(Topic ID: 149041)

[Nucore/Resolved] SWE1 in RFM... What to do without a plunger?

By Jean-Luc-Picard

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rfmplunge10_(resized).jpg
rfmplunge1_(resized).jpg
rfmplunge6_(resized).jpg
20160115_233833_(resized).jpg
sw1_(resized).jpg
stick_(resized).jpg
detail_(1)_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jean-Luc-Picard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

EDITED: I just picked up a SWE1 kit and I am running it in my RFM cabinet via Nucore. I now just learned, SWE! uses a plunger not an auto plunge. So, trying to find a plunger with a button on it...

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Star Wars ep1 has a plunger. There is no auto launch.

Ahh, interesting. What do people do when they buy the kit to get the ball to launch? I guess install the solenoid and auto launch...

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

No they put a plunger in. Star Wars needs to not have an auto launcher. It's skill shot requires a short plunge and the saber fights require plunging while shooting and is fun that way. Some people make a plunger with a button on it for easy swaps. But you need the plunger.

Ahh, interesting idea with the plunger with a button. I will look into that. I plan on swapping the two games every few months so I dont want to hassle with removing/adding a plunger.

#7 8 years ago

Very cool... So that was a DIY project someone did, or you can buy plungers with buttons? thanks for the idea. I just tested the game via dropping the ball in, everything works great. I cant believe I forgot that SWE1 uses a plunger... lol

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Crashnburn:

As far as I know these are not made any more. Borygard did sell them at one time and they are on his web site. Maybe they will come back. I need one too.
http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm

Seems pretty easy to build. As well prob a lot cheaper than $99+shipping to make. However, I have the bad feeling the cabinet needs to be modified.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It may be ok to just add the plunger and leave it there. RFM doesnt need the launch button I don't think. You could probably get away with plunging manually.

In settings, cant you set it to plunge via both flippers? via RFM, I think you need it for the multi-balls.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I had a NIB conversion kit with the plunger. Not hard to change over. I found I put SWE1 in the game once, played it for a few weeks, swapped it back, and never put it back in. RFM is so much better.

Yeah RFM is better for sure. SWE1 the movie sucked but I dont mind the game. Granted I have only played it a few times on location.

#14 8 years ago

Ahh, another thing. I will have to remove the auto plunger that RFM has. Then install the auto plunge made for plungers like on Sterns... However that assembly is $140. Maybe it is better to just swap the button with a plunger when I swap the game.

detail_(1)_(resized).jpgdetail_(1)_(resized).jpg

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The plunger should be able to be installed along with the auto plunger. You don't need the button but the multiballs would still be able to auto plunge.

Wont the auto plunge assembly get in the way with the shooter rod? It needs to be the assembly I posted above where the solenoid is moved in front of the switch .

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Yes, the coil on RFM is mounted right up to the edge of the playfield. Either buy a manual plunger with the back mounting plate (should have 3 screwholes arranged in the shape of a triangle), or buy a combo plunger and install it. Really replacing the plunger only takes a few minutes. Its just a couple screws and the ground strap, which you just make sure is secured under the plate.

Yeah, I am just going to swap the plunger/button. However, $60 is not bad... I am now tempted to just buy that one and be done with it. I plan on swapping the game every few months so not really a big deal. I ordered a plunger, but in the meantime I am using a shorty pool stick. It is kinda fun and funny, especially with a skill shot. You just cant hit it too hard so you have enough time to put the stick down and get to the flippers.

stick_(resized).jpgstick_(resized).jpg

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

PLEASE take a video of that

lol here you go

#23 8 years ago

lol yeah it is kinda funny. But when I am not holding my phone to take the video it is easier and I can get to the flippers with no problem.
I went ahead and got the assembly. I hope I am able to plunge the ball via both flippers. I know this was an option for many williams/bally machines or at least I thought. If that is the case, I don't need to install/mod a button.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

You can also set RFM up so that the plunger fires after so many seconds. I forget what the minimum is, but it'd take care of business for you as well.

That works, but not when I am drinking a beer in-between balls lol. When I get my stuff I will dig into it more. Both flippers to plunge works for me, assuming that is added for pinball 2000 I shall find out.

#26 8 years ago

Shooter rod was too short, so I just put a plastic dowel inside the shooter tip rubber to make it a bit longer.

I have an idea for RFM. I can rig a leaf switch up to the shooter rod. When pulled and let go it will hit the switch. This way I dont need a button. Granted it will also hit the ball, which I assume will be quicker than the auto-plunger. However, I have a question... When the ball leaves the rollover switch "via plunger" wont that trigger a ball launch and the "launch ball button" should be cleared? So I may not even need the launch ball button at all. I wont be able to test this till I put RFM back in.

#28 8 years ago

Yep, that is my other option that I will do if all else fails. However, I think I can achieve the same thing with combining a switch to the plunger. This way I don't have to drill a larger hole into my cabinet. The 3rd option is I use a much smaller button typically from an an arcade. I forget what they are called, but they have their own low-profile switch built into the button so I wont need to drill a hole into the cabinet just the plunger plate.

#29 8 years ago

Well... Good news.. all done. I installed the auto-assembly A-21022 recommended by "Compy". Then installed and painted the shooter assembly. Then, rather than drilling a hole in the cabinet to fit a button in the plunger plate. I just put a button in the coin door.. Why not, since I have about a dozen extra bill slot plates. works great... I just need to update the button to say "Fire".

Thanks for the help everyone.

#30 8 years ago

My SWE1 PF did not come with a translite... So I just made one.

sw1_(resized).jpgsw1_(resized).jpg

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from Compy:

Wow! That translite looks great! Did you just inkjet print it? The colors are quite rich!
Also, nice job on the combo shooter! I'm glad the auto plunger/combo is working well for you

Thanks I have a 40" plotter. It has very good black definition. Here is a shot of a 24x36 poster I also printed. however for translites, they must be 2 layers. The back side is reverse printed on vinyl the modern way they once made back glasses in the early pre-80's.

20160115_233833_(resized).jpg20160115_233833_(resized).jpg

#33 8 years ago

I just noticed that photo above... on my pool table is... the #1.. aka Star Wars Episode 1. kinda cool? Was totally random

2 weeks later
#35 8 years ago

Thanks for providing a video. Was good to point out you need to trim part of the auto plunge. Forgot to mention that. However I did not remove that screw for the rail. Just cut a notch for it.

I clocked 4 mins to swap RFM to SWE1. Really easy. Now I wish pinball 2000 had a few dozen more pins before they went out of business.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
New Port Richey, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jean-Luc-Picard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-swe1-launch-other-solenoids-not-working?tu=Jean-Luc-Picard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.