nameofthegame.jpg
gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
358050-i.jpg
slika.jpg
image-750.jpg
punch.jpg
nudge.jpg
thats what she said.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 9 years ago

nudging has been part of pinball (and bingos) since day 1... geez...

nudging isn't "optional" on the machines i (and many others) play... it's required...

hell, if you can't downright manhandle some 60's machines, you will NEVER win... ever...

but then again, i play with my ring on my finger too...

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You learn nudging skills on 2 inch flipper games with tight tilt settings.

true... especially since there is no such thing as a "tilt warning", and on the majority of those machines (single player, anyway), a tilt costs you the game, not just the ball...

but it is so much more fun to actually use nudging skills on one with loose tilt settings...

(says the person who has his tilt bobs hanging at the very end of the stick )...

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from JDD:

To the people who do not nudge a new machine for fear of 'hurting' it,
do you also buy a new car and then avoid driving over speed bumps?
And imagine the amount of jostling the machine had as it rode in the
back of a truck for a thousand miles or so. I don't think my nudging
could ever add up to the toll inflicted by transit. And the games work fine.
Here's some palm damage from aggressive nudging.

Here's some knuckle damage from punching the glass.

All injuries inflicted on my home machines. The steel and glass show no damage.
I'm more calm in public.

nudge.jpg 56 KB

punch.jpg 71 KB

now THAT's what i'm talking about! although it has been awhile since i've pounded one hard enough to draw blood...

someone mentioned this earlier... these are machines that were built to withstand a commercial environment... and many of those commercial environments mix young males and alcohol... and i'm not so old that i don't remember what happens when you mix young males with alcohol...

#85 9 years ago

and fwiw... if you don't tilt every now and then, you:

- aren't trying hard enough to win
or
- you never punish the machine for cheating and sending the ball sdtm when you are very close to hitting the replay level... and yes, i'll admit to "force tilting" on more than one occasion...

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder how some of these "non nudgers" are going to cope when they come across a flipperless game.

Quoted from Kneissl:

Pretty tough to play flipperless pin without the nudge.

Quoted from Retropin:

A non nudger and a flipperless machine... yep, they just stand there and scratch their heads..LOL

my "guess" is that the majority of "non-nudgers" have never even seen a flipperless machine, let alone actually tried to play one... nor have they played very many (if any at all) em machines, period...

i seriously doubt that there are any non-nudgers who cut their teeth on em pinball... it is a required skill...

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Nudging is one thing..turning your palms of your hand black & Blue, is more then a Nudge, in my book.

if your hands don't hurt a bit after an extended session, you haven't been trying hard enough.... a few bruises aren't entirely uncommon after a particularly sprited session...

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

So where's the best place to learn / view nudging tutorials? I'm progressing a bit as a player and have improved my flipper skills quite a bit (still PLENTY of room for improvement of course!)... but holy hell, nudging is just an enigma that fiendishly escapes me.
I mean, I've now played the one game I own enough to where it can friggin telegraph an oncoming STDM or an outlane shuffle/drift... I naively tell myself not to be so cynical, yet I see it coming and always feel powerless to stop it. Mind you, I have no problems shaking the machine a bit: I'm able to do so without tilting. Sometimes it works, or was it just luck? I just can't seem to figure out the when/how.
Any attempts I make probably hurt me as often (or more so?!?) than they might help. Mostly I can't even discern that my nudge had any kind of effect whatsoever. The fact there's no way to consistently predict or repeat the same situations for practice (unlike flipper control and timing) doesn't help, but of course that's part of the game (or my still-needs-work lack of finesse).
I've watched a few gameplay videos where I can tell they're nudging, but not how or why... it all happens too fast and subtly and is rarely even pointed out.
Anyway: I say nudging isn't wrong, but my inability to do it right pisses me off. How can I fix this?

imo... the "best way" to learn nudging skills is to acquire a 2" flipper 60's em, and play the living crap out of it... as myself (and others) have noted multiple times on this thread, good nudging skills are a MUST on those machines... you will learn "what works and what doesn't" simply by playing it a LOT...

but that's coming from someone who cut his teeth on them...

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Slick Chick is my first pin with 2" flippers and I'm loving it. I can't imagine playing Slick Chick without nudging!

beating slick chick, even if you completely manhandle her, isn't easy... beating the chick without nudging would be impossible...

i know that many people don't like "old boring slow em pins*"... but i'd be willing to wager that 90% of the people out there could dramatically increase their pin skills if they played one on a regular basis...

2" flipper pins rule...

* "we" know they aren't boring and slow, just stating the perception that many have...

#237 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don't think they should be allowed at all. If the ball is in the outlane, past any sort of ball save feature, your ball is dead. I can assure you that although nudging is a very important part of pinball, death saves and bangbacks are not. Sure if you want to have a trick shot tournament for novelty, but these actions have no place in a true tournament IMO.

i agree... do whatever you want physically to the machine while the ball is in play... but once the defenses of the machine have defeated the player, that's it, your ball should always be considered "gone"...

they don't even have a place in casual pinball...

#293 9 years ago

i played "target pool" for 3 straight hours yesterday afternoon/evening...

i can tell you that by the way my wrists and hands feel this morning, plenty of nudging and banging was going on...

1 week later
#297 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

for 3 hours on one game? holy shit that has to be a world record for target pool. I think my longest game on there was 5 min, and that was after all 5 balls. Ball times are not long on that game. Either that, or you didn't have a tilt bob even in it.

oh god no... if you could make 1 game of target pool last for 3 hours, you are not human...

many "less than 5 minute games", for 3 hours in a row... i didn't beat it too many times, either (although i do have the replay levels set high)...

5 balls, VERY loose tilt though...

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I figured as such, I was just giving you shit. If U could play that game for 3 hours, you are a god.

yea i figured you were yanking my chain...

the only way i can think of to make one game last 3 hours would be to take a half hour break in between every ball...

#302 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that would work. I can't imagine how your back would feel after a 3 hour straight game. Hell, I played sopranos once for an hour and 15 min straight on one game. My back felt like I slept on a concrete slab all night.

i know mine wouldn't feel too good, that's for sure... i can't stand for that long without moving around...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-is-wrong?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.