7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by sparkup
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Thanks for the time of doing this in the first place. I read an article in Gameroom Magazine about the time and effort in doing this, and I was amazed at how dedicated Chuck and Dan were at making this happen in the first place.
    I don't know what happened, and I truly hope that this is just a suspension and does not become the end.
    Again, even though I do not own a pin2000, thanks for stepping up.

Plus one.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from jimjim66:

Thanks for the time of doing this in the first place. I read an article in Gameroom Magazine about the time and effort in doing this, and I was amazed at how dedicated Chuck and Dan were at making this happen in the first place.
    I don't know what happened, and I truly hope that this is just a suspension and does not become the end.
    Again, even though I do not own a pin2000, thanks for stepping up.

And don't forget Steve Ellenoff's part as well. Steve was key in getting the emulation working.

#53 7 years ago

yes a lot of great re-engineering....

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bischt:

Well crap. Recently got a RFM and Nucore was going to be my safety net when the computer dies. What to do now...

Dump it while you can! I have seen multiple P2K's shit the bed without warning.

#55 7 years ago

I played a RFM at dave and busters years ago that failed in the middle of my game. I thought I hit a secret midnight madness.

#56 7 years ago

Wish I seen this thread yesterday because now all the Nucores are gone. I would have bought one to have a back up for my RFM. Its a game that I am keeping for a long time.

#57 7 years ago

I find this to be a very disturbing event and also a crappy way to run a business. I bought a RFM and am doing a complete restoration. My intent was to install a new monitor and NuCore after the full PF and Cab restoration this fall and was mostly waiting to hopefully see a RFM or SWE1 with nucore in action at Expo.

Why not do a final run of Nucore systems before suspending production!!???!!!??? Why not notify people in advance of this news and provide an opportunity to buy in before games we have poured so much time into now become potentially the heaviest pinball paperweight ever made!!!??? SERIOUSLY, WTF?

VERY frustrated with this news and the way this was dealt to the community of P2K owners.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I find this to be a very disturbing event and also a crappy way to run a business.

Nucore doesn't own the licence and there could be events beyond their control. The original message was a bit cryptic and perhaps that's for legal reasons. I understand your frustration but given Nucore's track record I wouldn't be so quick to condemn until further information is known.

Kim

#59 7 years ago

Also, these CAN be fixed without upgrading to NuCore. Not the ideal scenario, but it beats letting the game sit. It was a miracle all the stars aligned for NuCore to even exist, so it isn't too much of a leap to presume that the rights/intellectual properties and the people involved/claiming ownership, could have played a role in this....

#60 7 years ago

I'm not sure why the nucore is even needed. Whatever it's doing I should think could all be done via software. Emulators are not illegal. I wonder if someone will take on this task at some point. Of course since I don't know what the USB dongle does, I can say for certain...

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I find this to be a very disturbing event and also a crappy way to run a business. I bought a RFM and am doing a complete restoration. My intent was to install a new monitor and NuCore after the full PF and Cab restoration this fall and was mostly waiting to hopefully see a RFM or SWE1 with nucore in action at Expo.
    Why not do a final run of Nucore systems before suspending production!!???!!!??? Why not notify people in advance of this news and provide an opportunity to buy in before games we have poured so much time into now become potentially the heaviest pinball paperweight ever made!!!??? SERIOUSLY, WTF?
    VERY frustrated with this news and the way this was dealt to the community of P2K owners.

Totally agree, I'm in exactly the same boat with a full restro and have been busy buying parts if I had of known about Nucore being suddenly pulled I would of bought that first.

#62 7 years ago

Nucore took the option to cancel the original agreement with all the parties, I am sure if they wanted to continue and pay the license fee per unit, the rights owners would be more than happy to continue.

They gave 30 days notice which they could have given the public.

The 3 originals developers no longer work together and with 5 or more seperate people putting their hands in the cookie Jar, I doubt it was done for a profit.

Ha but what do i know. I am sure they could have increased the price if they were not making money.

I am sure a replacement will be found, as the source code is available it can be run on a standard pc with some programming changes.

#63 7 years ago

Well if anyone has an extra nucore or a source on where to find one (at cost please or close to it) please PM me. If I had any idea this was going to magically disappear in 1 days time I would have purchased this first in the restoration process.

thanks in advance

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

now become potentially the heaviest pinball paperweight ever made

Maybe you should thank them that possibly hundreds of these games were saved through their efforts alone instead of your current attitude...

Had this long soapbox post ready to go for you, but if that's your position I'm not sure I have much chance of changing your mind, so I'll simply agree that the situation all around does suck, both for guys like you, and guys like me that had hoped to get a P2K game in the future.

#65 7 years ago

Most Folks here dont know about the long drawn out battle between two fat head licence holders.
    You have to look at it like this. Nobody knows for sure but likely a Rights issue has come up again. Most Nucores sales where done in the first 60-90 days i am sure. So i am guessing just guessing that there comes a time when one needs to think renew rights to sell or just let it go because of low sales?

This was never a business. NEVER! it was a fan service mostly. Chuck and Don slaved over this thing for years. Miracle it ever came to light as it was the dark period with douche bag way-no sending c@d letters to everyone waving his e-penis all over. Gene was ballz deep in BBB. Something will come to light out of this. Lots of ins and outs man. Nucore really tied the room together i doubt its gone.

#66 7 years ago

Don't forget too, while the situation is less than ideal, people like Rob Anthony have PB2K parts to keep games running for a long time. Options still exist but appreciate disappointment.

#67 7 years ago

If we shared the complete story of why Nucore isn't available now it would just create more drama. The last thing anyone needs is more drama. I will say it was not our intention to stop selling Nucore but given the current circumstances it was the only wise thing to do. We also knew the second we announced that there would be a run on Pinball Life's inventory. We never kept that much inventory anyway so 30 days would have resulted in the same issue.

Thanks for the kind words and like I said before, we're not gone. Don and I really want to see Nucore continue. It wasn't originally created for profit but a desire to keep pinball 2000 alive. In this respect it will come back, probably not soon but not gone forever.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Why not notify people in advance of this news and provide an opportunity to buy in before games we have poured so much time into now become potentially the heaviest pinball paperweight ever made!!!???

Even if they would have given you 30 days notice, it just would mean that the same sellout would have happened 30 days ago.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

If we shared the complete story of why Nucore isn't available now it would just create more drama. The last thing anyone needs is more drama. I will say it was not our intention to stop selling Nucore but given the current circumstances it was the only wise thing to do. We also knew the second we announced that there would be a run on Pinball Life's inventory. We never kept that much inventory anyway so 30 days would have resulted in the same issue.
    Thanks for the kind words and like I said before, we're not gone. Don and I really want to see Nucore continue. It wasn't originally created for profit but a desire to keep pinball 2000 alive. In this respect it will come back, probably not soon but not gone forever.

Please bring it back at some point, you can see that there is allot of interest, support and appreciation for what you do. Me and my RFM will be anxiously awaiting what you have for us in the future.
    Thanks
    QSS

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from chessiv:

Thank you for all of your hard work on Nucore. I hope that you are able to bring it back soon.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Please bring it back at some point, you can see that there is allot of interest, support and appreciation for what you do. Me and my RFM will be anxiously awaiting what you have for us in the future.ThanksQSS

+1

The only reason I was waiting is I needed to score an Episode 1 kit to help justify the purchase.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

The only reason I was waiting is I needed to score an Episode 1 kit to help justify the purchase.

Same boat here. Hope this gets sorted out. We need more Chuck and Dons in this hobby.

#73 7 years ago

Is this a situation that could be helped through a kick starter campaign like the pinball arcade used to fund twilight zone? There seems to be interest in them continuing and a kick starter campaign could be used as a presale to guarantee the license payment if that is the issue. Probably more complicated than that, but just a thought. I had been planning on getting one, but was waiting to get rfm first.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Nucore doesn't own the licence and there could be events beyond their control. The original message was a bit cryptic and perhaps that's for legal reasons. I understand your frustration but given Nucore's track record I wouldn't be so quick to condemn until further information is known.
    Kim

This post should be read again by people...solid point.

#75 7 years ago

or....just or...maybe the rights holders could lessen the rights price on something like this, just to keep it available to their fans...who buy their parts to keep their games running. Technically it's not even a B/W part in the first place. Only thing in it, that is B/W was the ROMS. Maybe they should just make and sell the version without any roms in it, and make it so we can just jump drive the shit in ourselves. Then the rights holders can't really say anything anymore than someone selling blue lockdown bars. Pimp your ride however you like. Hopefully greed, will not kill another great product. We saw enough of that 4 years ago.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

or....just or...maybe the rights holders could lessen the rights price on something like this, just to keep it available to their fans...who buy their parts to keep their games running. Technically it's not even a B/W part in the first place. Only thing in it, that is B/W was the ROMS. Maybe they should just make and sell the version without any roms in it, and make it so we can just jump drive the shit in ourselves. Then the rights holders can't really say anything anymore than someone selling blue lockdown bars. Pimp your ride however you like. Hopefully greed, will not kill another great product. We saw enough of that 4 years ago.

Great Point Neo!!! I will chip in for a kickstarter on that project!

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypinball:

Nucore took the option to cancel the original agreement with all the parties, I am sure if they wanted to continue and pay the license fee per unit, the rights owners would be more than happy to continue.
    They gave 30 days notice which they could have given the public.
    The 3 originals developers no longer work together and with 5 or more seperate people putting their hands in the cookie Jar, I doubt it was done for a profit.
    Ha but what do i know. I am sure they could have increased the price if they were not making money.
    I am sure a replacement will be found, as the source code is available it can be run on a standard pc with some programming changes.

I'm sure Chuck and the gang appreciate you leaking all this info, Wayne.. it really helps their situation.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

I'm sure Chuck and the gang appreciate you leaking all this info, Wayne.. it really helps their situation.

Wayne didn't leak anything as he really doesn't know what happened.

#79 7 years ago

If only the code was made open source... Throw it up on GitHub so we can build our own emulation systems with off the shelf hardware. It would make it so much easier than starting from scratch.

#80 7 years ago

So here is a stupid question. What if anything do you need from Nucore to build a replacement PC for Pin2K? Going through the docs it appears as though the only oddity here is this USB Interface Board thingy. Is this the case or am I totally misunderstanding what is involved in setup and configuration.

The setup is kinda crappy... installing an old version of desktop Linux, running everything as the root user (which you should never need to do), and then installing Nucore software and roms which is still downloadable from their site.

It seems as though I can just package Nucore as a LiveCD/USB stick and make everyone's lives easier. Setting up Nucore should be nothing more complex then plugging a USB stick into PC you intend to install into your cabinet and booting. You don't even need a hard disk. If you do, just install the LiveCD locally and you are good to go. The only down site seems to be that without the original code, Nucore is frozen in time. I can dump hours into reverse engineering the binaries but to be honest I find that kind of work very boring and tedious and would rather do anything but that.

Just thinking out loud, but it seems as though we can get a community around this and make it better than it ever was. Well, I'm stuck waiting for a replacement ramp for my Whirlwind anyways, might as well dive into my RFM and start tackling this problem.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bischt:

So here is a stupid question. What if anything do you need from Nucore to build a replacement PC for Pin2K? Going through the docs it appears as though the only oddity here is this USB Interface Board thingy. Is this the case or am I totally misunderstanding what is involved in setup and configuration.
    The setup is kinda crappy... installing an old version of desktop Linux, running everything as the root user (which you should never need to do), and then installing Nucore software and roms which is still downloadable from their site.
    It seems as though I can just package Nucore as a LiveCD/USB stick and make everyone's lives easier. Setting up Nucore should be nothing more complex then plugging a USB stick into PC you intend to install into your cabinet and booting. You don't even need a hard disk. If you do, just install the LiveCD locally and you are good to go. The only down site seems to be that without the original code, Nucore is frozen in time. I can dump hours into reverse engineering the binaries but to be honest I find that kind of work very boring and tedious and would rather do anything but that.
    Just thinking out loud, but it seems as though we can get a community around this and make it better than it ever was. Well, I'm stuck waiting for a replacement ramp for my Whirlwind anyways, might as well dive into my RFM and start tackling this problem.

I would love for anyone to come up with a permanent solution to keeping these games alive.

#82 7 years ago

"I would love for anyone to come up with a permanent solution to keeping these games alive."

There appears to be no reason why these machines won't last forever. It appears as though the legendary fellas at Nucore did all the heavy lifting by writing the emulator. The packaging is much to be desired but that can be cleaned up pretty easily. I'll be looking for a swe1 someone wants to offload for cheap though!

#83 7 years ago

Wow that sucks for those of us that just bought a RFM or SWE1.

#84 7 years ago

i find this funny...ive been getting complete replacement nos parts on a dozen or more swe1 and rfm for the past three years. im not the only person who knows where to look. nucore is cool but i have never paid more then 600 to fix any problem in the cpu box in any rfm swe1 i got....good luck to all

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

i find this funny...ive been getting complete replacement nos parts on a dozen or more swe1 and rfm for the past three years. im not the only person who knows where to look. nucore is cool but i have never paid more then 600 to fix any problem in the cpu box in any rfm swe1 i got....good luck to all

but how many times have you had to fix them or wait for someone else to come up with some part? i will agree that the parts are out there, but i like knowing that i can go to a computer store and get the main parts that i need to make it work again. now, if the nucore usb board goes out then i am just as screwed as if my prism card went out.

i would love to see a different solution to this problem, but i just don't know that there is enough of a demand. there may have been a lot of these units (rfm and swe1) produced, but no where near the numbers of other pins that use the same common parts. how many machines does a dmd fit into, how many machines does a replacement power supply or power driver board fit? a lot more than the replacements for the computers in rfm and swe1.

and even if someone comes up with another solution, we will probably be at their mercy if something doesn't work properly.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

This is true and was a great side effect of Nucore launching. Prism boards were 1200 bucks. Complete computers were in the low 2k's before we launched. After prisms could be had for 200 bucks. Complete computers sold for less than 600 bucks.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

now, if the nucore usb board goes out then i am just as screwed as if my prism card went out.

We'll fix any problem with that board for 35 bucks. Don is still servicing the hardware.

#88 7 years ago

I was able to collect a few good extra (original) PC boards over the years...

If you own a pin2k, check your PC power supply! My RFM was working fine when I bought it, BUT the power supply fan was seized (for how long who knows). When I went to replace the fan, all of the caps were bad as well! Make sure your power supply is in good shape, or your PC board may suffer.

One of the spare boards I bought was an untested one from ebay... had bad caps, and was able to bring it back from the dead by just replacing the caps...

P2K ATX PS how to: http://antelopearcade.com/forum/yaf_postst4_Pinball-2000-AT-to-ATX-Power-Supply-Replacement.aspx

-Mike

Post edited by mikebetz42 : Added ATX PS replacement...

#89 7 years ago

I just got an RFM and the power supply was groaning pretty badly. I found an AT power supply at Microcenter for $22.00 based on the recommendation of a Pinside user. I replaced it in about 15 minutes. I should state that I have never seen the inside of a computer prior to this.

I do have a quick question. If the boards look like new and the cpu fan is running great and I installed a new power supply, do these still die on a pretty random basis or can I expect a pretty long life going forward?

Thanks.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

do these still die on a pretty random basis or can I expect a pretty long life going forward?

In my experience, it is really a crapshoot with PC power supplies. I've had cheap ones go out in months, sworn off them and bought expensive ones, only to have them go out in months. So now I just buy a middle of the road one that fits the bill and cross my fingers.

That being said, the one from Microcenter is kind of on the cheapo side, which means it will probably run forever.

#91 7 years ago

Thanks Guys for you hard work and effort to make this an even better hobby.

Scott Stumpf

Quoted from chessiv:

Nucore users,
    Don and I would like to start off by thanking you for your support of the Nucore project for the last 6 years. When Don and I first talked about creating a replacement for the original pinball 2000 computer we never thought we would end up where we are. Recently, a few variables changed in the Nucore equation. Due to these changes Don and I decided to suspend sales of Nucore. We’re calling this a suspension because we plan on continuing Nucore in the future. How far into the future is unknown but we will certainly let you know when it’s back. We will still provide service to existing Nucore users including hardware repair for the USB board and audio amp. Pinball Life has limited availability of base units, audio amps, and cases.
    Nucore was a lot of work and Don and I often wondered if it would be worth all of the pain. It certainly was and again we would like to thank our customers for making it all possible.
    Chuck HessDon WeingardenBig Guys Pinball

7 months later
    #92 6 years ago

Anyone know what the U6 IC is on the nucore interface board?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 299.00
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 17.00
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 100.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 50.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 209.00
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside