nameofthegame.jpg
gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
358050-i.jpg
slika.jpg
image-750.jpg
punch.jpg
nudge.jpg
thats what she said.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matt_rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 9 years ago

Of course you need too, the best players nudge, slide, and slap, that's how pinball works.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

they make these for the reason of nudging. Damage control.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1403
and it says in the description quote: "Every time a player "nudges" your pinball machine to try to save a ball they are putting pressure where the legs meet the cabinet causing the legs to dig into the cabinet PinGuard™ protectors save you all the worry of any damage occurring to your cabinet while your "friends" push it around the room trying to save their ball."
Again, Nudging is fine..it's the over aggressive people that make legs loose, decals around the legs wrinkle..and how many times have you seen a cabinet with "bondo" where the legs attached. Cabinet separation at the seams. Over zealous players.
Sorry, not on my machines.

I would argue that your not getting full enjoyment out of playing pinball then.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

I guess not, if "that" is what it takes to get full enjoyment...
though I just got LITZ (actually last night)..I must not know what I'm doing.

Have no idea, but part of the enjoyment is saving a ball from an outlane etc. I guess I just don't believe you did that without any nudging. Unless it's on 5 balls and easy difficulty.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

if you are going to quote that wki might as well post the rest you left out.
" However, excessive nudging is generally penalized by the loss of the current player's turn (known as tilting) or ending of the entire game when the nudging is particularly violent (known as slam tilting). This penalty was instituted because nudging the machine too much may damage it."

Exactly, that's what tilt is for. Set your tilts tight if you want, I have no problem with that.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

It was at least 6 ball. I know I had won at least 3 extra balls.. (maybe even 4). which would then be 7.
Must have nudged "up" to the extra ball lane a few times.
I guess I feel your pain that you haven't been able to do this. It doesn't happen that often..but, that is the challenge. Maybe you been there more than me as the result of your nudging...but, to each his own.
I never, ever said nudging was cheating...I'm agreeing with spfxted that I don't nudge either..and those that are "excessive" like the bruised hand, have no play at my house..and my machines reflect that.

No need to be a dick about it. Don't nudge all you want, just don't invite me over to play.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I'm a player that enjoys pinball. I don't aggressively nudge, slide or beat on games (my own or anyone elses). I'm especially respectful of other pinhead's games. If I drain 3 balls... I simply hit the "start game" button.
I own quite a few games (25+). I've put on many pin parties / events. I really enjoy sharing my collection with friends, scouts and soccer teams (6 years as coach). However, I'm not happy with people who abuse my games. I've had people shake them so hard its gouged / wrinkled my new cabinet decals
On party events; I've placed small signs on lock down bar "Please enjoy my games / don't Shake them". I also tighten up the legs bolts and tilt bobs... it only takes one hard / aggressive nudge / shake to do damage. I had a guy shake my White Water *so hard* it wrinkled all 4 legs. I just completed the restoration just 2 weeks prior.

Put the right protection on your legs. Spending that kind of money and not doing the metal 'inserts' for 15 bucks is a mistake imo.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

Agreed, I do think pulling your hand completely off the buttons and slapping them back into the buttons is inefficient and harder to time though.

I disagree, it's about moving the machine a little and flipping simultaneously. It's a vakud nudge technique.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

Hey guys, I am wanting to put cabinet protectors on the legs of my pins and was curious which one was better..the metal ones, felt ones or the newer plastic ones (Pinguard).
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=cabinet+protectors

What kind of cabinet, with decals you have to use the metal under leg, otherwise your decals will wrinkle. Wood cabinets, plastic is fine.

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

What do you do if the ball stops and gets stuck somewhere? Do you wiggle it free, or just stop your game. give up and take the glass off.

Valid question!

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

I havea CFTBL and a STTNG....so should I get the metal ones?

If they have decals, then the neutral ones in your link for sure. Wouldn't hurt for all machines, but wood I might go with plastic, that's just me.

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What about the felt ones? I would think just from a material standpoint that felt would be the best option. I haven't used any protectors on my games yet.

If your machine has decals, anything other than the metal ones, they will wrinkle over time. I've heard of people even scoring the decal around the metal protector with an exacto blade, to eliminate any chance of wrinkling.

#208 9 years ago

Ahh, physics, defy them at will!

#216 9 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

» YouTube video
10 sec in.

Cool video from the past! Thanks!

#271 9 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

Armed with the correct term here come the vids!
» YouTube video

Some people may need therapy after watching that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider matt_rasmussen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-is-wrong?tu=matt_rasmussen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.