(Topic ID: 114071)

Now that its over, did you chose The Hobbit SE or LE?

By jazc4

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Asael
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Now that its over, did you chose The Hobbit SE or LE?”

• SE 104 votes
    76%
  • LE 33 votes
    24%

(137 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

So for with 100 votes it is 3-1 for SE over LE. If distributors converted most of their orders to SE, it may be a while after shipping that the amount of LE's surpass SE sales.

#52 5 years ago

Jack said that there were far more LE orders than SE. Won't give out numbers though.

#53 5 years ago

I went with the SE

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Ha ha! LE is the rarest Hobbit of them all!

You guys realize that one distributor could have put one invoice order of 150 pins, right?
JJP would likely fill that 10 at a time, between other orders - but there could be 100's of SE's that pinside / poll will miss.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I regret that I won't get to see the thicker, shinier decals. Has anyone seen them and thinks they are actually worth the considerable extra expense?

Yes and Yes.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I think it is sad that we had to commit before playing it. I want either LE or SE but will buy neither until I have actual knowledge of game play.

Why did you have to commit?
Distributors ordered for stock, PinballStar has said they did - pinballsales likely has too. The market will quickly decide price, especially since supply is limited (at least order period is now closed, so we don't know the #, but it is a fixed quantity now). Ask PinballStar and see if Joe has any WoZ EC, RR or standard and the prices.

#57 5 years ago

Neither....Pat Lawlor's next title please

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Who knows? Nobody will tell us what we're looking at when you see a machine in person. It's always a high-gloss decal, but is it the thicker one? And do you really NEED a thicker one in a home environment? The Hobbit flyer says both the LE and SE have "ultra high gloss" decals with an upgrade to thicker ones available. So I'm assuming they're both really shiny and you're just paying for thicker decals.

Woz direct print and Woz decals are both "ultra high gloss". The Hobbit decals v. the thick decals were similar, but I'd say the thicker ones have more of a high gloss and have been through 6 months of testing for fade, UV, etc (per directly asking Jack at Expo after the reveal). I'd go with the thicker ones b/c I think they'd hold up better when moving the machine and look better in 10 years. We heard the direct print gouges can't be repaired well. Decals are replacable, but why do most people redecal?, b/c of fade (i.e. IJ, AFM).

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Woz direct print and Woz decals are both "ultra high gloss". The Hobbit decals v. the thick decals were similar, but I'd say the thicker ones have more of a high gloss and have been through 6 months of testing for fade, UV, etc (per directly asking Jack at Expo after the reveal). I'd go with the thicker ones b/c I think they'd hold up better when moving the machine and look better in 10 years. We heard the direct print gouges can't be repaired well. Decals are replacable, but why do most people redecal?, b/c of fade (i.e. IJ, AFM).

Testing is good, but how is it done. Does it represent real life useage? I find that with modern technology both decals should be durable and UV resistant. The only advantage for the thicker one should be protection against abuse and lots of moving. Ideal for operators. Not so much for home use.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Why did you have to commit?
Distributors ordered for stock, PinballStar has said they did - pinballsales likely has too. The market will quickly decide price, especially since supply is limited (at least order period is now closed, so we don't know the #, but it is a fixed quantity now). Ask PinballStar and see if Joe has any WoZ EC, RR or standard and the prices.

Maybe he has pre ordered? Hmm, probably not after reading the comment again. Then stock would be fine to choose from.

Post edited by PinballRulez: Reading again gave new insights

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Woz direct print and Woz decals are both "ultra high gloss". The Hobbit decals v. the thick decals were similar, but I'd say the thicker ones have more of a high gloss

On the JJP site they're both listed as "ultra high gloss" with no differences stated in amount of gloss. That's misleading if there is more gloss to the thicker decals.

#62 5 years ago

SE for me with PF protector and the thick decals.

The art of the LE has more variation to it. If you see the hobbit as some kind of road trip and the journey as a adventure the LE is the right choice for you.
But if you see Smaug as the BIG badass and antagonist to Bilbo, the SE is the way to go. Even after Smaug is killed, Thorin takes his role and has to fight against his greed. Only with the help of the hobbit he can win the struggle against the dragon curse. Golden Smaug edition is perfect for me, this game will be "my precious!!!!"

I think you can't go wrong with LE or SE. But in the end I took the SE because I liked the trim better.

#63 5 years ago

Now you just ruined the third movie for me.

#64 5 years ago

At what point do we have to indicate our preferences for the thicker decals and protector? I don't remember ever getting an email about for my pre-order.

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

At what point do we have to indicate our preferences for the thicker decals and protector? I don't remember ever getting an email about for my pre-order.

This is a good question, I was hoping I had a little time to get feedback and more information. I plan on getting the PF protector and the thick decals - just not sure I need them yet.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from kidvid:

If you know you want it for certain just email JJP and advise them!

While I think it's overkill to have this on a machine that would be home used I still contemplate getting it. My biggest concern is how it holds up over time and most of all how it is against getting dirt/dust under it. I have said it before I see this being like the plastic rings that manufacturers use to put around the pop bumpers. Over time dust/dirt would get under the rings and ruin the paint. What does the playfield protector have or do to deter the same thing from happening?

I've asked this question to several people and get "the product is too new to know what will happen" and the company that is making these has a website with no contact option and also that reflects "Coming Soon" for a product that was written up on Pinball News almost a year ago!

#67 5 years ago

I haven't seen them, but I heard they were looked great, so I bit the bullet and ordered my SE with the upgraded decals.

#68 5 years ago

I oredered mine with the PF protector. Not sure I am sold on the decals. I am wondering how the will hold up over time. Will they start to peel off/fade over time and if so what is the maintanance and how hard would it be to replace them; And could I upgrade at a latter date and put it over the oridanal art work? Too many questions with no answers for me. So for now I will just stick with the P/F protector.

#69 5 years ago

I think too much Smaug as well, I like the character representation on the LE. From a far though, the red appearance of the SE looks better.

Winner either way.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

If you know you want it for certain just email JJP and advise them!
While I think it's overkill to have this on a machine that would be home used I still contemplate getting it. My biggest concern is how it holds up over time and most of all how it is against getting dirt/dust under it. I have said it before I see this being like the plastic rings that manufacturers use to put around the pop bumpers. Over time dust/dirt would get under the rings and ruin the paint. What does the playfield protector have or do to deter the same thing from happening?
I've asked this question to several people and get "the product is too new to know what will happen" and the company that is making these has a website with no contact option and also that reflects "Coming Soon" for a product that was written up on Pinball News almost a year ago!

Bingo.

The playfield protector is complete overkill for home use. If you end up not liking it, you will have to remove the entire upper playfield to remove the protector. No thanks. Plus the Hobbit has a unique playfield with 4 pop-up mechs, so the protector will have holes cut in it, creating the perfect spaces for dirt particles to get under the protector. Also can you apply wax to these protectors? I doubt it. Does the ball behave the same way with the protector on, or is the gameplay slower? Too many questions.

I feel the protector is for machines that will be placed on location that will be getting 1000s of plays. If you're maintaining & cleaning your HUO machine regularly, there's no need for it IMO.

#71 5 years ago

I still don't know how you cut holes in the PF protector for those pop-ups and NOT have it effect gameplay. The ball will be catching those edges non-stop. I had a bitch of a time just getting my Congo lower playfield window leveled right. Those uneven surfaces would drive me batshit.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

Maybe he has pre ordered? Hmm, probably not after reading the comment again. Then stock would be fine to choose from.
Post edited by PinballRulez: Reading again gave new insights

Right, there would be stock, and probably more LE than SE in stock, in 6 months once people decide - you won't be able to order more SE, whether for stock or home - you have to get an existing one - whereas they'll be making LE's until they hit 1500 produced. And if I was ordering, I'd have ordered the SE, then if you want to get an LE later, there should still be plenty of the 1500 around. You if you can't commit, buy the SE, your change change your mind to the LE, but it may be harder to go from LE to SE just because of limited supply - still likely possible, but harder than LE in theory. I was questioning the writer's feeling he was pressured to commit since there was a 12/31 cutoff for orders - but offering an easier path of pick the SE, b/c changing your mind after seeing it in person, or seeing an LE a year later, whatever, you'll be able to change versions.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I still don't know how you cut holes in the PF protector for those pop-ups and NOT have it effect gameplay. The ball will be catching those edges non-stop. I had a bitch of a time just getting my Congo lower playfield window leveled right. Those uneven surfaces would drive me batshit.

Good points on the PF protector issues. My thoughts are to not have it, but this will be my first pin that I have to maintain - so I wanted all the protection I can get (or so I thought). I guess what I need to do is find a good thread on here or materials that give excellent instruction and best practices for excellent pinball machine care.

#74 5 years ago

What little I've read about play-field protectors doesn't make them sound that desirable for a home environment, so I don't think I'm going to go down that road.

As far as the thicker decals are concerned, what's the idea behind them? Do HUO machine decals normally wear out or fade, or perhaps JJP has indicated that they might offer alternative graphics that we could swap out in the future? There must be some big upside for spending another $400.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I believe the SE showed at Freddy's had one on.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

I think you can't go wrong with SE or SE. But in the end I took the SE because I liked the trim better.

Was that intentional? lol

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Was that intentional? lol

LOL NOOOOO!!!!!! Sry^^ I fixed it now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside