• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by badbilly27
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi,

So I saw an RFM for sale and had heard about the NuCore solution. I just did some digging and apparently sales of the product have been halted. I have a strong preference for swapping out the proprietary hardware. I'm wondering if nucore units are still being sold in the aftermarket and if not, do they have any plans to sell the nucore software itself? The website is sparse on the details, but if I could buy a license for the software and do my own hardware integration, that would be fine too. Has anyone reached out to the NuCore guys and discussed what the options are (if any)?

Cheers,
s

#3 10 years ago

Story of my life, man. Thanks.

#4 10 years ago

Good info here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore ...but, creators have gone silent for the past few months. Hopefully something soon.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Good info here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore ...but, creators have gone silent for the past few months. Hopefully something soon.

Yea, I sure hope they bring Nucore back. They said that was going to happen then they said they needed to focus on their litigation...I have an RFM and no problems right now at all but if ever some come up having Nucore available sure would be nice...I knew I should have bought one the day they announced they were discontinuing the product...there were five available and then they were gone in three hours.

#6 10 years ago

I'd love to buy an RFM but I'm concerned about the proprietary hardware. What I don't understand is the people that want to use NuCore are licensees of the Bally/Williams software. I'm fine paying to compensate Chessiv et al for their work, but I don't understand why they're being hassled for servicing the existing pin2k customer base. In a sense, they're providing a future for the platform.

Put me on the list of people who hope it gets resolved soon and thanks to the dev team who put it together. Impressive piece of work from everything I've seen.

Cheers,

#7 10 years ago

Just be aware that you're swapping one proprietary system for another. Sure, the new proprietary system is basically a USB board for software copy protection, but it's still proprietary. Plus, as computers evolve and so does the Linux platform, it will likely get to a point where the Nucore software will need to be maintained to keep running on the latest hardware/Linux version.

So, Nucore is not a perfect solution (especially when you can't buy it). But it is a more current solution.

Jaz

#8 10 years ago

there is also the bootlegged pinbox (I think that is what they called it) solution...

Basically a bootlegged version of Nucore that supposedly works fine for a few people that have used it.

#9 10 years ago

Honestly, I'd love to simply buy the software from the nucore guys. If that came with a license to the source code so I could maintain it myself going forward, that'd be even better. I wish I could just download a copy of pinbox and send the original authors a check.

#10 10 years ago

Nucore is great! really hoping this gets going again. truly makes the pin2K games into a great addition to any collection

#11 10 years ago

its not the software that you need. its the hardware (the interface board, dongle, whatever) that you need.

the bootleg software proved that you did not even need that, but since it is not longer available (through reliable sources) the Pin2K world will have to wait and see what the Nucore guys are going to do.

#12 10 years ago

I would like to see something...

#13 10 years ago

My guess, which is well worth what most opinions cost, is that the game ROMs for both RFM and SWEP are contained within the custom Nucore software operating on the freely available Ubuntu linux operating system.

The use the game ROMs likely requires a license from the current owners of this IP. The original system uses
a "Prism" card with a daughter board of the game ROMs. The Prism card is the weakest link in the P2K system. It's a custom design that fits in a PC expansion slot. When it fails there are few who can make an economical repair. The key word in the last sentence is "economical." A NOS Prism card is in the $700 range, where the Nucore system was in the $1,000 range. Plus Nucore had added features and improved play performance.

The folks associated with Nucore are silent on what they need to do to get back into production. Last stating they needed to legally take care of the pirated version Pinbox which is no longer officially available, before they would move forward with anything more to sell.

What if the new system had owners of either the RFM or SWEP ROM boards were presented with an option to where they can off load the their game ROMs into the new operating system using a USB adapter.

There's probably more to the licensing than the game ROMs, but who knows. Why is this such an apparent secret?

1 month later
#14 10 years ago

Any new updates on Nucore, my RFM is running original system seems ok for now, the more research i do i see a heap of failures with the old systems,

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

the more research i do i see a heap of failures with the old systems,

really? I do not know of a single failure in the past 2 years that I have been paying attention. Of the few issues I have heard of, most seem to have gotten things sorted out with Rob Anthony who is pretty much the pin2k dude.

#16 10 years ago

not hard evidence, just forum search on the issue, All good then thanks for the info

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I knew I should have bought one the day they announced they were discontinuing the product...there were five available and then they were gone in three hours.

I bought one of those immediately on announcement. Still in box. I don't feel pressed to install it until my RFM craps out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.