(Topic ID: 103448)

Not another post on Pinball Dolly / Lift Cart?

By 4Max

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NextoPin
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61xEEREnOHL._SL1500_.jpg
    51MCRciQLNL._SL1500_.jpg
    Pinball Dolly 005.JPG
    Pinball Dolly 006.JPG
    Pinball Dolly 004.JPG
    image.jpg
    trol4.jpg
    trol1-896.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm afraid so!

I did a bit of searching but previous posts were mainly about lower cost options; skates, modified carts, etc and actually I'm interested in the forums views on the pinball-specific carts that seem to be anywhere between $300 and $450.

I assume these are good for EM's are SS (I am mainly EM. but do have one SS - sorry )

So thoughts one:

Penguin - http://penguinamusement.com/details.php?pid=penguin_dolly
    gets decent reviews, but it out of stock (and has been for some time).

Then, are the two on ebay any good?

ebay.com link: New Pinball Dolly Lift Cart

ebay.com link: Pinball Machine Dolly Lift Cart NEW DESIGN LIFTS 2 HIGHER

Or there is this one thats more expensive ($449)

http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/pinballdolly.html

Welcome the members' thoughts on these sort of carts - I know they are more expensive but keen to get something that lasts and easy to move pins around with minimum effort

Thanks!

Danny

#2 9 years ago

I use this >>>> http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326249_200326249?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Automotive-_-Automotive%20Lifts-_-148721&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=148721&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=148721&gclid=CMiziZ395sACFVQV7AodM3wAMQ. The original intent was not for pinball but for auto/motorcycle work,add a wooden crate i built and it works perfectly. Btw i only paid $60 @ pep boys on sale not northern prices.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

Welcome the members' thoughts on these sort of carts

I bought one for a 100 bucks and thought this is great , then found out that the cart does not fit under the front of my pins I would buy a lift table from Harbor Freight and call it a day !

#4 9 years ago

Most of the ones you show seem to be based on the design of the old industry standard Wico Pin dolly. One thing I can mention about the old Wico dollies (which might have been McCune's issue) was that it came with a special height caster. If you replaced them with standard casters, the height was just a bit too high to fit under some games. It also seemed that at some point, Solid State games got a tad lower in the front. So, you had to tip the dolly up a bit to slide it under the front edge. You also had to be really careful pulling it out so as not to damage the fronts of your SS games. Hopefully, any contemporary re-designs of it take this all into account.

However, I used a lot of what appeared to be cheaper copy-cat dollies over the years moving games around at auctions and Shows and many of them do not have the same ease of lift (leverage to weight) as the old Wico Dollies did.

While I own a Wico dolly, I use Pinskate in my home to move games out of the lineup to disassemble them. They are so much lighter and easier to store. But they are certainly not a good choice for bringing an assembled game a long way over an unsmooth floor.

#5 9 years ago

I own a penguin dolly which is fine and own all EM's. I think I paid $450.00 total which included shipping. The only problem is that on some pins it is 2" to low on the lift so I have to use wood slats to get the lift I need.

The one listed in the ebay link seems to be the polished model that addressed this problem so that would be my first pick for a new lift dolly.

ebay.com link: Pinball Machine Dolly Lift Cart NEW DESIGN LIFTS 2 HIGHER

If I had a chance to buy this one I would have, but it was not out yet.

Ken

#6 9 years ago

Buy four three wheeled castors for about $35 if you have a hard floor.if carpet Magic Sliders

#7 9 years ago

I've been using a "used" Wico original dolly for several years and have been real happy with it. I see used ones come up for sale quite often. You should ask to make sure the shock is good. Not that you couldn't replace the shock - Clay suggested you use a certain GM strut to replace the shock in the cart.

#8 9 years ago

I use two of the Penguin carts and one of the original Wico modded with a Gabriel Red Ryder shock, same as the shock that came in the Penguin. I like them. They let me lift and/or drop any game, including WPC widebodies, to the ground or from the ground without assistance from anyone else.

There can be some issues where it is close to almost being too short (almost) for 31" leg EM games and sometimes you have to tip it to get it under a late model game but those issues are minor.

The biggest issue you will have is finding one of either of them.

Good luck in your search.

Mike O.

#9 9 years ago

This unit sucks....

ebay.com link: New Pinball Dolly Lift Cart

I bought it after I bought 1 just like it. This one has a square push down bar. I bought 1 with a round push down bar and loved it so much I bought a second 1 and order this one. They look the same but they are not. This one is rough to push up and the 1st one I bought just goes up so easy. However, haven't seen the 1st I ever bought anywhere again.

#10 9 years ago

Another method if you can modify it involves a borrowed grocery cart.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I bought one for a 100 bucks and thought this is great , then found out that the cart does not fit under the front of my pins I would buy a lift table from Harbor Freight and call it a day !

Is it this one by chance? I've been looking for one similar to move around pins in my basement. Price drops to $120 with coupon code "54708713".

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730-10041.html

Thanks!

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Is it this one by chance? I've been looking for one similar to move around pins in my basement. Price drops to $120 with coupon code "54708713".
    http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-60730-10041.html
    Thanks!

I have this one and it works very well. I used 3" gate hinges to hinge the handle.

#13 9 years ago

Aside from the machines the purchase of a trolley jack is the most important purchase I have made in terms of being able to move & unload machines single handed. I believe this trolley jack bought in Australia for $190 is fairly similar to the Harbor Freight item.

trol1-896.jpgtrol1-896.jpg

I subsequently modified the jack for ease of mobility.

trol4.jpgtrol4.jpg

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks!

That's it; if you get it do one of these mods:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table

#15 9 years ago

I too looked at penguin although when I went to purchase they said they were out and had NO idea when they would have more. Harbor freight is where I went and have had nothing but GOOD luck and would recommend the larger one. I feel the heavy base gives you more weight on the bottom and your not as top heavy. True cart is heavy but safety and not having a pin tip over on you is important. The larger one is very easy to modify and get the handle bar to lay back. If you have questions pm me.
    Magicchiz

#16 9 years ago

The cheap way is to buy one at harbor freight and modify the handle. I waited and found a new penguin dolly locally for 200. I like a dolly over skates because its nice sometimes to lift the pin up off the floor.

#17 9 years ago

A good lift table smokes the Wico cart all day !

#18 9 years ago

Need a table that goes down low, I got this table just remove the handle completely works OK would be better with a modification to bend the handle but it works ok without. This has a foot pedal to raise and lower so it's better than some with hand operated release in case you remove the handle.

Goes very low so setting up a new pin is easy, the one in the OP from ebay might be good for moving pins but might not be east to get a new pin up off the floor.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365546_200365546
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#19 9 years ago

Harbor Freight cart works great for me. Here's a few pics of my modified cart. The 2x4's on table act like forklift forks lifting entire cabinet without any problems. Handle was easy mod also.Pinball Dolly 004.JPGPinball Dolly 004.JPGPinball Dolly 006.JPGPinball Dolly 006.JPGPinball Dolly 005.JPGPinball Dolly 005.JPG

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Harbor Freight cart works great for me. Here's a few pics of my modified cart. The 2x4's on table act like forklift forks lifting entire cabinet without any problems. Handle was easy mod also.

Nice looking mods! easy and effective

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Harbor Freight cart works great for me. Here's a few pics of my modified cart. The 2x4's on table act like forklift forks lifting entire cabinet without any problems. Handle was easy mod also.

Pinball Dolly 004.JPG 138 KB

Pinball Dolly 006.JPG 162 KB

Pinball Dolly 005.JPG 155 KB

I just picked up a pin dolly (not sure of the make), and was a little disappointed to find that it didn't get the rear legs of the pin off the ground. I was thinking about adding 2x4 to the top of the cart, and after seeing your example I'm excited to give it a shot.

What hardware did you use to adhere the wood to the cart?

#22 9 years ago

How about battery powered stair climbing appliance dolly? Beginning of next year I may be moving. I would like to attempt to move 10 pins with just my wife and myself. Will rent a truck with a lift, but I was thinking of a stair climbing dolly. How about these?

Wesco Industrial Products 230055 StairKing Battery Powered Stair Climbing Appliance Truck Steel Nose Extension Option, 850 Pound Capacity, 28" Width x 4" Height x 12" Depth

51MCRciQLNL._SL1500_.jpg51MCRciQLNL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wesco-Industrial-230055-StairKing-Appliance/dp/B000KL589W/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_3

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from BeaglePuss:

I just picked up a pin dolly (not sure of the make), and was a little disappointed to find that it didn't get the rear legs of the pin off the ground. I was thinking about adding 2x4 to the top of the cart, and after seeing your example I'm excited to give it a shot.
    What hardware did you use to adhere the wood to the cart?

Fastened with nuts & bolts(not sure what size) I copied someone else who then covered 2x4's with plywood & carpet.
    Looks real nice but this was quick & effective!!
    Thanks for the kind comments.

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Thanks for the kind comments.

No sir, thank you! That is a tremendous help. I'll post pics when I get around to attacking the project.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

How about battery powered stair climbing appliance dolly? Beginning of next year I may be moving. I would like to attempt to move 10 pins with just my wife and myself. Will rent a truck with a lift, but I was thinking of a stair climbing dolly. How about these?
    Wesco Industrial Products 230055 StairKing Battery Powered Stair Climbing Appliance Truck Steel Nose Extension Option, 850 Pound Capacity, 28" Width x 4" Height x 12" Depth

amazon.com link »

51MCRciQLNL._SL1500_.jpg 29 KB

At first I thought the actual dolly was $143 from the link. I would take two, lol. This may be it here.

http://www.amazon.com/Wesco-230052-Aluminum-StairKing-Appliance/dp/B000Z52GF2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_6

For the price of the Wesco I would recommend checking out the Escalera Stair Climber. The price of an Escalera is right around $1600 - $1800 from what I remember. I've seen one in action moving pins and wow did it ever make the job easier as well as safer.

http://www.escalera.com/

Below is the contact information of an Escalera dealer that has posted on Pinside.

