7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I've seen a lot of the top pins rated as deep rule set, but not a beginner's machine. (Shadow) What are some beginner-to-intermediate player pins from the top-half of the list?

#2 7 years ago

I would recommend throwing away the list per say. Play games and buy what you like. The problem with the list is a lot of people will only collect williams and bally. They down vote everything else, because it doesn't have the mystical b/w feel. Also new games shoot straight to the top, it seems to take a few years before they fall into a spot and actually stay there.

You also need to answer who you are getting the machine for. Is it for you? Is it for your family? Is it for when friends come over?

If it is for friends I would avoid BSD, Tommy, Shadow, IM, and STTNG off the top of my head. They have short ball times and it is tough to get very far for a beginner.

If it is for you then I probably would say just avoid STTNG and BSD unless you are decent at repairing machines. BSD has the myst multiball setup that is a pain to fix when it goes out of whack. STTNG being a super pin has a lot to fail and can be difficult to keep running.

I would also suggest that you start getting machines with the same hardware, it makes diagnosing easier since you can swap boards, and also simplifies parts to keep on hand.

For DE: System 3
    JP (guests love the trex eating the ball)
    GNR
    BF (Technically a sega but still DE system 3 hardware also do not get if you are not good at repair, the large display takes more maintance)
    MSF (same as BF)

Sega: Whitestar
    Goldeneye (very cool magnet ball save)
    Starship Troopers

Stern: Whitestar Modified
    TSPP
    RBION
    LOTR
    Sopranos

Stern: Sam
    WPT (Ugly, but very different and fun)
    FGY
    POTC
    BBH (wierd theme, ugly artwork, but fun)

Gottlieb: System 3
    Stargate
    Super Mario Bros
    NOES (really simple game, but fun, cheap and cool looking)

#3 7 years ago

The whole notion that a game is not a beginners game is lost on me. Difficult games will just make you a better player, buy a shallow game and you'll just bore quickly.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

The whole notion that a game is not a beginners game is lost on me. Difficult games will just make you a better player, buy a shallow game and you'll just bore quickly.

I agree. I bought my first pin (LOTR) a year ago and I had little to no pinball skill/experience. In hindsight it has turned out to be a great decision as I love the game, have improved as a player, and have yet to grow tired of it because it is ALWAYS a challenge.

I say go out and play some pins, find one you like, and buy it. You will only get better as a player so even if it is challenging at first you'll eventually find yourself progressing deeper in the game, but not finding yourself bored with it either.

However, I would heed Dung's advice and steer clear of the more tempermental machines out there like STTNG and BSD for your first pin.

Happy hunting!

#5 7 years ago

I think some tough ones will put off new players. My first DMD game was Tommy, that thing has black holes fitted near the outlanes. Any time the ball goes near the slingshots it's terrifying - it put me off the game and eventually I sold it. A shame because I liked the rules, layout, music and art.

#6 7 years ago

I would agree that it is wise to avoid games with "demon out-lanes" like BSD and LOTR but besides that almost anything goes. It you are a beginner just alter the game settings, by this I mean check the software difficulty settings and you will find you can adjust ball savers, extra balls and the number of balls etc. You can also move the out-lane posts on many games to make it easier or harder.
    Don't make it too easy though or you will kill the game. Pinball should be a challenge.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

My first DMD game was Tommy, that thing has black holes fitted near the outlanes. Any time the ball goes near the slingshots it's terrifying ...

Ain't that the truth! I call them "death slings".

#8 7 years ago

they are death slings, but at least you get to hear the music before you die.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I would recommend throwing away the list per say. Play games and buy what you like.

I agree there are some pins pretty low on the list that are just as fun if not funner than some of the top IMO. Play as many as you can and go in without preconceptions and make your own list. That said, I am glad to have the rankings to see what the majority of Pinsiders think are the best overall.

I don't think a deep rule set really discourages the casual pinball player. Some pins pretty harsh on beginners seem to be TZ & BSD. Some more approachable pins for beginners are HS2, WH20, CP, TOTAN, Congo, JM, FH,RBION.

#10 7 years ago

CP is a horrible pin in a small lineup. It is easy, and beginners like the toys, but it is very repetitive. Totan is pretty but has a lacklustre ruleset.

Funhouse has a simple ruleset, but its execution is excellent. I would compare it to taf in that the game is simple, but it has a lot of replay value.

#11 7 years ago

I've heard this so many times (The Shadow specifically) but in all honesty that has not been my experience. When I've had groups of people over to play of all ages and skill levels they seem to gravitate to it. In fact it was the only pin that had a line waiting to play it in my 6 pin line-up. I don't think newer players have great expectations of doing well so they are not put off by the difficulty or depth. The wow factor and the ability to achieve minor goals was enough to keep them interested.

I was reluctant to get The Shadow because I thought my wife would get discouraged by the game but she loves the challenge and gameplay. As others have said, get what YOU really like and spend the time to tweek to game to your preference.

Enjoy the journey!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

For DE: System 3
    JP (guests love the trex eating the ball)
    GNR
    BF (Technically a sega but still DE system 3 hardware also do not get if you are not good at repair, the large display takes more maintance)
    MSF (same as BF)

I've heard SW and Checkpoint are good beginner games as well.

#13 7 years ago

Thanks for all the great responses, I'm not exactly a beginner, but family members are.

#14 7 years ago

HS2 is a great beginner's game with lastability. The rules are simple and it's easy to get to Red Line Mania, but it's still a great game when you just want to play pinball and not have to think too much. The sound track and supercharger are the best!

FT is another one that the casual pinball players at my house enjoy.

#15 7 years ago

Good-to-intermediate? Not sure what you mean by that.

There are a lot of games that are good for all skill levels. Scared Stiff has lots of fun callouts that appeal to beginners and can be set up easy. Or, the software, outlane and playfield angle can be tweaked to make it a lot tougher. Not BSD tough, but quite a bit harder.

Addams Family has a really wide difficulty level. I have played some where I can consistently score 200M+ but others were cracking 50M is a challenge.

#16 7 years ago

SW and Checkpoint are eh.

Checkpoint has a really simple ruleset like all the small de dmd's. It plays more like a system 11, but with a dmd.

SW is worth money because of the theme. No one has ever managed to make a really good sw pin (hanakin, de, sega, or williams). On DE Sw there is way too much shoot up the middle.

#17 7 years ago

No way on HS2. My wife hates it and she probably in the category of what you are asking about. It is way to fast and kicks her ass leaving her pissed.
    For ones we've played she like LOTR, TOM, RBION (very fun for beginners with easy to start modes). She also like BDK and IM mostly because they are shiny.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

CP is a horrible pin in a small lineup

I agree wholeheartedly with that. It's fun but i wouldn't be able to tolerate it as my only pin. Never mind you'll have a hard time finding one, though...

#19 7 years ago

What's your budget? If you don't have one, i'd say MM, AFM or MB would be a great place to start!

#20 7 years ago

It does not matter, just let them smack the ball around and they will get hooked from there. You all have you own opionions, just like any new player.

My point is that you may think one pin is right as a "starter" but each person playing will have a different opinion. There is no right answer for this one other than just get whatever you can find at a price you can afford. Swap as necessary.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

Good-to-intermediate? Not sure what you mean by that.

Ha Ha, I meant beginner to intermediate!

#22 7 years ago

OMG! I only had to go to the Pinball Abbreviation Definitions about 100 times! (I gotta study!)

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

OMG! I only had to go to the Pinball Abbreviation Definitions about 100 times! (I gotta study!)

+1 That's what I did when I first joined Pinside.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I can hold my cursor over the letters in question and ot shows the name. Does yours do that?

#25 7 years ago

lol...now I gotta look up OT !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 38.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 30.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 0.35
    $ 19.95
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside