NuCore GREP.png
QEMU GREP.png
motion to dismiss.png
vw-oh-snap-o.gif
kate.jpg
28615_giveItAway_gnd1.jpg
rocket.jpg
DSC01451.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Totally agree with this. Get out while the gettin is good. Once the game is dead its nearly worthless, hard to sell, can't be fixed (depends), and in your way.

It does not seem that they really die all that often...

I am sure it happens, but sounds like plenty of pros that can work on them if they do...

#56 10 years ago

BRING BACK NUCORE!

The people have spoken and there is a need/desire.

Be more open with us and I am sure MANY would pitch in to get things back off the ground (if that is what is needed).

1 week later
#72 10 years ago

I also want to say THANKS for NUCORE!!!! I hope production returns soon. It is an amazing product and much needed.

i commend all of those that put the hard work into making it happen!!!

1 year later
#145 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

and then the people doing that will get sued ... yes, works for everyone ...

you are going to have a hell of a job trying to find and sue every used of pinbox...

#238 9 years ago

Pasted for those that want to read here

"We are not out of business. We’ve been busy servicing all of our paying Nucore clients. In July of 2013, legal documents were drawn up to allow us to continue to produce Nucore. Rick was on board as well. Two weeks later, the person in the lawsuit (master geek) released Pinbox and ruined it for everyone. It is our intention to bring this person to justice and to release a future version of Nucore with new features. Federal lawsuits take time and we need to clean up the mess before doing anything else. We spent thousands of hours on this product. We have hundreds of paying customers who paid their hard earned money. We paid Wayne, Gene and Rick a licensing fee for the right to do this. This person stole our copyrighted software and the copyrighted ROMs. We cannot discuss the details of the case but will provide periodic updates here on our site. In the meantime please respect our IP and be patient: NUCORE WILL RETURN."

1 week later
#429 9 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

Although this is an interesting topic to discuss, nobody knows the true facts of the situation. Most of these posts are "if" and "might" type posts, with no facts. Why not let Don and Chuck finish their lawsuit, then I'm sure the true facts of the situation will be revealed and most of you will probably be surprised.
I doubt anybody would want their personal lawsuit discussed on an open forum, and I'm sure this thread isn't helping Don and Chuck's cause.

It may be helping the case of the guy that they are trying to do damage to and from what it appears on the surface, the Nucore guys may in fact be the ones that were violating original copyright agreements concerning the root of the Nucore coding?

Pretty funny that a bunch of butt hurt egos is going to end up costing these guys a bunch of time, energy, and money when it is possible they built nucore on the backs of others coding efforts.

Pot, meet kettle...

#441 9 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

The only thing I see regarding this fuckfest is the price of SW & RFM tanking....that's all & stay tuned!

unlikely as VERY few have ever had a problem with the PRISM or CPUs and Rob is a whiz at fixing them anyway. Nucore was a nicety at best and Pinbox is readily available now if you know where to look. The outcome of this whole drama is likely some lawyers with more money and some brusied egos.

IMHO, the value of pin2K no longer is impacted by the worry of a obsolete system since pinbox got out of the bag.

#446 9 years ago

http://www.bigguyspinball.com/whatis.shtml

google is your friend. First hit for "nucore pinball"

4 weeks later
#488 9 years ago

I don't understand all the legality but on the surface it sure does appear that nucore guys had stolen and used the open source code for their own profit. That is pretty messed up that they are then trying to sue someone else for release the code they were supposed to have originally kept open source.

Equally messed up is that I purchased a nucore for a premium at one point and the Nucore guys would not provide ANY support for the product. When contacted at one point I was actually told the product is no longer being sold or supported and then no further reply.

#491 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

You don't understand the legality and then accuse us of stealing?

Don and I have never stopped supporting Nucore. We have helped dozens of people with misc issues and just recently two people who posted here were very happy with the extensive support they received. Whoever you talked to was misinformed and it certainly wasn't Don or myself. We have gone to great lengths to make sure people who have purchased Nucore get support.

I said it sure "appears" that the nucore code is stolen from that source code... Is it not? Sure appears to my layman eyes as VERY similar in the evidence docs.

I bought a nucore as a safety net for my RFM and then saw all the trouble people were having with installing and using it once they went to use it. I attempted to sign up through the 'support' forum and never was able to sign in. I then messaged via the contact tab on your (I assume your?) website to inquire about support and install and got a message back saying that nucore was not currently for sale and got ZERO support. I ended up selling the Nucore after realizing it was just a paper weight to me and my RFM CPU worked just fine so it was silly to have as a "backup". It was also nice to know pinbox was out in the world in case I ever needed it. No support, No product, and no immediate need let me know that I was better off getting rid of it.

#493 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

It was not stolen. You may want to refrain from accusing people of theft when you don't understand the circumstances as you stated yourself. The situation is indeed complex and we would not sell a stolen product.
The contact page is an email that goes to both Don and me. We respond to all support emails. If you were requesting to purchase Nucore we would have sent a response saying it was not for sale. There is no auto responder and we have never refused to help support anyone.

Stop getting your panties in a bunch. I did not accuse you of stealing, but feel free to try and slap me with a lawsuit if you like. LOL.

I will say you are 100% wrong. I messaged through the big guys pinball (or whatever the page is/was for nucore) and was flat out told no sales and no support at that time. I am not going to dig through my emails to try and find a response that was from a few years ago, but it was made very clear that the project was dead at that time, no new support on your 'support forum' and no help at that time. I don't know whom was fielding emails at that time but that is what I was told back then. Was enough to convince me I was silly to have bought it and happily dumped it when I found someone looking for one.

#504 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You admit you don't understand it... Yet conclude what they did and what they were required to do?
Not very bright

Point_over_your_head.jpegPoint_over_your_head.jpeg

#548 9 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

So are Nucores currently being produced?

what do you say chessiv?

are they being produced now? yet? when?

2 months later
#702 9 years ago

It will apparently take multiple experts to rule on the Nucore using open source stuff, but can someone answer a more basic legal question surrounding the suit against pinbox?

What damages can company A sue for when the person that supposedly released their product did it for no money while at the same time the original company A was completely dead with no sales and had been for quite a while?

I know we have a bunch of lawyers on here.
What damages can company A try to recoup? What damages can they claim are actually done and what will they need to prove to recoup these losses?

It is my understanding that company A had zero public presence and was all but gone until pinbox was released.

#707 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Things have value... Even if not actively being marketed. Assets have value both in expended costs and market value even if not realized yet.
If you steal apples next super product and sell it as your own... Do you really think apple wouldnt slay you and argue how their future sales and competitive edge was damaged by your action?

To be more accurate it would be like releasing the code to one of apples old products which they have publicly stated is no longer in production and has been sold out for a while, and apple has said they are closing the doors and not making anything again.

You would also need to add on the fact that they stopped servicing customers and answering emails during the dark era when the product was gone for good. I actually owned a nucore at one point but had yet to install it. I started seeing the numerous reports on here about people having troubles with install when they went to drop it in. I tried to make contact with nucore multiple times and got zero response. This tells me the company was all but dead until the pinbox thing came along. I ended up selling my nucore after realizing it was a potential paperweight in the future with no customer service or support if my non-tech abilities needed it.

Will a company have a reasonable case of expended costs and potential future sales for a product that no longer existed, was completely sold out, and they were no longer servicing?

#710 9 years ago

I am not campaigning anything. I purchase a Nucore directly from one of your beta testers/ builders after I missed getting one of the last 5? from PBL after you guys abruptly decided to end production with very little backstock and moth ball the company.

After getting my nucore, I emailed you NUMEROUS times once I saw that people were having issues with what was supposed to be a plug and play replacement. I bought nucore as a security net IF my original ever failed and then quickly realized nucore had failed me even before I possibly needed it.

After getting NO response to any of my emails to your website contact, I decided it was a worthless piece of equipment to me as it was no longer supported and sold it to someone else that wanted one.
There are many many posts on pinside from people needing help with install and getting no response after you had closed the doors on the business. i even remember when other smart IT guys like alex were jumping in and trying to help people on here because nobody at nucore could be reached...

#712 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Going to call Bull on that one. Too many posts about how to get around the Ubuntu installation issues since it needs 8.04LTS but the installation required repository files that are long gone.

yes, after I was seeing numerous posts about this, I reached out to Nucore MANY times and got NO response. After seeing that guys whom are relatively tech savvy were having problems on their own I knew Nucore was worthless to me without proper support and them being out of business (at that time at least)

#719 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

This is not true. And you had better prove your statements because we will not tolerate your defamatory postings much longer.

LOL. Defamatory?

I went to this laughably current website where the latest and greatest news is from 2010...
http://www.bigguyspinball.com/index.shtml

clicked on the contact info page and emailed off NUMEROUS times with no reply from your contact email address provided

I also went to the supposed support page/forum where there has been no activity since 3 years ago when the product went dead and was no longer sold.
http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewforum.php?f=18http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewforum.php?f=18

How about you email back your damn customers (I guess since I did not buy direct from you I was never your customer???) when they have problems and then maybe they won't feel like they need to tell the truth on internet forums of their bad experiences. Your product was dead and you did not reply to ANY contact I attempted to ask regarding the issues people were having with Ubuntu. After realizing there was no service I sold the product and thankfully will no longer need it since I sold my game.

#751 9 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

I sold my system to a guy named Hilton. Never knew he was on Pinside.
His system was re-packaged into a fresh new Nucore case, and tested in my machine before shipping, with a 24 hour 'burn-in'. I left the machine on for 24 hours, played few games, and it ran fine.
I may have some videos, and pictures somewhere, demonstrating it was working before it went out.
His Nucore kit was plug and play, when it left my home.
Sorry to hear it developed an issue. I do not recall receiving any correspondence from you, after the sale, shipment.
What was the specific issue in your machine?

The nucore you sold me never had a problem. I saw on here the numerous posts of people having issues with Ubuntu and it caused concern so I ...

I have been asked by mod team to not comment anymore and after threats of litigation, that is all I will say.

the system you sold me was fine. thanks

#753 9 years ago

edit so I can do as the mods say, but also make it more clear for you:

I attempted to contact them multiple different times.

early on I was told it was no longer for sale. later on I got nothing.

I found it to be very poor customer service (I guess understandable since it was for a product NLA). For anyone concerned about your P2K, there are good board techs that can likely help you with most issues. I would suggest going that route

5 months later
#772 8 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

those Pin2K systems are not going to get healthier

everyone always says this but reality is that few have stories of them dying and those that do have stories of them dying usually can reference www.lockwhenlit.com as the quick and cost effective solution.

#775 8 years ago
Quoted from asay:

Granted it works 100%.... has anyone put it through thorough testing?

yes, I know people that have been running it since it was out and no issues. 100s of games played on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.