[email protected]
    Escalera Dealer

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

At first I thought the actual dolly was $143 from the link. I would take two, lol. This may be it here.

amazon.com link »

For the price of the Wesco I would recommend checking out the Escalera Stair Climber. The price of an Escalera is right around $1600 - $1800 from what I remember. I've seen one in action moving pins and wow did it ever make the job easier as well as safer.

http://www.escalera.com/

Below is the contact information of an Escalera dealer that has posted on Pinside.

[email protected]
    Escalera Dealer

Oh damn! that is just for the extension option lol. I thought the price was too good to be true. How about the standard stair climbers with the tank like belt system?

http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Appliance-Truck-Stair-Climber/dp/B006ZBBFRU/ref=sr_1_9

61xEEREnOHL._SL1500_.jpg61xEEREnOHL._SL1500_.jpg

I have the feeling I will just have to ask my friends to help. Just would like to handle it myself without begging for help. In fact, I may not even need a stair climber. I have no idea if the hous eI end up buying will have stairs. In regards to getting them out of my current house I will just build a ramp for the front door that has 3 steps. And maybe I can handle 10 pins and 1 arcade by myself.

#27 9 years ago

Oh damn! that is just for the extension option lol. I thought the price was too good to be true. How about the standard stair climbers with the tank like belt system?
    amazon.com link »

Why not just get it from HF for a lot cheaper?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-harborfreight-com-600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-65685-html.html

#28 9 years ago

Nice! Yeah I will see if the Hayward, CA location has one in stock. Nice find. About $100 less lol

#29 9 years ago

Nice! Yeah I will see if the Hayward, CA location has one in stock. Nice find. About $100 less lol

Here, take another 20% off

Code - 12260182

#30 9 years ago

woot... I would say $71.99 is a great deal for that Hand Truck Stair Climber. Not sure if they do online purchase and store pickup...

STANDARD GROUND $6.99 lol, well lets hope no one steals it from my front door. But, it will be a large box so not very easy to run away with.

Even after tax, this is 50% less than the piece of crap one I ordered a while ago that had inflated tires. Which is a no go for heavy loads.

#31 9 years ago

Most seem to opt for the Escalera for games:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/escalera-stairclimbing-hand-truck-what-size

#32 9 years ago

hawkmoon says,get a set of skates to move around the room,then go to harber freight and buy that lift dolly for 149.99and thats it! I went through all the hassle as well! I HAVE 2 TABLES,A EARLY STERN.GALAXY,AND A DINER,WORKS WITH THEM ALL! PEACE,FROM REDDING CALIF,HAWKMOON

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

hawkmoon says,get a set of skates to move around the room,then go to harber freight and buy that lift dolly for 149.99and thats it! I went through all the hassle as well! I HAVE 2 TABLES,A EARLY STERN.GALAXY,AND A DINER,WORKS WITH THEM ALL! PEACE,FROM REDDING CALIF,HAWKMOON

When I need to move a pin within the room. Since I have wood floors I just use felt slider cups.

#34 9 years ago

woot... I would say $71.99 is a great deal for that Hand Truck Stair Climber. Not sure if they do online purchase and store pickup...

STANDARD GROUND $6.99 lol, well lets hope no one steals it from my front door. But, it will be a large box so not very easy to run away with.

Even after tax, this is 50% less than the piece of crap one I ordered a while ago that had inflated tires. Which is a no go for heavy loads.

You can often rent the stair climbing hand trucks from local equipment companies...usually about $40/day around here. If doing steps, I would suggest it.

#35 9 years ago

No shortage of options!

Looks like the harbor freight has most votes, and hopefully the handle "mod" is pretty easy. I think thats the way I'll go.

Thank you to everyone, as always, for all the useful advice

Danny

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from 4Max:

No shortage of options!
    Looks like the harbor freight has most votes, and hopefully the handle "mod" is pretty easy.

HF a good buy for sure. I have all the stuff to do the mods but never got around to it and it works just fine depending on your floor. Since I have carpet & sliders I just use it to set games up, and then push them around pretty easily.

#37 9 years ago

I second the sliders. They also make stick on felt sliders for hardwood floors, not sure you would want them on there when playing, but you could stick them to the bottom of some plastic cups from the dollar store and put them under the adjusters when you want to move the pin around the room.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001WAK5X4/

#38 9 years ago

You can always go the route of the PB lifter
    http://www.pinballlifter.com

3 weeks later
    #39 9 years ago

What did you end up going with?

#40 9 years ago

Does anyone have experience with the Aluminum Jack with Wheels and PB Lifter available on the pinballlifter.com website?

http://www.pinballlifter.com/index.php/aluminum-jack-with-wheels-and-lifter/alum-2

#41 9 years ago

I am not sure what the advantage of this lifter is over the pinball trolley lifters mentioned earlier which seem to be around half the price Russell.

#42 9 years ago

My friend has a pin lifter, One of the advantages is you can take the machine from standing upright to laying down, not everyone would need it, but if you are someone who does it would be worth it.

He moved his metallica from the box, up some stairs into the house with a ramp, through the house hallways and doorways standing upright then laid it down to put the legs on and done, by himself.

I have an old hand truck, some cardboard and a ratchet strap.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-another-post-on-pinball-dolly-lift-cart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.