Topic Stats

• 302 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ccotenj
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN3438.JPG
TILTPOLICE.jpg
nudge.jpg
image.jpg
th.png
nameofthegame.jpg
gary-stern-of-stern-pinball.jpg
358050-i.jpg
slika.jpg
image-750.jpg
punch.jpg
nudge.jpg
thats what she said.jpg

There are 302 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 4 years ago

I have a good friend (a non-pinhead) who insists that, "Nudging is wrong, and I choose not to do it."

I've told him it's integral to the game, and actually encouraged by many game designs (such as Centaur where you can nudge the ball back into play from the outlane)

Do you have any friends with strange concepts regarding nudging, and how do you talk sense into them?

Where do people get these ideas?

thanks,
-mof

#2 4 years ago

I think a non-pinhead might not know the difference between nudging and abuse.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

how do you talk sense into them?

You don't. You just let them lose.

#4 4 years ago

Once I went to a guy's house who had like 7 pins. He instructed us not to cradle because it burns out the coil....

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Once I went to a guy's house who had like 7 pins. He instructed us not to cradle because it burns out the coil....

What? You don't mod your games by removing the EOS switch?

#6 4 years ago

Usually it is people that don't know how to nudge or have never done it before, but I have heard basically exactly what you are describing time and time again.

#7 4 years ago

I do not nudge and ask people to nudge their own machines. My house, my rules. When I play at your house I go by your rules.
Also, some people don't want drinks on, or by their machines. I'm one of them.

#8 4 years ago

This comment almost always comes from non-pineads. We all know better...just watch the pros.

#9 4 years ago

...I know...it's just a phobia...I'll get over it...

#10 4 years ago

I'm sure the tilt mechanism is there for a reason.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You don't. You just let them lose.

YEAAAAAH BUDDY! Now that's doing it right!

Ted, I'm never coming to your place to play pinball...unless you've put rubbers across the outlanes. Then your request is fair.

I mean, yeah...seriously... Centaur like mentioned above, I guess they just put those posts in the outlanes just to waste parts, right? Figured the rest of the game is so "WTF" might as well take it the extra mile!

#12 4 years ago

IM without nudging is a pretty damn quick game.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

When I play at your house I go by your rules.

Does that mean if we tell you to nudge you will?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Also, some people don't want drinks on, or by their machines. I'm one of them

Also, out of courtesy, I always remove any rings on my fingers, so not to scratch the host cabinets.

Quoted from kvan99:

IM without nudging is a pretty damn quick game.

Oh, and that too. Ain't no fun without nudging.

#15 4 years ago

When I first got into the hobby, or rather got BACK into the hobby, I never nudged. As a kid, I didn't nudge because I was either too small or, later on, didn't want to lose my ball dude to nudging the game. I always saw nudging as a penalty and didn't recognize that there was a fine line in there where nudging could be used to keep the ball in play. Once I had my own machine and learned how to play it reasonably well, I finally came to learn that there are just certain times you either nudge or lose the ball. If you're going to lose it anyways, it's worth the risk of a tilt to try and save it. Now, I see it as an integral part of the game, however, it's still only a part of the game, and I really don't like watching people who are constantly bumping and nudging, it isn't THAT big a part of the game. That also depends on the era/style/design of the pin, though.

#16 4 years ago

Sounds like something out of a pinball bible: Nudge not, lest ye be nudged.

#17 4 years ago

Try ST:TNG without nudging ......

It is essential to the game, if you get heartbroke over it, make the tilt more sensitive. But nudging is a must, not kicking the game around the room .... there is a slight difference

#18 4 years ago

My teenage daughters male friends are very competitive. They don't like me beating them at pinball. They constantly tell me that I am a "cheater" because I nudge the pin.

I've explained the tilt mech etc. a hundred times. Doesn't matter. NUDGING IS CHEATING and that's why I win!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

how do you talk sense into them?

Ask him what he thinks tilt warnings are for. If you weren't supposed to nudge, you wouldn't get a warning, the game would just tilt.

Quoted from spfxted:

Also, some people don't want drinks on, or by their machines.

This is fine. There's a big difference between doing something unnecessary which can actually damage the game and using a tactic that's a part of the game.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I do not nudge and ask people to nudge their own machines. My house, my rules.

You're doing it wrong.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Also, out of courtesy, I always remove any rings on my fingers, so not to scratch the host cabinets.

Why would anybody have rings on their fingers?

#22 4 years ago

Pinball without nudging.......

Sex without intercoarse......

Same difference?

#23 4 years ago

i don't intentionally discuss pinball with non-pinheads and i most definitely do not care about their non-informed opinions about how the game is played.

side note: I do not nudge other people's machines like i would my own, even if it's at league not for money. It really depends on the host, though.

#24 4 years ago

WOF = Greatest nudging SS game of all time!

Gotta love the nudge.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

Same difference?

I'm going to go with, "No."
If by "intercourse" you mean, "conversation", then I have no comment.

Metaphors are not for everyone... use at your own risk.
-mof

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You're doing it wrong.

thats what she said.jpg
#27 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I have a good friend (a non-pinhead) who insists that, "Nudging is wrong, and I choose not to do it."
I've told him it's integral to the game, and actually encouraged by many game designs (such as Centaur where you can nudge the ball back into play from the outlane)
Do you have any friends with strange concepts regarding nudging, and how do you talk sense into them?
Where do people get these ideas?
thanks,
-mof

There is a guy in downtown Cincinnati that runs a pinball parlor. He has about 15 games in there. A lot of good titles from early 80s to late 90s. He has a rule, "If you tilt once, you get a warning. If you tilt twice, you are asked to leave." I stopped going once I found this out by getting my first warning.

#28 4 years ago

I can't imagine not nudging a machine. Teach someone new to pins to do it right, then you don't have to worry about them doing it like apes. Pushing opposite the direction you want that ball to go is usually the first thing I show someone after they lose a ball down the outlane.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I can't imagine not bumping nudging a machine. Teach someone new to pins to do it right, then you don't have to worry about them doing it like apes. Pushing opposite the direction you want that ball to go is usually the first thing I show someone after they lose a ball down the outlane.

took me forever to learn this naturally. first instincts are to nudge in the direction you want the ball to go. Hard for me to get over that.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

There is a guy in downtown Cincinnati that runs a pinball parlor. He has about 15 games in there. A lot of good titles from early 80s to late 90s. He has a rule, "If you tilt once, you get a warning. If you tilt twice, you are asked to leave." I stopped going once I found this out by getting my first warning.

Awesome story. I'm resisting suggesting 10 of us should call him from 6pm-7pm and ask what the tilting rules are, and then go ape-$hit mad when we learn we can't tilt. Resisting.
-mof

#31 4 years ago

people who dont play just dont know, but some sure THINK they do. if you can nudge it without tilting it go for it. some big solid heavy machines barely budge and tilt is sensitive, you dont know until you try and it sure isnt criminal!

ps.. cradling the ball on a zizzle for much longer than 1 second, might be criminal.

#32 4 years ago

nudging has been part of pinball (and bingos) since day 1... geez...

nudging isn't "optional" on the machines i (and many others) play... it's required...

hell, if you can't downright manhandle some 60's machines, you will NEVER win... ever...

but then again, i play with my ring on my finger too...

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I do not nudge and ask people to nudge their own machines.

Same for me, and I know I'm in the minority on this and the nudgers will think I'm uncool. BUT . . . I think after watching some people look like neurotic _________, and shaking the living hell out of machines, I never developed a desire to play like that. I'll stick with the random bounce of the ball. I HAVE 'bumped' a pin a few times when a ball was trying to make up it's mind of which direction it wanted to roll on the outlanes.

And on a more selfish note, I just want to preserve my machines the best I can, no shaking, no scratching the floor with shifting legs, and no loose legs, etc., which seems slightly abusive to me.

It may all be in my head, but I like being kind to my pins.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

Same difference?

"Wink, wink... NUDGE, NUDGE."

#35 4 years ago

For myself, it depends
My own games I will shake hard, and have been know to kick it in frustration
Other peoples games, it depends on the machine. I went to a friends house a month ago, about 10 machines, on his LE star Trek, I would shake it a little, on his old Capcom I found myself shaking it harder

#36 4 years ago

In the past year, while explaining what I like about pinball, I've had at least a dozen people say "Wait, that's not illegal?!?"

I was once one of those people.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Same for me, and I know I'm in the minority on this and the nudgers will think I'm uncool. BUT . . . I think after watching some people look like neurotic ________, and shaking the living hell out of machines, I never developed a desire to play like that. I'll stick with the random bounce of the ball. I HAVE 'bumped' a pin a few times when a ball was trying to make up it's mind of which direction it wanted to roll on the outlanes.
And on a more selfish note, I just want to preserve my machines the best I can, no shaking, no scratching the floor with shifting legs, and no loose legs, etc., which seems slightly abusive to me.
It may all be in my head, but I like being kind to my pins.

It's one thing to not want people to beat the crap out of your pin, but it's quite another to say no nudging at all.

If you don't want people nudging your pins hard, simply set up the tilt tight and make sure your slam tilt is sensitive.

#38 4 years ago

NAVL nudges the machines harder than we ever will.

#39 4 years ago

Reading all this, all I can say is thank god I have an awesome operator nearby so I can nudge on his games without feeling guilty.

I've been told that I hit the buttons too hard when playing in a private collection - I tap them and don't maintain contact with the buttons. That makes more noise. Near as I can tell, the leaf switches are getting the same amount of use either way, but it's just a quicker way for me to realize it's not that fun playing someone's private collection. Like, thanks for opening up, but I'm just going to feel self-conscious playing your games.

#40 4 years ago

I always encourage a nudge. How bout a slide tilt?

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Gate-keeper:

I always encourage a nudge. How bout a slide tilt?

I will slide the game from side to side if there is room, and the tilt is loose enough. The TWD at my local watering hole is a perfect example. being able to slide that bad boy is essential to surviving and not have to pay a small fortune to play for a few hours. doesn't hurt the game at all IMO. No reason for the game to ever leave the ground or for rage pounding/shaking it. that is the stuff I personally cannot stand.

#42 4 years ago

When I was 5, I wasn't big enough to nudge like the older kids. But man, I grew out of that!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

but then again, i play with my ring on my finger too...

....!

#44 4 years ago

To the people who do not nudge a new machine for fear of 'hurting' it,
do you also buy a new car and then avoid driving over speed bumps?
And imagine the amount of jostling the machine had as it rode in the
back of a truck for a thousand miles or so. I don't think my nudging
could ever add up to the toll inflicted by transit. And the games work fine.

Here's some palm damage from aggressive nudging.
nudge.jpg

Here's some knuckle damage from punching the glass.
punch.jpg

All injuries inflicted on my home machines. The steel and glass show no damage.
I'm more calm in public.

#45 4 years ago

While I recognize that I should be nudging, I struggle with doing so. As a rookie nudger, it feels as though my nudging skills kill me more then they save me. Practice practice practice I guess...

#46 4 years ago

If you don't nudge, you are not doing it right.
Tell your friend to start nudging or give up pinball and take up scrap booking.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from JDD:

All injuries inflicted on my home machines. The steel and glass show no damage.
I'm more calm in public.

I had to check the title of your home machine. Those pictures all make sense.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Awesome story. I'm resisting suggesting 10 of us should call him from 6pm-7pm and ask what the tilting rules are, and then go ape-$hit mad when we learn we can't tilt. Resisting.
-mof

DO IT!

#49 4 years ago

i don't nudge, never have, probably never will, but most of my pinhead friends nudge very efficiently. it is part of the game. (they can nudge at my house.)

I have won 1st place in tournaments (pinball wizards Allentown, i think it was 2002 or 2003 without nudging. 2nd place york, i think that same year 2003).

but the question is do you need to nudge?

#50 4 years ago

Go watch the A division at PAPA one year and you will understand why you need to learn how to nudge.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 249.00
$ 269.00
$ 279.95
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Haus
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
RPGCor
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 72.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 35.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 209.99
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 302 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside