Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by kruzman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 33 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

imade7 (resized).jpg
imade4 (resized).jpg
imade6 (resized).jpg
imade2 (resized).jpg
bm9 (resized).jpg
bm3 (resized).jpg
bm7 (resized).jpg
bm6 (resized).jpg
crates (resized).jpg
20180803_151628 (resized).jpg
20180803_151618 (resized).jpg
20180803_151606 (resized).jpg
pinside7 (resized).jpg
pinside6 (resized).jpg
pinside4 (resized).jpg
pinside3 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 months ago

I forgot to mention, I am putting down the last 2 coats on a Indy jones restoration that is for sale. so it will be done in 3 weeks. Contact me if you are interested. It comes complete with the mini pf.
I dont have pics yet and wont for a couple days, and since after 3 weeks from the last 2 coats, I sand the whole thing down and wet block sand it to 3000 grit, then polish it for 6-9 hours (widebody) it will look quite different when done.

#52 4 months ago

I am looking for any NOS pf's. Not just stuff for me to clear for customers, but older stuff for my collection. I am a big fan of nos even though repros are best for some applications. (Bally playboy being one).

#53 4 months ago

Ron ? Still looking for Harlem Globe trotters,
CFTBL .Bought nos Chris Hutchins Gorgar it was expensive but should make a gorgeous game !
Chrome , leds, led displays,

#54 4 months ago

Second request for a H globetrotters today!!
you know I love gorgar. It was my first game when I was 14, in 1982, I paid 800 or 850 for it. I thought it would pay for its self in quarters. only my sister would pay.

Still looking for a used diner pf to make a dimple template. please contact me if you can sell or lend one. thank you

#55 4 months ago

Pretty sure I can get my hands on a NOS Globetrotters but the problem with it is that even though it's NOS it's got issues with planking and dryness after 40 years. The guy wants quite a bit of money for it as well, like last I knew it was in the $700 range. Someone like Ron would have to repaint EVERYTHING on the playfield and I mean everything. Of course nobody will want to touch it and even if they did you'd have more into it then it's ever going to be worth......LOL.
Probably best to keep an eye out for another option.

John

#56 4 months ago

Any chance you have a half-way decent DE batman hanging around?

#57 4 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Pretty sure I can get my hands on a NOS Globetrotters but the problem with it is that even though it's NOS it's got issues with planking and dryness after 40 years. The guy wants quite a bit of money for it as well, like last I knew it was in the $700 range. Someone like Ron would have to repaint EVERYTHING on the playfield and I mean everything. Of course nobody will want to touch it and even if they did you'd have more into it then it's ever going to be worth......LOL.
Probably best to keep an eye out for another option.
John

This brings up a good point in the reproduction VS nos debate.
When it comes to the Bally pf's that were made before 1980-81, 70% of the nos pf supply has planking (the wood grain has expanded through time from moisture and temp, and contracted, causing the paint to crack along the wood grain).
Many times the planking is in one area, usually the top or bottom that was on the basement of cement floor. almost all of the time it can be painted, but here is where the cost issue comes in.

No matter if I were using a nos or reproduction pf, I would have it recleared. Not just for looks as much as for protection. Also a level pf. The mircos lately have been like rollercoasters. If I am going to do all of that work, and fix and polish everything, I want the game to out live me (I am 50). So I have to pay for a clear coat on both options, but the nos is going to require a restorer to use little itty bitty paint brushes, and reglue the inserts (If one insert is loose, they will all come loose soon), level out the inserts, ect. On a nos pf of any age before aprox 1995, you have to go thru, after sanding, and repaint the hairline cracks around the inserts. On the harlem globetrotters we are talking about, even the nicest nos pf would need all of the insert's key lines painted. On reproductions, its very rare not to have a couple inserts with the hairline cracks. They dont have to be glued, but just painted. In my shop the older bally pf's from the era we are considering, they average an extra $200 in paint work. That's an average. Included in the paint work is the insert glue and level.

One more thing to always forget about with nos pf's is, many are not dimpled.

I am only talking about the difference in cost. In most cases you get what you pay for. I have 2 kinds of customers, and I like both. I have customers who want to make a beautiful game that they can play, but still looks brand new. Many times this is a DMD game, and I supe-up a reproduction pf for them, that looks amazing, plays lightning fast, and is done in a way to help the softer wood (than nos) last longer than it would stock. what I am talking about here is mostly ball dimples, and surface integrity. I also have to do a small amount of touch up on the majority of reproduction pf's.

The other kind of customer I have remind me of the guys who restore old harleys (like 1936-48). These guys really want original nos parts, and they see a repro as a blemish. They understand the cost of fixing up a 40-60 year old pf, and they also know the benefits. Its a totally different feeling to the game when it is complete. Many people can remember what the game looked like when they played it years back when it was new. They want that feel and look. I fall in to this category, until it is out of my price range. Right now I am thinking of the bike steve mcqueen rides in the great escape, and how bad it would be to restore that bike with reproduction parts. My girlfriends dad has an old war-time harley that he restored to be his daily driver with all original parts (fixed up). He even left it rusty, and clearcoated the patina and rust. Whats funny, is at shows, he always gets all of the awards and gawkers. Its the only bike that looks different than the others. I am trying to talk him in to the obnoxious LED lights just so he will stay alive. Anyway, That model of restoration is always interesting. I am told that clay who has an amazing collection, often will clear a pf just for the protection, and not do paint work on it. Let the rider be the decider.

Of course there is a middle ground also, like my friend whitey. he does amazing pin restorations. It seems that he uses the materials available, and the key to his restor work that stands out is not just my pf work (ha), but the overall workmanship of the whole restored game. The cab is painted the way it was originally. He somehow blends nos or repro pf's with skilled labor to come up with amazing finished product. the games are all tuned out for play. You can gawk, or you can play. both are equally pleasing, but the game is restored for show and play.

So there is no way that is better than the other. Its taste and budget, and utility, and expectation. Hopefully the 5 min you just wasted reading this will help you decide which direction is for you. Now lets get you a pf and get it fixed up and get it installed.

#58 4 months ago

Here is a couple pics of the IJ, before I sand it down and polish it

pinside2 (resized).jpgpinside3 (resized).jpgpinside4 (resized).jpgpinside6 (resized).jpgpinside7 (resized).jpg
#59 4 months ago
Quoted from gregh:

Any chance you have a half-way decent DE batman hanging around?

Whoa there..... Step back son, there's nothing to see here.

John

#60 4 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Whoa there..... Step back son, there's nothing to see here.
John

I know i know, but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

#61 4 months ago

The INDY JONES pf set is priced at 2750 (for both pf's). As always I will always entertain offers and partial trades.
I get over 100 serious request a year for this title, and it is hard to find, so you may not get another chance....

#62 3 months ago

There is a great post on the thread about my cleared pf install kit that I sell, with great pics.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kruzman-clear-install-kit-is-a-life-saver#post-4506021

Last 2 posts at the botom

If you are not aware I made a kit for installing a cleared pf, that is for removing the clear before you drill, and well as locking down the clear, and repairing any mistakes, plus a tool for measuring, screws, bits, and a template.

1 week later
#63 3 months ago

I just got in a sweet Batman 66 pf. drilled and dimpled. I think stern went digital, because the clip art on this is super tight. nothing like spiderman or elvis. price is 700. total collector item!

shiping anywhere in the US is 65 in cardboard. otherwise I can build a heavy duty wood shipping crate that holds 2 pf's. they last well over a dozen round trips and not only does it take 5 min to pack a pf, you dont have to buy insurance, I have not had to in 8 years because of them. food for thought.

#64 3 months ago

You might want to fix the black outline on the 2X insert before you buff it. The outline is shifted and looks bad.

Also the shooter lane looks like it has Cheeto dust stains that was just clearcoated over. It might just be a reflection that I am looking at so I just want to clarify.

