New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 50846)

Nucore

By STEELE

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 778 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Joe_Blasi
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images.jpg
11660886813_344f3a7bd4_o.png
giphy.gif
peltiericetest3.jpg
giphy.gif
c0de37db2473e77c7d66f583cbf6384651fbbac94fa67d6b7a9fda6a4f4ca38b.jpg
Point_over_your_head.jpeg
make-it-so-captain.jpg
NuCore GREP.png
QEMU GREP.png
motion to dismiss.png
vw-oh-snap-o.gif
kate.jpg
28615_giveItAway_gnd1.jpg
rocket.jpg
DSC01451.JPG

There are 778 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 16.
#1 7 years ago

My Star Wars pinball 2000 went dead. I think it is the mother board. Any suggestions? Do I need a Nucore system. Does anyone know where I could find one or a mother board?

Thanks,
Steele

#2 7 years ago

Nucore is no more. I believe they didn't want to pay to renew the license. You can try ebay to see if you can find a motherboard?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I believe they didn't want to pay to renew the license.

Not true at all.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nucore is no more.

Also incorrect.

#4 7 years ago

Then what IS the true story? Details please.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Not true at all.

Also incorrect.

Well then correct me Chuck. He was asking for answers? There was a thread not too long ago stating no more Nucore's would be made and that there were a few left and they sold out in like 5 mins. Not sure if it was a vendor or not but no one has them and the reason in that thread was not wanting to renew the license so if thats incorrect as you state I apologize but like anything else around here it's all about what you read.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Also incorrect.

How is this incorrect? What was once available is no longer unless you plan on making more again.

#7 7 years ago

Here was the thread you started Chuck.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nucore-announcement#post-382963

Stating it was no longer available? So if that's not the case anymore please re-update us, as there seem to still be a want for it.

#8 7 years ago

Nucore is an incredible update for pin2K very happy that I did this before it was so hard to get.

#9 7 years ago

Yeah nucore is amazing. I hope they bring it back. Would save a lot of games.

#10 7 years ago

Saw one for the first time the other day (nucore RFM) WOW what a difference!

#11 7 years ago

Yeah I would love to see nucore come back...

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Also incorrect.

Let's get this party started! Lots of new RFM owners in the mix who want this, myself included.

#13 7 years ago

+1 for potential customer.

#14 7 years ago

First off, this is your guy to repair Pin2k games.
http://lockwhenlit.com/
Secondly, QUIT TEASING US CHUCK!!!

#15 7 years ago

Steele, Are you getting any response from the power supply in the computer? It's a standard PSU and you can replace it easily with either an ATX or AT style power supply as I recall when I replaced mine. If you aren't getting any response from the computer trying to turn on, pull the power supply and test it while disconnected from the board, drive, and other connections. Or test the power supply removed from the computer in other words.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Not true at all.

Also incorrect.

What is true and correct, then?

#17 7 years ago

If anyone knows where to get one or a used Star Wars with working computer (cheap), please let me know and THANKS so much for informing me on this.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Steele, Are you getting any response from the power supply in the computer? It's a standard PSU and you can replace it easily with either an ATX or AT style power supply as I recall when I replaced mine. If you aren't getting any response from the computer trying to turn on, pull the power supply and test it while disconnected from the board, drive, and other connections. Or test the power supply removed from the computer in other words.

#19 7 years ago

I did buy a power source from Bet Buy and replace it. I had to jump the Green and Black wire in the 20 pin connector to make it come on, but still nothing. I plugged both the original and new power source directly into the wall outlet and the fan and lights both came on, so I am thinking that it isn't the power source. I am going to see if I can find someone to replace all the capacitors???

#20 7 years ago

Here is the wiki that I referred to when replacing my CRT with an LCD, I'll link to their part on troubleshooting power.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pinball_2000_Repair#Power_Problems

OT, if you are interested in replacing your CRT I can show you how I did it for under 50 dollars (I already had a spare 19" LCD).

#21 7 years ago

Replacing caps is not dificult but I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you're comfortable desoldering, I replaced the caps on my CRT to try to fix an issue before I just went with the LCD.

I never researched a motherboard swap, but I know it's a cyrix 233mhz cpu but can't remember if it's a simple thing to swap out if you can find a compatible board for the cpu or if it needs to match the original board exactly.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Well then correct me Chuck. He was asking for answers? There was a thread not too long ago stating no more Nucore's would be made and that there were a few left and they sold out in like 5 mins. Not sure if it was a vendor or not but no one has them and the reason in that thread was not wanting to renew the license so if thats incorrect as you state I apologize but like anything else around here it's all about what you read.

"Due to these changes Don and I decided to suspend sales of Nucore. We’re calling this a suspension because we plan on continuing Nucore in the future. How far into the future is unknown but we will certainly let you know when it’s back."

The important word being suspend. There may be news in the near future with an update.

As for the reason, I never specified because it would have just created drama which no one needs.

Chuck

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Replacing caps is not dificult but I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you're comfortable desoldering, I replaced the caps on my CRT to try to fix an issue before I just went with the LCD.
I never researched a motherboard swap, but I know it's a cyrix 233mhz cpu but can't remember if it's a simple thing to swap out if you can find a compatible board for the cpu or if it needs to match the original board exactly.

Usually quite a bit of difference as far as replacing caps on the Chassis (crt) board and a Computer mother board.. Mother boards are multi layers so it takes quite a bit more skill to do on these.

Are the caps bubbled up on top?

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

As for the reason, I never specified because it would have just created drama which no one needs.

With respect, Chuck, there's a pretty clear indication in this thead and others that there is a need. Not a need for drama, perhaps, but a need for information.

#25 7 years ago

I got rid of my Pin2k literally because of this issue. Nucore being unavailable.

#26 7 years ago

I have a nucore I would sell and it comes with an.RFM !

#27 7 years ago

I'm in for a nucore - if they are considering making it again in the future I want to be on the list.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I'm in for a nucore - if they are considering making it again in the future I want to be on the list.

Quoted from boo32:

Count me in!

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Usually quite a bit of difference as far as replacing caps on the Chassis (crt) board and a Computer mother board.. Mother boards are multi layers so it takes quite a bit more skill to do on these.
Are the caps bubbled up on top?

That's good to know, thanks for correcting me!

#30 7 years ago

Why would you sell p2k because nucore is unavailable? Seems petty.

If your game just went dead. I don't think it's the motherboard. Most likely it's the Power supply. When you could buy AT power supplies. I bought 2 of them as backups, because this is most commonly the thing to go out. Test the molex outputs and see if your getting your 5 and 12 volts out of the plugs. Black to yellow is 12, red to black is 5. Most likely this is your issue.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

"Due to these changes Don and I decided to suspend sales of Nucore. We’re calling this a suspension because we plan on continuing Nucore in the future. How far into the future is unknown but we will certainly let you know when it’s back."
The important word being suspend. There may be news in the near future with an update.
Chuck

Fingers Crossed....I'm in for 2 as I have both Pin2k's lol.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

If your game just went dead. I don't think it's the motherboard. Most likely it's the Power supply. When you could buy AT power supplies. I bought 2 of them as backups, because this is most commonly the thing to go out. Test the molex outputs and see if your getting your 5 and 12 volts out of the plugs. Black to yellow is 12, red to black is 5. Most likely this is your issue.

Depends what he means by dead. The monitor and fluorescent light still come on when the ATX is dead.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Do you make it a habit of buying games with a fairly sizable failure rate of which there are no viable replacement parts? To me it made sense.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Any timeline for hearing news. Would be nice to not sell my RFM...

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Bischt:

Any timeline for hearing news. Would be nice to not sell my RFM...

Soon.

#36 7 years ago

Very mysterious. Obviously you're working on a new revision and u won't hurt existing sales since they don't exist (as far as I know) so I don't get why ya can't just say that?

Congrats though, looks like its a much needed product

#38 7 years ago

Would be nice if it was recreated up to the standard of what they wanted the final game to be. I would love to own a Pin2k some day and just have the kit for the other game.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Do you make it a habit of buying games with a fairly sizable failure rate of which there are no viable replacement parts? To me it made sense.

Totally agree with this. Get out while the gettin is good. Once the game is dead its nearly worthless, hard to sell, can't be fixed (depends), and in your way.

Quoted from chessiv:

Chuck

Sorry but to me this translates to "Nucore is no longer" just like pinchroma said. This is a thread where a guy needs to fix his game and is asking for a nucore. Can he buy one now? No. Is there an eta when he can? No. Nucore is gone. When/if you change that then this will change. No disrespect intended here. Your product was quite awesome and frankly the only way I'd own and run a pin2k. The video enhancement was worth it alone. But a guy that just brought home a dead pin2k doesn't want to wait an undisclosed amount if time to see "if" he can fix his game.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Totally agree with this. Get out while the gettin is good. Once the game is dead its nearly worthless, hard to sell, can't be fixed (depends), and in your way.

It does not seem that they really die all that often...

I am sure it happens, but sounds like plenty of pros that can work on them if they do...

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

First off, this is your guy to repair Pin2k games.
http://lockwhenlit.com/

Yeah - Rob is your man! Write him a note and send in your box! If anyone can fix it, he can.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It does not seem that they really die all that often...
I am sure it happens, but sounds like plenty of pros that can work on them if they do...

I have gone through 8 pinball 2000's and of those 3 had dead PC boards. They die often.

Pros can fix it? Most pros are backed up 3 months. Plus its not always the caps. This is a full PC multilayer mother board. Way more complex than anything in pinballs. It's nothing like repairing a pinball board. You don't even get schematics. Find PC repair shops. How many if them will repair boards? None. They all just sell you a new one.

#43 7 years ago

I hope fattrain is right - news soon sounds like good news - just depends on how long is soon.

#45 7 years ago

well I'd buy 2x nucores and I know an operator who would buy 5 in a heart beat.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Doesn't bother me. I have games that are super rare and very hard to find replacement parts for. I love zaccaria, try finding game specific parts for those sometimes. Miss World is 1 of 4. if something breaks there, i'm screwed 6 ways from sunday. Everything is fixable in someway or another. Sometimes you have to be creative. I would never sacrifice a great game just because it might be hard to fix it down the road.

#47 7 years ago

I would be up for the nucore unit. I just got a real nice RFM and cringe everytime I turn it
on, actually don't play it as much as I would like just in the fear of blowing out the prism
board
Its a great game I would like to keep in my lineup,
Looking forward to these coming back on the market

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Doesn't bother me. I have games that are super rare and very hard to find replacement parts for. I love zaccaria, try finding game specific parts for those sometimes. Miss World is 1 of 4. if something breaks there, i'm screwed 6 ways from sunday. Everything is fixable in someway or another. Sometimes you have to be creative. I would never sacrifice a great game just because it might be hard to fix it down the road.

I'm not talking playfield parts and brackets. Those can be made or modified. The prism card for example isn't something that was used across multiple titles (except swep1) or is a piece of metal a shop can make for you. It's a bit different. If it wasn't running a proprietary card I would have no problem replacing it with modern components should there be an issue. That's what chuck did with an emulator and did extremely well but since that's unavailable I had to bow out.

#49 7 years ago

I have a 2 owner HUO RFM and love it. I don't loose any sleep over board failures, but still wish nucore was available. When Terry @ pinballlife told me it was discontinued/suspended/whatever, I was bummed.

Just wish I knew more about why it was suspended. No demand, no profit, too much work, etc. While it's clearly a limited platform, RFM is a stunning accomplishment...especially when it's been tweaked with the best lighting/sound/video/etc. nucore seems like the best way to keep it alive and well for the next decade.

#50 7 years ago

I'm in for a "new" Nucore when it comes out.

QSS

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 778 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside