(Topic ID: 57443)

now i too 'have just bought an abra cadabra' !!

By manitouguy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pafasa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinball_rescue_abra_plastics.JPG
ab2.JPG
ab1.JPG
ab1.JPG
ab1.JPG
ab3.JPG
DSCN0068.JPG
DSCN0067.JPG
abra2.JPG
abra.JPG
abra5.JPG
abra3.JPG
abra4.JPG
033.JPG
045.JPG
039.JPG
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

hi all, just an excited post here ...

watching the threads on the abra cadabras lately - that is another one I have been looking for

today I came across a post elsewhere mentioning one four provinces away ... a phone call and some pictures later and now I have purchased one of my own!

now I have to figure out shipping across Canada - but thrilled about this one

off to look to see if Pinball Rescue sells a partial plastics set - I just need to replace the little plastics down by the flippers

yippee

regards, Ron

#2 10 years ago

Nice game, good luck on the pick up. Always like the translite picture on this game.

Once you've got it looking nice, you could update the gallery images on here, as they are a bit sparse.

Enjoy

#3 10 years ago

thanks Muppet -

yes the backglass is classic '70s gottlieb - great colors AND can't wait to put a couple of 'flasher' bulbs behind the 'monster's' eyes too

extremely excited about this one

once I get it I will post some pics - don't want to jinx things!!

regards, Ron

#4 10 years ago

Congrats Ron, it's gonna go nicely with your already super awesome collection.

#5 10 years ago

That's one on my Wishlist.

Have fun with it.

Ken

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

thanks Muppet -
yes the backglass is classic '70s gottlieb - great colors AND can't wait to put a couple of 'flasher' bulbs behind the 'monster's' eyes too
extremely excited about this one
once I get it I will post some pics - don't want to jinx things!!
regards, Ron

That monster is one of my favorites. The only rival is the strange world monsters. Good pin to own, congrats!

#7 10 years ago

thanks guys - yes really looking forward to this one!

Ron

#8 10 years ago

Nice pickup! I have had my eye on the add-a-ball version in Team One. I have found one not too far that I am trying to pry away from the owner

#9 10 years ago

cool Gov, yes until today I wasn't aware that there was an add a ball version in 'team one'

good luck!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

hi all, just an excited post here ...
watching the threads on the abra cadabras lately - that is another one I have been looking for
today I came across a post elsewhere mentioning one four provinces away ... a phone call and some pictures later and now I have purchased one of my own!
now I have to figure out shipping across Canada - but thrilled about this one
off to look to see if Pinball Rescue sells a partial plastics set - I just need to replace the little plastics down by the flippers
yippee
regards, Ron

awesome, show us some pics

#11 10 years ago

ok here is a teaser ... I don't want to jinx it - waay too excited

I still have to figure out how to get it from Ontario to BC ....!!

It appears to be in very nice condition and he stated it was fully working and all proper, w no damage or holes common to the press board cabinet panels

he hadn't cleaned it since he acquired it, so I am hoping with some careful cleaning and waxing it can turn out really really nice

abra1.jpgabra1.jpg 032.JPG032.JPG

#12 10 years ago

Nice one!

On my list as well, as keep hearing what a great player it is.

#13 10 years ago

Very neat. Jealous!

#14 10 years ago

Looks very nice! Welcome to the Abra-Ca-Dabra club!

#15 10 years ago

Looks good, nice buy

#16 10 years ago

thanks guys - yes I hope it is as nice as it appears - I think it is getting picked up today back east and then we will see how long shipping is before it arrives

have any of you out there with Abra's had a damaged back lower cabinet board? I've heard they are prone to breaking as they were out of cheaper chip board - I think this one has damage along the lower back edge on rear??

I may leave it, add some support bracket or some day replace the whole back cabinet panel .. but that may prove to be fairly involved??

regards, Ron

#17 10 years ago

The "chipboard at the bottom of my cab is very brittle and some parts are being held by duct tape. One of my side panels is starting to lift. All of this will be fixed in a few months when I have the cab restored to new.

#18 10 years ago

Great looking game
congrats

#19 10 years ago

yes, I am excited like I used to be as a youngster waiting for Christmas ... it looks like I may have to wait however as the kind pinballers back east who volunteered to pick it up and ship couldn't get to it and now are going off on holidays - patience, patience ...!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

thanks guys - yes I hope it is as nice as it appears - I think it is getting picked up today back east and then we will see how long shipping is before it arrives
have any of you out there with Abra's had a damaged back lower cabinet board? I've heard they are prone to breaking as they were out of cheaper chip board - I think this one has damage along the lower back edge on rear??
I may leave it, add some support bracket or some day replace the whole back cabinet panel .. but that may prove to be fairly involved??
regards, Ron

Do you mean underneath? Not sure what you mean but something else I need to be aware of!

#21 10 years ago

On Abra Ca Dabra, the rear panel on the cabinet is made of a chip/particle board, Medium Density Fiber Board, I am not sure of the correct name. This panel has a tendency to have parts chip off of it, especially along the bottom edge. If the pin is standing on end, like in long term storage, this board is usually damaged as the pin is stood up on end. A good suggestion during a complete restoration of the pin would be to remove this part. Replace it with some good quality plywood.
Were other Gottliebs built this way, that I am not sure of. The board inside the Backbox of my Strange World is a chipboard type of product, too.

#22 10 years ago

here is the photo of the one I am waiting on .. I wasn't aware it had this issue, but since the rest is pretty nice, I can live with - perhaps I will restore the cabinet someday too

004.JPG004.JPG

#23 10 years ago

Before they tip that up on end for moving, see if someone can collect all the little bits and pieces of stuff that's loose in the bottom cabinet first (nuts, bolts, paper labels, etc.) and put it in a small bag or envelope. That stuff likes to gravitate to the bottom of the cabinet, and with an opening like that, it will just sneak out when moved. Those little parts are useful when you get to restoring the game and find them missing later.

#24 10 years ago

Wow that's beautiful clean. A real find for sure. Wish I had one in any condition. I vaguely remember shopping those out in the early 80's.

#25 10 years ago

funny how many of theses have been finding new homes lately, seem like your hear nothing for so long them they all pop up at the same time, heard of a few of these recently moving. anyways congrats!

#26 10 years ago

thanks guys, yes I hope it is as nice as it appears - only issue I could see was a tiny 'rub' in the lower playfield where the end of one of the flippers must have come in contact with the unpainted wood - I don't think it is just in top coat / wax so likely won't buff out ... has anyone ever had success with some technique like spot clearing to improve on something like that??

#27 10 years ago

here are a couple of close up pics - have not seen in person, so not sure how 'deep' it is - cameras often make stuff appear a bit worse w flash etc

you can see some dried up wax and debris there too! at any rate just happy to have located a nice abra!!

regards, Ron

039.JPG039.JPG 045.JPG045.JPG

#28 10 years ago

Looks pretty darn nice..... congrats, great game!

#29 10 years ago

not sure why the 3000 insert is 'tilted'? if someone at factory put it in like that to add their mark .. or if they can twist over time?? I may just leave it 'as is' !

Ron

#30 10 years ago

Some were on Pinside there is a photo of an Abra Ca Dabra, with the lower number 4 roll over insert, it is rotated 90 degrees. I think in, Show us Your EM Pins.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Looks pretty darn nice..... congrats, great game!

Yep....and no bad Flipper drag either!

Ken

#32 10 years ago

My friend has an Abra with loose inserts like the 3k insert shown in yours they just need to be re glued.

#33 10 years ago

what I am wondering is if anyone has a technique for getting rid of small amount of flipper drag per the photo - do you spot clear with some laquer spray, just a bit in that area ??? or maybe try and wax and buff out a bit first?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from manitouguy:

what I am wondering is if anyone has a technique for getting rid of small amount of flipper drag per the photo - do you spot clear with some laquer spray, just a bit in that area ??? or maybe try and wax and buff out a bit first?

Looks pretty good...... Clean, wax, play!

#35 10 years ago

hi guys, question - how do the gtb wedge serial numbers work?

if I recall, ipdb lists a production of less than 3000 abras ?? (maybe I misread)

is this the serial number on mine? and if so how is it read if it is over the production number??

- update on transport - I think my kind helpers were picking up the pin tonight .. so it may now have taken its first steps to coming west ward

backglass on order and plastics for down by the flippers too!!!

033.JPG033.JPG

#36 10 years ago

Hello Ron.
There were 2825 ACD pins made. The 03381 is the serial number of your pin. It should also be on the top of the lightbox. Some times it is written inside, with an OK check near it. The serial also can be on the Tax Label that was applied to the upper apron.
On IPDB look for the Serial Number Data Base, it is an external site, it has some info on it. It would appear that the regular production ACD serial number starts at 03000. The one I have has serial 05532.
Here are the questions that I have. Were Gottlieb pins assembled with sequential numbering? Or would there runs of different model of pins on the same production line?

#37 10 years ago

yes, that's the serial number (it will also be stamped in ink on top of the backbox, on a paper label on the ball arch, and under a paper tag stapled to the inside of the cabinet on the wooden crossbar near the chimes)

For Abra, the production serial numbering started at 03000 or 03001, so this example is around number 380 from the production run. Sample games started at 01000 S or 01001 S (I'm not sure if they started at 0 or 1).

