• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Greetings all. I'm new to the forum and to pinball ownership. I just picked up a 1972 Williams Fan-Tas-Tic, grabbed the manuals etc. of IPDB, etc. Looking through those I realized "I don't know squat".

The problem I am having is that none of the player score #3 digits are rotating. Facing the back glass, where there are 5 digits - going 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - with 1 being a 'fixed' zero, the #3 doesn't turn at all, in any of the player slots. Otherwise all scoring seems to work as expected.

Help?

#2 6 years ago

Check your 100 pt. relay for cleanliness and proper contact.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out where that is...

FWIW, I'm fairly 'handy', and have done extensive wiring and electronics installation in the past. I just don't want to FUBAR this thing, it's beautiful.

#4 6 years ago

Probably in the backbox. Take it slow, but it's fairly hard to really mess up an EM machine unless you really work at it.

#5 6 years ago

Once again, thank you!

I'll poke around in there shortly and if need be, post up some pictures.

#6 6 years ago

There's a good chance that @curriedog is right, but a novice EM owner should diagnose the problem before adjusting switches.
A better way to start is to temporarily jumper the relevant contacts on the 100 pt relay. If that advances the score reel then clean and adjust the contacts.
Also, here's a picture of the 100 pt relay with the relevant switch circled.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

Hi
great - ipdb has http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=820 the schematics and the manual --- http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/820/Williams_1972_Fan_Tas_Tic_Operator_Manual.pdf on page-6 (ori-5) are all coils listed - Mech. Panel is Cabinet, Insert is Backbox, Playfield is playfield, Cabinet is side-wall or back-wall of Cabinet, Front-Door is Coin-Door. Greetings Rolf

#8 6 years ago

Howard is correct; learn to use your schematic right off the bat, on a problem that is hopefully simple.

#9 6 years ago

Once again, thank you to all for your guidance on this. After staring at a wiring diagram nearly as old as me for about an hour trying to figure out which relay was where, I finally figured it out. Once I did, I was able to determine that one of the wires for that relay had come loose, but was still positioned in a way that made it look attached.

Once I found it, I test to ensure that was the root cause & voila! Working scoring. Now to get out my soldering iron...

3 weeks later
#10 6 years ago
Quoted from TanFasTic:

Once again, thank you to all for your guidance on this. After staring at a wiring diagram nearly as old as me for about an hour trying to figure out which relay was where, I finally figured it out. Once I did, I was able to determine that one of the wires for that relay had come loose, but was still positioned in a way that made it look attached.
Once I found it, I test to ensure that was the root cause & voila! Working scoring. Now to get out my soldering iron...

Well done!

I've got to finish getting my Fan-Tas-Tic going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-all-score-numbers-working-williams-1972-fan-tas-tic?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.