#65 3 months ago

I just picked up my new ToM playfield that Ron touched up and cleared. It looks AMAZING!! Anyone that is planning on purchasing and installing a new pf should seriously consider sending it to Ron to have it cleared. It's well worth the money and time. Ron recently did an AFM and a NOS TAFG for me and his work is terrific. Thanks Ron.

20180803_151606 (resized).jpg20180803_151618 (resized).jpg20180803_151628 (resized).jpg
#66 3 months ago

Hi tommy dog. I am starting to get tired of you following my threads and posting your negative comments. I would like to have a talk with you if you are from kzoo and are my friend like you say. Why dont we have a cup of coffee (I will buy) and find out why you keep dogging my business? Maybe we can put an end to what is bothering you enough to keep the unhelpful criticism. If not then I will just assume you are a troll and enjoy messing with folks.

Regarding your comments, as usual, you are off the mark. You cant micro examine a pf by pics. Pics lie so much. They are great for a general idea, and that is about all.
AS for the shooter lane (you had comments similar to the last restoration similar), it is a used pf. I sand it, and when I sand the diamond plate and get thru the original clear, you get color changes. No cheetos. This is my lively hood, and I am getting tired of your comments, although I am flattered you follow my every post. As for the insert you commented on, that is the way the insert decals are printed, and I stuck with it. Its a restoration and I do my best.
Lastly the pics of the IJ are of it not yet sanded and polished. The pics are taken after the last coat,, but it will still be block sanded level, and polished to perfection.
If I dont hear from you, I will know you are just another coward troll who fancy's me. I am guessing this is why pinside charges for ads, That people cant comment on. Criticism is a part of my job, and I get it every day. You are not in any way involved with what I do, and I have no idea who you are, although you claim to be my friend. So Like I said, let me buy you a cup of coffee and figure out how I wronged you and apologize, so I can move on with my job and you cant stop following me. I just dont have time for the negative posts every time a pic comes up.

Looking forward to getting this solved. And hopefully we can keep this ongoing thread as an open place for pf info, as well as my pfs available.

#67 3 months ago

I agree with Ron. Ron is awesome and provides a great service to folks who need quality play field work. I check his threads often and follow his work as do many others. Therefore I would like to respectfully request that you stop being a butt head tommy-dog

#68 3 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I just got in a sweet Batman 66 pf. drilled and dimpled. I think stern went digital, because the clip art on this is super tight. nothing like spiderman or elvis. price is 700. total collector item!
shiping anywhere in the US is 65 in cardboard. otherwise I can build a heavy duty wood shipping crate that holds 2 pf's. they last well over a dozen round trips and not only does it take 5 min to pack a pf, you dont have to buy insurance, I have not had to in 8 years because of them. food for thought.

PM sent. How much does a crate add to the shipping cost and who is the shipper?

#69 3 months ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

PM sent. How much does a crate add to the shipping cost and who is the shipper?

Ok I build shipping crates for regular and wide pf's. when it comes to stuff like paragon or genie I have to build custom. I make them to hold 2 pf's, and I screw and glue them with poly urethane glue. The can handle 12 round trips from my compound to Denver 13 times and still going, though I replaced to top piece no charge.
The cool thing is since I developed this crate, not one pf have been even slightly damaged. they have to be packed right, and I include the packing to hold and protect everything. My simple but sturdy design comes from working 2 Christmas's at ups, and my experience as a finish carpenter.

Once you have one you can use it for storage until you need to send me or someone a pf. Many many NOS pf's are becoming irreplaceable , and YOU CAN NOT COUNT ON THE SHIPPERS INSURANCE I get screwed proper on that a long time ago shipping in well packed cardboard. they said it was not packed to standards. they said they have to do the packing. they also said a 2x4 ft chunk of plywood is never worth 1500 bucks. I didn't get a penny. this year I bought a pf from a nice guy on ebay who didn't wrap well. all corners smashed, and shooter lane corner broke at the top of the slit for the switch wire.

Every couple months I make a batch of crates. it takes me a weekend, so I make as many as I can in that time. usually 12. The price with the packing is 65 bucks. shipping one pf in the crate is 60 unless you are on the west coats then add 10 bucks.
shipping for 2 pf's is 75$ and ad if on the west coast. I ship thru FED EX, who I found to be the best , but by no means perfect.

Every time I take a crate to get shipped, they weigh and measure, and charge me say, 61 bucks. When I get my visa bill at the end of the month about 75% of the Fed Ex charges are between 10-15 dollars more than the receipt I signed. I haven't been able to find any pattern. always a different amount, and there are always a couple they didn't up charge me. I spent over 15 hors talking to many people, trying to resolve this, if anything just to find out how much to charge folks. They have never figured it out. I sign a contract/receipt based on their price, my weight, size, and it is not often that they charge my visa the agreed amount. Oh also, never have I had the cost go down. always up. Its still better than ups in my opinion.

Some people have me send them a crate and they then use it to ship me a job or a pf I bought from them.

I will ship pfs people buy from me in cardboard if that is all they want, but if I spent 40 hours on the clear not including the paint or repairs, I will not ship in anything but a wood crate. lastly if you want to make your own crate, I will send you the dimensions and general idea. I dont really make anything on them so I love it when folks who have a wood shop make their own.

so there is a very long answer to a great question. It is expensive, but once you get a pf arrive damaged, even if it is a replaceable repro. there is a great chance you will loose a bunch of money, BUT..... you will gain gray hair, and older chicks dig that.

1 week later
#70 3 months ago

I spent the weekend building shipping crates for clearcoated pf's. whenever I clear a pf and we ship it, we have to send in a crate. Either the customer can make one, or they can buy one from me that comes with all of the packing material. I make them really heavy duty to last many round trips. about a dozen have made more than 10 round trips across the country. The combination of polyurethane construction glue which is so much stronger than liquid nails, along with screws and staples, really hold them together. They hold 2 pf's or one, and I make regular and wide. I am raising the prics 5 dollars to 65 bucks today because of the materials cost. The packing cost almost as much as the wood. I use 1/4 and 1/2 inch foam board.
here is a pic of 3 days work. now I have to cut 20 some lids or tops

crates (resized).jpg
#71 3 months ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I spent the weekend building shipping crates for clearcoated pf's. whenever I clear a pf and we ship it, we have to send in a crate. Either the customer can make one, or they can buy one from me that comes with all of the packing material. I make them really heavy duty to last many round trips. about a dozen have made more than 10 round trips across the country. The combination of polyurethane construction glue which is so much stronger than liquid nails, along with screws and staples, really hold them together. They hold 2 pf's or one, and I make regular and wide. I am raising the prics 5 dollars to 65 bucks today because of the materials cost. The packing cost almost as much as the wood. I use 1/4 and 1/2 inch foam board.
here is a pic of 3 days work. now I have to cut 20 some lids or tops
[quoted image]

Just wow Ron! Top notch work.

#72 3 months ago

So I wanted to mention, since I like this thread to be open about pf's in general; that stern has really upped their pf game. I do work for a really big stern distributer, and he got me a couple pfs I wanted, batman 66 and iron maiden. Not only is the print sooooo much better than stuff like spiderman, iron man and lotr, the clear is as good as cpr and mirco. Sterns clear, though it is still pretty thin, used to be so thin, that they showed wear really fast even in home use.

so here s a couple pics to kind of show the quality. I have one more of each to sell they are 700 each

bm3 (resized).jpgbm6 (resized).jpgbm7 (resized).jpgbm9 (resized).jpgimade2 (resized).jpgimade4 (resized).jpgimade6 (resized).jpgimade7 (resized).jpg
#73 3 months ago

Hi Ron,
LOTR is one of the best quality pf I saw from Stern. If I remember well, LOTR LE playfield had a double layer of clear coat.
Anyway regular pf is very good imho.
Ron, still looking for nos TWD LE playfield for my favorite game.

#74 3 months ago

I found a walking dead, but I couldnt find a LE. I asked, and evidently all of the sterns LE pf's are few and far inbetween.

There is such a range of LOTR pf's depending on the batch. at one time I had a green, a gold, and a blue back ground pf's. It was great to see the huge diference between them. some were tight some were VERY loose. its hard to get "cut and paste graphics" to print well with a silk screen. especialy when they do over 13 colors!

#75 3 months ago

It looks like the batman 66 of no longer for sale.
as always thanks you to everyone who suports kruzman playfields.

also I like this to be used as an open pf fourm, so if you have anything concerning pf's, weather you are looking for a titles, or you have questions about them feel free. it brings me up to the top and makes it more fun. cheers

The most exciting stuff around here is I am done with the IJ resto and the nos spiderman (both for sale) but I am doing nos flash, voltan, and barracora for 2 customers. I have never done a voltan which is soo frickin cool. I think bally had a problem with christensen and always paired him up with crappy designed games. I am guessing. also have a nos ATM comming in for the clear process. I am slowing down a little so if you have been waiting to send a pf in, this may be the time.

Many people have me ship an empty crate to them with the packing materials inside, so they can ship me the pf to work on. It usually cost about 35 bucks to ship an empty cate. food for thought.

#76 86 days ago

has anyone seen what the comming repro titles are going to be in the next couple runs for mirco, cpr, and the guys in germany that did bride?
if you know, save me the time if looking it all up. Thanks, rk

#77 86 days ago

Mirco keeps saying Indiana Jones pinball Adventure is coming....when we dont know.

#78 86 days ago

Creature is next from Mirco I believe.
I'm waiting for firepower but apparantly the screens are not available to him.

So shameless plug if you don't have one Ron...looking for a Firepower and also Medusa playfield..anyone? Please shoot me a pm!

Thankyou

#79 86 days ago

I told Jakusu that he could use this thread to see if anyone has one of the pf's he is looking for since I dont have them.
So if you are looking for a pf. contact me first, and if I dont have it, You can post it here.

If anyone has a firepower, or medusa, or barracora, shoot him an email, and hook a brother up.

Hum IJ? I have heard that many times. I suppose if someone is gonna do it, he will

#80 86 days ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I would like to have a talk with you if you are from kzoo and are my friend like you say. Why dont we have a cup of coffee (I will buy)

Is there any way you could make a video of this meeting and put it up on Youtube?

I'd even lend you guys a GoPro, if that helps.

Pinside gold!

#81 85 days ago

first good laugh of the day. thanks vid

#82 85 days ago

hey Ron........do you have a funhouse playfield?

#83 83 days ago

I do have a funhouse pf. Its a nice IPB repro, but it has some paint work that has to be done before clearing and one customer has been waiting patiently for a couple months for me to get it in the cue which I am doing this week. The clear on it is a little goofy.
So I cant sell it as is, since most people dont have a spray booth, and are able to do the repaint. If the customer whoi has been interested in it passes or finds another first, it will be for sale.
Thats all I have on FH.
If you get a repro, and you want it cleared, feel free to contact me. I am clearing one right now that had a run in the clear that is 80% of the length of the pf. A customer had it shipped directly to me, and saved the money of shipping it again, but he didnt get a chance to see what a perfect, clear looks like, that was sprayed by a robot.

#84 83 days ago

I have been doing paint work in the studio all week. Its a totally different mindset, and I have to remember to chill. Sometimes it takes over an hour to match colors, and I just have to remember its all part of the job. I spent 2 full days on a TFTC that was just beat to heck, plus all of the inserts had cracks around them, and not always in the black, so it was a lot of work. Right now I am on a Creech where some of the screening smeared or the screens were clogged. Its toughest on the script. I think I still have one more week of painting. I wait until I have about a weeks work and then I do them all at once, that way I am in the artist mood. I still have to finish a seawitch repro (inserts) DESW, Medusa, IPB MM, One spot on the BM66, and hopefully finish a paragon that I have been working on for a long time. I am going to start painting a NOS flash, Barracora, and a voltan
Then back to clearing, sanding , polishing, dimpling, ect.
I also have to finish dimpling a diner and DESW

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside