New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 196328)

Nucore returns!

By Wizboy

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mazzaneo
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

NuCore Tiles (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I am wondering that nobody wrote that amazing news about nucores returning?

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/08/22/nucore-returns/

The update 2.25 is still available.

It would be nice to get a changelog or some informations about the "extra features".

I can't register myself in the nucore forum, do anybody have had success?

#2 3 years ago

Well that is good news.

Easy install is for current nucore
Otherwise if you start from scratch sounds like you'll have to build/compile the apps in.

Great resource and news for pin2k people!

#3 3 years ago

Bunch of questions being covered in main forum here:

http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1168

This is the change log for those that can't see the forum:

1) A new mode handling system. This will result in better stability and handle a rare bug.
2) There is a new switch in the Nucore config that disables all lamp errors. Great for using LEDs, no map file required.
3) Included in the distro is a bug-fixed SDL mixer library that fixes a SDL bug where the sound would become garbled after very a very long period of the machine being on.
4) A clock fix.
5) Misc. small fixes and performance optimizations.
6) Libraries that Nucore uses are now external which will aid in supporting newer versions of Linux and remove any doubt about copyright issues.

#4 3 years ago

A quote from the pinballnews article:

...but the metal case was difficult to manufacture and probably won’t be making a return. He said if there was any interest, he would be willing to share the design plans with anyone who wanted to make a case for themselves.

I would like to get the plans for the case. Are the guys are already online/active on pinside or how can I get it?

#6 3 years ago

Wait...what happened? There was a lawsuit, accusations were flying. All smooth now? What happened to PinBox or whatever it ended up being named?

To the people here that have suffered through this crapfest, does it look like reliable long-term solution is now in place? Or could this crop up again?

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Wizboy:

I am wondering that nobody wrote that amazing news about nucores returning?

Now that Pinbox is out in the world, I dont think anyone really cares much about the LONG DELAYED return of nucore.

Most are probably more interested in hearing what happened with them allegedly stealing open source code and using it for profit. Wasnt that the whole counter claim and why the person behind pinbox told them to pissoff and released it all for public use?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Now that Pinbox is out in the world, I dont think anyone really cares much about the LONG DELAYED return of nucore.
Most are probably more interested in hearing what happened with them allegedly stealing open source code and using it for profit. Wasnt that the whole counter claim and why the person behind pinbox told them to pissoff and released it all for public use?

Maybe they will tell about the sourcecode and further developments at the pinball expo?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My guess is that is being addressed by:

"6) Libraries that Nucore uses are now external which will aid in supporting newer versions of Linux and remove any doubt about copyright issues."

It was probably the driving factor in releasing this update. Fix in good faith and hope that is enough to prevent any future legal action. For the most part the open source community doesn't seek to punish license violators but simply get them to remove the violation or comply with the license agreement. Switching to rely on external open source packages would resolve this issue.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Most are probably more interested in hearing what happened with them allegedly stealing open source code and using it for profit.

I don't want to get into semantics, but it seemed like it was more of a misuse vs. outright stealing IIRC. "Stealing" would be something along the lines of claiming that it was a Pin2K emulator coded from the ground up w/o giving QEMU any credit.

It's great to see this released ... Pinbox was certainly "pirated". I hope the Nucore people can find a way to do something cool for the Pin2K platform leveraging the work they've already done. Based on work they've already done, I'd more than likely buy their product!

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Pinbox was certainly "pirated"

So was QEMU, except it was then sold for profit

#12 3 years ago

All I know is Nucore was not being produced and games were dead.

Pinbox was by far the best thing to ever happen to Pin2K games and I am VERY thankful for whomever was the person that put it out.
I had previously supported Nucore and when they disappeared I was more than happy to see the arrival of pinbox.

I know of at elast 4 games that were brought back to life with it.

#13 3 years ago

ok but hilton do you know what happened here? i saw your question about QEMU which was last where I left off. i mean, why does no one seem to care? I thought this was gonna be abig deal once it was resolved, why am I wrong? is it because of the third party solution?

just for reference I thought this was a big deal because there were going to be unplayable pin2ks because of this. i mean is that an exaggeration?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

ok but hilton do you know what happened here? i saw your question about QEMU which was last where I left off. i mean, why does no one seem to care? I thought this was gonna be abig deal once it was resolved, why am I wrong? is it because of the third party solution?
just for reference I thought this was a big deal because there were going to be unplayable pin2ks because of this. i mean is that an exaggeration?

