IMG_9148 (resized).jpg
IMG_9147 (resized).jpg
IMG_9146 (resized).jpg
IMG_9152 (resized).jpg
IMG_9150 (resized).jpg
IMG_9149 (resized).jpg
AC8572E6-2DC5-4F3A-BD50-660F17346D89.jpeg
e2815a0d-a237-469d-89b4-8b7e3ae3b97e (resized).jpg
http___cdn_cnn_com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190415173024-02-notre-dame-wood-frame (resized).jpg
http___cdn_cnn_com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190415172318-01-notre-dame-wood-frame (resized).jpg
20180629_012804 (resized).jpg
20180629_013029 (resized).jpg
20180629_011937 (resized).jpg
IMG_9145 (resized).jpg
IMG_9143 (resized).jpg
20180628_233946 (resized).jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Looks devastating and out of control.

#2 4 years ago

At first I thought you found a hidden mode in Revenge from Mars!

Shit, that looks awful....What a stunning Cathedral!

#3 4 years ago

It is looking like it will all be gone. The fire has been getting worse and there is no sign that fire fighters are making any difference.

#4 4 years ago

Wow....such a tragedy.....

Got to visit that Cathedral when I was in Paris in 2004.

It was undergoing renovations....possible cause of todays fire?

#5 4 years ago

Wow, this is incredibly sad... Without question the most beautiful building I have ever been in

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from nascarrey:

It was undergoing renovations....possible cause of todays fire?

That seems to be the case.

[edit]: Yikes, I saw the news when the fire just started, and now the whole thing is basically aflame. That's incredibly unfortunate. It's sounding like they aren't going to be able to save it now

Almost nine centuries of history...what a shame.

#7 4 years ago

How sad what a loss.

#8 4 years ago

My heart is broken. So very sad.
We can only hope everyone got out.
We went last July, so lucky.
A few pictures if you don't mind.

20180629_020635 (resized).jpg20180629_020635 (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago
20180628_233917 (resized).jpg20180628_233917 (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago

I don't think it's destroyed; the roof and one tower is. I was 1/4 mile away when it started - it really was fast. You could see the smoke from far away.
Fortunately the church was closed at that time (around 7pm) so no visitor. Most precious religious (and art) items have been saved.

THe wikipedia page has been updated already... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris

"A water reservoir, covered with a lead roof, is located between the two towers, behind the colonnade and the gallery and in front of the nave and the pignon. It can be used to quickly extinguish a fire."

Well, that did not help !

#11 4 years ago
20180628_233946 (resized).jpg20180628_233946 (resized).jpg
#12 4 years ago

Tragic

#13 4 years ago

Tragic

#14 4 years ago

So very sad, what a piece of history!

#15 4 years ago

It will take years, but my bet (or hope at least) is it will be restored.

#16 4 years ago

Pictures I took from a safe distance.

IMG_9143 (resized).jpgIMG_9143 (resized).jpgIMG_9145 (resized).jpgIMG_9145 (resized).jpg
#17 4 years ago

That truly sucks. i'm never a fan of seeing burning landmarks in a city, too many flashbacks.

If only they had flying water tankers!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sadly it may create greater harm than good. The sudden weight of water may make the nef collapse. The wooden roof is gone; the stone arch is (was?) still here, but weakened.

#20 4 years ago

This is so heart breaking for me.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Must act quickly!

#22 4 years ago

The weight of the bells worries me.
This is a huge loss for the entire world.

20180629_011937 (resized).jpg20180629_011937 (resized).jpg
#23 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That truly sucks. i'm never a fan of seeing burning landmarks in a city, too many flashbacks.

This went fast. Within 30 min there was no way to attack the fire. To late now, this needed a few light load helicopter drops in those first moments. No way to get there in time.
I am not there, my pictures are from last July.
I've just been in shock watching CNN.

Quoted from jlm33:

Pictures I took from a safe distance.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for sharing.

#24 4 years ago

I'am frenetically trying to remember a Church or Cathedral I visited some years ago (edit: that was in Nantes) - its roof seemed odd to me; the reason was it was rebuilt "differently"(i.e., cheaply) after a major fire. Meaning there is hope.
Sadly the spire you can see on the second picture I took is now gone.

I have to go to work tomorrow very close to Notre Dame. Not sure if I can stomach the view.

#25 4 years ago

Virtual reality to the rescue if this truly goes down. Will never match the original sadly

#26 4 years ago

Indeed - The pictures I took were taken at 7:32 and 7:39 pm - 40 minutes only after it started (I read 6:50 pm somewhere)

#27 4 years ago

Thanks for the pics (from the recent visit and of the fire). I visited as a teenager when I spent a summer in France and the photos do help remember. Long time ago in my eye (1980's) but just a blink ago in the Cathedral's timeline. Staggeringly sad.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#28 4 years ago

Sad.
That fire will likely smolder for a day. Those very old, tinder dry timbers. As long as no one was injured, stuff can be replaced. Although a large structure built the way it was will take decades to reconstruct. Can not imagine the phone call from the restoration company to their insurance agent? Guess their insurance premium will go up next year.

#29 4 years ago

This is very hard to watch, such an amazingly beautiful place with so much history. We visited there about 10 years ago and can't imagine what it will be like for Parisians if it is indeed beyond salvage / rebuilding. Even then I can't imagine it matching the former beauty of it.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

This is very hard to watch, such an amazingly beautiful place with so much history. We visited there about 10 years ago and can't imagine what it will be like for Parisians if it is indeed beyond salvage / rebuilding. Even then I can't imagine it matching the former beauty of it.

Well said. 11pm in Paris and she's still burning. It will smolder for days, if not a few weeks. The center of structure so to speak in picture post #9 above...those four pillars with attached roof have collapsed and fallen.
What's sinking in for me, this will take many generations and perhaps a few hundred years to rebuild.

20180629_013029 (resized).jpg20180629_013029 (resized).jpg
#31 4 years ago

Has there been any information as to the cause of the fire?

#32 4 years ago
20180629_012804 (resized).jpg20180629_012804 (resized).jpg
#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Some are saying arson, that fires broke out in multiple locations at the same time, but who knows.

#34 4 years ago

15:56
BREAKING
'Structure saved'
Reuters news agency is quoting an official with the French firefighting team as saying: "We can now say that the structure of Notre-Dame has been saved from total destruction".

AFP is also reporting that the main structure has been "saved and preserved", citing an official.

- From the BBC.COM

#35 4 years ago

They'll fix it.

They can fix everything.

-Robocop

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

stuff can be replaced.

Well, in this case, there were priceless historical artifacts and artwork that can't really be replaced. It's not something you could pick up at a local shopping center.

However, I just saw that it seems that they got control of the fire and the towers appear to be out of danger.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They'll fix it.
They can fix everything.
-Robocop

It might be that with global attention on this disaster, there could be some generous donations on the way to help with rebuilding.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Clearly work of the devil. Fire rising from the depths of hell.

#39 4 years ago

While Notre Dame will certainly be rebuilt, there was a lot of things in there and in the building that simply can't be recreated.

#40 4 years ago

I sure hope this wasn’t intentionally set. Centuries of human history......

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Sadly it may create greater harm than good. The sudden weight of water may make the nef collapse. The wooden roof is gone; the stone arch is (was?) still here, but weakened.

Levi was taking a jab at a suggestion from some asshole on Twitter.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, in this case, there were priceless historical artifacts and artwork

They reported that a lot of the priceless stuff, especially the statues, were removed last week and at an offsite location due to the ongoing construction so that's good news as well.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Clearly work of the devil. Fire rising from the depths of hell.

That or Vikings.. I hear they have been trying for 1200+ years..

#44 4 years ago

This is truly tragic, a horrible horrible sight when a landmark that’s withstood so many centuries is nearly destroyed and totally gutted by fire.

I understand the bandwagoners like to jump on and hate folks with suggestions. Glad they didn’t risk damaging the structure with airborne fire retardants, clearly letting it burn itself out has saved this building from destruction! What a good idea!

#45 4 years ago

I can only imagine the damage. Very sad.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I understand the bandwagoners like to jump on and hate folks with suggestions. Glad they didn’t risk damaging the structure with airborne fire retardants, clearly letting it burn itself out has saved this building from destruction! What a good idea!

Are you serious right now? He wouldn't say it, but I will...the idiot that suggested dumping tons of water from planes was Trump. Clearly, someone with actual legitimate firefighting and architecture experience, as no doubt you have as well. It has nothing to do with bandwagoning, it has to do with not being a moron and crushing an 800 year old structure under the weight and impact of the water. Nobody was saying ANYTHING about fire retardant chemicals.

#47 4 years ago

http___cdn_cnn_com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190415172318-01-notre-dame-wood-frame (resized).jpghttp___cdn_cnn_com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190415172318-01-notre-dame-wood-frame (resized).jpg
http___cdn_cnn_com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190415173024-02-notre-dame-wood-frame (resized).jpghttp___cdn_cnn_com_cnnnext_dam_assets_190415173024-02-notre-dame-wood-frame (resized).jpg

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It might be that with global attention on this disaster, there could be some generous donations on the way to help with rebuilding.

A rich Frenchman has already stated he would donate 100 million Euros.

#50 4 years ago

Here is the Coles Notes version.

Broke ground 1163. Mostly completed 1260.
The French Revolution in the 1790's most religious artifacts were damaged or destroyed.
Restorations in 1844 and 1864. 1864 the spire was added.
Other restorations and façade cleanings 1963, 1991, and 2001.

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/notre-dame-in-paris-being-destroyed-by-fire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.