2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by kruzman
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 30 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180323_170400 (resized).jpg
    0FC033D5-19A8-4075-AEB2-C80B1D9AE1B3 (resized).jpeg
    F2AEE9BF-666A-4E2E-945B-9CF7075AFEFA (resized).jpeg
    0A6D2AB8-1E48-4C5F-AEC0-186EF75FC05B (resized).jpeg
    79A9A842-2EAE-40FB-8AF8-872CDD4458B9 (resized).jpeg
    171499_181017038601690_6482622_o (resized).jpg
    IMGA0303 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0301 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0326 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0324 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0297 (resized).JPG
    back (resized).jpg
    cureing (resized).jpg
    para4 (resized).jpg
    para3 (resized).jpg
    para2 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 1 year ago

Hey Ron, ,do you apply clear to the backs of all the playfield you do ? Does it help with bowing or is it just to make it easier to clean fingerprints and dirt off of ? Just wondering if I should do it to my Getaway playfield before I install it .

#153 1 year ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Hey Ron, ,do you apply clear to the backs of all the playfield you do ? Does it help with bowing or is it just to make it easier to clean fingerprints and dirt off of ? Just wondering if I should do it to my Getaway playfield before I install it .

You should do it cuz you know how black everything gets from the coil dust. I cleared the back of my Jackbot light board in the bb and man it looks tits. I didn't sand and buff though.

Before.
    IMGA0297 (resized).JPG

After.
    IMGA0324 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0326 (resized).JPG

#154 1 year ago

That looks awesome Paul! I never thought of doing that to the bg board. Very cool. Im thinking im going to do it.

#155 1 year ago

Got any good Sorcerer PFs laying around?

#156 1 year ago

You really should, you gotta sand and repaint the front anyway. I sanded both sides and edges first then I cleared the back with a few coats, sanding flat each coat then when the back was cured I painted the front. I just put a piece of painters tape over the holes on back and painted the front. Here's what I did to make sure I got the right sockets in the right holes. I put the tape on while the wires were on the board and numbered the tape and holes on the board first then I was able to remover the wires as one big piece. As I put the sockets back in I then cleaned the wires and sockets. For the long connection wires I cut all the wire ties off, cleaned the wires and put new wire ties on. It was a fun project. Also, I let each coat of clear dry for a week before I sanded, then after sanding I let that dry for 3 or 4 days before I sprayed another coat. It took a while.

IMGA0301 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0303 (resized).JPG

#157 1 year ago

Looks good Paul. But not to derail this thread, what do youy usually do Ron ?

#158 1 year ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Looks good Paul. But not to derail this thread, what do youy usually do Ron ?

Ron doesn't mind a few thread bumps. And besides, seeing Ron's GREAT clear jobs gave me the idea to do my light board.

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

It certainly doesn't hurt, but it's not necessary.

#160 1 year ago

Ok thanks. Think I will do it. I have a few cans of varathane diamond coat kicking around so I may as well.

#161 1 year ago

When doing a restore, I take the same attitude as paul, and also I dont restore games for a living so I dont mind going overboard. If I am going to restore something it will be to the best of my ability or I just wont do it. If I was doing it for a living or as a job like b kelly then I would only do it if I were getting paid or it made my job easier. Or I was diagnosed OCD, and just did it, so I could be happy. I was at a time convinced that if I didnt clear the back of the pf's, society would crumble, and the SPCA wouldn't be able to help cats and dogs.

I use polyurethane on the backs of the pf because automotive clear is an epoxy and it will dry fast and not soak in, so I use poly that I used to use when I restored the floors in historic homes. The main use to to keep out moisture to stop the grain from rising causing the paint to crack in the long run, but also, and very important it keeps it clean, and easy to wipe off. My hands get dirty and then you get the dirt on the back and it looks hack. I always compare restoring a game with restoring a hot rod which I have done several chevelles. when I worked in the engine compartment I would have the same situation, dirty finger prints to clean. Its just another thing that I put in to part of the job, even though I could get away without doing it. In fact when CPR prime's the back I dont clear them.

The clear on the front of the pf, will sometimes pull it to bend, and I often hope that the clear on the back with do the yin and yang (balance) thing, but one is so much stronger and fast drying, that it may just help a bit.

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ok thanks. Think I will do it. I have a few cans of varathane diamond coat kicking around so I may as well.

I wish I would have used that, I used Triple Thick. Yours will turn out much nicer then mine.

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

. when I worked in the engine compartment I would have the same situation, dirty finger prints to clean.

Speaking of which. How do ya like mine?

