Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture_(resized).PNG
Nucore_is_Returning!_-_(resized).png
mal_(resized).png
There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 7 years ago

When was a settlement with inbox covered? I missed that

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

When was a settlement with inbox covered? I missed that

was a few months back, we heard it was settled, but no details ever came out.

#153 7 years ago

See, here is a problem. Recently I bought a SWEP1 that the guy couldn't sell since the original computer was toast. I went to check this out at his house last spring. He calls me in July and asks if I still was interested. I wasn't for 2 reasons: 1) I HATE the theme, and 2) it wasn't working and I knew that since NuCore was in limbo, that this could be a pig in a poke. Anyway, he informs me that he had installed Pinbox in this and it now works great. Long story short, I bought it and Pinbox is actually a pretty stable solid system. It rivals NuCore, hell, it BEATS NuCore in terms of price, and it certainly surpasses the original operating system. Bottom line, legal or not, it is WHAT IS AVAILABLE NOW and until NuCore gets their ass in gear and starts selling again and settles this lawsuit, people will use this. They may or may not realize this, but for every day that goes by, they're losing more & more potential NuCore buyers to Pinbox. And those buyers may very well never come back to NuCore now that they have Pinbox. Oh-and I still hate SWEP1, theme-wise, at least!

#154 7 years ago

My original PC is still in good shape (knock on wood), but I would buy nucore if it offered some sort of improvement over original (graphics, performance, features, etc).

Pinbox does work good too, since there is no other alternative, I did build a pinbox pc which is now on standby if anything should happen to my original hardware.

6 months later
#155 7 years ago

6 months later, can I buy a Nucore?

#156 7 years ago

lololol... what do you think?
NuCore is dead... they just won't admit it.

#157 7 years ago

guys just go with pinbox
it aint gonna happen
i admire your patience and your willing to go the official way, but if you are in need just go pinbox
or be a owner of an expensive paperweight

#158 7 years ago

Yea, I've generally given up hope on the Nucore team sadly. An update from them would be nice, but I'm guessing their attorneys have them on communication lock down again.

#159 7 years ago

The sad irony is that they are incommunicado because of that damned lawsuit that they're mixed up in (at least that's the way I'm reading it.) However, their lack of communication is actually CAUSING more people to use Pinbox (the source and cause of said lawsuit) because, well, they seem to be not there for their supporters anymore. This is a classic 'Catch-22' and it's really sad. If I'm in error or if anyone has a different take, I'm all ears.....

#160 7 years ago

Chuck is not going to be making anymore Nucore. Use pinbox if you need to replace your computer.

#161 7 years ago

Between Nucore's return, Prince's fall tour and the presidential election, 2016 is shaping up to be an exciting year!

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

The sad irony is that they are incommunicado because of that damned lawsuit that they're mixed up in (at least that's the way I'm reading it.) However, their lack of communication is actually CAUSING more people to use Pinbox (the source and cause of said lawsuit) because, well, they seem to be not there for their supporters anymore. This is a classic 'Catch-22' and it's really sad. If I'm in error or if anyone has a different take, I'm all ears.....

the other legal issues is the code that nucore is based on and it's some thing that can be very bad for the courts. It's better to let pinbox be and not push the issue.
Way to many servers are running what nucore is based on and the last thing that they need is for copyright / trade mark trolls to try to gum the works up.

Now there is a small chance of something bad happening but the EFF will likely not take WMS side if they push to far over DMCA issues as then it can be very bad for the base software that nucore is based on.

#163 7 years ago

It's my understanding that the Nucore guys used open source software in violation of its license because they did not release they derivative work's code.

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from CubeSnake:

The sad irony is that they are incommunicado because of that damned lawsuit that they're mixed up in

I'm 98% certain the "lawsuit" they brought against the Pinbox team is "done" and settled out of court.

However, what came up in that lawsuit ... I think it's earlier in this thread... is that NuCore violated terms of GPL claiming they could compile in source code from GPLed code into their closed source binaries. That isn't the case. Perhaps the Free Software Foundation actually has them in court for this violation.

I'm not sure... and really; I'm only spreading conjecture. The facts are that NuCore has been MIA since they filed suit against the Pinbox team... and that is a pretty clear motivation if you ask me.

All of that sad; I *hope* I'm wrong as I have a working RFM Pinball which needs a tube swap. One day; sadly, I may need to keep my system running and I'd rather support a GPL-compliant implementation of NuCore.

7 months later
#165 6 years ago

This finally happened:
https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/08/22/nucore-returns/
and in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-returns#post-4038324

But sadily; they are still not offering the source code under GPL agreements.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

This finally happened:
https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/08/22/nucore-returns/
and in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-returns#post-4038324
But sadily; they are still not offering the source code under GPL agreements.

There "35USD" handling fee for the source code seemed like a we really don't want to give it out.

For them to try to sell it again may just need to be selling the support only part like other GPL based software. GPL-compliant is only part of it it's also the right to repair with needing to rebuy the roms / IP rights that you own to fix your own device part.

Now maybe a re coded pinball 2k os that can just install to an HDD on any pc can be sold that just plays sound files on any pc sound chip.

#167 6 years ago

So... is this a better solution than Pinbox yet?

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

There "35USD" handling fee for the source code seemed like a we really don't want to give it out.
For them to try to sell it again may just need to be selling the support only part like other GPL based software. GPL-compliant is only part of it it's also the right to repair with needing to rebuy the roms / IP rights that you own to fix your own device part.
Now maybe a re coded pinball 2k os that can just install to an HDD on any pc can be sold that just plays sound files on any pc sound chip.

Chuck uploaded the Nucore ISO

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3s5j7iul7juju2/nucore_install.7z?dl=0

The new patch is probably applicable to Pinbox too which helps with new versions of Linux which support newer hardware

http://www.bigguyspinball.com/nucoresupport.shtml

#169 6 years ago

Has anyone actually gotten the source code?
If they never fill any orders for the source code; then they aren't in compliance.
My gut tells me that they have no intention of shipping any orders for that source code.

#170 6 years ago

They didn't react on requests/order so they will never give out the sourcode...

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Has anyone actually gotten the source code?
If they never fill any orders for the source code; then they aren't in compliance.
My gut tells me that they have no intention of shipping any orders for that source code.

Quoted from Wizboy:

They didn't react on requests/order so they will never give out the sourcode...

That's pretty disappointing.

There are 171 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-is-returning-2016/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.