(Topic ID: 59561)

Now that PAPA is streaming/archiving video...let's be more spoiler sensitive

By jar155

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

C'mon, guys. Some of us have families, jobs, or just plain other things to other than watch pinball right when it happens. Can we not post spoilers in the thread titles about PAPA or other tournaments? On any other forum, people are really respectful about spoilers, and now we have two threads on the front page with the PAPA results in the thread title.

If I go to gaming forum, I sure as heck don't expect to see spoilers about a game's ending in a thread title. I also wouldn't expect to see TV show spoilers on a forum about TV shows in thread titles. Let's be smarter than that here and save the spoilers for within the threads so that if some of us want to watch later, we can do so without all of the results spoiled.

And even if it only bothers a handful of people, common sense says that there's no reason to not respect their wishes to not be spoiled. They shouldn't have to avoid Pinside for the few days it takes them to catch up just because you want to create a spoiler-filled thread title.

#2 10 years ago

Agreed. But oh well. It was on overnight here in Aus. I would have preferred to watch it later without knowing the result. I'm sure there are plenty Aussies and Kiwis would be in the same boat.

#3 10 years ago

It is like trying to record a sports game to watch later then leave your home.
    Almost impossible.
    I liked the link to the video so I can watch it from time to time.
    But I see your point and strongly agree.
    Just keep final standing out of title and everyone waiting to see it can avoid spoiler.

I am sure this was not the persons intention when sharing.
    Probably just oversight if they watch it religiously.

#4 10 years ago

We aren't watching the first couple episodes of Breaking Bad because we have a bunch of flight time to kill in a couple weeks.

We understand the danger we are in and the risks we are taking

#5 10 years ago

Sports spoilers are different than movies/tv/etc. If you don't want to know you have to stick your fingers in your ears and go Naa Naaa Naaaaa! when you pass the water cooler on monday morning.

I watch formula 1 usually day of the race but always time shifted. If I miss sunday on monday morning I can't look at certain feeds or sites before work because I know it will be spoiled. With sports the responsibility lies with the watcher, not those who watched.

Bottom line, if you don't want to spoil tournament results, it's up to you not to come to pinball forums, until you watch.

#6 10 years ago

I must not take pinball seriously enough.

I wouldn't have considered the winner of papa to be a spoiler of any sort... Heh.

#7 10 years ago

Spoiler alert:

The Ravens won the Superbowl last year and the ship sinks at the end of Titanic.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

Spoiler alert:
    The Ravens won the Superbowl last year and the ship sinks at the end of Titanic.

How did that ship sink? Was it a fire?

I know I should have watched that movie...damn spoilers...

#9 10 years ago

I'm confused. You don't have time to watch PAPA videos, but you have time to be on pinside? Which I may point out is the place you're "most likely to read pinball tournament spoilers"!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jodester:

How did that ship sink? Was it a fire?

Lord Voldemort

#11 10 years ago

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

I'm confused. You don't have time to watch PAPA videos, but you have time to be on pinside? Which I may point out is the place you're "most likely to read pinball tournament spoilers"!

Well, let's see...it takes 2 minutes to glance over the Pinside threads or it takes a couple of hours to watch the PAPA finals.

Spoiler apologists are crazy. It wasn't even an hour old before spoilers were in thread titles.

Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

Bottom line, if you don't want to spoil tournament results, it's up to you not to come to pinball forums, until you watch.

Except for that's not how it works. Common courtesy is to NOT POST SPOILERS IN THREAD TITLES. If you do that on other forums, you get banned. Why do we have to be the one forum that doesn't care about spoiling things for people within minutes after a result? Why is it so hard to just not purposely spoil results? There's no good reason to do so. It takes more effort to spoil something rather than to not. You have to go out of your way to ruin it for others.

Also, I'm sure Robin would prefer that people continue to drive traffic to Pinside rather than avoid it because of careless spoiler posting.

Edit: Also, it harms PAPA.tv views if spoilers are posted here. Let's help to keep people interested in those archives.

#13 10 years ago

Agreed. It seems reasonable to at least not put the winner in the thread title. Hey, you see it in a thread, so it goes. But a fighting chance to avoid it sounds good!

I'm just glad we have PAPA and that people are excited though.

#14 10 years ago

I think OP is having an unreasonable overreaction. Sure, it's nice for people try to avoid it for you. Fair enough. But it certainly isn't their obligation and it doesn't warrant the anger. This is a pinball-specific forum, meaning it's not hard for you to avoid it if it's important to you to be unspoiled, and, indeed, the burden to do so is on you.

I couldn't watch the finals yesterday and had the wherewithal not to come to pinside until I'd seen the video, for the same reason I don't visit the espn homepage if I don't want to know the results of the game and I don't visit the Breaking Bad forum if I'm behind. It's a hobby-specific site and you are acting like you accidentally stumbled over the news when you were trying to search ebay or something. That's not what happened, here, and you may want to simmer down.

#15 10 years ago

Ok, I'll agree on not in the tread title. That's reasonable.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from c3trey:

This is a pinball-specific forum, meaning it's not hard for you to avoid it if it's important to you to be unspoiled, and, indeed, the burden to do so is on you.

Hmm, you live in an odd world. Any time you spoil something, you choose to put it out there. Only someone with a very self-centric viewpoint doesn't understand the concept of being spoiler sensitive. ESPN is a news site, you'd expect to see news on results. Pinside is a discussion site, and spoilers shouldn't be expected without warning. It works that way in every other hobby/enthusiast forum.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

Hmm, you live in an odd world.

Well, I guess I'd have to agree that one of us does.

Look, I'm not advocating for spoilers. I'm advocating for controlling your own destiny. Yes, I'm familiar with many other enthusiast forums, and while many people are, like myself, careful about posting spoiler material, there are always newbies and people with different ideas concerning what's reasonable or what constitutes a spoiler in the first place. Inevitably, you get spoiled sometimes. I've learned the only way to remain unspoiled is to avoid the sites for a period of time. It's simply reality. Pretending that it's otherwise is what I see to be living in an odd world.

I suppose it's a question of life philosophy: you can attempt to control the behavior of everybody else in order to fix your problem or you can make the most minor of modifications to your own behavior instead. My experience indicates the latter is more likely to be successful, but, hey, good luck to you with the former. So far, it seems to be stressing you out.

#19 10 years ago

i think it's a bit much to stop people from posting the results on a pinball forum for the few that are in the dark. i don't go to espn to check hockey scores when i have the super bowl on dvr and don't want to know the outcome.

sorry to put that out there but i don't think it's right to sacrifice the rights of the many for the rights of the few.

#20 10 years ago

If a new episode of The Walking Dead comes out and I haven't seen it yet, I avoid twitter entirely. I do understand its kind of a downer, but its really not a huge deal. I also agree that it would be nice for the title of a thread to have an alert or just not have the name, but you cant really control that.

#21 10 years ago

People can post spoilers all they want, I'm not saying that they can't. I just don't think that they belong in thread titles. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

#22 10 years ago

I agree that it is spoiler friendly to not put the winner in the thread title. But I think your expectations here are pretty lofty.

If I knew that I wanted to watch the match later without knowing any results, I would have stayed the hell away from Pinside until I watched it. I mean, come on! When do people here do exactly what you expect!?!

If you care about dodging the results of a live sporting event, you avoid twitter, facebook, etc so as to not get the results ruined. I would just add pinside to that list, as this will happen again after the next big tourney.

As PAPA TV gets more popular, these spoilers will only get worse!

Maybe next time, plan a watching party / pin party and watch it live with friends!

Issue solved

#23 10 years ago

Well, this actually happened because I was at dinner at my parent's house. I pulled up my phone real quick to look something up online, and Pinside was the open tab on my browser. It auto-refreshed and I saw the spoiler before I even searched for what I was looking for (which, happened to be non-pinball related).

#24 10 years ago

Yeah, that sucks. I do not know how many times I got spoiled doing something similar.

I for one think it is AWESOME that you care enough that getting spoiled is annoying. I really am digging this excitement into pinball tourney watching.

ESPN 8 (the ocho) here we come!!

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

We aren't watching the first couple episodes of Breaking Bad because we have a bunch of flight time to kill in a couple weeks.
    We understand the danger we are in and the risks we are taking

Tread Lightly...

(you'll get that joke in a few weeks)

#26 10 years ago

On a mostly unrelated side note, I always thought it was funny how I could totally avoid NFL football results by going to a pinball event (PPE in particular).

Anywhere else, I would catch a 49ers score on a TV here, or overhear something from a guy over there.

But at a pinball show on Sunday, I was always totally safe!

Gotta love pinheads

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from micro:

Maybe next time, plan a watching party / pin party and watch it live with friends!

Yes I am down for that ! I kept thinking about that while watching on Sunday by myself. It would be awesome to have one for us weak players who didn't make the trip

#28 10 years ago

What did Bowen post here before he deleted it ? Curious minds want to know.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from micro:

ESPN 8 (the ocho) here we come!!

Haha is this for real? Heard them say that at the end. Also we need someone like the "Black Widow" like pro pool has. Someone who attracts a lot of "attention" and plays well.

#30 10 years ago

If it's almost a sport, they show it!!

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

He said, "Jeff is completely right and I couldn't have said it better myself. Let's all cheer for him in unison and then agree to his suggested courses of action."

That's not an exact quote, but it's really, really, close.

Competitive gaming gets tons of exposure online. Heck, StarCraft takes over local bars around the world for "BarCraft" events where bars will stream tournaments instead of showing sports for the night. I don't know if pinball has the same number of people to make it happen, but it would be dang cool to see someone make a good go at it.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

This. Exactly this. On the bright side, you can still watch ESPN and be pretty sure that there won't be any pinball spoilers broadcast there!

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from c3trey:

I suppose it's a question of life philosophy: you can attempt to control the behavior of everybody else in order to fix your problem or you can make the most minor of modifications to your own behavior instead. My experience indicates the latter is more likely to be successful, but, hey, good luck to you with the former. So far, it seems to be stressing you out.

I agree, I think this is the easiest solution. I think it's a little bit much for the OP to be making such a big deal out of this. I understand the frustration but it's really not that big of a deal. It happens all the time here. Any major sports results get posted right after the big games. It happens and its always going to happen. People get excited about the game and post about it. Iv'e never thought about asking everybody else to not do that.

Best solution is to avoid this forum if you don't want to know the results of a "pinball tournament". I do the same thing when I record a football game. I avoid all news web sites, until I watch the game.

#34 10 years ago

Change that thread title, stat.

"Someone beats everybody else in amusement device competition - discuss inside."

#35 10 years ago

The sports analogies are correct.

I like UFC, if I want to avoid spoilers of a PPV I haven't seen yet, I don't visit UFC forums. Same would be true for football, baseball, ANYTHING really.

I think it is GREAT that PAPA has been turning pinball into more of a "sport" with more people watching than ever before. So, no I'm not the one starting threads with the results, but I would not visit if I was planning on watching a delayed feed.

#36 10 years ago

Agreed. Don't want to know the results? Don't go anywhere that pinball is discussed. I honestly don't that that is unreasonable. If I PVR the Masters, I don't go on the golf channel website 5 minutes after the tournament is finished. Any sporting event takes hours to watch and most people are busy. People figure it out.

Personally I look forward to seeing the results of a major pinball tournament on the front page of a newspaper some day, as is the case with major sporting events.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

#38 10 years ago

The mysterious Bowen strikes again.

#39 10 years ago

I agree posting spoilers in a thread title is NOT cool. But you are also never going to fully stop it. You really just need to avoid Pinside until you catch up.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

Spybryon said:

Quoted from jar155:

He said, "Jeff is completely right and I couldn't have said it better myself. Let's all cheer for him in unison and then agree to his suggested courses of action."

That's not an exact quote, but it's really, really, close.

I already covered this.

#41 10 years ago

I just really don't get this. If you actually watched the whole thing you knew who was going to win long before it was over..........

#42 10 years ago

I didn't know who was going to win till the end.

#43 10 years ago

Yeah, me neither.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/now-that-papa-is-streamingarchiving-videolets-be-more-spoiler-sensitive and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.