Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by kruzman
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180323_170400 (resized).jpg
    0FC033D5-19A8-4075-AEB2-C80B1D9AE1B3 (resized).jpeg
    F2AEE9BF-666A-4E2E-945B-9CF7075AFEFA (resized).jpeg
    0A6D2AB8-1E48-4C5F-AEC0-186EF75FC05B (resized).jpeg
    79A9A842-2EAE-40FB-8AF8-872CDD4458B9 (resized).jpeg
    171499_181017038601690_6482622_o (resized).jpg
    IMGA0303 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0301 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0326 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0324 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0297 (resized).JPG
    back (resized).jpg
    cureing (resized).jpg
    para4 (resized).jpg
    para3 (resized).jpg
    para2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bryan_kelly.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

I have been making under 20 g a year since doing this,

You do realize that works out to about $10 an hour and not that you'd want to, but you could flip burgers for more money than that.

I certainly don't want to tell you how to run your own business, Ron, but I feel the biggest mistake you make is not knowing when to say enough is enough. In economics, there's something called the law of diminishing returns. It's a phrase used to refer to a point at which the level of profits or benefits gained is less than the amount of money or energy invested. Knowing you, you'll spend 40 hours getting a playfield 95% perfect, then spend another 40 hours getting it the other 5%. Do you see the problem? I understand you want perfection, but sometimes it comes at too great a cost.

More than once I've seen you post that you'll spend all day sanding and buffing a cleared playfield. Eight hours or more to sand and buff a playfield? That's nuts. I've got a local guy that does mine. I'll make you a bet. My guy takes less than a couple hours to do my playfields. I'll let you do one and my guy will do one and I'll let everyone compare them and guess who did which one. I don't think they could tell.

Don't get me wrong, Ron, you do beautiful work. You just need to figure out a way to reduce the number of hours involved in each one. That, or double the cost.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

I would bet I could tell, I have been to Rons house, hung out with him and seen plenty of his work, and have seen a few other playfield restorers work and will say that Rons playfields are the best work I have seen, yea he is ocd on his finishwork but when someone pays good money for a clearcoat they want it perfect and I know if I was spending good money on a clearcoat that I would want someone like Ron that cares about his reputation, Ive herd him say many times that he doesnt want one bad feedback.

So you have no problem spending 8 or more hours sanding and buffing a playfield.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rock914:

Ron, take this bet, I’ll put $500 on it. Probably cheating as I have seen your work next to so many others.

LOL I have also seen Ron's work. I've installed many of his playfields in the restorations I've done. Ron does beautiful work.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

I’ve seen Ron’s work too. It’s fantastic stuff.
    I don’t think Bryan is trying to start a pissing match about who can buff a PF fastest /cheapest.
    I think What Bryan is try to say is Ron needs to figure out how to get paid better than 20k for what he does… Or one of these days Ron is going to say “F-it I don’t need this anymore”
    Ron’s work is phenomenal, The EBD he did for me is a work of art!

Thank you! That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to say.

#113 6 years ago

I also stand corrected. It takes my guy close to half a day to sand and buff.

#118 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

please dont change your process!
    Just charge more!!!!!!
    What you do it worth it!

Quoted from pintechev:

Charge more; you’re worth it!

I couldn't agree more!! Keep doing what you're doing, Ron.

1 month later
    #159 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Hey Ron, ,do you apply clear to the backs of all the playfield you do ? Does it help with bowing or is it just to make it easier to clean fingerprints and dirt off of ? Just wondering if I should do it to my Getaway playfield before I install it .

It certainly doesn't hurt, but it's not necessary.

1 month later
    #206 6 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

I also have a customer looking for a nos or used TAF pf that is in very nice condition (for resto) Condition is the key factor. I figured Bryan K or one of you guys may have one now or soon.

Hate to say it, but the last couple I've done, the old playfields weren't even worthy of hanging on the wall.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bryan_kelly.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nosnew-playfields-available-for-octnov?tu=bryan_kelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.