3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RTS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150928_075737.jpg
    image.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg

#1 3 years ago

Anybody want to take a guess what was going on here?

Quarters going to some hole in the floor for basement storage? High crime location so straight into a safe?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 3 years ago

I love stuff like this.
    Whats the deal with the metal plate just below the coin door with a hole in it? Is it a hole??

#3 3 years ago

Yeah. Some kind of hole.

Maybe the whole thing is some kind of a portal to a other time or dimension.

Or maybe they just had it rigged up to accept tolls on the garden state parkway

It's a Gottlieb 300 by the way.

#4 3 years ago

Southern Freeplay!

#5 3 years ago

Maybe they kept losing the keys. Possibly this was an early attempt to set it to free play?

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from bballfan:

Southern Freeplay!

That was my first thought. The "southern" part just made it funnier.

#7 3 years ago

Maybe the operator didn't want to empty the coin box so frequently, so he installed a high-volume container under the cabinet.

#8 3 years ago

maybe they were making primitive binoculars so they can look at the bottom of the playfield to really watch the flippers in action. If it was a bingo machine, I could see it filtering the money in a chute system. But 300 is from 1973ish era. Wasn't a lot of pinball raids back then.

#9 3 years ago

So far the "southern free play" theory is my favorite.

#10 3 years ago

I think you should use this as a feature and just put a audio enhancer in there like a megaphone. Would work like a subwoofer, except for chimes.

#11 3 years ago

Some where, a Locksmith, has seen a safe with 2 holes in the top. Wondering why someone would drill holes in it?

Great photos, Levi. There must be other pins with just 2 holes in the bottom. With the assumption that the operator must have had other pins on that location.

#12 3 years ago

Actually the operator had a shoe fetish and would lay inside the cab on Friday nights...

43.jpg

#13 3 years ago

Shoe fetish? Not sure about that...but that line of thinking certainly opens up some disgusting possibilities.

#14 3 years ago

Are there any screw holes on the bottom of the cabinet under the megaphone enhancement?

If there was a cash box underneath it would have (hopefully) been attached by something more than duct tape...

#15 3 years ago

In the evenings the operator stood the game on its butt and converted it into old fashion peep show.

#16 3 years ago

In-cabinet beer dispenser?

#17 3 years ago

Farmers could milk happy cows as they played?

#18 3 years ago

Sub woofers for the chimes? : )

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from ShaunoftheDead:

Possibly this was an early attempt to set it to free play?

This. $20 says it was some dumb home owner who wanted to just get his coin back every time he coined up.

#20 3 years ago

yeah my first thought was someone used this for freeplay for some reason

#21 3 years ago

good thing the holes are on the bottom. If they were on the front of the cabinet, the possibilites could be endless.

#22 3 years ago

Well I don't know about the free play theory...game was already set to free play when I set it up as an unshopped project. Of course who knows the game is 45 years old.

Oh...the "southern" part was certainly right. Game has a 1979 South Carolina tax sticker.

Turned out nice. Much harder than the papa one that I destroyed at pinburgh. Man...you can get these old EMs so cheap, and get the working and cleaned up in about 2-5 albums' time and about $25 in parts. Yesterday this thing hadn't been set up or played in years and now it's good as new. Kind of.

I love newer games too but there's just something satisfying (and cost effective) about this part of the hobby.
    image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#23 3 years ago

and this game is fun as all shit. Super soccer (brother game to this one) is still my favorite EM of all time. Playing in groups is great for this game. Everyone usually wants to play "just one more" which turns into 7 or more just one mores.

#24 3 years ago

Super soccer is very similar. I think I prefer the bagattele on the right side of this game, as well as the theme, to soccer.

#25 3 years ago

Madonna's bra.

#26 3 years ago

I think we have a winner.

#27 3 years ago

This operator didn't trust the location owner to give him a key to the game. A lot of locations like coin box access so they can replenish their supply of quarters, but temptation is there to either skim off the top, or play all day for free. In this type of situation, I used to wire in a second play meter to count coins inserted along with giving them a key.

#28 3 years ago

Anyone have an explanation or guess for the metal plate in front with a hole in it?

#29 3 years ago

Anti-theft hole for laptop cable.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Anyone have an explanation or guess for the metal plate in front with a hole in it?

Easy Peezey. When the motor stops turning during play, or just keeps on spinning. A long thin wooden pole can be pushed through there to either nudge the motor or stop the motor from turning. No need to open the door at all.

#31 3 years ago

The best answer would be that the coin collecting box, that we presume would be below the game, had a locking pin that went through that hole. Like a upside down 'L'. Inside the game a pad lock would slip into a hole in the end of the rod.

#32 3 years ago

Please tell me you left those things in there. You can't dream this kind of stuff up nowadays. People were crazy genius's back then.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Super soccer is very similar. I think I prefer the bagattele on the right side of this game, as well as the theme, to soccer.

i agree the theme is better, but I like the duel spinners and semi symmetrical layout a little more.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I love stuff like this.
    Whats the deal with the metal plate just below the coin door with a hole in it? Is it a hole??

I think the whole setup is a glory hole situation.

This thing reeks of the old Pinball + milking machine fetishes.

#35 3 years ago

Oooooo Dave.... Just nasty..

#36 3 years ago

I have an EM with the identical metal configuration set up inside.

I never understood what it was either.

My game is a Surf Champ I bought it in Reno about 10 years ago but it has a license sticker from South Carolina dated 1979-80.

I assume it was owned by the same operator.

20150928_075737.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 137.00
    $ 209.99
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 229.99
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 93.00
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 11.95
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside