NuCore GREP.png
QEMU GREP.png
motion to dismiss.png
vw-oh-snap-o.gif
kate.jpg
28615_giveItAway_gnd1.jpg
rocket.jpg
DSC01451.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jazman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

never yet sent out a single C&D ...

Maybe not technically, but you have intimidated and gotten stuff pulled by threat. So, while your statement may be true to actions, it certainly isn't true by the spirit of what you're trying to insinuate.

Jaz

1 week later
#433 9 years ago

Ug... I'm also in the medical device field and you had to go and mix my hobby and my profession by throwing around terms like SOUP. I come here to get AWAY from work... THANKS ALOT!!

Jaz

Quoted from sd_tom:

My understanding of section 6 of LGPL which covers static vs dynamic linking would indicated you can staticlink but would have to release object files and stuff so someone could relink the code. . huge pain
I guess regardless, it boils down to if Nucore complied with however they used LGPL or GPL code which nobody has claimed happened correctly yet. I hadnt seen what you quoted about Deefunkt specifically calling out that he suspected the GPL'd emulator had mods..which is bad for either LGPL or GPL.. And using GPL at all is really bad for them.
At any rate.. All my programming has been for defense (uav autopilots) and now medical devices where this stuff is treated as SOUP (software of unknown providence) and largely avoided . This whole thing sounds like a big pile of SOUP now.

#434 9 years ago

IF that response that asay posted is truly Mastergeek's response, then he must have an idiot for a lawyer (ie: representing himself). The link there for the US section 412 of the code points to a non-legal source at Cornell (ie: an internet link which has no legal standing whatsoever). In fact, it's pretty funny since the last line of the link on Cornell's site says this..
"LII has no control over and does not endorse any external Internet site that contains links to or references LII."

Too funny...

Jaz

1 month later
#484 9 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

In fact, the defense here seems to be:
"Nucore is a derivative work and as such is required to be released under the license from which it was derived. Therefore, BGP cannot suffer damages at the hand of defendant for simply enforcing the license implied by Nucore's use of the OSS from which it was derived.

That's how I interpret the defense as well.

I think it's actually one step further. What I read is (point 27) "The product was not for sale at the time the alleged acts happened, and continues to be unavailable, therefore no damages can be claimed since no sales were actually lost."

Remember, this is a civil case (ie: not criminal), so you need to prove that the alleged actions actually resulted in damages. So, in addition to saying that "We can't infringe on copyright that BGP didn't have", he's saying "they suffered no damages even if we did infringe".

That's how I read it anyway.
Keith

#525 9 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

i have (2) two Nucore systems installed in my games. i recently had the ssd drive in one of them go bad. it was so easy to fix.
1 ) install the new drive in the working system
2 ) get to the linux prompt
3 ) clone the drive
4 ) powerdown the working system
5 ) install the cloned drive into the non working system
6 ) boot up system(s)
7 ) change new system to SWE1 instead of RFM (cloned drive)
8 ) enjoy playing pinball and not worrying about prism cards or older hardware
if there are new things in the works to make this even better then i am so happy that i am on board!!!

I got very lucky as well. Right now, Nucore is a total mess right now unless you have a working system and it stays that way.

Around this time last year, the hard drive (spinning platter) in my Nucore system crapped out and would no longer boot. So, I said OK, I have all the disks and I should be fine right? WRONG.

I bought a new hard drive and pulled all my disks and instructions out. I went back and downloaded the latest from the BGP pinball site figuring that would be the best way to load stuff. Well, the latest and greatest failed. It was not possible to build the system from scratch. I also tried to load from scratch using the original disks and that wasn't possible either. The problem is that the Linux version they used at the time is simply no longer available and the stuff you need to install is NOT actually located on the install disk. By design, it is setup to go out to the web and download the files it needs as it goes. I understand this might be the "Linux way", but for an application like this... epic fail.

I then tried Pinbox. (edit: I don't have any issues personally (nor see any) since I am a fully paid, licensed user of the real stuff. It would be like me using a MAME for a MAME when I own the original ROMs for the machine). Epic fail there as well. Despite multiple attempts, no dice.

So, BGP tried hard to help me out. I give Don a lot of credit. He worked with me and gave me a number of things to try and tried to get it to work. But, to no avail.

At this point, I had spent substantial hours (around 15 hours) trying to get a product I paid for working. VERY frustrating.

My saving grace was that I was able to use and offline repair and cloning utility to clone my original hard drive. If that hadn't worked, I'm not sure I'd be working even today. The real issue though is, what if some of my other hardware had failed. For example, if I need to replace my motherboard or CPU, I think I'd be hosed. I've seen reference to the current Nucore build not working with USB3.0 ports (which is pretty much what everything has now). That may not be true, but may be. BUT, I know that the drivers loaded on my hard drive would likely not support the motherboard chipsets on a new board for USB and parallel port use.

I just hope they get this crap sorted out and can get back to selling and supporting a current version of Linux and hardware. I know I will be building a backup system (let's face it, PC hardware is dirt cheap so having duplicate pieces ready to go shouldn't be bad) so I can swap it out in the future if necessary.

Jaz

#543 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This sounds like an outdated excuse. It's perfectly fine to not support windows for whatever reason like its costs or you just don't want to run on windows. But the task scheduler isn't the reason. Games like pinball fx2 run perfectly. This is just as time sensitive as real pinbsll software. Also ccc runs great on a cheap dual core windows pc.

Spoken by someone who truly doesn't understand the technical challenges of the task nor the real timing involved. Windows is not a real-time operating system. For that matter, neither is Linux. But, at least with Linux you have the source code and can get into the nitty-gritty to make it do what you need.

Jaz

2 weeks later
#556 9 years ago

The system would need to be written to support it (ie: USB-to-parallel converter). The timing requirements of those communications are very tight and it might not work.

The bigger technical issue (at least as I see it) is that the Raspberry Pi 2 is ARM based and what they've done to date is x86 based. If they had wanted to support ARM, they could have done it a long time ago on the BeagleBone platform. The Raspberry Pi is just now getting horsepower to compete with that and it has been out for a long time.

For example, the BeagleBone is what some manufacturers of devices are going into production with (ie: in the pinball world, MMr for example). It's a pretty awesome little board. I've got a few sitting here at my desk in fact...

Jaz

#566 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't see this working well at all. For one thing, the Pi processor is arm big endian and the x86 pc needed for the pin2k is little endian. While this can be translated via software emulation, I think it adds another layer of complexity.

Actually, older ARM processors were also LE. However, current generation ARM processors are bi-endian. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

Jaz

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jazman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore?tu=Jazman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.