Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 288 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fullsizeoutput_13d0d (resized).jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_13d10 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1498 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1499 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1502 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1501 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1503 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1504 (resized).JPG
    cent6 (resized).jpg
    cent5 (resized).jpg
    cent4 (resized).jpg
    cent2 (resized).jpg
    cent1 (resized).jpg
    cent18 (resized).jpg
    cent17 (resized).jpg
    cent16 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 6 years ago

They make really fine nozels to put on the end of the glue bottle. I have used them for years but they are over 50 cents each and they leak where they fit on the bottle, and they are easy to make a huge mistake. I have 20 years experience with using those dam needles, that same size, inter muscular, and they really hurt. My point is with very little practice you can run that needle with one hand, I even suck up the extra clear sometimes if I lay too much like in a t nut divot. The eyelet is big enough that you can see it clearly as to what way it is going to go.
    It is illegal in about half of the states to possess those needles without a script.

#152 6 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'm a rookie doing my first playfield. I'm sure the real pros would laugh at all the extra steps I'm taking. Just got off work

Seems like the right move - how horrible would it be to wreck a PF Ron just did!

#153 6 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

I got very few holes left to pre-drill (with Ron's dremmel bits) on my IJ but I will post pics of the how the glue is applied. It's actually pretty neat. Seals the clear for good. The dremmel bits make pre-drilling holes so easy! I really like how the dremmel bits never skip or "run" away from the hole. As long as you keep light pressure on the dremmel, you are fine. Needless to say, you must be VERY careful when handling a dremmel tool on or near your playfield. Always make sure you have plenty of slack on the cord while you are using your dremmel tool. I never power on the dremmel on top or near my playfield just to be on the safe side and avoid any "accidents". I'll post pics later

What speed did you have your Dremel at? Does speed make any difference?

#154 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What speed did you have your Dremel at? Does speed make any difference?

Slow speed. Pics coming up.

#155 6 years ago

Great call on getting IJ fixed up. Probably the #1 "game that will never be remade...", possibly second only to TZ

#156 6 years ago

Ok first pictures here. This is actually one of my last 6 holes Left. Clear removed with dremmel bit. Fast, easy and a perfect circle of clear removed. More pics coming...

IMG_2213 (resized).PNGIMG_2213 (resized).PNG

#157 6 years ago

Light pressure on the dremmel and let the bit do all the work

IMG_2215 (resized).PNGIMG_2215 (resized).PNG

#158 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Great call on getting IJ fixed up. Probably the #1 "game that will never be remade...", possibly second only to TZ

True!

#159 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Seems like the right move - how horrible would it be to wreck a PF Ron just did!

Tragic. I have a Paragon playfield here that Ron did for someone and they let it get singed by being too close to a fire and we'll....., there was no bringing it back except for a ceiling hanger.

John

#160 6 years ago

Note the above pics are just for removing the clear on top of the hole. That way your screw threads won't touch the clear and cause halos. Note the exposed clear. Now we will seal the clear completely with our awesome glue kit. Standy by, pics coming....

#161 6 years ago

Needle and piece of paper ready

IMG_2217 (resized).JPGIMG_2217 (resized).JPG

#162 6 years ago

Get a drop of glue started. Just to be on the safe side, use a piece of paper to catch the glue, you never know

IMG_2218 (resized).JPGIMG_2218 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2223 (resized).PNGIMG_2223 (resized).PNG

#163 6 years ago

Place needle near the exposed clear. Let the drop touch the area and watch it go around the circle

IMG_2227 (resized).PNGIMG_2227 (resized).PNG

#164 6 years ago

Now you have a perfectly sealed hole. Let dry for at least an hour before installing screws. I like to let them dry overnight and install the next day...just to be on the safe side

IMG_2222 (resized).PNGIMG_2222 (resized).PNG

#165 6 years ago

Pop bumper screw holes?

IMG_2224 (resized).JPGIMG_2224 (resized).JPG

#166 6 years ago

Sealed

IMG_2225 (resized).JPGIMG_2225 (resized).JPG

#167 6 years ago

And how do you clean the syringe?

#168 6 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

And how do you clean the syringe?

Acetone. I prefer using a fresh syringe to be honest with you. Just personal preference. I like to drill out several holes, seal them and come back the next day. I'm drilling out as I assemble the playfield. Not a pro so I'm taking my time.

#169 6 years ago

Btw do you guys think the pop nail screws should go a bit lower? I really don't want to over do it. Used an awesome dremmel bit to clean out the holes.

IMG_2207 (resized).PNGIMG_2207 (resized).PNG

IMG_2228 (resized).PNGIMG_2228 (resized).PNG

#170 6 years ago

The skirt will cover it anyway. It never comes in contact with the ball. I would leave it alone.

#171 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

The skirt will cover it anyway. It never comes in contact with the ball. I would leave it alone.

I will take your advise. Thanks

#172 6 years ago

Keep in mind, once you attach the pop bracket to the speaker screws, it will draw the heads down more as well.

#173 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

Keep in mind, once you attach the pop bracket to the speaker screws, it will draw the heads down more as well.

Yup, that's next

#174 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

What are speaker screws? Is that a thing, or are the actual speakers in that area?

George: how does the shooter lane look? I assume you haven't installed hardware there as yet(?)

#175 6 years ago

Thank you for those pics and the demonstration. also your nail/screws are perfect. dont draw them down more. I did a set once that was below the grade, and it will attract dirt in there.
    There are threads that go thru pf installation, which I have said before I am not a pro at. I define pro meaning do it for a living/have very much experience (years). I wanted the pics of the process using my 2 kits up because I cant do close up pics like that and use my hands at the same time, but I dont want this to be a pf instillation thread. The pf's on the first page are for sale, and I clear pf's. The kits are just to help customers, who like myself are not pros.
    As always I thank my supporters. rk

#176 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What are speaker screws? Is that a thing, or are the actual speakers in that area?
    George: how does the shooter lane look? I assume you haven't installed hardware there as yet(?)

I've installed some but not all. I'll post some pics after work

#177 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Some call them that. Also known as finned or twist shank screws.

Quoted from kruzman:

dont draw them down more.

That's what I was telling him. Don't go lower because it will draw down some when installing the bracket.

#178 6 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

Thank you for those pics and the demonstration. also your nail/screws are perfect. dont draw them down more. I did a set once that was below the grade, and it will attract dirt in there.
    There are threads that go thru pf installation, which I have said before I am not a pro at. I define pro meaning do it for a living/have very much experience (years). I wanted the pics of the process using my 2 kits up because I cant do close up pics like that and use my hands at the same time, but I dont want this to be a pf instillation thread. The pf's on the first page are for sale, and I clear pf's. The kits are just to help customers, who like myself are not pros.
    As always I thank my supporters. rk

My pleasure. Glad to contribute and help out. Hopefully I was able to calm some nerves down about the dremmel and glue kit! I had MANY questions when I bought the kit and Ron was nice enough to answer them all! Thanks Ron!

#179 6 years ago

ATTENTION: Here is some important INFO:
    I wanted to mention: Many people who have worked with me before, and have bought cpr pf's, know that they are going to have it clear by me and want to save 60 bucks by having cpr send them directly to me. That is not a problem at all, as long as you realize I have to let them cure here for a while. I sand off the clear as much as I can, but then they still need to sit. its you best interest.
    Kevin has no problem sending them here.
    I am not saying that all cpr pf's need to be recleared, I am not saying anything about cpr at all, except that you can save money if you want to do that.

#180 6 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

ATTENTION: Here is some important INFO:
    I wanted to mention: Many people who have worked with me before, and have bought cpr pf's, know that they are going to have it clear by me and want to save 60 bucks by having cpr send them directly to me. That is not a problem at all, as long as you realize I have to let them cure here for a while. I sand off the clear as much as I can, but then they still need to sit. its you best interest.
    Kevin has no problem sending them here.
    I am not saying that all cpr pf's need to be recleared, I am not saying anything about cpr at all, except that you can save money if you want to do that.

Based on the email I got from CPR today I would expect a lot of TAF playfields to be headed your way very soon.

#181 6 years ago

ummhum. but we are not suppose to speak of it. I dont know why.

#182 6 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

Ooooooooh you guys are in trouble!!

#183 6 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

Whoops guess I only skimmed it my bad

#184 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Whoops guess I only skimmed it my bad

I'm glad you did. Mine had went to spam.

#185 6 years ago

I just received an email from a customer who is almost done installing one of my FH pf;s, and it looks awesome. FH is one of the first games people started restoring, along with TAF back in like 06, when I was really getting in to it. A restored FH with my clear and new plastics and ramps is so beautiful. The one I remember the most was done by a guy in dearborne by a great guy named John..... he was good friends with Eric A who is also in dearborn. Crap he is passed away and I can never remember his last name, hopefully someone will remind me. My brain is shot. Anyway they did an amazing job on that game.

I realized I have been forgetting to remind people to use mylar under anywhere a ball drops on the pf. Like a wire form ball return, or a ramp with a hole that drops the ball.
    I sell lo tac mylar, that is thin, and basically invisible. It will last several years, and then when you are ready to do your shop job, you can pull it without tools. It is perfect for late model sterns, between pop bumpers, shooter lanes, and ball hole kick outs.

When I install it I custom cut it so that the edges are on top of black key lines. this makes it very hard to notice, also if I can make one side end under a plastic, i will use a bigger piece to do so. The price is 4 sheeets for 10$ I will sell 2 for $5, but you are better off having the stuff around. If you take your game to a show for free play which everyone should at some time, you can put this stuff everywhere. even around flipper buttons. My metallica premium has a big nail or ring scratch on one of the flipper areas.

I always feel uncomfortable when I am sending a customer an invoice and the bill gets larger and larger because I highly suggest these extra things, but I only sell what I think is super important, and is not available easily, or easy to find, or easy to describe. I used to describe to people a list of what they had to go out and get, including wax and polish, but the time and effort to describe everything and where to get it, seemed counterproductive. so what I do is add this stuff on the invoice, as things I highly recommend, and then tell them to just remove what they dont want, and make a note of the new math. If I were on the customer end I would rather get it all at once, and I would rather be sure I got the right stuff.

I had one customer who wouldnt but my diamond dremmil bits because of the price I imagine, so he bought his own. what he bought was diamond tipped drill bits for cement! and he wrecked the pf. dead serious. He sent me pics because he thought my clear was defective. It was not the clear come to find out.

#186 6 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

I had one customer who wouldnt but my diamond dremmil bits because of the price I imagine, so he bought his own. what he bought was diamond tipped drill bits for cement! and he wrecked the pf. dead serious. He sent me pics because he thought my clear was defective. It was not the clear come to find out.

You get what you pay for. Sometimes it's an unpleasant surprise if you don't listen to the experts.

I'm guessing whatever he saved wasn't worth it in the end.

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

You get what you pay for. Sometimes it's an unpleasant surprise if you don't listen to the experts.
    I'm guessing whatever he saved wasn't worth it in the end.

He probably saved $15

#188 6 years ago

The savings is not as bad as how bad he screwed up the pf. I used to use those bits that are super dull and made for use with a hammer drill at slow speed. the diamond is not for being sharp, because they are not at all, they are very dull, just VERY hard. wrecked it

#189 6 years ago

Diamond bits are for drilling concrete. Cement is one ingredient in concrete.

Just sayin.

#190 6 years ago

I dont have any more blown out pfs except one sea witch which is missing 50% of the paint. price is 70 bucks. Plus there is shipping.All of the used pfs I have, were bought to restore. So they are all nice pf's that are very restorable. they can be wall art until you fix them up but the cheapest is going to run around 200 up to 575 for a safecracker, or 850 for a IJ. I have afm and creech and other a titles for 250-350 but I dont have time to pull them all, clean them up, take pics load them up, research the prices. I all ready do that with the nos/repro pf's.
    There is a reason I dont like to sell non perfect pf's. here is what happened lately. I bought a really cool rare nos pf for a game I have wanted for about 8 years and never seen for sale. The week I bought it someone called on it. I sent the buyer 6 or 7 pics, and I said It needs work and clear I dont have time. I sell it for cost, since I just got it that week, when the buyer got it, and got estimates to get it fixed up and cleared. they were 900. Thats what I expected for a 47 years old 550 or 650 dollar pf. He did not. Plus he felt that you cant sink that much money in a game that only sells for what it sells for (before getting a cleared nos pf installed) Anyway the customer is not happy wants to return it, but now the pf dosent look the same as when it was shipped out. I dont know what happened to it, but I seriously doubt it had to do with shipping because I spent over an hour packing it. so with the cost of shipping and time involved,I dont want it back. the customer is going to keep the pf plus I will be sending him 200 dollars (when I get it). So this is my experience with selling non perfect pf's and selling at cost.After I offered 200 to make the whole thing dissappear, I didnt get a response for a month. Then I get a call that he will take the 200, which happened about the day I put up the post about how I have used pf's. Which brings us back to why I am posting this. The used pf's. I dont feel like the trouble of giving away money I dont have. He agreed to accept the money when I get the next check in.

By the way if this story is giving you ideas, dont. I am done fixing the repro pf makers flaws for free and I am done with refunds. People who dont trust me can buy them on ebay or at wallmart. Heck, there is a guy on ebay right now selling pf's he says I cleared. I asked ebay and him to take my name off. No suck luck.I have been doing this long enough to have built a customer base of trusting people. The reason I dont have the 200 for the pay off is the month of aug, I didnt get to do any paying jobs because the humidity caused a very minuscule defect in my clear on 6 pf's and instead of being like one of the companies who makes repros and saying thats the way it is suppose to be or it is a bronze, I re did them all. a month without pay, and I am still not done. so that is the root of the hissy fit her

I didnt write this to complain about the person who bought the pf I was referring to I was just using it as an example of why I dont have any interest or can I afford to mess around with anything that is not perfect. Since this post is very good in that it is helping a lot of people with installation, you may notice its been a while since I posted a title is no longer available, so I am going to use it for my hissy fit fourm today sorry.

as always I thank my supporters

#191 6 years ago

I don't blame Ron for being "hissy", it's a tough business and when your the best people want to knock you down from the #1 spot any way they can. I feel for Ron. Honestly I think at some point he's going to quit the playfield gig all together and find something else to do that he can actually make money on and where people don't expect so much for nothing. Him spending 50 hours on a playfield is not paying his bills by a long shot. All it will take is a few more sour deals like the one above and he will be out of the playfield business for good. Keep your chin up Ron, you've got my support.

John

#192 6 years ago
    Quoted from kruzman:

I dont have any more blown out pfs except one sea witch which is missing 50% of the paint. price is 70 bucks. Plus there is shipping.All of the used pfs I have, were bought to restore. So they are all nice pf's that are very restorable. they can be wall art until you fix them up but the cheapest is going to run around 200 up to 575 for a safecracker, or 850 for a IJ. I have afm and creech and other a titles for 250-350 but I dont have time to pull them all, clean them up, take pics load them up, research the prices. I all ready do that with the nos/repro pf's.
    There is a reason I dont like to sell non perfect pf's. here is what happened lately. I bought a really cool rare nos pf for a game I have wanted for about 8 years and never seen for sale. The week I bought it someone called on it. I sent the buyer 6 or 7 pics, and I said It needs work and clear I dont have time. I sell it for cost, since I just got it that week, when the buyer got it, and got estimates to get it fixed up and cleared. they were 900. Thats what I expected for a 47 years old 550 or 650 dollar pf. He did not. Plus he felt that you cant sink that much money in a game that only sells for what it sells for (before getting a cleared nos pf installed) Anyway the customer is not happy wants to return it, but now the pf dosent look the same as when it was shipped out. I dont know what happened to it, but I seriously doubt it had to do with shipping because I spent over an hour packing it. so with the cost of shipping and time involved,I dont want it back. the customer is going to keep the pf plus I will be sending him 200 dollars (when I get it). So this is my experience with selling non perfect pf's and selling at cost.After I offered 200 to make the whole thing dissappear, I didnt get a response for a month. Then I get a call that he will take the 200, which happened about the day I put up the post about how I have used pf's. Which brings us back to why I am posting this. The used pf's. I dont feel like the trouble of giving away money I dont have. He agreed to accept the money when I get the next check in.
    By the way if this story is giving you ideas, dont. I am done fixing the repro pf makers flaws for free and I am done with refunds. People who dont trust me can buy them on ebay or at wallmart. Heck, there is a guy on ebay right now selling pf's he says I cleared. I asked ebay and him to take my name off. No suck luck.I have been doing this long enough to have built a customer base of trusting people. The reason I dont have the 200 for the pay off is the month of aug, I didnt get to do any paying jobs because the humidity caused a very minuscule defect in my clear on 6 pf's and instead of being like one of the companies who makes repros and saying thats the way it is suppose to be or it is a bronze, I re did them all. a month without pay, and I am still not done. so that is the root of the hissy fit her
    I didnt write this to complain about the person who bought the pf I was referring to I was just using it as an example of why I dont have any interest or can I afford to mess around with anything that is not perfect. Since this post is very good in that it is helping a lot of people with installation, you may notice its been a while since I posted a title is no longer available, so I am going to use it for my hissy fit fourm today sorry.
    as always I thank my supporters

I've had Ron work on playfields before, and I pay him what he asks without even flinching. He's among the best in the business IMO, and it pisses me off when people screw him or try to lowball him after all the time he spends doing work. People think labor should be cheap or free...until it comes to THEM actually doing something.

Chin up, Ron...you've got more supporters than assho....er...detractors.

#193 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've had Ron work on playfields before, and I pay him what he asks without even flinching. He's among the best in the business IMO, and it pisses me off when people screw him or try to lowball him after all the time he spends doing work. People think labor should be cheap or free...until it comes to THEM actually doing something.
    Chin up, Ron...you've got more supporters than assho....er...detractors.

+ 1

#194 6 years ago

I think a lot of people don't understand what they are asking for when they get a PF fixed or cleared. If you just want a rush "good enough" job then ask Harry down the street to clear it. It's true the costs add up fast but you prob are only doing this really nice pf for the one game you just love. At least that's how I see it. Ok maybe 2 games you love

#195 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think a lot of people don't understand what they are asking for when they get a PF fixed or cleared. If you just want a rush "good enough" job then ask Harry down the street to clear it. It's true the costs add up fast but you prob are only doing this really nice pf for the one game you just love. At least that's how I see it. Ok maybe 2 games you love

That's very true. I'd never have one cleared and do a swap for a game I wasn't going to keep forever.

John

#196 6 years ago

I have been to Ron's compound and have seen the boxes he builds for his playfields and they are a work of art in itself, his playfield work is the best I have seen, far better than I could do, Ron when you sell used playfields you have to add (no returns) and (to restore this playfield for sale most likely it will cost more than the game itself).

#197 6 years ago
    Quoted from crlush:

I have been to Ron's compound and have seen the boxes he builds for his playfields and they are a work of art in itself, his playfield work is the best I have seen, far better than I could do, Ron when you sell used playfields you have to add (no returns) and (to restore this playfield for sale most likely it will cost more than the game itself).

Word. Best to be up front about that. Makes it even MORE worth it

#198 6 years ago

The k-man's work is phenomenal so i would get your playfield to him asap to get cleared as it would be a great x-mas gift to yourself and b4 he gets to annoyed with the bs-ers and goes on a hiatus

#199 6 years ago

Here is a very nice used afm. I have sanded it down, and I knocked down the high points like where screws were removed from. I prepped and fixed the ball hole damage with jb weld which I have found over the year as the only thing to use that wont pop off or damage. If you see some spots on the inserts they are low spots that need to be hand sanded. right now they are glossy because they are lower than grade. 2 thin coats and then sand will make it all level. This one is as easy as afm restorations get. price is 400 or best.
    Examine the pics and ask questions if interested. 90% of the pfs I buy they send me 4 pics, all the same pic from 6 ft away, and I cant even tell if it is dimpled or not. If you are new to the pf game, and people only show 1-3 pics, 99% chance you will get a big suprise. It still happens to me all of the time.

aug afm 1 (resized).jpgaug afm 1 (resized).jpg

aug afm 2 (resized).jpgaug afm 2 (resized).jpg

aug afm 3 (resized).jpgaug afm 3 (resized).jpg

aug afm 4 (resized).jpgaug afm 4 (resized).jpg

#200 6 years ago

couple more pics

aug afm 5 (resized).jpgaug afm 5 (resized).jpg

aug afm 6 (resized).jpgaug afm 6 (resized).jpg

aug afm 7 (resized).jpgaug afm 7 (resized).jpg

aug afm 8 (resized).jpgaug afm 8 (resized).jpg

aug afm 9 (resized).jpgaug afm 9 (resized).jpg

There are 288 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nosnew-playfields-available-as-of-june-5/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.