1 week later
#38 10 years ago

ok, apparently my Abra is now in town at the shipping depot!! off to try and collect it shortly here this evening ... fingers crossed and will post an update later

regards, Ron

#39 10 years ago

allright, it seems all good so far

firstly again a huge thanks to those of you back east who kindly went out of your way to help a west coast pin stranger get his Abra here - very very much appreciated!!!

and I must say that I was very impressed with Day & Ross shipping - Pin went out Thurs or Friday of last week and arrived approx. 4-5 days later - nice and speedy (and affordable too in my opinion)

pin was very well wrapped and palette by one of the pin Samaritans back east - I took a photo so I know how to do it well if/when the favor need be returned the other way

once at my place and set up I gave the Abra a good initial inspection - very much as described with no big surprises - that is always nice

when I loaded it into my car I peeked down the head box 'throat' into cabinet and noticed what appeared to be another 'transformer' mounted to the back of cabinet ... my guess is that someone along the way added a 'ground' plug set up ??? not sure what I am seeing here, but the original thin power cord is nicely bound and plugs into the side of this rear one, with a longer 3 prong cord coming out of it to power up .. all looks 'period' but curious??

insides look very nice and clean with no signs of modding or monkeying other than the above ... funny when I pulled off the playfield glass - then went to put it back, it would not fit - I noticed that it had a 'sag' in it and so if put in with 'crown' on top it wouldn't go under the metal guide at back!!

playfield is very very nice and will clean up wonderfully - the 'flipper burn' is hardly noticeable at all - it almost seems like a very fine coat of shellac or old wax of some type is covering the field - a couple of areas I test cleaned with novus and rubbing alcohol / magic eraser cleaned off this older 'coat' - I will carefully go across the whole playfield with a good clean, and on this one with several layers of good wax - in a few areas the paint appears to be close to 'rising' and I want to make sure I protect against that as best I can !! it really is beautiful though

my crooked 3000 insert was loose and rolling around playfield when I picked it up - so that will be an easy realignment too!

anyhow very very excited with this one - will post more as I clean it up and get it ready with some new plastics and back glass when they arrive as well

plugged in, it all seems to work properly (was very late so couldn't play a proper game or two) except the pop bumpers didn't seem to light up - will have to go to youtube to see what activates them to light up???

cheers, Ron

abra4.JPGabra4.JPG abra3.JPGabra3.JPG abra5.JPGabra5.JPG abra.JPGabra.JPG abra2.JPGabra2.JPG

#40 10 years ago

Looks fantastic! Great purchase. Have Fun playing it today.

#41 10 years ago

Enjoy! Getting a pin in promised condition is always a relief. looks great.

#42 10 years ago

thanks guys -

Darcy - not sure I will play it yet - am really going to take my time with this one and clean it up carefully / properly

will likely start with removing the flippers / plastics etc from top side and give it a good going over
(I may have to sneak a game or two in ... )

will also check if the pop bumpers are working, or more specifically why they didn't seem to be lighting up when I had a quick go last night ??

and still not sure what was on the playfield - if it was just old old wax or something else - it had a high sheen but seemed to have a bit of crackle to it??? whatever it was it protected the playfield very well - but as I cleaned up the dirt and grime I think it came off (safely) or cleaned up as well, so for consistency I will carefully clean the whole field then be sure to get several proper coats of wax on there too - at least that is the plan

serial number on head is different from cabinet, but that is fine by me

now can't wait for plastics and glass to arrive too

it really is a beauty and once cleaned will look fantastic

for now I will leave the cabinet repairs alone

oh, on yours - the two illuminated red 'lane guides' down by the flippers ... are they opaque red or very translucent red - mine are very translucent plastic .. almost 'red clear' - but I think the original would have had a more 'opaque' red or at least less see through??

cheers, Ron

#43 10 years ago

Congrats, great game with tough rule set to accomplish . I have an Abbra for sale if anyone is interested ,$975. Will put in marketplace after i take a few pics next week. Located near Boulder Colorado. PM if interested.

#44 10 years ago

HI Ghost, can you give a bit of a description on condition for yours?

thanks! Ron

#45 10 years ago

Hello Ron.

The lower ball guides are opaque, not totally translucent. I 'll send a photo this evening after work.

#46 10 years ago

Here are the 2 lower red ball guides in my ACD.

DSCN0067.JPGDSCN0067.JPG DSCN0068.JPGDSCN0068.JPG

#47 10 years ago

The ball guides are actually the same colour, the photo lighting has changed them.

#48 10 years ago

thanks Darcy - I picked up two nos proper ones today as well - my machine had the very translucent red ones

just removing the pop bumpers here so I can begin the playfield clean and wax process

cheers, Ron

#49 10 years ago

ok took it slow and easy and am really really pleased with my clean up on the Abra -
it really is a beautiful game! just a couple coats of mill wax for now, new rubbers and the lower lane guide red plastics - have some new coin insert plates and decals to go in yet and of course the lower plastics and backglass when they arrive too

adjusted all the posts to 'con' positions

this may just be one of the nicest playfields I have come across

now I need to figure out why my pop bumpers aren' t lighting up??

what triggers them to light on and off??

regards, Ron

ab3.JPGab3.JPG ab1.JPGab1.JPG

#50 10 years ago

Wow Ron, that is gorgeous, how you happen across all your mint playfields idunno. I just love the look of that playfield, can't wait to play it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

2,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Barnstable, MA
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/now-i-too-have-just-bought-an-abra-cadabra and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.