• Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Spike2.png
Spike1.png
RGB565test.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

As long as there is no profit involved, there is little they can do. Start charging for something, and you will find yourself marked.

That's not true.

I was part of a group that was sued by a very large game studio for emulating their server software. We wrote our version of the server software from scratch too.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

server software is a little different than modifying existing software or art work mods. You would have to prove that the things aulrich was doing effected their sales negatively. If anything, he boosted their sales. Legal battles cost money to fight though.

We didn't even entertain the notion of fighting them on it. It ended up OK though.

1 week later
#36 8 years ago

Could be some kind of internal signing, like what internal tool version created the frame?

It could also be a bunch of bits that signal different settings/etc.... just packed into two 32 bit integers?

#50 8 years ago

That's not some kind of seed to decrypt the frame is it?

Have you gotten any kind of usable frame data yet where you can actually make out an object?

#53 8 years ago

Have you been able to put together two color images from back to back frames yet, or just random frames?

With this weekend being memorial day, maybe I'll get a chance to poke around too.

#55 8 years ago

Where can I get some of the spv files? (Apologies if you linked them earlier)

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

These frames are 320x240? Are they for the little LCD screen? If so they might be RGB 565 data.

I tried decoding as RGB 565 and get a colored static. I'm going to try 555 and some other schemes next.

RGB565test.jpgRGB565test.jpg

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

I'm getting to the point where it's probably going to be easier to just disasm the game file and work it out from there.

That was going to be my next step this weekend.

I've tried pulling it out as 5-6-5, 1-5-5-5, 5-5-5-1, and some others. The pixel data doesn't make sense.

Is there any kind of hardware based video processing on the spike board? Like an H.264 decoder or something?

#62 8 years ago

There are 8 "standard" RGB schemes that fit in 2 bytes, I've only tested 3 or 4 of them.

http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/packed-rgb.html

I'll be testing all 8 and posting my results in a day or so.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

This is interesting as I have hunch that it's some kind of simple XOR and the data in that frame should be black at least for the first few rows, judging by the videos on youtube.

Does anyone have a wreslemania LE that can take a good video of the WWE Logo on the LCD screen?

I need some kind of reference to see what the video looks like so I can at least try to figure out if there are any hints I can go after, like two pixels that are the same color next to each other. I have yet to find something like that. I'm wanting to see the video so I can at least see the corners and maybe get lucky that there's black pixels in a corner or something.

Bonus points if you take a video in slow mo mode on your phone so I can see the individual frames in the LCD video better.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Would the Pin Browser app help any?

Like Aurich said, this is new territory. The SPV video file is what Sonny_Jim, myself, and others are messing with.

When we figure out the format, that knowledge could be used to add the functionality to pinball browser to convert videos to SPV files, letting you replace them on the games.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Work on progress
Spike1.png (Click image to enlarge)
Spike2.png

Hey oga, did you find anything that might help with the SPV files?

I'm going to step through the game code assembly this weekend but was hoping for a quick win with it. I've tested all of the eight RGP 2-Byte schemes I can think of, but it's possible they came up with their own.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

More interesting : there is a workaround to replace the existing videos, without knowing the keys...

Ohhhh, do share. Are you subbing in pixel data in the file and somehow modifying the header bits to indicate that it's not encrypted using that key? Are you just bypassing the key check by using a modified game binary?

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

The code can process spv without encryption. No need to modify the binary.

Did you uncover what RGB byte format they use?

1 week later
#93 8 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Yes, no need to modify the code, it can work without encryption.
See this post (and the previous ones) :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/35#post-2500445

Sweet! Well done guys.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 35.00
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.50
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wolfmarsh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/now-cracked-sterns-spike-package-tool?tu=wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.