Topic Stats

• 778 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images.jpg
11660886813_344f3a7bd4_o.png
giphy.gif
peltiericetest3.jpg
giphy.gif
c0de37db2473e77c7d66f583cbf6384651fbbac94fa67d6b7a9fda6a4f4ca38b.jpg
Point_over_your_head.jpeg
make-it-so-captain.jpg
NuCore GREP.png
QEMU GREP.png
motion to dismiss.png
vw-oh-snap-o.gif
kate.jpg
28615_giveItAway_gnd1.jpg
rocket.jpg
DSC01451.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonny_Jim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#673 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

they were developing a *completely new operating system from scratch*

Errr, did they really? Or did they take an off-the-shelf realtime OS and modify it to suit their needs?

#678 3 years ago

Oh, no doubt that the original Pin2k OS programmers had licensed their stuff from the realtime OS manufacturer, but it's bugging me that I can't remember the name of the OS it was based on. Part of me thinks it was QNX.

[quote]
The Williams license will never hold up. No hardware emulation has that I know of has ever lost in court.
[/quote]
I'm a bit late to the party on this one. I thought the two issues were:
1. Mr Pinbox is getting the sue ball thrown at him by Nucore
2. Nucore have been naughty boys by using QEMU and not following the license terms properly?

#681 3 years ago

Is Nucore statically or dynamically linked?

EDIT: Ah wait, that makes no difference with GPL2
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLStaticVsDynamic

#684 3 years ago

And to answer my own question:

XINA is actually an application layer on top of PC-XINU, a multithreaded operating system originally created by Douglas Comer and documented in a very well known two volume set of books.

From: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:sIAJGbpPEBgJ:www.videopenny.com/pinball/pinrepair/pin2000/xina.htm+&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

EDIT: Ha ninja'd

#686 3 years ago

So a quick glance reveals that Nucore uses:
SDL1
SDL_Mixer
SDL_Image
mpg123
Slirp
libftd2xx

The binary itself contains some strings such as:
/tmp/qemu-smb.%d
/etc/qemu-ifup
activate logging of the specified items to '/tmp/qemu.log'
qemu: Unsupported NIC: %s
Bochs Virtual HD Image
Error writing to qcow backend
pb2kemu: error: specified mcastaddr "%s" (0x%08x) does not contain a multicast address

pb2kemu: could not create samba server dir '%s'
0x74 - DMA DAC, 2.6-bit ADPCM Reference not implemented

So it almost certainly uses QEMU amongst a few other things. From what I gather, they *must* have modified QEMU/VirtualBox in some way to include it into their project, even if it was just to add on pb2kemu to the front of error messages. IANAL but it looks to me that they haven't followed the licenses properly. As parts of QEMU are covered under a BSD license rather than GPL2, it's possible that the code they are using is BSD, rather than GPL2.

#688 3 years ago

QEMU has a built in SAMBA server:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU#QEMU.27s_built-in_SMB_server

The thing that concerns me the most is that it seems that they have tried to censor any mention of QEMU in the error messages a user might see, for example:
"use thePB2KEMU_TMPDIR environment variable to set another directory where the PB2KEMU"[sic]

I'm pretty sure that should read:
"use the QEMU_TMPDIR environment variable to set another directory where the QEMU"

#690 3 years ago

Err, I think you are getting confused.

Pinbox are in deep sh*t with Nucore as they tried to pass off Pinbox as their own work.

Nucore could be in trouble with the FSF for not adhering to the terms of the GPL2 license, which was what my last two post were about.

It basically boils down to "he who lives in glass houses should not throw stones". Ie it's ironic that Nucore are suing pinbox for stealing code as it appears Nucore 'stole' code from QEMU and tried to pass it off as their own.

#696 3 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Again, we have stolen nothing. Random accounts keep popping up to try and say this but it's just not true. Again, we'll prove it in the near future.

So, why can't you say anything at the moment? Commenting on the QEMU issue should have nothing to do with the Pinbox issue.

It's a straight forward situation, you modified QEMU code and included it into Nucore.

Also, this isn't an 'emulation in the courts' issue, emulation has pretty much nothing to do with it. It's a GPL2 issue that can be fixed very easily by Nucore following the rules of the license properly.

EDIT: Digging further, it looks that there are bits of code in there that are covered by the LGPL. To comply with this you have to release the source code of the LGPL'd parts, including any modifications that were done.

#698 3 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Because the LGPL/GPL issues are one of the points the defense is using to try and get the case dismissed.

I can't see that going very well for the Pinbox guys.

From what I can see, there's parts of GDB in there (LGPL), some BSD licensed code and some parts that are GPL2. As I've said before, it wouldn't be too hard for Nucore to follow the license rules properly.

#700 3 years ago

Wait, what's your argument here? That Nucore not following open source licenses properly will somehow cause the collapse of VM usage?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 106.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sonny_Jim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside