Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by poppapin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How long between pin purchases?”

• 1 day 4 votes
      4%
    • 1 week 2 votes
      2%
    • 1 month 3 votes
      3%
    • 3-6 months 20 votes
      20%
    • 6-12 months 21 votes
      21%
    • 12+ months 41 votes
      41%
    • Never gonna buy another pin! (maybe) 9 votes
      9%

(100 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
    GoodFellasPinball (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

This week I'm buying the final 2 pins on my wish list.

I told my wife that I'm not buying another pin for at least a year (not that she really cares, she loves pinball.)

Have you ever said you were not going to buy another pin for a certain period of time?

For how long .. and did you keep that promise?

#2 1 year ago

Yes , I have said that many a time not buying and then next game arrives.

It's in our nature to do so....

#3 1 year ago

I have three pins now. I've filled my space and I feel content with what I have. The value being offered these days is so poor that I can't see myself buying anything else for the foreseeable future.

#4 1 year ago

Yes. I just got a NIB Rush Premium a few months ago. At that price, I am definitely waiting until next year before considering purchase of another pin.

I guess if a pin I really wanted, just happened to show up, and was in a condition and price that was just a huge bargain, I might revisit that position. But that's a pretty low-likelihood event. I'm pretty sure I'm good 'til next year.

Frankly, as it is, with prices the way they are, maybe I'll never find another pin I want to buy. I've been out of the community for almost 20 years; the other six pins I own were purchased in the mid- to late-90's. Going through sticker shock getting back into things. When even an "inexpensive" pin runs $3-5K, and the ones I'm most likely to want more in the $6-10K range for good condition late 80's/mid-90's models, gotta start wondering, do I really need more than seven?

#5 1 year ago

Whenever I utter the words, honey I’m done buying pins for a while…I get one the very next day. Odd how that works out.

#6 1 year ago

My basement if full and so is the garage. That did not stop me from buying a game on E-bay and having it shipped.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from rod90:

My basement if full and so is the garage. That did not stop me from buying a game on E-bay and having it shipped.

You either have a very small house or you need to update your collection?

#8 1 year ago

I think when you mean it is when you don't say it.

Saying it is like admitting you want to, but you shouldn't. That rarely lasts.

I didn't have the largest collection but at my peak I had 11 games at once. Now I have 3. I never really set out to do X or stop Y, it was just time for things to be that way.

#9 1 year ago

Just last month I said to the wife, it's time I down size don't want to leave all these game for you to deal with. Then I listed 6 games sold 4. But between that I purchased a AIQ Pro. Oh ya also pick-up a Godzilla Pro tomorrow. I'm trying.

#10 1 year ago

Not buying any more. Rush LE was the last one about 10 months ago. I'm just going to enjoy what I have. With 33 on location, others can enjoy them and I'll stay busy keeping them running.

#11 1 year ago

Rick and Morty broke me. Had to buy it, my grail theme pin. Then I was at an arcade and seen a DP which I have passed on playing a few times before including in vegas at the museum. Played it and purchased one the same week. Im not a huge comic fan of DP but the pin blew my mind. Had the most satisfying shot I have ever shot in pinball. Then GZ comes out. I told myself im not pulling the trigger and jury said "THAT WAS A LIE" took delivery recently. Say your done but the addiction is real man. If your reading this your a crack head for pinball also. Dont fight it.

#12 1 year ago

since my gameroom is full again. I'm done buying until one of the ones on my wishlist for the past 10 years, finally becomes available in the right condition for the right price.

#13 1 year ago

Good luck with that.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from crazypinballguy:

This week I'm buying the final 2 pins on my wish list.
    I told my wife that I'm not buying another pin for at least a year (not that she really cares, she loves pinball.)
    Have you ever said you were not going to buy another pin for a certain period of time?
    For how long .. and did you keep that promise?

After a 20 yr hiatus I bought a sinbad 5 yrs ago, only pin I wanted I told my wife. 35 pins later,,,,still saying only 1 more I want to try

#15 1 year ago

I bought 4 pinballs 20+ years ago and have just gotten back into collecting and of course the prices are MUCH higher now. But on the other hand, I have many years of "catching up" to do with good machines I've missed.

My preference would be to buy whenever the game I want turns up at a great price and a reasonable driving distance. I think my wife is more in the "one every few years" camp. We're working on it.

Honestly, I really only have a few backlog machines I feel I want in my collection, and then it would me mostly any really good new stuff that came out (which probably won't exceed one every 2 years), or possibly setting aside one slot for machines I will buy, play, and trade periodically.

#16 1 year ago

When I reach 8 pins, My capacity will be maxed. I won’t buy more without selling one first. We will see if I can do it, since I have never sold a pin in over 20 years.

#17 1 year ago

Unless there's a deal to be had on a few older titles I'm interested in, it's nib from here on out. The prices for used has gotten ridiculous. For an extra couple grand, I can have new.

#18 1 year ago

My last three pinball purchases were NIB: LOTR, WOZ, GZ.

2003, 2013, 2022.

So, if I’m still alive, let’s see whats available new in 2032.

#19 1 year ago

I have actually purchased 4 pinball machines this year. Prior to 2022 my last pinball machine purchase was in 2016. My game room is now full and I am very content with my collection. My 2022 purchases are listed below.

Willy Wonka LE
    The Munsters LE
    EHOH Premium
    Bond 007 LE

My wife even suggested that we get a Bond 007 LE. Pinball machine purchases always remind me of the following meme.

Gord

GoodFellasPinball (resized).jpgGoodFellasPinball (resized).jpg

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

When I reach 8 pins, My capacity will be maxed. I won’t buy more without selling one first. We will see if I can do it, since I have never sold a pin in over 20 years.

This the way

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

You either have a very small house or you need to update your collection?

My pinball collection is small at only 5. In addition to that, I have 16 arcade machines. It is more fun to have a diverse collection.

#22 1 year ago

The wife said “no more” at 8 machines until we build the RV garage to put them in. Ok, RV garage in name only since my HOA rules only allow garages as outbuildings. But now they can’t prevent me from turning the thing into a 2 bedroom guest house with a mud room, 1 1/2 baths and a pinball game room with enough space for about 15 to 20 machines, but with a freakishly large automatic front door the size of a 2 story building. Or so my neighbors who have built the same have told me.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from rod90:

My pinball collection is small at only 5. In addition to that, I have 16 arcade machines. It is more fun to have a diverse collection.

Yes, it nice having a diverse collection, but you NEED more pinball and LESS arcade games. Go ahead and tip that scale.

#24 1 year ago

I say it all the time, but haven’t kept that promise to myself once.

Pinball is just too much fun. Deals or opportunities come up and I can’t resist the excitement. I sell something to make room and funds. Rinse and repeat.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

Whenever I utter the words, honey I’m done buying pins for a while…I get one the very next day. Odd how that works out.

Finally acquired all the pins on my wish list and then a lot of 12 popped up to cap off my pin buying spree.

#26 1 year ago

I'm not going to ADD another game to my collection and have hard limited myself to 6 as that is the most I can really maintain and feel like I am enjoying. I have 2 bolted to the floor pins, STTNG and LOTR. I have Weird Al coming, and think that one will be staying as well (dream theme) with the opportunity to play different games on other modules. I'm switching over to doing more temporary trades. I'm trading out my Deadpool Pro on temporary trades and got to play a Spiderman VE a few months and now Iron Maiden a few months dong that. I'm probably going to do the same thing with Bad Cats with System 11s. We'll see how I'm feeling on Guns N Roses in a few months.

Overall, during the 4 years I've been in the hobby pinball has been "free". You could buy a game, play it, and sell it for what you had in it. I have gotten interested in early 80s SS this year and have lost my butt on a Nineball, Fathom, and am about to do the same on Flash Gordon. I made out well with my AFMRLE and R&M so it washes out in the end... but I can't sink money into pins and trade through them so quickly if I'm going to lose $500 or $1,000 every time I do it. If I never traded/sold/bought another pin again I'd be happy though. Viva variety!

Here is my spreadsheet for those that want to nerd out.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
    #27 1 year ago

Have room for one more pin, but based on market (feeling priced out, value for the $) and other competing interests/hobbies, that void isn't going to be filled for a while, if ever. I enjoy pinball, but don't eat, breathe, sleep it.

#28 1 year ago

The scene has changed so much since I started collecting. When games were cheap and plentiful on Craigslist, I couldn’t stop! NIB seemed soooo expensive at ~$4000, but I eventually went there. Around 2014, NIB hit $7500 with Star Trek LE. I was gonna stop there. But then I had to have the dream themes of Ghostbusters & Lebowski. However, after insertgate & the horrible gameplay, I cancelled GB. After Dutch’s lies about production, I got a refund on TBL…those two situations soured me on new pin buying. So, from 2014 to 2019, I didn’t buy any NIB. I bought a few used games (Hobbit & TNA). I bought Rick & Morty in 2019, which was delivered near the end of 2020. It wasn’t until recently that I went a little NIB crazy again. Godzilla LE, Rush LE, and Ultraman CE…and a used JP Prem.

I’m ready to go back to “never buying again” mode…not out of anger like before, but because I’m super happy with my new games and have barely scratched the surface of their depth. For each of the new games I got recently, I sold one. 1 in, 1 out. Right now I’m only selling to downsize. I’m more than happy with what I have, and honestly am mostly only playing the newer ones. I could prob sell 5 more and not lose any sleep. I have no desire to buy anymore, but could be tempted by a local deal like the old days.

#29 1 year ago

Honestly thought this was rhetorical....lol

#30 1 year ago

me ... I'm a buy and hold kinda guy ... last pin I bought was R&M
    Love my lineup and no room for any more ... so

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jkush18:

I'm never buying another pin......

#32 1 year ago

I'm worried about a looming recession.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-gonna-buy-another-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.