Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture_(resized).PNG
Nucore_is_Returning!_-_(resized).png
mal_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinchroma.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Wtf do you actually understand how things work or just make assumptions? Emulation is one of the most CPU intensive operations for any platform. The more diverse the two platforms, the more that has to be done via software. I don't see any rasp pi handling this.

Both kvm and qemu run on the pi3 however it will be slow as hell and there is absolutely no video acceleration so I don't suspect the video will be performant and the pi doesn't support paravirt so that's a non starter. All hypervisor based.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

enough it'd be entirely due to lacking featureset or poorly adapted code, not raw performance. The SoC in the Pi 3 probably has a quarter of a billion transistors, if not significantly more (dunno how big the gpu is). The Cyrix MediaGX has 2.4million (100x less) and runs at 120-160Mhz (dunno which SKU Pin2K used) as opposed to 1.2Ghz for the 2 A53 cores in the Pi3.
To give you an idea of how stupid your assertion is. In Dhrystone 2.1 the following score

Quoted from rubberducks:

Actually, I do. Whilst I'm no expert on software, I know plenty about hardware - enough to know you're speaking out of your behind. You're talking about emulating a system that was written over 15 years ago on absolutely not state of the art hardware for the time. If a Pi 3 couldn't run it in emulation fast enough it'd be entirely due to lacking featureset or poorly adapted code, not raw performance. The SoC in the Pi 3 probably has a quarter of a billion transistors, if not significantly more (dunno how big the gpu is). The Cyrix MediaGX has 2.4million (100x less) and runs at 120-160Mhz (dunno which SKU Pin2K used) as opposed to 1.2Ghz for the 2 A53 cores in the Pi3.
To give you an idea of how stupid your assertion is. In Dhrystone 2.1 the following scores can be expected:
Pentium 150Mhz (probably 20% faster than the Cyrix MediaGX) - 185-190MIPS
Raspberry Pi Model B+ - 840-850MIPS
Raspberry Pi Zero - 1230-1240MIPS
Raspberry Pi 2 - ~1650MIPS
Raspberry Pi 3 - 2458MIPS according to the first and only benchmarking test I've found - https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-3-specs-benchmarks/
The GPU is in addition to this and isn't comparable in any meaningful sense of the word. How much RAM does Pin2K have? 32MB? Maximum 64MB? Pi3 has 1GB.
You can easily run an N64 emulator on an ARM SoC with half the power of a Pi 3. According to various sources the N64 scores about 125MIPS in Dhrystone, though due to the custom graphics hardware was considerably more powerful than this would suggest (and therefore more taxing to emulate).

While hardware speed does play a small role in virtualization it actually has only a marginal amount to due with the overall speed of what you are emulating.

Ever play mame games? Or I should ask, ever TRY to play some mame games that have been poorly emulated? Doesn't matter what type of hardware you are running, they still run like shit.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinchroma.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-is-returning-2016?tu=Pinchroma and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.