171499_181017038601690_6482622_o (resized).jpg

#164 1 year ago

That's pure sweetness Paul !! Looks awesome !

#165 1 year ago

wow that is an impressive motor. I am looking at the heads which appear to me anodized or powder coated. That doesn't look like Clem and Cedric's back yard project, that looks like a professionally built motor. Its dark but I don't see any burn marks from resting a smoke on the frame while using hands to work.

Back to the back of pf's, sometimes I will roll on a coat of poly from under saw horses, then I will spray triple thick for the second coat. The first coats really absorbs in, then the triple thick coat is for the ladies. (for looks and keeping dirt off)

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

You may never get that pf back!!!! ha!
    I used to think paragon was the nicest art. this is better then paragon then centaur

All three of those Paul Farris artworks were too good for their intended purpose of sitting in a bar somewhere getting abused by drunken players.

#167 1 year ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

All three of those Paul Farris artworks were too good for their intended purpose of sitting in a bar somewhere getting abused by drunken players.

I didnt put that together. I did get a chance to meet him years ago, and of course I was "fan boy" and I couldnt say anything that didn't sound like crazy stalker, or like chris farley when interviewing paul mcartney.

Bally way the first pin maker to put together an art dept with artist rather than having what I gather were ad agency's do the art. christensen,Faris, Feres, (which was the one I met, not paul Faris) Oconnor, just to name a few.

It was christensen that was partially responsible for getting me hooked on pinball, and Feres. I was all about pinball chicks and the 2 things they all have in common. In college I called pinball; Functional american pop art .

#168 1 year ago

I never thought to clear the back of my lamp boards before I sprayed the fronts with white semigloss.

#169 1 year ago

I like the idea of semigloss white, since the semigloss can be cleaned very easy with windex or even a magic eraser if necessary.
    Once you restore a game, and everything is cleaned or new, and you do the proper finish applications, it will never really get dirty again like it was after commercial use for years.
    If I didnt do pinball for a living and had a job that was 9 to 5 mon thru friday, I would be restoring games (and lovin the ladies) all weekend long!!!!
    ha
    and... if pigs could fly we would need heavy duty umbrellas

#170 1 year ago

Just wanted to give a positive shout to kruzman, I sent him an email asking about restoration on a Haunted House lower playfield, describing current condition and he immediately responded with a detailed no-bs reply. He didn't try to sell me on anything, just imparted knowledge and what he could do, his response was much appreciated. As is, I'm going to try and do the restore myself as my first attempt at a touchup/clear but if (when?) I screw it up he'll be getting the job of fixing it lol.

#171 1 year ago
    Quoted from bkbirge:

As is, I'm going to try and do the restore myself as my first attempt at a touchup/clear but if (when?) I screw it up he'll be getting the job of fixing it lol.

You better have Ron give you a price to restore your playfield after you work on it also, it might be more and cheaper to just send it to him now.

#172 1 year ago

first laugh of the day, at 6 pm. pretty sad.

#173 1 year ago

The world champ reproduction pf that was on the pf's available, is no longer available.

also the glue used in the playfield install kits, was on back order, but is now here . So I will be shipping out those who have been waiting. thank you for your patience.

As always thank you for your support.

#174 1 year ago

Also I finally got the cpr TAF pf's I ordered. I picked up a couple to do the same thing I did with the centaurs. Some have no clear and some are silvers. I will tighten up and fix any art work, or anything else that is a problem or issue. level, clear, seal the backs, and make them perfect, and sell.
    If you are thinking of restoring a TAF or getting one in the future and restoring, this is an opportunity to do a world class restoration. TAF is one of the few games that looks MUCH better than brand new. The clear ramp, and led lighting, sound update, and of course a beautiful cleared, leveled pf.
    I plan to put one of them in with the next set of pf's I get to. so I will start one within a month.

1 week later
    #175 1 year ago

Kruzman is the fucking man. 99% of the crazing gone, all the cracks around the inserts gone, the scratches in the clear all gone, man this is worth every penny. I wish my phone camera could show you all how shiny and pretty this is. It seriously looks like stain glass when the inserts are lit up

79A9A842-2EAE-40FB-8AF8-872CDD4458B9 (resized).jpeg

0A6D2AB8-1E48-4C5F-AEC0-186EF75FC05B (resized).jpeg

F2AEE9BF-666A-4E2E-945B-9CF7075AFEFA (resized).jpeg

0FC033D5-19A8-4075-AEB2-C80B1D9AE1B3 (resized).jpeg

#176 1 year ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Kruzman is the fucking man. 99% of the crazing gone, all the cracks around the inserts gone, the scratches in the clear all gone, man this is worth every penny. I wish my phone camera could show you all how shiny and pretty this is. It seriously looks like stain glass when the inserts are lit up

That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Worth every penny. Your gonna hate to run a ball on it.

