(Topic ID: 202644)

Not a real game but wish it was (on NYC Championships site)

By arkuz

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by arkuz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CoolGame (resized).png
    CharlesBellBook (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Was going crazy trying to identify the game in one of the images on the NYC Pinball Championships 2018 announcement web site. Could not find it on IPDB, finally resorted to Tin Eye and discovered it's not a real game, but a work of art by photorealist artist Charles Bell who specialized in amusement-type imagery. Wow, anyone know more (will order his book soon)?

CoolGame (resized).pngCoolGame (resized).png
    CharlesBellBook (resized).jpgCharlesBellBook (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I was trying to figure that out too! Cool!

#3 6 years ago

Some turd in Dallas has been trying to sell two prints of this guy's work for like 800 bucks a piece.

#4 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing his work. The book covers most of it apparently, and the Wikipedia article on him makes it sound like he did a series of pins, possibly near the end of his career (he passed away in 1995).

Will report back when I know more...

1 week later
    #5 6 years ago

Received the book yesterday, pretty nice, many nifty images, and has a decent amount of history/bio. Bell was doing mostly toys, dolls and gumball machines when he did his first pinball in 1976. He decided, like many of us, that pinball was his ultimate subject matter, and did a number of pinball-based oil paintings into the 90s. "Miami Beach" (pictured in my original post) is considered his masterpiece, and it's mostly an invented game but draws from existing machines. He would find a game with cool machinery, but unsatisfying art, and vice-versa, and in this case draw from what he liked but also invent what he considered ideal imagery. However, he also did close-up highlight "snapshots" of scenes/sections from existing games, some pictured in the book, particularly "Fireball", "Paragon", and "Oh Boy" -- an artist's eye for other good artists' work! The paintings all seem to be in private collections, but I would love to see a gallery show of Bell's oeuvre.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/not-a-real-game-but-wish-it-was-on-nyc-championships-site and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.