6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tomds
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

This may be old news to you pros, but I'm doing my first playfield touch-up and was bewildered by the tremendous range of paint brush types available at the hobby stores. Even more frustrating, there was very little, if any, information as to the difference between the many bristle types. I even went to several of the manufactures' web sites and couldn't find anything.

So I emailed the good folks at Royal Brush (distributors of Royal and Langnickel brushes available at Hobby Lobby) and they immediately responded with the following:

Black Taklon = soft
    Gold Taklon = firm
    White Taklon = stiff

In addition, I found on the back of another brand's brushes that, while all Taklon brushes work well with acrylics, "soft" is best for detail work and leaves fewer brush strokes, while "stiff" is better suited for covering larger areas and leaves more brush strokes.

Of course everybody's going to have their own preference, and I'm sure some will say it really doesn't make that much difference, but I sure wish I had this info before I spent 20 minutes standing in the aisles at Hobby Lobby and A.C. Moore gawking at literally hundreds of different brushes.

Hope this helps somebody.

#2 6 years ago

I’m about to do the same, from research I’ve found that the pros seem to do most of their work with an airbrush. I have seen that a few use brushes for more detailed work and that the best method for this is a soft brush using acrylics with reducer added. This way brush marks are minimal.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-sure-which-brush-to-use-black-vs-gold-vs-white-taklon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.