NuCore GREP.png
QEMU GREP.png
motion to dismiss.png
vw-oh-snap-o.gif
kate.jpg
28615_giveItAway_gnd1.jpg
rocket.jpg
DSC01451.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Do you make it a habit of buying games with a fairly sizable failure rate of which there are no viable replacement parts? To me it made sense.

Totally agree with this. Get out while the gettin is good. Once the game is dead its nearly worthless, hard to sell, can't be fixed (depends), and in your way.

Quoted from chessiv:

"Due to these changes Don and I decided to suspend sales of Nucore. We’re calling this a suspension because we plan on continuing Nucore in the future. How far into the future is unknown but we will certainly let you know when it’s back."
The important word being suspend. There may be news in the near future with an update.
As for the reason, I never specified because it would have just created drama which no one needs.
Chuck

Sorry but to me this translates to "Nucore is no longer" just like pinchroma said. This is a thread where a guy needs to fix his game and is asking for a nucore. Can he buy one now? No. Is there an eta when he can? No. Nucore is gone. When/if you change that then this will change. No disrespect intended here. Your product was quite awesome and frankly the only way I'd own and run a pin2k. The video enhancement was worth it alone. But a guy that just brought home a dead pin2k doesn't want to wait an undisclosed amount if time to see "if" he can fix his game.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It does not seem that they really die all that often...
I am sure it happens, but sounds like plenty of pros that can work on them if they do...

I have gone through 8 pinball 2000's and of those 3 had dead PC boards. They die often.

Pros can fix it? Most pros are backed up 3 months. Plus its not always the caps. This is a full PC multilayer mother board. Way more complex than anything in pinballs. It's nothing like repairing a pinball board. You don't even get schematics. Find PC repair shops. How many if them will repair boards? None. They all just sell you a new one.

1 year later
#134 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Actually, I can. Owning a dead pin2k pin doesn't entitle you to steal the nucore guy's IP. Nucore is an important piece of tech. I hope they either start selling it again, license it to a third party or release it as open source once the lawsuit is resolved. Given two of the three desirable outcomes are predicated on commercial viability, using and/or distributing the pinbox release gets us nowhere.

I'm going to disagree here. If my machine dies, I am *entitled* to fix it and definitely will do so using whatever means necessary. Pinbox is "out there" and will be forever. If Nucore wants my sale then they'll need to be selling their product rather than sitting on it during litigation with third parties. If they aren't, as an end user I'll be using whatever else I can. If pinbox is available and also nucore is available, I will go the nucore route. However I refuse to sit idle waiting on lawsuits that hurt the general public with broken machines.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I tried pinbox and got as far as it booting and running in attract mode, but the switch matrix was screwed up and I could never get that bit figured out. It did teach me a little about Linux though.
Only own RFM now and the original computer is working great, but like others, I'd like an option should that ever change.
*do not ask me for pinbox software

I'm not here trying to offer Pinbox support either. But it works just like nucore and does not *cause* switch matrix problems. It's most likely that your switch matrix issues were real and inside the wiring.

Quoted from PPS:

because you are repackaging the software which you are not allowed to do - read the WMS license as this something that everyone has access to - if you read that you will understand what WMS setup as far as the code goes, and we operate under that license as well unless we get WMS to agree to let us deviate.

It could be left up to the user to package the software I think without issue.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

ok, everyone knows better, so we will let the experts discuss ...

i dunno. There are other issues with the license. As an end user, I didn't have to agree to a license when buying my machine. So I am not bound by one. I can see a guy selling something being bound by copyright laws but he also doesn't get tied to a license a company writes unless he agrees to it. Licenses writtenby companies aren't laws unless both parties enter the agreement. So its not the williams license that matters but the law. And fair use is part of the law. Unfortunately, people tend to buckle down because they don't want the headache to fight a battle that they should win against a company that has money to fight it.

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

I sympathize but lets say you own a classic car that requires special parts. Your car craps out and you can't buy replacement parts. Does that give you the right to break into my shop and steal spare parts from me to fix your car? I didn't sell the car to you. I don't even know you. I'm just the guy that busted his ass to come up with a replacement. If I knew you were in a jam, I'd totally try to help you out but if I caught you stealing from me I'd feel very differently. It's a tough situation for all concerned.
Rick says the rights aren't for sale. It sounds like they've got plans for the platform. Good luck guys!

This is way different. Breaking into your shop and stealing your parts actually costs you money because those parts are then lost. You are then out those parts. However, I would have no problems duplicating your parts on my own dime. That would cost you nothing - except potentially a lost sale. But let's say you were t selling the product anyway. Then you don't even lose a sale. In this case, with nucore not for sale, no one is harmed by using pinbox. People aren't going to wait years with dead machines. So pinbox users when nucore is unavailable aren't customers anyway.

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

and then the people doing that will get sued ... yes, works for everyone ...

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Suing the end users that just want their machines running isn't the way to do business. Anyone can sue anyone. It sucks that bigger companies use lawsuits to bully people around. I could sue you for damages due to stress you add by threatening lawsuits all the time and squashing innovation by hobbiest with these threats. And if I had a lot of money to put into that, it would be a real threat. Of course I'm not serious but you should get the point. It's ridiculous.

Companies need to start focusing on innovation and offering products to make money. Not trying to take legal action out on individuals trying to fix broken plastics, add a couple rules into a game they own, or fix a broken computer where parts aren't available.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

it's not as if we are not making anything nor do not make anything ...

then perhaps you should focus on all the great stuff you make and lay off the legal threats all the time. Then you'd be seen as the hero rather than the jerk . In all reality you do add a lot of benefit to the community and your stores are fantastic. I buy from them all the time. It's such a shame that has to be all undone by the constant and ridiculous policing of everything. Who cares if someone makes a new ramp that is not otherwise available or a trunk that won't break? You have 10,000 other products to sell. Rather than spending so much effort shutting down those other people, of which a lot of would win their lawsuits if you didn't bully them into submission, Why not focusing on providing better products and winning that way? Clearly you have the upper hand in that area.

#160 9 years ago
Quoted from BillPinball:

Sure Nucore would be awesome if it was ever resurrected but how bout someone build a NEW replacement motherboard to work with the Prism board since the MB is usually the weak link.

Making a replacement motherboard is a monumental task for the size of market we are talking about here. On top of that, you would still need the via bridge chip on it which isn't available anymore. I think this is technically way more difficult than writing a non nucore based emilator from scratch.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

and how would this discussion be any different with Gottlieb or Stern or JJP ... it wouldn't.

I don't know anything about Gottlieb. No one seems interested in making stuff for their games. As far as Stern is concerned, they seem to allow anyone to do anything they want in the area of mods. Also, they embraced the last community code changes not by threatening law suits, but instead by posting the updated code on their website for everyone to download. So it seems like it's *way* different.

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Not sure why I had "C&C's", must have been the auto checker on my cell for whatever reason. Anyway, I have heard directly from people making translites that they received some type of "you better stop" email or pm from you. You haven't kiboshed any alt translites then?

the most ridiculous one is stopping production of a ramp. A ramp! It didn't use any ip or graphics. It's just a ramp. It's a shame the people making some of these things are too passive to just say screw off and keep going about their business.

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

You're entitled to write your own simulator and/or reverse engineer using the system you own if the license permits it. I don't see how your having a $2,000 sunk cost in a pin entitles you to steal the Nucore IP.

There is no license. I dont agree to licenses when buying a pinball machine. Therefore I'm not bound by one.

#227 9 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

Great, then you're free to go build your own Nucore knock-off. Get yourself a Linux distro, emacs, gcc and go to town bro. It's all downhill from here. When you're done, feel free to make it open source and give it away to whomever you want.

Why should I spend my time doing all that when I can just google pinbox, download it, and install it? Geez.

Quoted from goatdan:

You can have a whole debate over it, but if I have a product that I am trying to, regardless of whether it is hamburgers or code for a pinball machine, if I do not want to give it away for free and you decide to come and take it, I look at it the same. By definition, you're right - however, try actually making a product that you want to copyright and seeing how it *feels* when people take it from you - people who might otherwise pay for it which does take money (something "physical") from me.

The thing is, in this case, pinbox does not equate to nucore lost sales. People with broken machines are not willing to wait an undetermined time to fix it. That means they're not nucore customers. In fact, if I can't fix my machine within a couple weeks, I figure something else out. No one is going to store a broken machine for years. That's just ridiculous.

The whole argument that a pirated work equates to a lost sale is stupid. In my past I have downloaded several things that I would never have purchased otherwise.

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If Pinbox did not exist, please explain how you could fix your machine in a couple weeks. Your logic shouldn't be that since a solution exists, even if it blatantly rips off people who had developed it, you should be open to using it because you want to fix your machine isn't really fair.
I think I'd feel different if Williams developed the solution to fix their own machines with and then pulled it as a solution, but seriously - you're talking about a couple of guys that spent a ton of time and effort developing a solution that worked, the sales of it weren't what they had hoped so they stopped producing it for a time. This does not suddenly entitle you to decide their work isn't moving fast enough so you should just take it.
Finally, you saying that it doesn't equate to a sale is just silly. If the machine is broken, and that is the fix, you would have paid for it. It's a lost sale.

I would absolutely never wait on nucore in the current state with a brick taking up space in my house or shop. I would either have gotten the original board fixed, found someone to sell a used nucore, bought one of these overpriced working computers, or have gutted the machine and made a video pin out of it and a pinball 2000 "kit" for an owner of the other machine. In any case, something would have been done and quickly. Nucore wouldn't see a dime in a year or whenever they get their act together. The only way it's going to cost them money is if their product is currently for sale. Anyone using pinbox today isn't costing nucore anything as none of those people are going to store bricked machines in hopes that nucore becomes available.

#231 9 years ago

Right. So let's take the logic further. We both agree that if our machines break today, nucore isn't getting a dime - be it now or later - to fix that machine as we are not waiting and need to fix it now. In that case, I would argue that using pinbox is *not* theft. Theft requires the owner of an item to have a loss - the stolen item. In case of ip theft, the case can be made that the loss is a sale. In this case where we agree that there is no sale and never will be, you may as well use pinbox as it harms no one. The people at nucore are unimpacted either way whether you fix the board, buy a new board, or use pinbox in this case.

#257 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Pasted for those that want to read here
"We are not out of business. We’ve been busy servicing all of our paying Nucore clients. In July of 2013, legal documents were drawn up to allow us to continue to produce Nucore. Rick was on board as well. Two weeks later, the person in the lawsuit (master geek) released Pinbox and ruined it for everyone. It is our intention to bring this person to justice and to release a future version of Nucore with new features. Federal lawsuits take time and we need to clean up the mess before doing anything else. We spent thousands of hours on this product. We have hundreds of paying customers who paid their hard earned money. We paid Wayne, Gene and Rick a licensing fee for the right to do this. This person stole our copyrighted software and the copyrighted ROMs. We cannot discuss the details of the case but will provide periodic updates here on our site. In the meantime please respect our IP and be patient: NUCORE WILL RETURN."

This post is quite inaccurate. First the release of pinbox didn't "ruin it for everyone". For we can now use pinbox while you grind your wheels on court. Nothing ruined. Second, this lawsuit should have nothing to do with whether or not the product is being sold. If williams or whomever was preventing sale due to the pinbox lawsuit, you could still sell your product without ROMs and let the users figure that out. By the way, several of us would be happy to use pinbox and pay you for the nucore. I mean there are so many options. But I'm afraid you guys are responsible for your situation.

Oh and I see Rick *is* involved. So much for him say he isn't.

#317 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

and how would this discussion be any different with Gottlieb or Stern or JJP ... it wouldn't.

And back to this point here is an active thread. I don't see stern in there crying lawsuits or trying to shut them down. Do you?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-improved-t-rex-work-in-progress

#393 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

The only thing that could change that is they used a GPL version that Deefunkt mentioned is now the norm for that library... (not LGPL)... in that cause, they are "infected" and either have to release the whole thing, or get rid of the libary, or try to use the older LGPL one.
I think the reason the pitchforks are out against Nucore, is that people don't like lawyers. The fact they've sued anyone over this it outrageous (esp with some egg on their face now with the LGPL issues, as small as that may end up being). This is a niche market, they had disappeared for a long time.. guy thought it was abandoned, fixed it up and released it to the community. Yeah he made a mistake presuming. And I can't figured out why Nucore would just stop their plans to do this lawsuit.. that seems counter-intuitive.
anyways.. yeah.. going to go back to TBL threads.

Since they already took money and released the product, if they are infected by the GPL version, I don't think reworking the code is even an option. They would still have to release what they have at this point as open source. Then they could refactor their code but the problem is their curren code is now also GPL and refactoring without the library still causes their code to be poisoned. I think they're screwed if they used the GPL version.

They can still sell their product. They would just also have to provide the source code. Most people would still buy it. But I think their lawsuit would be squashed with this.

#413 9 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

You have to remember, Williams Electronics, Inc. still has the last say in everything and may have told their licensor and licensee to secure the problem before it is marketed further. This may be why we're not hearing much more from PPS and Big Guys Pinball.

It's impossible to "secure the problem". You can't go get the cracked copies off the internet and put them away. Those will be out there forever. Suing the guy doesn't solve anything in this regard.

1 month later
#536 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

The problem with Windows is we don't have control over the process scheduler like we do on Linux. We basically override it on linux to provide precise time while Nucore is running. You can buy a real time version of windows, or at least you use to be able to. But we still believed we wouldn't get the control we needed. Plus it would have added 200 bucks to the cost at the time.

This sounds like an outdated excuse. It's perfectly fine to not support windows for whatever reason like its costs or you just don't want to run on windows. But the task scheduler isn't the reason. Games like pinball fx2 run perfectly. This is just as time sensitive as real pinbsll software. Also ccc runs great on a cheap dual core windows pc.

#551 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

What exactly is your reasoning here? You want them to support another OS so you can do what exactly? Pay for an unnecessary Windows License?
Linux makes sense in this instance. You install the setup and never bother with it again so it isn't like in depth knowledge of Linux is needed.

I didnt say that they should support windows. I said that the reason for not supporting it shouldnt be the task scheduler. And I was quite clear on why.

Quoted from chessiv:

There's a big difference between running native software and emulating a system down to microsecond levels.

Fair enough. But I would blame this more on the emulation software available on Windows then (ms virtual pc and vmware player).

Quoted from Jazman:

Spoken by someone who truly doesn't understand the technical challenges of the task nor the real timing involved. Windows is not a real-time operating system. For that matter, neither is Linux. But, at least with Linux you have the source code and can get into the nitty-gritty to make it do what you need.
Jaz

Actually I understand the problem just fine, which is why I explained that I don't believe the issue is in the task scheduler. PCs are fast enough now a days with enough cores that we can rely on microsecond level granularity with no issues with other services running. Otherwise lots of software would be broken.

2 weeks later
#564 9 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

I can see a PI 2 working really well for emulation of the 2 older P2K games. You don't need a USB to anything converter for it. Use the I/O pins directly to emulate a parallel port.

I don't see this working well at all. For one thing, the Pi processor is arm big endian and the x86 pc needed for the pin2k is little endian. While this can be translated via software emulation, I think it adds another layer of complexity.

1 month later
#626 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I dunno man... After reading through that license, I'm starting to look at this a bit differently. If you had your website hacked and code stolen, then used to make all of your work essentially free, you'd be pretty upset too, everything you worked for gone in a poof.
Although I do agree that this probably wouldn't have hurt their sales a whole ton, it is impossible to know for sure, so the safest thing for them to do is make sure they can recoup some before releasing the next batch. The damage is already done here, once something is released, you can't pull it back in.
There is no doubt in my mind that if this guy legitimately hacked their website and stole code, then he committed a crime and should be punished for it.
I'm sure more pinheads would probably be interested in just dropping the $$$ on a plug and play set up vs finding dedicated compatible hardware for this and doing a linux installation & getting the program to run properly, even though it may seem trivial to someone familiar with computers. All I know is that if everyone had that sort of familiarity and comfort with computers, I wouldn't have a job.

From why I can see, no websites were hacked or source codes stolen. Everything that was done could be done by simply downloading the public nucore software. Companies don't keep their source code in the websites anyway. So what would be the point of hacking the website in this case

Legal or not, most people don't care. Pinbox is "out there" and once out, the cat can never be put back in the bag. The way to shut it down is for Nucore to get their product back on the market. Most people will use Pinbox since even right now there are no other options. Every day that nucore sits off the shelf because of a lawsuit or whatever is another day someone installs Pinbox to fix his machine. While people may talk big, when it comes to it, they'll do what they have to do to get their machines running now rather than having an expensive paper weight sitting around hoping a legal option comes.

#634 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

You're talking about decompiling an executable and reverse engineering it or taking the stuff off the install ISO? Plausible, as it is running within emulation anyway, if you really knew what you were doing. So you would have to be able to extract the necessary processes you needed to bypass the DRM from that. I honestly don't know enough about P2K or NuCore to know that exact process, but that is not an easy task for anyone. I'd like to meet that person if that is what happened. Hacking sys11 roms and writing new code & rules for games is tricky enough business. Pulling off something like this from an executable alone would be like that times 1000.

Software is cracked all the time (usually within hours of release for most major titles) and it's done without source code. I can't imagine keeping my source code on a web server. If someone wanted to crack some software I doubt they'd think getting into the company's web server as the first step.

Quoted from goatdan:

Oi, this argument again. People - THERE ALREADY IS A LEGAL OPTION, it's call FIX YOUR ORIGINAL STUFF.
Rob Anthony fixes this stuff.

Sorry but it's not all entiry repairable. Not every mother board is fixed by replacing caps. This is not a 100% option. Pinbox is. This doesn't help with broken / missing prism card, busted out crt etc. Most people aren't going to jump through hurdles in order to get their machines running.

It's a shame nucore has taken the long lawsuit road instead of getting the product onto the shelves.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 85.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

7,500 (OBO)
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.