New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150470)

Now I really have a (first world) problem........(Poll Added)

By cooked71

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Whysnow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which 3 games would you get rid of:”

• Indy (Williams) 52 votes
    12%
  • Twilight Zone 36 votes
    8%
  • Medieval Madness (Wms) 15 votes
    3%
  • Attack From Mars 22 votes
    5%
  • Rollergames 121 votes
    27%
  • The Shadow 59 votes
    13%
  • Wizard of Oz 58 votes
    13%
  • MET LE 21 votes
    5%
  • Spiderman 58 votes
    13%

(Multiple choice - 442 votes by 154 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

For the first time since I began owning games I have a very "serious" and very first world problem.

Currently I am:

a) at pinball capacity - both physically and financially (in terms of how much money I want tied up in pinball).
b) really happy with ALL my games. Happy with the condition of the games, happy with the game itself, and happy with the balance of all the games as a "collection". They are all fantastic games and (IMO) all keepers.

Here is my collection:

Indy (Williams)
Twilight Zone
Medieval Madness (Wms)
Attack From Mars
Rollergames
Shadow
ACDC Luci
MET LE
Spiderman
Walking Dead Premium
Wizard Of Oz LE

Obviously it's taken me a couple of years of rotating titles and trading up to get it to a point where I am now 100% satisfied with all titles and their condition. I've all but stopped looking to buy used games.

Now herein lies the problem. I also have on order:

The Hobbit
AMH
RZ

Since I am at capacity, 3 of the above titles are going to have to go to fit these new titles in. And with so many other promising games also due this year, the problem is only going to get "worse".

What do I do? Which 3 games will go?

I'm not getting sick of these games as quickly as other new games are being released.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

(Will this problem, in some format, increasingly be an issue for the sale of new releases? Or, more likely, will it become a bigger problem for those collectors looking to move high end games in order to fund/make space for new releases? So the guys most likely in the market for my games, are also in the same position as I am - at capacity. They are also looking at new releases and therefore selling other high end games to make room.

I think saturation is the word I'm looking for.)

#2 4 years ago

Great problem to have lol. You have a nice collection

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Great problem to have lol. You have a nice collection

Thanks, it's why i used the embarrassed emoji.

Edit: and the word "problem" is used completely "tongue in cheek".

#4 4 years ago

Definitely rollergames and either afm or mm since they are similar . Probably ij or tz wld be one of the others.

#5 4 years ago

IJ and Rollergames gone for sure... one of MM or AFM for the last one.

#6 4 years ago

Bunch together similar games (like MM or AFM) and then get rid of one of the two. Also try to figure out what is played least in your lineup and target those as well.

If it were just me picking a lineup without regards for family or friends I would axe MM, AFM, and Spiderman, however I know family and friends would love AFM, so I'd keep it. To fill in that third spot I'd probably pick between Twilight Zone and Indiana Jones, with IJ being the one more likely to leave.

#7 4 years ago

Build a bigger house instead of buying pins. Then buy pins.

#8 4 years ago

Another option is to make a local friend and allow them to enjoy your left over games. Cycle games every few months.

In my experience, pinball friends are some of the best protectors of your collection of games.

Congrats on the first world problem!

Marcus

#9 4 years ago

Store a few at friends/ relatives?

#10 4 years ago

Whatever you do, do not get rid of Rollergames. The rest of that list, meh.

#11 4 years ago

I would Sell them to friends you have that "really" want one of your games. Not charity by any means, but it makes you feel good helping get the right game to the right person who will appreciate it like you did. You can also visit friends and play the game again.

Any "mistakes" in selling can be corrected in the future by buying the game back. If you sell it to a friend you kind of have a line on it for the futrue to buy it back. Good luck.

#12 4 years ago

Met and walking dead could go.

#13 4 years ago

Im thinking Indy might be first to go. Even though it's one I fully restored myself, and it's a great game, Im kind of sick of it. Spent way too much time on it at uni and restoring it. By the time I finished restoring it Im sick of looking at it.

Then possibly Rollergames, because I might be sick of it by then - but It's not easy to find down here. And it's fun in a quirky way.

Or AFM next - I can always pick up a remake at some point if I really miss it. I've completed it anyway - now to beat my top score, it's a 30-40 minute game.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Whatever you do, do not get rid of Rollergames. The rest of that list, meh.

OK, I'll sell everything and just keep Rollergames.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

OK, I'll sell everything and just keep Rollergames.

Skills.

#16 4 years ago

If me I would yard indy, rollergames, and woz.

#17 4 years ago

Added a poll, but since Pinside only allows 9 options, I didn't include ACDC Luci or TWD Pre since they are definately not going anywhere.

#18 4 years ago

Rollergames is your only real bang-for-buck game. Also the only non-DMD, so it provides something unique for your collection. Selling the game would not give you too big a financial return to cover the cost of new games. I've thus justified why RG should survive.

I'm with the posters above. Weed out similar games. With Hobbit on its way, it makes WOZ very expendable...

#19 4 years ago

Remember, you have to find buyers for the machines so let the market decide. Put 5 up for sale and see which ones go at or near your asking price.

You will be more happy getting the money you want out of them rather than discounting some to make room. Most of those are replaceable so if you get the right $ now you wont have remorse and can always buy them again later if you do.

#20 4 years ago

Condition of games would need to be factored in. Any BW in mint/pristine condition would have to be kept, only because the low probability of finding another in some condition would be tough

#21 4 years ago

So according to the poll it's Rollergames by a big margin, followed by a tie between The Shadow & WOZ, with Spiderman & Indy a close 4th & 5th.

Surprised Rollergames is so high - with 40 out of 59 total votes!!! (So not everyone voting for 3 games). On its own, its a fantastic game, but against my whole collection I guess something has to go. But as spiroagnew sais:

Quoted from spiroagnew:

Rollergames is your only real bang-for-buck game. Also the only non-DMD, so it provides something unique for your collection. Selling the game would not give you too big a financial return to cover the cost of new games. I've thus justified why RG should survive.

It's really the only "unique" game in the collection. I guess AMH / RZ will give me "unique" in spades.

Funny how only 3 of the games match the Pinside top 100 ranking MM, SM & RG - but such a small sample, plus the multiple voting, and a few other variables.

1 - Medieval Madness (Wms) (Relative Pinside 100 - 1)
2 - MET LE (5)
3 - Attack From Mars (3)
4 - Twilight Zone (2)
5 -Indy (Williams) (4)
6 -Shadow (8)
****The Chop Line*******
7 - Wizard Of Oz LE (7)
8 - Spiderman (6)
9 - Rollergames (9)

#22 4 years ago

So 11 games? Grab 8 quarters. Play 8 games and put the symbolic quarter on the glass after the game. When you're done, the 3 games without quarters on them are history.

It just reverses the logic. You are not picking games to get rid of, you are picking games to keep! Things become very clear when you have 3 quarters and 6 pinball machines left. Which ones do you want to play?

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So 11 games? Grab 8 quarters. Play 8 games and put the symbolic quarter on the glass after the game. When you're done, the 3 games without quarters on them are history.
It just reverses the logic. You are not picking games to get rid of, you are picking games to keep! Things become very clear when you have 3 quarters and 6 pinball machines left. Which ones do you want to play?

That's a great idea. Makes a lot of sense.

#24 4 years ago

I have a solution....get one of these. 80 pinball games flipper buttons on side with tilt buttons + 2700 other games, for less than a third of the price of a Stern pro. Great way to save space, just not as good as the real thing!

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#25 4 years ago

Hey Mark, I have exactly the same problem. I've started loaning my surplus out. Let's put the two surpluses together, find a small bar somewhere and start a new location.

#26 4 years ago

My first pin I ever sold was The Shadow and I have to admit... I don't miss it.

#27 4 years ago

That's a really nice collection you have there.....I would be knocking out a wall or moving a car out of the garage. I have a WoZ in my dining room (I love my wife), while I finish my basement. I ran out of room in the 4th bedroom where the temporary game room is at.

#28 4 years ago

Get a larger house.

#30 4 years ago

For me, dumping Rollergames and IJ were easy immediate votes.

I struggled on picking a 3rd, but decided on SM just because I used to own it and got sick of it.

I also think Shadow is worth keeping over TZ. TZ would become the weakest of the deep wide body games with Woz (and Hobbit on the way.)

You have a great set of games.

#31 4 years ago

Personally it would be Woz, Shadow, and TZ.....but I love Dave's idea.

#32 4 years ago

I'd definitely move Indy and MET.

The next on the chopping block would be Rollergames

#33 4 years ago

I voted Rollergames, TZ, and Spider man but I thought Indy was Indy 500. I probably would switch out Spiderman for AC/DC though.

It would be risky getting rid of games you love for games you haven't played. I would be tempted to find someplace to stash three games as others have suggested and then after owning the three new ones for awhile you may have a clearer picture as to whether any of those three are keepers. I've heard universal praise for AMH but RZ sounds brutal and Hobbit may get tiresome after awhile. It would also be a good idea to get rid of games that are easily replaced if you decide you want to bring it back. Good Luck.

#34 4 years ago

Get rid of > WOZ as you have TH coming in which looks/plays better and is overall similar but and improvement
Get rid of METLE > because it is more like MEHle and you already have other/ better fan layouts. Namely ACDC which is a better game and another Stern fan layout. Also the sparky multiball is one of the longest and dumbest MB starts out there. Seen it once you have seen it more than enough.
Get rid of MM > because you have AFM and it is the better of the 2 games Having AFM and MM is already very redundant.

All things said your colelction is very one dimensional so it seems your tastes currently are more centered around pricey top tier games. I personally woudl vote for more diversity so staying within your current outline, the above are the best games to get rid of.

#35 4 years ago

Great list of games! So subjective but my taste, I'd part w/ Rollergames, TWD then Spiderman or AFM in that if you get the itch, at least you'll be able to get an AFMR or SpideyVE within the foreseeable future.

Personally, I'd swap the RZ preoder for an Alien or TBL. I wouldn't sell your WOZ because having those two JJP games next to each other will be kinda cool. But I guess the same could be said about having Spooky games side by side.. so I'm talking myself in circles now. The dilemma is real!

Using audits - I'd tracked which games get the most play over a period of time (90 days) and I used that to weigh my decision as to what goes and what stays.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

It would be risky getting rid of games you love for games you haven't played. I would be tempted to find someplace to stash three games as others have suggested and then after owning the three new ones for awhile you may have a clearer picture as to whether any of those three are keepers.

Im worried about this also - swapping 3 (proven) great games for 3 unknowns.

Quoted from Whysnow:

All things said your colelction is very one dimensional so it seems your tastes currently are more centered around pricey top tier games. I personally woudl vote for more diversity so staying within your current outline, the above are the best games to get rid of.

Id love more diversity, but very time I consider it, I'm up against the same issue for which I started this thread - I weigh up the games I have, and the games I would like, and the games I have always win. Ive had early solid states for example, and while they are great to look at and play every so often, they just don't get the long term plays. If I could have a larger collection (e.g. 28!!) i would definitely want more diversity.

#37 4 years ago

Yeah, different strokes for different folks. With a collection of 11, I would still have very similar diversity to what I suggest.

I need to get more divers actually. I would like to eventually get 1 newer Stern for my home collection and 1 older EM. Just have not found the right one or the right price.

Ideal diversity for me with a collection of 10 or more:
1 New Stern (they are all VERY similar; but coding like TWD and GOT is adding some variation lately so that may change)
2 classic B/W titles form 90s ( 1 wide body and 1 standard)
1 TH (better than WOZ from what I have seen)
1 Heighway (bonus that you could get FullT and then buy kits for future ones to save space)
1 Spooky
1 GTB premier
1 GTB 80b
1 Sega/DE
1 Sys11

If more room than 10 then just keep upping the diversity or concentrate on the style you really like.

I have varied tastes and actually find that I play my games more when I have more things to pick from and switch around between.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside