10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by HHaase
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Short story is that I just bought 75 pounds of lead free solder bars, so funds are a bit tight and I need to get some income moving along to roll out my next products (and to pay the bills next month). So for US customers, from now until the end of November, it will be free shipping on all orders.

So if you haven't been over to www.siegecraft.us to check out the humble selection of diagnostic gear to help your Williams and Data East machines, wander on over and give it a look-see. Some new stuff has been rolled out the past couple months. One is a great little diagnostic piece to test your WPC generation flipper opto boards. Or the NeoLoch RAM tester that will verify if your 5101's, 6116's and 6264's are good or bad. Big project machine coming up? These buggers will help simplify it for sure.

Plus you'll be helping me be more environmentally friendly, as this is going to move me along the process of converting everything to lead-free production.

#2 10 years ago

I don't want any test equipment that has been assembled with lead-free solder. In my opinion, lead-free is nothing but trouble. I only use conventional 60/40 lead solder.

#3 10 years ago

These tools Hans makes are worth their weight in gold. Everyone can use the switch and lamp matrix testers. Buy them all!

#4 10 years ago

I know a lot of folks dont like working with lead free, but from a business stand point I really dont have a choice. Can't sell in Europe unless it is rohs compliant, and I cant afford the expense of doubling my tooling and inventory. Already starting to see some lead free requirements in the US too for some products at the state level, so It is only going to be harder to avoid in the future.

#5 10 years ago

Love your products and just referred you to someone who bought from you during expo.
    Understand your position on lead free, but I hate the stuff.
    Used to work on printers and HP RARELY had board problems. but starting in 2007ish formatters and NIC cards would fail commonly. 100% due to solder cause you could bake them to reflow the solder and it would fix about 80% of them.
    M grandparents grew up with lead paint, lead in water and plumbing and they lived to late 80's/early 90's and didn't have any extra limbs or growths. lol I think it's a bunch of hooey myself.

I'll take a look at your new products and probably place another order! Thanks for the posting!
    D

#6 10 years ago

I've bought one of his boards and had him do some repair work. Great stuff all the way around. Next time I need a WMS bd worked on it I'm sending it to you.
    Izzy

#7 10 years ago

I hate to eliminate a market for products, but the reliability issues surrounding lead free solder and various certificates/proofs of compliance of RoHS, CE markings, etc and increased shipping rates has caused me to limit or cease sales to the EU for any pinball boards I'm creating. I used lead free solder and RoHS pcbs/components for a limited time on products being shipped out of the country earlier this year and most orders went through customs fine, but had a few orders to Germany get held in customs and returned due to not having proper CE certification. Can't eat $10-14 shipping refund each time that happens and I know that even if I make it known to customers that if orders are held in customs and returned, I cannot refund shipping.. some customers are still going to be upset when that happens. It's a shame because I know there's some demand from EU states for these products, but they are too niche and low volume of sales IMO to go through all that hassle and possibly have reliability issues on top of it.

#8 10 years ago

Tin Whiskers from lead free solder has caused many failures in electronic equipment. Documented here:

http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/failures/index.htm

In the USA, these industries/organizations are exempt from using lead free solder:

Medical equipment
    Life Safety equipment
    Railroad equipment
    Aircraft equipment
    Ships/water craft equipment
    Police equipment
    Fire department equipment
    Construction equipment
    Military equipment
    NASA
    Carnival/amusement park rides

And many others too numerous to list.

Tin Whiskers in the car's control computer boards have also been cited as a possible problem in the Toyota 'unintended acceleration' incidents:

http://www.designnews.com/document.asp?doc_id=247907&dfpPParams=ind_184,industry_auto,industry_gov,aid_247907&dfpLayout=article

Here's a good description of what tin whiskers are:

http://www.tinwhisker.us/

Post edited by KenLayton : Added link to description

#9 10 years ago

If lead free solder is such a bad product and those industries are exempt, I'm sure the governmental regulators will change their direction. All we need to do is to contact our legislators.

#10 10 years ago

We can debate the drawbacks all we want, and I completely agree that eutectic lead 63/37 is far superior. But i had a solder pot to fill and needed to make a business decision. Lead free is a requirement for selling to customers in Europe, and that restriction is not going away. Those EU rules are actually getting even stricter in 2014, and California has started to implement them to a limited degree too. So I have to adapt to the rules, and make it work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/november-sale-at-siegecraft-electronics-free-domestic-shipping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.