#177 1 year ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Very smart on your part having Ron do your playfield as he does beyond expectations work as a Kruzman standard and is a great asset to the pin community

#178 1 year ago

Ron, post some pics of EBD before you ship

Thanks

#179 1 year ago

His work is second to nobody. I bought a creature he restored and it’s beautiful. Just waiting to find a good beat up game to put it in. By the way that Phantom looks phenomenal. Always loved that artwork.

#180 1 year ago

Not all pf's want to be fixed up. The phantom was fun to work on because of the style of art. So when the insert lines showed up in that blue fade, I could make the phantoms hat a little bigger to absorb the line. or those candle inserts right to each side of the phantom, since the art work is free hand its easy to repaint. I dont have to make the lines perfect, and the same thickness, ect.

Quoted from mmr61184:

His work is second to nobody. I bought a creature he restored and it’s beautiful. Just waiting to find a good beat up game to put it in. By the way that Phantom looks phenomenal. Always loved that artwork.

Its funny you bring up that creech, because they remind me of each other. All perfect pin games have half naked curvy chicks. Its what got me in to pinball when I was about 10. It may sound sexist, but I have talked to many women about this and sexuality is weird. chicks dont want to see half naked men on pins, because they are not fascinated with boobies and beautiful curves. (most. I am generalizing)

Quoted from dhard:

Very smart on your part having Ron do your playfield as he does beyond expectations work as a Kruzman standard and is a great asset to the pin community

My own mother has never uttered nicer words thank you. ( although my biological mother sucks)

Thanks again to all my supporters, now that the weather is nice, and I didnt float away like my neighbors in the low lands, I am back to working every day.

My CPR TAF pf's got here. I got some silvers, and some without any clear. so far I havent run in to any problems that are not the typical stuff that it is my job to fix. The screening is pretty good. the only thing I have run across is the greed inserts are a little off mark with the screen, but it is easily fixed in this case. I have had people ask my opinion of them before they buy them, and I will just say they seem totally good enough. They are a production pf, so in my opinion they need to be tweeked and cleared, but that is the case with all of them. When I am done with the group of pfs I am on now I am going to put one in the group, and it will be for sale. I wont know the price until I do one, and see what it takes to make it perfect.

#181 1 year ago

One more thing I forgot, actually 2.
    That phantom was drilled and dimpled by me, so I now have a template for that and 22 other titles. the other thing was I got the crazing out of the inserts by sanding down past the clear right to the insert plastic with a little 1 or 2 in sander. of course then I had to repaint around them, but those DE pf's do seem to have a craze crackle on the inserts. I have to be careful in places where there is artwork that is a huge pain in the butt to fix, so not all of it gets fixed, but a vast majority. if anyone with a nos pf is wondering.

#182 1 year ago

so the kzoo show is always the 4th weekend of april (week after taxes, which is the worst for me, being self employed)
    But I wanted to say to everybody that since fall I really sold off a lot of my nos stock while I was going thru some health issues, and I have only about 50 nos and repros. I like to have about 80.

so if you have a NOS or repro pf that you want to part with, and let it go to someone who is more than likely going to install it, bringing it to the pinball at the zoo show would be great. If you havent ever been to it, I have always thought it is one of the most laid back non BS shows going on, though I havent been to the texas or boston shows (and I really want to go). The prices on games at the kzoo how are always very low, and every year J dayhuff does a auction on saturday at noon. he charges NO FEES! which is crazy because I have been to auctions with a 20% buyers preimun plus 6% tax plus 4% for visa!!!!! This is cash only.

Kevin K does a great job making it a lot of fun, but I heard that someone else is running it now. I am so isolated in galesburg. we just got caller ID out here!

So sell me a nos or repro pf. I live 9 miles from the show and it is very easy to get to my shop which is at my compound, and if you want you can look thru my stock for trades, or you can inspect a pf before buying. I will also bring pf's to the show.
    If I have a job done that I have not shipped, I will bring it for display and put it in J dayhuffs booth, who has thousands of used and nos parts, or in Chris rocks booth, who has his light kits as well as some games for sale. so fat an earthshaker and a Hook I believe.

Lastly if you are considering working with me on a pf, and you want to see my work for the first time, I do free tours of my humble shop at the compound, if I have stuff that is almost done or done and has not been shipped you will be able to see the diffrence between my work and a stock nos, repro, and other peoples work. I can only do it in the morning before I leave for the show. Just throwin it out there.

I just thought of this but if you are doing a pf swap and you need pf parts that are not really game spiciffic, I have a lot at my shop from depopulating so many pfs over the years, plus dayhuff has a stash that is unbelievable

#183 1 year ago

it may have sounded like I soliciting donations of pf's, when I am looking to buy or trade, and always sell pf's.

I just got a Eldorado city of gold game from dave chard (dhard here on pinside) I have been looking for a nice version of this title since playing it at expo in 05 I think. so when I set it up next to a Dragon that was restored with new pf, glass and pasquel board, and a Monte carlo which is flawless and much better than new (restored by daves brother in law chris who will be at the patz selling a DE simpsons more than likely).
    So I think that until I can find a tenant for the one bedroom house I am going to use it to show my gottlieb collection. check out this collection
    Eldorado city of gold, restored/super shop job. stock pf with wear on one insert, but beauty, new BG and other parts
    Bone busters (recently shopped) (no topper dayhuff)
    dragon full restore about 15 years ago
    Monte carlo w topper
    Space race
    beauty queens
    college queens sample game
    Amazing spiderman soon to be fully restored (I just bought a second game, plus I have a nos pf)
    Title fight
    hot shots
    silver slugger
    Lights camera action
    car hop
    007 beautiful restored.

I would like to get a couple more sys 80's and a couple wedge heads. Actually there are a lot of sys 80's I want. The only sys 3 I think I want is barb wire.

I wanted to mention I am looking for a bad cats. My woman is a cat lady (she has a petting zoo in her house) and I think the way to turn her on to pinball is thru that game.

cheers, and as always thank you for the support thru the years

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from jboner1058:

Wow, just wow! RK's work is absolutely beautiful. My only regret is that my gameroom is full and I never had the chance to have RK restore a playfield for me.

Gord

#185 1 year ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Wow, just wow! RK's work is absolutely beautiful. My only regret is that my gameroom is full and I never had the chance to have RK restore a playfield for me.
    Gord

You really have to see in person pictures do no justice whatsoever

#186 1 year ago

I'm planning on having Ron reclear my new BOP pf. Seems like every time I look at it it gets worse and worse.

#187 1 year ago

Hey Ron was that the Eldorado City of of gold your buddy bought from me last summer? Mike

#188 1 year ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

Hey Ron was that the Eldorado City of of gold your buddy bought from me last summer? Mike

I can answer that, yes

#189 1 year ago
    Quoted from dhard:

I can answer that, yes

It sounded like mine. Glad to see he finally got an EDCOG.

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

It sounded like mine. Glad to see he finally got an EDCOG.

Ron sold me a machine a few years back and I've sold him a couple since and knew it was on his want list so I picked it up put some plays on it then got it out to him you did a real nice job on it as it plays great and with Ron's expertise he'll touch up that one little wear spot and make the thing near new

#191 1 year ago
    Quoted from psd4me:

Its funny that the eddorado city of gold came my way. I was super glad dave ended up with it because he will usually give me first dibs (which is nice) For some reason I like these games that 95% of balls are less than 60 sec. so much like em. I like the jungle music.

I not only got a good deal, I was able to buy it on land contract!!!!!!
    I have only broke a mil twice in about 75 games. Last night, I was trying to hit the last right corner upper target to clear my second set of those upper targets, on ball 2 no less, and nope. no deal. start over. Love that game

#192 1 year ago

Yea trying to get that last target up there can be a bitch sometimes. How's James Bond been playing?

#193 1 year ago

Hey Ron I just picked this playfield up for a good deal can you work me up an estimate for one of your clearcoat jobs?

20180323_170400 (resized).jpg

#194 1 year ago

Love that Superman art.

#195 1 year ago

what happen to the upper right corner. Ugh
    Lots of water damage.Some good parts though.
    -Mike

#196 1 year ago

Yeah, I was looking at that left shot that doubles back on itself and goes to... wtf?

#197 1 year ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

Yeah, I was looking at that left shot that doubles back on itself and goes to... wtf?

There's a subway under there. lol

#198 1 year ago

Oooohhh! thats a bummer. I still have to get around to restoring the one I have. If it was my world that would be a big time collectible game. I know it is to a couple people including me. The art is amazing. The worst part about that game is they had just built a new board set that they put in it, so most of the parts floating around from the games that are very inexpensive dont work in superman. In fact I have 2 power boards/transformers for atari games, and they look like a tube amplifier. Huge and heavy

#199 1 year ago

Cool looking art work never seen one before

#200 1 year ago

HI Ron. I've sent you a pm about a playfield I have. Looking for some help please. Thanks

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside