nameofthegame.jpg
gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
358050-i.jpg
slika.jpg
image-750.jpg
punch.jpg
nudge.jpg
thats what she said.jpg
There are 302 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 9 years ago

you can get a bruise in your hand without even getting a tilt warning on a game with a moderate tilt.

#102 9 years ago

Exactly. And I'm sure his game looks no different then before he pushed the start button.

I encourage nudging in my hose. If you cant have a good game then nudge better.

#103 9 years ago

My only rule is don't nudge past the tilt

#104 9 years ago

"I have the tilt mechanisms removed on my own games at home" - Gary Stern

gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpggary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
#105 9 years ago

I know someone who thinks that cradling the ball is cheating.

He's also a moron as it turns out.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

you can get a bruise in your hand without even getting a tilt warning on a game with a moderate tilt.

Soft tender hands

#107 9 years ago

A slap save is a form of nudging and is absolutely required on center trainers!

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

"I have the tilt mechanisms removed on my own games at home" - Gary Stern

gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg 100 KB

That because he don't know how to install it.

#109 9 years ago

#110 9 years ago

It is better to have nudged and lost, than to have never nudged at all.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Ask him what he thinks tilt warnings are for. If you weren't supposed to nudge, you wouldn't get a warning, the game would just tilt.

I'm all for nudging, for me it's an essential part of the game.

But I do have a friend that arguments that tilt warnings are the same as yellow cards in soccer and the tilt itself id like a red card. Then he goes on arguing that yellow cards are given for doing something wrong, so nudging is wrong.

The only thing I don't like is people kicking and shoving the machines out of anger AFTER the ball has already drained.

#112 9 years ago

So it seems like most of us are in agreement that nudging is an integral part of the game. How do you guys feel about a hard sideways shove to save a SDTM drain? I do this on my machines all the time. I can often save the ball with this technique, but it usually results in a double tilt warning. To me, this is a perfectly acceptable move, but I would be hesitant to do it on someone else's machine.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

But I do have a friend that arguments that tilt warnings are the same as yellow cards in soccer and the tilt itself id like a red card. Then he goes on arguing that yellow cards are given for doing something wrong, so nudging is wrong.

Flawed analogy is flawed, because broken logic is broken.

A more correct analogy would be a tilt warning is like getting hit by a turtle and going from super Mario to regular Mario, then a tilt is like getting hit again and losing your Mario.

You didn't do anything wrong. You made a mistake(exceeded the tilt tolerance), too many mistakes and you loose your ball.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I have a good friend (a non-pinhead) who insists that, "Nudging is wrong, and I choose not to do it."
I've told him it's integral to the game, and actually encouraged by many game designs (such as Centaur where you can nudge the ball back into play from the outlane)
Do you have any friends with strange concepts regarding nudging, and how do you talk sense into them?
Where do people get these ideas?
thanks,
-mof

I have had a couple people tell me this is cheating ...

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So it seems like most of us are in agreement that nudging is an integral part of the game. How do you guys feel about a hard sideways shove to save a SDTM drain? I do this on my machines all the time. I can often save the ball with this technique, but it usually results in a double tilt warning. To me, this is a perfectly acceptable move, but I would be hesitant to do it on someone else's machine.

We are venturing into the gray area, if they have their tilts set liberal on purpose then I say its fine to do so.
However if they don't have their machine appropriately set up, or are ignorant of such settings, I wouldn't.

If they have some phobia about nudging and have house rules about it they need to set their tilt conservative as hell with no warnings and problem solved. Good luck when multiball sets it off on its own

#116 9 years ago

You cannot play a proper game of pinball without the nudge.

#117 9 years ago

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

they make these for the reason of nudging. Damage control.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1403
and it says in the description quote: "Every time a player "nudges" your pinball machine to try to save a ball they are putting pressure where the legs meet the cabinet causing the legs to dig into the cabinet PinGuard™ protectors save you all the worry of any damage occurring to your cabinet while your "friends" push it around the room trying to save their ball."
Again, Nudging is fine..it's the over aggressive people that make legs loose, decals around the legs wrinkle..and how many times have you seen a cabinet with "bondo" where the legs attached. Cabinet separation at the seams. Over zealous players.
Sorry, not on my machines.

I would argue that your not getting full enjoyment out of playing pinball then.

#119 9 years ago

#120 9 years ago

The flipper was not introduced until 1947, till then the only way to manipulate the ball was to nudge and bump. Next to using the flippers, nudging is listed second in the playing techniques section on Wikipedia. The owner/operator can say don't nudge my machine by tightly adjusting the plum bob, learn to nudge playing with a tight plumb and you will get really good at it.

I apologize in advance if someone has already pointed this out

Nudging

Skillful players can influence the movement of the ball by nudging or bumping the pinball machine, a technique known as "nudging." There are tilt mechanisms which guard against excessive manipulation of this sort. The mechanisms generally include:

a grounded plumb bob centered in an electrified metal ring – when the machine is jostled too far or too hard, the bob contacts the ring, completing a circuit. The bob is usually cone-shaped allowing the operator to slide it vertically, controlling the sensitivity;
an electrified ball on a slight ramp with a grounded post at the top of the ramp – when the front of the machine is lifted (literally, tilted) too high, the ball rolls to the top of the ramp and completes the circuit; and
an impact sensor – usually located on the coin door, the playfield and/or the cabinet itself.

When one of these sensors is activated, the game registers a "tilt" and locks out, disabling solenoids for the flippers and other playfield systems so that the ball can do nothing other than roll down the playfield to the drain. A tilt will usually result in the loss of bonus points earned by the player during that ball. Older games would immediately end the ball in play on a tilt. Modern games give tilt warnings before sacrificing the ball in play. The number of tilt warnings can be adjusted by the operator of the machine. Until recently most games also had a "slam tilt" switch which guarded against kicking or slamming the coin mechanism, or for overly aggressive behavior with the machine, which could give a false indication that a coin had been inserted, thereby giving a free game or credit. This feature was recently taken out by default in new Stern S.A.M System games,[citation needed] but can be added as an option. A slam tilt will typically end the current game for all players.

#121 9 years ago

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

I guess not, if "that" is what it takes to get full enjoyment...
though I just got LITZ (actually last night)..I must not know what I'm doing.

Have no idea, but part of the enjoyment is saving a ball from an outlane etc. I guess I just don't believe you did that without any nudging. Unless it's on 5 balls and easy difficulty.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

if you are going to quote that wki might as well post the rest you left out.
" However, excessive nudging is generally penalized by the loss of the current player's turn (known as tilting) or ending of the entire game when the nudging is particularly violent (known as slam tilting). This penalty was instituted because nudging the machine too much may damage it."

Exactly, that's what tilt is for. Set your tilts tight if you want, I have no problem with that.

#124 9 years ago

The difference between nudging and a tilt is the word EXCESSIVE. That's why you have adjustment mechanical or through software for this basic feature that is the essence of pinball.

#125 9 years ago

#126 9 years ago

Do they allow nudging in all the major pinball circuits and leagues? Yes, so it's not cheating according to all the organizations that matter. Case closed.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

I used to wonder this myself. This is just speculation, but I think with an upper flipper, you can get a modicum of extra force on the ball by actually hitting the flipper button or the cabinet a bit. I've seen a Dirty Harry or two where a clean ramp shot wouldn't QUITE go all the way up unless you put a little something extra into it.

As far as I know flippers are either on or off. They don't work like a gas pedal or something like that. While you can take some of the power off by cutting the "on" duration short, I don't think there is any way to add power.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

As far as I know flippers are either on or off. They don't work like a gas pedal or something like that. While you can take some of the power off by cutting the "on" duration short, I don't think there is any way to add power.

Yes. It's on or off...and not how you hit the button but WHEN. Timing is everything.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Yes. It's on or off...and not how you hit the button but WHEN. Timing is everything.

Agreed, I do think pulling your hand completely off the buttons and slapping them back into the buttons is inefficient and harder to time though.

#130 9 years ago

I'm fricking awful at nudging and would probably do better if it weren't allowed as I screw myself with it so often.

That said, of course it is part of the game.

See "Theres No Place Like Home," and "The Path of the Dead."

#131 9 years ago

When playing with my wife, she says I'm cheating when I nudge. lol
She knows that's not true, she's just frustrated that she isn't strong enough to do it effectively.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Your friend's analogy is almost perfect actually. The only thing he needs to be corrected on is that any nudging that doesn't result in a warning (yellow card) is perfectly legal.

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

I'm all for nudging, for me it's an essential part of the game.

The *tilt* is the penalty. The *tilt warning* is the referee coming over and telling you that if you are any rougher, you'll be getting penalized.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Anth:

Your friend's analogy is almost perfect actually. The only thing he needs to be corrected on is that any nudging that doesn't result in a warning (yellow card) is perfectly legal.

I guess his point is that i hardly ever make it through a game without at least one tilt warning...

My problem is when I'm at his place it's extremely difficult for me to watch the ball drain without nudging. In the heat of the battle I also sometimes forget his rules and just react (nudge) without thinking.

#135 9 years ago

I didn't nudge very much before last year. I saw some pretty good players playing my Metallica at CAX last year, and they were slapping the crap out of it. I have since tried to emulate their play, but my scores are still terrible. I do have more fun playing though, so there is that.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

This is just speculation, but I think with an upper flipper, you can get a modicum of extra force on the ball by actually hitting the flipper button or the cabinet a bit.

This is most likely because when you hit the button hard you're actually moving the machine (ie nudging) as well, so the force on the ball = force of the coil + force of the nudge. Similar principle to a slap save; hitting the button harder doesn't make the flipper longer, it just moves the flipper closer to the ball.

#137 9 years ago

I'm a player that enjoys pinball. I don't aggressively nudge, slide or beat on games (my own or anyone elses). I'm especially respectful of other pinhead's games. If I drain 3 balls... I simply hit the "start game" button.

I own quite a few games (25+). I've put on many pin parties / events. I really enjoy sharing my collection with friends, scouts and soccer teams (6 years as coach). However, I'm not happy with people who abuse my games. I've had people shake them so hard its gouged / wrinkled my new cabinet decals

On party events; I've placed small signs on lock down bar "Please enjoy my games / don't Shake them". I also tighten up the legs bolts and tilt bobs... it only takes one hard / aggressive nudge / shake to do damage. I had a guy shake my White Water *so hard* it wrinkled all 4 legs. I just completed the restoration just 2 weeks prior.

#138 9 years ago

I love watching good players dealing with a tight tilt and still be able to nudge when necessary. Living on the edge...

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

It was at least 6 ball. I know I had won at least 3 extra balls.. (maybe even 4). which would then be 7.
Must have nudged "up" to the extra ball lane a few times.
I guess I feel your pain that you haven't been able to do this. It doesn't happen that often..but, that is the challenge. Maybe you been there more than me as the result of your nudging...but, to each his own.
I never, ever said nudging was cheating...I'm agreeing with spfxted that I don't nudge either..and those that are "excessive" like the bruised hand, have no play at my house..and my machines reflect that.

No need to be a dick about it. Don't nudge all you want, just don't invite me over to play.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

I'm a player that enjoys pinball. I don't aggressively nudge, slide or beat on games (my own or anyone elses). I'm especially respectful of other pinhead's games. If I drain 3 balls... I simply hit the "start game" button.
I own quite a few games (25+). I've put on many pin parties / events. I really enjoy sharing my collection with friends, scouts and soccer teams (6 years as coach). However, I'm not happy with people who abuse my games. I've had people shake them so hard its gouged / wrinkled my new cabinet decals
On party events; I've placed small signs on lock down bar "Please enjoy my games / don't Shake them". I also tighten up the legs bolts and tilt bobs... it only takes one hard / aggressive nudge / shake to do damage. I had a guy shake my White Water *so hard* it wrinkled all 4 legs. I just completed the restoration just 2 weeks prior.

Put the right protection on your legs. Spending that kind of money and not doing the metal 'inserts' for 15 bucks is a mistake imo.

#141 9 years ago

Last time I nudged I heard

Cheating makes baby Jesus cry!

#142 9 years ago

When I would play machines that had extremely slow bonus count scoring, sometimes I would purposefully push the machine just hard enough to tilt after draining a bad ball so that I didn't have to wait through its whole end-of-ball sequence for a pathetic amount of points.

#143 9 years ago

I say if they are not yours and the owner doesn't like it then ease back and suggest they tighten the tilt.
Nudge the damn things for god sake.
Pinball without nudge = hotdog without sauce.

#144 9 years ago

My tilts are set properly, beat on my shit and your games will be short. But please, employ proper pinball skills and nudge all day. You'll be fine I promise, so will I and my pins.

If they weren't meant to move there would be no legs at all, they'd be all cabinet to the floor like VG cabs are.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

they make these for the reason of nudging. Damage control.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1403
and it says in the description quote: "Every time a player "nudges" your pinball machine to try to save a ball they are putting pressure where the legs meet the cabinet causing the legs to dig into the cabinet PinGuard™ protectors save you all the worry of any damage occurring to your cabinet while your "friends" push it around the room trying to save their ball."
Again, Nudging is fine..it's the over aggressive people that make legs loose, decals around the legs wrinkle..and how many times have you seen a cabinet with "bondo" where the legs attached. Cabinet separation at the seams. Over zealous players.
Sorry, not on my machines.

If the decal wrinkling part worries you, why are you not using some kind of leg/cab protectors, just in case someone is a bit over-motivated? Actually, after some years in this hobby i've never met anyone not using protectors.

My machines are usually either re-decaled or have very good original decals. The pins are nudged, slap saved and even slide saved heavily and there is no sign of decal wrinkling at all.

I also don't use any kind of casters under the legs as they kind of "stick" the legs to the floor shifting the complete pressure from nudging from the leg/floor connection to the leg/cab connection. The legs need to be able to easily slide on the floor, otherwise you are unnecessarily stressing the leg/cab joint.

#146 9 years ago

Speaking about nudging,has anybody ever hurt or gotten a sore side or pulled a mussel by nudging up a modern heavy pinball machine

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

If the decal wrinkling part worries you, why are you not using some kind of leg/cab protectors, just in case someone is a bit over-motivated? Actually, after some years in this hobby i've never met anyone not using protectors.
My machines are usually either re-decaled or have very good original decals. The pins are nudged, slap saved and even slide saved heavily and there is no sign of decal wrinkling at all.
I also don't use any kind of casters under the legs as they kind of "stick" the legs to the floor shifting the complete pressure from nudging from the leg/floor connection to the leg/cab connection. The legs need to be able to easily slide on the floor, otherwise you are unnecessarily stressing the leg/cab joint.

Very true.
I also think that if the joint is firmly bonded with the leg screws that there is virtually no movement of the leg against a decal. It would certainly be worse for games where the legs are loose and rubbing on the cabinet to wrinkle a decal. I've seen many old games with original decals and no "protectors" that are are not wrinkled.

#148 9 years ago

Nudging is WRONG! Don't do it!!!

PS: please play against me for money

#149 9 years ago

Nudging is for amateurs. Sliding is where it's at. Much harder to master the slide without tilting. When I play in local tournaments, I always take note of the floor surface. Smooth tile and any polished surface are ideal for sliding. You just have to make sure that you don't slide into the game next to you. I've had some pretty epic slides in tournaments that didn't tilt. You also need to know what game you're playing. You don't want to tilt BSD on ball 3 when you got 50min on bats during ball 1.

That being said, I would never go to someone else's place and slide (or aggressively nudge) their machines...unless they do it first.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Speaking about nudging,has anybody ever hurt or gotten a sore side or pulled a mussel by nudging up a modern heavy pinball machine

My elbow gets sore quite often from pulling on my tftc... My muscles don't get sore but the tendons in my elbow do. I have rubber shoes for the feet on my machine and it does not slide or move.

There are 302 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-is-wrong/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.