I am not sure what all transpired, but I assume it all got resolved between nucore and pinbox. To me the entire thing from Nucore appeared to be more about the attempts at getting money for a product they were no longer producing. JMHO, but it was a BSD contest if you will. Guessing they wasted a bunch of money and time and Nucore coming back is part of the requirement of whatever agreement they came up with? Since it all went quite, all we can do is guess unless they want to come explain the situation. They obviously made some changes to the software since they "borrowed" (is that the right word for it) from the public domain previously.

I dont think it is a big deal that they have returned for 2 reasons.

First, Pinbox is out there in the public domain. It is relatively easy to do, costs a reasonable amount, and is futureproof.
Second, many people quickly realized that there are plenty of good techs capable of taking care of a dead Pin2K. Once Nucore evaporated people went to good techs or pinbox and all was good. Nucore returning is an after thought and too little too late.

If anyone ever has a dead pin2k, then send it off to Rob Anthiny at lockwhenlit. Rob seems to be able to fix almost anything.

2 months later
#15 2 years ago

Pinterest thought I might like this. Big Brother is watching!

NuCore Tiles (resized).jpg

#16 2 years ago

I have a fuzzy monitor. Would pinbox be a solution?

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

NuCore/Pinbox would allow you to replace the computer and monitor, so yes.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from insx:

NuCore/Pinbox would allow you to replace the computer and monitor, so yes.

Is there a place to buy?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Is there a place to buy?

I cant help you in sourcing 1 as im in Australia but the end product is really worth the pursuit if youve a good local tech he'd likely to be able to point you in the right direction

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

no, simpler to just fix or replace your monitor.

just buy the coverter and mounting kit and mount a new LED or LCD monitor. It looks much better and weighs much less
http://lockwhenlit.com/products.htm

If you want to replace your CPU then just research how to do pinbox. It is super easy and can be done for about 1/3 of the price.

#21 2 years ago

Did anyone made a new iso with the new updatefiles?

#22 2 years ago

I plan on working on it, I just didn't have time yet.

2 months later
#23 2 years ago

i made a lubuntu 17.10 which is booting on my RFM, but i have based my work on the pinbox iso, and i do not manage to update with the latest nucore files.
If i put the libs and the bin in place, i havea an error on nucore boot where pb2kslibs are missing..

3 weeks later
#24 2 years ago

For those of you (like me) looking for an amp to power the built in speakers, help me convince the fine folks at Big Guys Pinball (the creators of Nucore) to make their amp breakout board! The existing wiring harness plugs right into it. No cutting, just needs power from your PC.

http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1171

1 week later
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

For those of you (like me) looking for an amp to power the built in speakers, help me convince the fine folks at Big Guys Pinball (the creators of Nucore) to make their amp breakout board! The existing wiring harness plugs right into it. No cutting, just needs power from your PC.
http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1171

amazon.com link »

connections aren't the same, Just repin the existing connector and badabing. you can always get one with an enclosure as well. think I got the one without the bluetooth.

Quoted from BENETNATH:

i made a lubuntu 17.10 which is booting on my RFM, but i have based my work on the pinbox iso, and i do not manage to update with the latest nucore files.
If i put the libs and the bin in place, i havea an error on nucore boot where pb2kslibs are missing..

yup, same issue. guess it wasn't so easy to do the update.

5 months later
#26 2 years ago

There are two Nucore Debian packages for Lubuntu 18.04 available.

Downloads and installation instruction: http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1179

Installation:

Test game:

#27 2 years ago

Gret news !!

1 week later
#28 2 years ago

Does anyone know how to extract the roms out of the pinbox image/install? I was able to get pinbox installed, but I am linux-challenged. I would also prefer to start fresh with the "real" and up-to-date nucore, but the roms for SWE1 and RFM seem to be unobtanium. Or, are they the rom files that can be downloaded from the planetary pinball site? Any help from those smarter than me in this area is greatly appreciated!

5 months later
#29 1 year ago

Did you build the pc that runs the program, any tips as to hardware purchase?
I was looking at this motherboard with an Intel Pentium G4560 3.50GHz LGA1151 3MB Cache CPU, any thoughts?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-K/

Thanks

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from mazzaneo:

Did you build the pc that runs the program, any tips as to hardware purchase?
I was looking at this motherboard with an Intel Pentium G4560 3.50GHz LGA1151 3MB Cache CPU, any thoughts?
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H110M-K/
Thanks

You can run pinbox on the sort of Dell machines that companies get rid of 50 at a time and end up on ebay for $50..

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from insx:

You can run pinbox on the sort of Dell machines that companies get rid of 50 at a time and end up on ebay for $50..

Yeah, I had a Dell latitude which would have been perfect for this which I probably threw away! Anyway, ordered the parts for 160 euro on Amazon, it’s more than a used Dell granted but it will be a brand new build.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 63.50
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Harpers Ferry, WV
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bixby, OK
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PCB Emporium

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside