Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by action76
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dmcomplete.JPG
04.JPG
03.JPG
02.JPG
01.JPG

#1 7 years ago

My first teardown. I realize there's a little more work to do here. But I've got access to most of the rubbers and playfield. I've put most of the new rubbers on and polished up the playfield.

God willing I'll be able to put it all back together. A bit scary... but I have to learn sometime.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Oh, and if some of you really wanted a nude man pic... here you go.

04.JPG

#2 7 years ago

Damn, I need to do the same thing to mine, just have not made the jump yet... How did you organize your teardown list?

#3 7 years ago

Why and the world would they put that shot on a pinball machine???

#4 7 years ago

Looks REALLY nice!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Damn, I need to do the same thing to mine, just have not made the jump yet... How did you organize your teardown list?

Organize shmorganize. I just busted out the tools and started going. Actually, I just went at the easiest pieces first. As I've taken them off I've taped the screws/nuts/washers to wherever I took them out from. Lots of wires to pull out from underneath... I've labeled both sides so I can get them put back together. I've arranged the pieces on the floor the way I took them off. So when it comes time to go back on I'm going to try and work in reverse order.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Why and the world would they put that shot on a pinball machine??? []

I know... thankfully he stays hidden behind T2 most of the time.

Quoted from tripp:

Looks REALLY nice!

Thanks!

#6 7 years ago

Ahh, I thought you had labeled everything, but taping all the nuts and screws to their corresponding part is definitely a good idea. It actually looks like a lot more work looking at the machine with everything on. Thanks for posting.

#7 7 years ago

Well done, it is always nerve racking the first time, just take your time (and keep lttle kids away from the work area).....

#8 7 years ago

Why and the world would they put that shot on a pinball machine???

To keep the machine affordable for collectors

#9 7 years ago

He's naked? At least you can't see his naughty bits.

#10 7 years ago

LOLOLOLOL Naughty bits..... Funny sh--!

#11 7 years ago

I would of call this pics XXX

#12 7 years ago

Looks clean Rascal!
Time to put that 'Radiohead' on and do work!
I bet it will only take you a couple of albums...

#13 7 years ago

Looks clean Rascal!
Time to put that 'Radiohead' on and do work!
I bet it will only take you a couple of albums... []

Aw man, that would have been so much better than the crap that was on TV.

Anyway, it's done! Started this morning and finished at 1:11 AM. Not too bad for my first time.

Still have a flipper off because I'm waiting on a rebuild kit to be delivered.

dmcomplete.JPG

#15 7 years ago

Looks very clean, Rascal.

#16 7 years ago

Well played Rascal...Very well played!

+1!
Now all that is left to do Rascal is to make it into a centerfold pictorial, so that we can ____ to it's seductive "shininess"...

#17 7 years ago

It was an important part of the story I guess and it isn't offensive-I can't see it helping to sell pins though. The miss the lack of nice female bodies on pins. There hasn't been much to ogle at since the early 80's.

#19 7 years ago

Man now I have to do this... Did you do the GI lighting on top with LEDs as well or just the under playfield lights?

#20 7 years ago

it looks good rascal. did you install leds on it? looks like the ball freeze inserts are different color..and i see some blue in the back of the playfield? congrats!!

i'm about to strip mine down after the pinbrawl expo. haven't had anytime since i bought her 2 months ago.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Jay_Allegro:

Man now I have to do this... Did you do the GI lighting on top with LEDs as well or just the under playfield lights?

Up top? I have LED in the backbox... can't remember if I finished that though. When I had the playfield all stripped down I took the opportunity to replace the GI that are on the back wall of the (otherwise they'd be tough to get to). Waiting to do the rest of the GI because Marco mistakenly sent me 555 for GI instead of 44.

My remaining issues:
- new lockbar assembly... not the bar itself, but the mechanics are all screwed up and bent. I've got a new one on the way.
- rebuild the flippers. Parts on the way.
- the 'Super Jets' switch outhole of the CryoClaw is a nightmare. Constantly gets hung up there. I ordered a new switch that hopefully lets the ball pass through more freely. If that doesn't work I need to jack up the back and have a ridiculous playfield angle (hope I don't have to do that).
- need a 2.5" rubber because one didn't come in the DM rubber kit for some reason.
- LED GI

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Up top? I have LED in the backbox... can't remember if I finished that though

i think he was refering to the GI's on 'top' of the playfield. did you order the 3 flipper rebuild kit? (it's a better deal than getting the 2 kit..or individual pieces.)

