image-882.jpg
image-86.jpg
image-288.jpg
image-512.jpg
image-138.jpg
image-323.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

First off when I was born I definitely shot right past and missed the artistic ability line, so showing this with so much artistic talent a lot off posters here have is definitely intimidating...pretty much like ripping apart a stepper or score motor units for the first time...hahahha...anyway, I do enjoy seeing all the pictures of different games, and also processes and stages of others restorations so I figured I'd show my first attempt on play field touch ups on a Jet spin.

I picked this up 2 or 3 months back and have been gradually working on it. I've completed cleaning and adjusting all relays, steppers, score reels in the head and on the motor/relay board. Inside cabinet chimes, knocker, etc. cleaned and rebuilt as well.

This morning I cleared the play field top and put it in my homemade rotisserie. The game plan is just to fill in or redo areas with acrylic then just put coats and coats of wax. No clear coating attempts by me so that 37 some years down the road the current owner may have the ability to that. It's definitely a player pin that I'll try to make look a little better, and play perfectly.

Also first attempt at posting pictures so hopefully this works.

Here are some shots of the play field how it sits today without any cleaning.
image.jpgimage.jpg
image-138.jpgimage-138.jpg
image-138.jpgimage-138.jpg
image-882.jpgimage-882.jpg
image-71.jpgimage-71.jpg

Also when ripping apart and cleaning the coin door I found these so naturally with my new found wealth I called PB Resource
image-512.jpgimage-512.jpg

Also ran into this hack or quick fix...guess whatever it took to keep the game making money or to get rid of it in the 80's.
image-288.jpgimage-288.jpg
image-86.jpgimage-86.jpg

Thanks for looking...I'll start doing the first stage of cleaning to get the dirt off then alcohol and magic eraser, followed by novus to see what it really looks like.

image-323.jpgimage-323.jpg
#2 10 years ago

That roto looks really roached! I don't think I've ever seen a "JS" this bad. Except possibly for the one that was completely covered with black mold (the playfield and everything inside the cabinet!). I know the guy who actually bought it,and he used bleach to clean it up and it actually turned out nice. I'm pretty sure he sold it though.
Best of luck on your restoration. BTW, I would put a sliver of wood between the playfield and the jaws of those c-clamps if I were you.

#3 10 years ago

Yowzah, that roto-target is a hackers dream,hate when people do that.
Looks like you can repair it though, a little time and patience and it will be back playing before you know it.

#4 10 years ago

Steve young will repair that for you if you need it. He has a few select parts for the roto that he won't sell without installing them. Mine had two broken target stalks. He removed the old ones, put new and rivet. for like $40 I think.

#5 10 years ago

Roto-target is definitely another beaten part of this pin, but with some parts on hand I should be fine. I finished the time I had today cleaning the initial layer of dirt off the playfield with lightly sprayed simple green cloth then followed that up with very light pressure alcohol/ME combo and finally novus 2 to see what I had. Looks a little better so maybe test with another light alcohol/ME to see if more dirt (not paint) comes out tomorrow before I try some paint.

Question if anyone sees this....is novus 2 ok to put acrylic paint over, or should I use naptha or some other cleaner or prep before the paint?

A few before and after shots

image-701.jpgimage-701.jpg
image-23.jpgimage-23.jpg
image-997.jpgimage-997.jpg
image-96.jpgimage-96.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Acrylic paint probably won't adhere well unless you thoroughly remove all wax/polish etc from the playfield. Unless you clear over it, many waxes will eventually remove your acrylic paint touch-ups. I use Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax (no cleaners added) and it doesn't harm the non-sealed touch ups.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I use Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax (no cleaners added) and it doesn't harm the non-sealed touch ups.

The one I use is Johnson's Paste Wax as it was designed for wood surfaces, is pure wax with no cleaners as well, and can be found readily at Home Depot or Lowe's. Carnauba or Johnson's is the only way to go for EM wax protection in my book.

Ken

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax (no cleaners added) and it doesn't harm the non-sealed touch ups.

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

The one I use is Johnson's Paste Wax as it was designed for wood surfaces, is pure wax with no cleaners as well,

Those are Perfect^^ Just as long as a wax/polish product does not say silicone as thats a fish-eye maker! And you dont want that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/now-playingjet-spin-a-restore-attempt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.