinball with people that don't want to win. Why even keep score?

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

there are actually more ways to manipulate than nudging, even when tilt is tight. its not possible to compete at a high level unless you nudge and other manipulations. even if you are the most accurate player with your shots, when balls comes from pops on games like ac dc or pops on TWD its headed stdm unless you do something about it. a lot of ems like 3 coin require nudging if you want to save the ball with 6 inch gaps between the flippers thats why certain rubber is placed in design areas (as was centaur mentioned) same with IJ (williams) rt outlane, bally flip flop, and a host of others,.
other ball save or change ball trajectory methods:
warbling (when ball is headed stdm)
slap save (2 handed)
hard button press (to do post catches).
habitrail shimmy- when ball is going down a habitrail to a flipper in lane to slow the ball down so you can cradle it quickly.
side slap- when a ball is coming down a loop and its about to hit the sling shot, so you slap the cabinet to make the ball avoid the slingshot and either live catch it on the flipper or let it dead bounce.
Lock bar dampener- slapping palm of hand on lock bar when ball is hitting slings to compress some of the force.
there is much more..thats just a sample.

I read your post very carefully. First, thank you for mentioning all of these. I do consider all of the examples here "nudging" as it pertains to modern competitive pinball. I define "nudging" as moving the game in any way to affect ball travel.

A slide save IS nudging in my book... I don't allow movement on my league games by simply putting two of the rubber caster cups (pinball life sells) on the two front legs. They make slide saves nearly impossible and I would suggest to any tournament directors to place them on the front legs of games if they do not want slide saves implemented into competition.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-is-wrong?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.