Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by wizzardz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Seriously, it smells like dead fish. Does this bother anyone? I wouldn't be complaining as much if the smell had left my hands after the third trip to the sink.

#2 11 years ago

Compared to some of the cleaners and glues I've used in the past, in coin op.

It isn't bad.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I wouldn't be complaining as much if the smell had left my hands after the third trip to the sink.

Try Dawn dish washing detergent.

#4 11 years ago

smells like fish oil and happiness

#5 11 years ago

You might be using it wrong.

#6 11 years ago

I actually love the smell of novus.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheBaron:

I actually love the smell of novus.

In the morning.

It reminds me of victory !

#8 11 years ago

I like the smell of Novus 3.

But Novus 2 smells like ass.

#9 11 years ago

I prefer 2 over 3

#10 11 years ago

It tastes better that it smells-
    try it on toast

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

It tastes better that it smells-
    try it on toast

Bwahahaahaaa

#12 11 years ago

I don't care how it smells just as long as it gets the job done.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

I don't care how it smells just as long as it gets the job done.

Does the same apply to women?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Seriously, it smells like dead fish. Does this bother anyone? I wouldn't be complaining as much if the smell had left my hands after the third trip to the sink.

Sounds like a good base for a chowder.

Kit`s scratch-out smells like coconut suntan lotion sometimes feel like I am at the beach.

#15 11 years ago

It def smells like shit.

But novus 1 on the other hand, smells like heaven!

-jon

#16 11 years ago

2 and 3 belong in the trash. $hit products. Up there with Mothers.

#17 11 years ago

Works great at cleaning.... what it's designed for.

#18 11 years ago

I love the smell of Novus 2 in the morning... smells like... victory.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrewAVL:

Does the same apply to women?

Once you get past the smell, you got it licked!

#20 11 years ago

It smells like pinball....

#21 11 years ago

It tastes weird, too.

#22 11 years ago

Try snorting millwax?

#23 11 years ago

If you want something that smells better and in my opinion is equal or better to novus 2 - try: Plastx

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16550253?adid=222222222270010027956&wmlspartner=wlpa&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

#24 11 years ago

I wonder if those who say it smells like fish have ever actually spent any time around fish. It smells nothing like fish.

#25 11 years ago

I never noticed any smell about Novus.

#26 11 years ago

Doesn't smell like much of anything compared to the wax. Yuck

#27 11 years ago

Stop snorting it and just use it to clean your pin.?

#28 11 years ago

The carnauba wax I use smells like bananas to me, Novus has a smell, but not like fish really to me. Not sure what, slightly unpleasant.

#29 11 years ago

I always thought it smelled like Irish whiskey...Oh wait ,never mind

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Seriously, it smells like dead fish.

I put it on my fish.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I never noticed any smell about Novus.

Me neither. I suspect he may be using too much. All that is needed is a small dab on a microfiber cloth. I hope no one is squirting it directly on to the playfield. That's not the way to do it.

Honestly, I think using the correct cloth (microfiber) allows you to use a lot less Novus. The cloth should be doing most of the cleaning. Novus just makes it easier. Small dab on the rag, clean small area, look at rag. Is there dirt on the rag? If yes, continue to clean that area rotating clean areas on the rag each time. Clean each area until you don't see dirt on the rag. Microfiber cloths suck up the dirt. If there's no dirt on the rag after you cleaned an area, that area is done. No Novus should end up on your hands or the playfield. I occasionally refill a small bottle from a bigger bottle, but I can't remember the last time I bought Novus.

Wallyworld sells microfiber cloths cheap. No excuse not to use them. They make cleaning easier and faster.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microtex-Microfiber-Cleaning-Towel-8-pack/16213475
    (only available in stores)

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Me neither. I suspect he may be using too much. All that is needed is a small dab on a microfiber cloth. I hope no one is squirting it directly on to the playfield. That's not the way to do it.

your microfiber cloth is as important as your cleaner/wax i feel. you can get the cheap ones, or the good ones. don't want swirl marks on your pf because of cheap or dirty rags.

btw maybe you have the mexican import of novus 2? or newvus 2? lol

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

=
    Wallyworld sells microfiber cloths cheap. No excuse not to use them. They make cleaning easier and faster.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Microtex-Microfiber-Cleaning-Towel-8-pack/16213475
    (only available in stores)

Those are pure trash, sorry. They are so rough and rugged, just junk. Go to auto store and buy a higher end, soft nice set of a few. The few extra bucks to have it 1. work way better and 2. not scratch things up, is more than worth it.

I've gotten those exact ones before and they were so cheap feeling and working.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Those are pure trash, sorry. They are so rough and rugged, just junk. Go to auto store and buy a higher end, soft nice set of a few. The few extra bucks to have it 1. work way better and 2. not scratch things up, is more than worth it.
    I've gotten those exact ones before and they were so cheap feeling and working.

I could not agree more~I hate those mirofiber POS. IMHO, there is NO substitute for a good old-fashioned cotton diaper. This goes for everything-car detailing, pin detailing, household work, wood staining etc. When they get too beat their last job before the dumpster is an oil change clean-up rag. You can usually pick these up in bundles of 12 or so for a few bucks. Nothing fancy, no marketing no bright packaging. Hmmm, I wonder if that's why they are so under rated?
    Doc

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Those are pure trash, sorry. They are so rough and rugged, just junk.

I disagree. I think that too many here are just using old socks to clean their games. Those Wallmart rags are way, way better than a regular old cotton rag. My goal in posting that link was just to get them using any kind microfiber cloth. Most everyone has a Walmart near them and the price is right.

Quoted from Doc:

IMHO, there is NO substitute for a good old-fashioned cotton diaper.

I operate pins and I've tried all different kinds of cloths. Clothes designed to clean optical equipment, clothes designed to clean high end tape drives, cloths for cleaning shotgun barrels, all of them. Microfiber are by far the best for pinball. Nothing else is close. As I said, your cloth should do most of the cleaning, not the Novus. Microfiber cloths allow you to make the most off your cleaning efforts. Less Novus, less effort, less time cleaning. Can't beat that combination.

#36 11 years ago

If you want a 'high end' rag, you can get them here:

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cleaners_polishes/microfiber_cleaning_cloth/119

These cloths are sold by Tap Plastics (see URL). Novus 2 is designed for plastic. No need to see that annoying greeter at Wallyworld if you buy from the link.

Note that microfiber cloths are machine washable, but you do NOT want to put them in the dryer. They attract lint like a super magnet, which makes them useless. Hang them out to dry instead. I also use them to clean playfield glass, although I don't mix the two. It's either a playfield rag or a glass rag.

#37 11 years ago

Have you been using it on dead fish?
    I think that would be an "off label" use...
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Seriously, it smells like dead fish.

Try some fresh stuff - maybe yours is spoiled.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/novus-2-stinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.