(Topic ID: 193892)

Not something you see every day. Williams Darts!

By gdonovan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8269 (resized).JPG
DSCN8266 (resized).JPG
DSCN8267 (resized).JPG
DSCN8265 (resized).JPG
Williams_Darts_instruction_cards.pdf (PDF preview)
JungleCoinDoor (resized).jpg
DSCN8238 (resized).JPG
641f1 (resized).jpg
DSCN8236 (resized).JPG
image-A4 (resized).jpg
odin_darts (resized).jpg
DSCN8231 (resized).JPG
JC2 (resized).jpg
JC1 (resized).jpg
jockey club 3 (resized).jpg
DSCN8175 (resized).JPG
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I never thought I'd see one of these cabinets in person, let alone own one. Been hunting for a Williams wood rail and end up with this instead!

Home owned since the late 60's at least with two wiring diagrams, actually plays well! I need to fix the bells and we will go from there.

I will scan in the instruction cards and forward to our resident card guru of course.

Gary

2017-07-20 14.07.12 (resized).jpg2017-07-20 14.07.12 (resized).jpg
2017-07-20 14.07.25 (resized).jpg2017-07-20 14.07.25 (resized).jpg
2017-07-20 14.08.45 (resized).jpg2017-07-20 14.08.45 (resized).jpg
2017-07-20 14.09.58 (resized).jpg2017-07-20 14.09.58 (resized).jpg
2017-07-20 14.10.04 (resized).jpg2017-07-20 14.10.04 (resized).jpg
2017-07-20 14.11.02 (resized).jpg2017-07-20 14.11.02 (resized).jpg
2017-07-20 14.11.08 (resized).jpg2017-07-20 14.11.08 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Darts may be the most common of the styling of the 60s cab games, but that still doesn't make it that common. I picked up one a year ago and went thru it top to bottom including regluing all the inserts, touching up the playfield and installing a very nice Shay repro backglass.

As I now have it closest to the door of my garage, I make it a ritual to play it several times while BBQing and it never gets old.

darts (resized).jpgdarts (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

They did make "Darts" in a woodrail cabinet as well. Never have seen one.

#4 6 years ago

I always thought it was cool that this "space age" design still retains the wood rail top arch. Love the mod cabs.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Love the mod cabs.

May be the most solid built pinball cabinet ever. I'm not seeing any weaknesses like I have on others.

#6 6 years ago
#7 6 years ago

It looks like the same camera I've got.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

May be the most solid built pinball cabinet ever. I'm not seeing any weaknesses like I have on others.

3/4" plywood bottom. Built like a tank. Sometimes I crawl under my machines and use my back to maneuver them into place. The bottom panel always flexes. Never a problem with the mod cabs.

#9 6 years ago

Very cool find and extra special to have the schematics to go with it!

I've got one too, and it's going nowhere. Classic Steve Kordek layout and the "styling of the 60's" cabinet give it a unique nudge wobble. The cabinet is heavy, it's a PITA to take the legs off and probably why they discontinued it. A perfect shot up the left or right side will give you a target/pop/target/pop/target sequence that is like hitting a jackpot. Jungle is another great game that came in that cabinet.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It looks like the same camera I've got.

Upon further review, yes, it's the same one. You can tell by the upside down left flipper (it's a right flipper used on the left side).

#11 6 years ago

What's going on with the set of flippers below and perpendicular to the main flippers?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

What's going on with the set of flippers below and perpendicular to the main flippers?

They're not flippers. They are fixed, and being used as outlane guides. Several games use these. Gottlieb "Universe" comes to mind.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

They are fixed, and being used as outlane guides.

They are preferably being used as bumpers to bounce the ball back up into play. But it doesn't always play out that way.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Upon further review, yes, it's the same one. You can tell by the upside down left flipper (it's a right flipper used on the left side).

Yes it is the same machine.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They are preferably being used as bumpers to bounce the ball back up into play. But it doesn't always play out that way.

No it does not, have to see how the game plays with fresh elastics, cleaning and waxing and a good tune up and the bells working. I had a spare 5" bell assembly I hooked up with jumper wires last night and the Mrs. played a few games, made the game a bit more lively.

The gobble hole cracks me up for some reason.

Were rapidly getting to the point where we have room for a fixed number of games and figuring out what we like and what we do not. Going to start paring down the collection soon as we have overflow into the garage, already decided the two SS (Ice Fever and Big Guns) we have.. are not making the cut and I'd rather have EM in their places.

The Mrs. and I really only like EM though there maybe a Walking Dead in our future as both of us found that really, really fun at Pintastic.

Keepers for sure are Domino, Ding Dong, Heat Wave, Moon Shot, Hi-Flyer (my wife loves this one, I find it a little boring and can roll over the score like no ones business but happy wife..) She says we have to keep Night Rider too which is ok as it is fun and we are short of 4 player pins. Williams Hockey is another keeper but the example we have is so worn and prone to breaking down it might have to be retired and find a replacement. Backglass is shot, playfield worn, cab weathered.. awesome player though. Anyone have a nice example for sale?

On the fence is Touchdown which I have to repaint over the winter, fun but were not playing it as much I noticed! and Ship Ahoy.

Stuff in the que for game testing/repair- Bus Stop, Spirit of '76, Grand Tour (if the playfield ever comes back from being cleared) Orbit, Full House, Star Action, Big Ben and Darts of course. Bus Stop looks like a keeper but its in the shop and not at 100% yet. Orbit more fun than Spirit of '76 but has a persistent issue I'm still beating on when I have free time. Full House is actually a 100% but the Mrs. does not like it one bit which is too bad as I like the funky cabinet design and its in real nice shape. Getting those 9's are tougher than it looks!

As you might have already guessed I love the challenge of getting them working and my wife loves playing them so we make a good team. I enjoy playing as well but the creative process is more fun I think.

Gary

#16 6 years ago

Put it on coin play...It'll make the gobble hole shot a little more rewarding. Feels great to get all the targets lit and win 3 replays!

#17 6 years ago

You know me.. can't leave enough alone.

Played a game or two and then started picking at things. Fixed the game over and match unit not functioning. Changed a few bulbs. Cleaned one of the stepper units and lubed so the scoring stopped being erratic.. lubed the other stepper unit. Scanned in the cards.

Gary

darts_1 (resized).jpgdarts_1 (resized).jpg

darts_2 (resized).jpgdarts_2 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

Added "Jockey Club" to linked games as it had these cards in with the Darts. Anyone have a game missing some really nice cards?

jockey club 1 (resized).jpgjockey club 1 (resized).jpg

jockey club 2 (resized).jpgjockey club 2 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Added "Jockey Club" to linked games as it had these cards in with the Darts. Anyone have a game missing some really nice cards?

Keep them. You may find the game!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Keep them. You may find the game!

Doubtful, rather move them along to someone looking for a nice set.

#21 6 years ago

I saw that on CL, congrats for picking up a fun machine!

#22 6 years ago

Thanks for posting the score card images. I had one rough original on my game. I just banged out some recomposed repros. I use a font called "Intrepid" which is very close to the original lettering style.

IMG_20170721_164326_002 (resized).jpgIMG_20170721_164326_002 (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Thanks for posting the score card images. I had one rough original on my game. I just banged out some recomposed repros. I use a font called "Intrepid" which is very close to the original lettering style.

I would not mind mailing you one original for your game

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I would not mind mailing you one original for your game

Thanks so much, but it's really not necessary.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

No it does not, have to see how the game plays with fresh elastics, cleaning and waxing and a good tune up and the bells working. I had a spare 5" bell assembly I hooked up with jumper wires last night and the Mrs. played a few games, made the game a bit more lively.
The gobble hole cracks me up for some reason.
Were rapidly getting to the point where we have room for a fixed number of games and figuring out what we like and what we do not. Going to start paring down the collection soon as we have overflow into the garage, already decided the two SS (Ice Fever and Big Guns) we have.. are not making the cut and I'd rather have EM in their places.
The Mrs. and I really only like EM though there maybe a Walking Dead in our future as both of us found that really, really fun at Pintastic.
Keepers for sure are Domino, Ding Dong, Heat Wave, Moon Shot, Hi-Flyer (my wife loves this one, I find it a little boring and can roll over the score like no ones business but happy wife..) She says we have to keep Night Rider too which is ok as it is fun and we are short of 4 player pins. Williams Hockey is another keeper but the example we have is so worn and prone to breaking down it might have to be retired and find a replacement. Backglass is shot, playfield worn, cab weathered.. awesome player though. Anyone have a nice example for sale?
On the fence is Touchdown which I have to repaint over the winter, fun but were not playing it as much I noticed! and Ship Ahoy.
Stuff in the que for game testing/repair- Bus Stop, Spirit of '76, Grand Tour (if the playfield ever comes back from being cleared) Orbit, Full House, Star Action, Big Ben and Darts of course. Bus Stop looks like a keeper but its in the shop and not at 100% yet. Orbit more fun than Spirit of '76 but has a persistent issue I'm still beating on when I have free time. Full House is actually a 100% but the Mrs. does not like it one bit which is too bad as I like the funky cabinet design and its in real nice shape. Getting those 9's are tougher than it looks!
As you might have already guessed I love the challenge of getting them working and my wife loves playing them so we make a good team. I enjoy playing as well but the creative process is more fun I think.
Gary

Any chance you're going to sell your Ice Fever?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from phillyfan64:

Any chance you're going to sell your Ice Fever?

I have a friend interested already, sorry.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have a friend interested already, sorry.

Bummer for me, great for him. Thanks anyway.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Doubtful, rather move them along to someone looking for a nice set.

PM sent

#29 6 years ago

When it's time to BBQ, it's time to have a beer or two or three and play some Darts.

This really is one of the better pinball games from the early 60s I have come across. Built like a tank and this beast is powerful too.

DSCN5479 (resized).JPGDSCN5479 (resized).JPG

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

When it's time to BBQ, it's time to have a beer or two or three and play some Darts.
This really is one of the better pinball games from the early 60s I have come across. Built like a tank and this beast is powerful too.

Last night while the Mrs. was practicing on the newly arrived space odyssey I had a few minutes between turns to rebuild the Darts bell units. The machine sounds lovely! Much better sounding bells than what Williams was using in the late 60's.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You're utilizing the handy drink tray too! Is that grill lit?

#32 6 years ago

For anyone else that didn't notice, check out the cool legs on this thing! Never seen that before.

#33 6 years ago

After work stripped the playfield, buffed it out, waxed, polished the plastics and installed new elastics.

What a delightful game, doubled my previous best score!

DSCN8172 (resized).JPGDSCN8172 (resized).JPG

DSCN8173 (resized).JPGDSCN8173 (resized).JPG

DSCN8174 (resized).JPGDSCN8174 (resized).JPG

DSCN8175 (resized).JPGDSCN8175 (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Is that grill lit?

Food wouldn't very well cook if it wasn't. And tasty it all was.

#35 6 years ago

Found 2 more Jockey Club cards, uploaded scans to game section of Pinside as well.

jockey club 3 (resized).jpgjockey club 3 (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

A big shout out to gdonovan for graciously mailing me his extra Jockey Club cards for my game. Alway nice to add that touch of originality. It's a great forum when there are so many Pinsiders willing to help one another out. Thank you!

JC1 (resized).jpgJC1 (resized).jpg

JC2 (resized).jpgJC2 (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago

Took some time out on my over endeavors to install the correct flippers on Darts. Of course that turned into tuning up the ball loader and plunger so they worked smoothly while I was there. Screwed down the playfield and put everything back together.

All I have to do now is seal the back glass, give the cabinet a good cleaning and replace the missing aluminum on the shelf.

DSCN8231 (resized).JPGDSCN8231 (resized).JPG

#38 6 years ago

Great photo.

#39 6 years ago

I have a Bobo which has the same cab style as your Darts.love the funky design and it's a tough game to win on.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Question for you O-din as I'm coming to a close on my work here- I assumed for some reason that aluminum in front of the coin door had been removed/vandalized but now I'm not so sure. Looking at yours I see an odd cigarette holder that I'd wager matches the pattern on my machine.

Does yours have paint or aluminum there? There is no evidence of nails on mine holding down a sheet of aluminum but someone could have filled the holes and painted the shelf which makes no sense as you can see where the cigarette holder was painted around.

Picture one is from Williams flyer (which shows 2 woodrail style holders) Picture two is mine, picture three from a different machine off the IPBD and the forth is yours.

odin_darts (resized).jpgodin_darts (resized).jpg

image-A4 (resized).jpgimage-A4 (resized).jpg

DSCN8236 (resized).JPGDSCN8236 (resized).JPG

641f1 (resized).jpg641f1 (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago

Pulled the back glass, very gently cleaned it, touched up a few blue and purple areas and then applied three heavy coats of triple thick. Replaced the "always on" bulbs behind the backglass with frosted LED's. Scrubbed down the cabinet. Removed the duct tape remnants off the back door and surrounding areas and installed a new lock. Cleaned the contacts on the scoring steeper (millions lights would flicker at times) cleaned all the remaining light bulbs behind the back glass.

Played a few games and hit a new high score, 6,700,000 points.

DSCN8238 (resized).JPGDSCN8238 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Question for you O-din as I'm coming to a close on my work here- I assumed for some reason that aluminum in front of the coin door had been removed/vandalized but now I'm not so sure. Looking at yours I see an odd cigarette holder that I'd wager matches the pattern on my machine.

I have two shelf games and the both have aluminum there. As far as butt holders they are different and look like the two you have shown pics of.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have two shelf games and the both have aluminum there. As far as butt holders they are different and look like the two you have shown pics of.

Any chance you can fire off a few pics in your spare time please?

#44 6 years ago

They look exactly like the two you posted. One has a smooth aluminum and the other is ribbed. I'm thinking there were variations from game to game. Or patchwork repairs along the way.

#45 6 years ago

Here's a pic of my old Jungle.

JungleCoinDoor (resized).jpgJungleCoinDoor (resized).jpg

#46 6 years ago

That's what Magic Clock looks like except missing the bottle of Jack.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's what Magic Clock looks like except missing the bottle of Jack.

The butt holder on your Darts looks like it would match the pattern on my shelf. No holes for aluminum sheet though.

#48 6 years ago

Thanks for scanning the instruction cards!
I'll add them to my database.
I stumbled by accident on this posting and downloaded all the cards.
I hope more people will scan their rare cards and send them to me.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Thanks for scanning the instruction cards!
I'll add them to my database.
I stumbled by accident on this posting and downloaded all the cards.
I hope more people will scan their rare cards and send them to me.
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

I'm surprised Peter you had not noticed, I had not e-mailed you as I usually do since you are very fast to catch them most of the time.

Glad to be of service again.

1 week later
#50 6 years ago

One of these Darts has come up for sale on Craigs List in Kansas City. I thought maybe one of you might be interested.

kansascity.craigslist.org link

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-something-you-see-every-day-willaims-darts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.