Quoted from Rascal_H:

- the 'Super Jets' switch outhole of the CryoClaw is a nightmare. Constantly gets hung up there. I ordered a new switch that hopefully lets the ball pass through more freely. If that doesn't work I need to jack up the back and have a ridiculous playfield angle (hope I don't have to do that).

i think you may just need to do some tweaking. this seems to be common among most DM machines. i think its just poor design. maybe lower the switch a little bit (make sure it still registers). also, the ball exit trough may be off line.

if i've learned anything from williams pins its that more often than not it just mechanical adjustments..not replacements.

take some 'twilight' pics of your machine (backbox and playfield) so we can see the leds!!

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i think he was refering to the GI's on 'top' of the playfield. did you order the 3 flipper rebuild kit? (it's a better deal than getting the 2 kit..or individual pieces.)

Oh. Actually, I left a lot of the rubber covered ones as bulbs. The kit I had gave me some frosteds to use there that I might try, but I sorta like the bulbs there for now.

Really wish I had thought of ordering the 3 flipper kit. Got the 2 flipper kit and forgot all about the 3rd. I'll have to order that 3rd one too.

i think you may just need to do some tweaking. this seems to be common among most DM machines. i think its just poor design. maybe lower the switch a little bit (make sure it still registers). also, the ball exit trough may be off line.

Yeah, I'm just going to need to play with it for awhile. I bent the hell out of the switch that was on there trying to fix it... so I got a new switch to start from scratch.

#24 7 years ago

You think that's nuts, check out the promo video. I had to watch for a good minute before deciding, yes, that is technically a woman. Why or who made her do that to her hair. The humanity.

Don't miss the "sex" scene at 3:45. (You have to have seen the movie to get the joke).

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

The humanity.

LMFAO
Thanks for that jonnyo that made me laugh pretty hard. The humanity is right!!!

#26 7 years ago

Ahh, it feels so good to fix things!

Tonight's fixes

- new lockbar assembly. Replaced the whole bent up mess that wouldn't allow me to clamp onto the lockdown bar. Now I can!

- rebuilt 2 out of the 3 flippers (forgot a rebuild kit for the top flipper)

- Fixed the 'Super Jets' switch outhole of the CryoClaw. Installed a new switch that lets the ball pass by smoothly instead of hanging it up. I did an AWWWWWFUL, MESSY soldering job.... surprisingly enough, it works.

- Installed replacement 'Retina Scan' eyeball. The old one was all dried up.

- Installed all the LED GI! Took some pics but they always come up really crappy on my phone so I won't bother to post.

Not a whole lot left to do except for the leveling machine properly ... and playing!

#27 7 years ago

Good to hear Rascal.
It is always nice when all you have to worry about is leveling the machine and choosing what shiny new balls to use in it.
Oh, and the occasional PF cleaning too!
Good times,
Enjoy your DM!

#28 7 years ago

Good job on the repairs. Your right, it feels good to get something working you've been working on!

Quoted from Rascal_H:

- Installed replacement 'Retina Scan' eyeball. The old one was all dried up.

Were you able to purchase a new one somewhere? I could never find one and ended up having to repair one of the dried up ones I had.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from jonnyo:

Don't miss the "sex" scene at 3:45

that was soo funny. the acting was outstanding. i hadn't seen that teaser before, very cool. i kind of forgot how cheesy the mid 90s were (clothing/fads).

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from action76:

Were you able to purchase a new one somewhere? I could never find one and ended up having to repair one of the dried up ones I had.

i purchased one from marcos within the last month;

http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=20%2D9935

still in stock

#31 7 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/product.asp?ic=20%2D9935

still in stock

Yeah, I got mine from Marco as well. Ended up with yellow (they give you a random color unless you call)

#32 7 years ago

The Super Jets switch on the CryoClaw started to hang up the ball again (ugh). Ended up just taking out one of the screws and tilting it forward. Not very pretty solution but it works.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from action76:

I bought one from Marco as well, got the blue one. Bay Area Amusements has them as well, for almost half the price.

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-DM20-9935&Category_Code=GS-662&Product_Count=19

#34 7 years ago

Quoted from FlipperMagician:

I bought one from Marco as well, got the blue one. Bay Area Amusements has them as well, for almost half the price.

Thanks guys! I swear I checked all the usual places. Maybe I was just not typing in the the right search terms. I think I looked for "eyeball"...oh well, I know now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 269.99
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Honeoye, NY

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside