• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Charger500
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

meee (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Forward nudge all the time to get it out of the inlane/ outlane area

Yes! Not sure which way to go? Just always go upwards. When it hits the top of the slingshot or inlane/outlane divider, don't let it decide which way to fall...shove into the ball to bounce it back up towards the top of the playfield.

Quoted from Damien:

I have a MMR, and before putting rubber feet on, it seems like a nudge from the side would move the machine more than the ball. Once I put the rubber feet on, I got more control in redirecting the ball.

I think a lot of people incorrectly think that the goal with nudging is to move the ball. It isn't. (There isn't enough friction between the playfield and the ball to make much of a difference.) The goal is to move something into the existing path of the ball to redirect it.

Example: you can tell the ball is heading directly into the outlane. Usually, the best thing to attempt is to move the inlane/outlane divider (which on many modern games has a small round rubber at the top) up and out...into the direct path of the ball. Now, instead of going straight into the outlane, it will hit hopefully the post and head in a different direction.

Quoted from Damien:

So my question is... Do you not want resistance to be able to nudge more effectively? Does it make more sense to have a machine that stays in place or moves around when you nudge?

If the ball is coming STDM, you can attempt a slide save. (I wouldn't necessarily call this nudging, but it does involve moving the machine). The ball is going to continue on the same trajectory regardless of what you do, so your goal is to slide the machine to the side enough that the tip of a flipper has now moved into the path of the ball. (You probably want to flip as you are doing this, so that the flipper is horizontal at the moment that it intersects with the ball...which gives you the furthest "reach").

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ryanwanger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-how-do-i-do-it-right?tu=ryanwanger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.