10648873_10152839676427375_7930715917124849634_o[1].jpg
rs2.jpg
rs1.jpeg
donald-duck-mad-3.gif
donald-duck-mad-1.gif
donald-duck-mad-2.jpeg
Star Trek.jpg
10639715_10152830662452375_3503805200732860171_n[1].jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

CoinOpWarehouse, a picker/dealer in Maryland, posted this on their FB. Two for sale, $1300. Amazing find. I think its so cool when stuff like this is unearthed. hoping someday I can find something like this in an old warehouse. (note: I have no interest in this, just thought the community would enjoy seeing it)

https://www.facebook.com/coinopwarehouse/photos/a.93337662374.84571.86670587374/10152830662452375/?type=1&theater

10639715_10152830662452375_3503805200732860171_n[1].jpg10639715_10152830662452375_3503805200732860171_n[1].jpg
#2 9 years ago

LOL, that's almost twice what I paid for my SI with a decent playfield.

Still wouldn't mind having it though.

#3 9 years ago

Posted a NOS wired Eight Ball PF earlier today too!

#4 9 years ago

OMG I just looked at his feed. It's a freakin' treasure trove of stuff he found. Everyone who follows him on FB has deep pockets and jumps all over'em

#5 9 years ago

They have picked up some amazing warehouse of parts recently, I saw some of their arcade things the other day and was floored. They had like 50 NOS Mario Bros or Donkey Kong glasses.

#6 9 years ago

Wow, they've certainly found a goldmine of NOS playfields and video game bezels.

#7 9 years ago

I've been trying to find a WMS Sys 3-7 test fixture for awhile to complete my set.. he posted 2 yesterday, I bought one. Deep pockets? Not really. Maybe in some cases. $1200 for a NOS wired playfield is a steal.

#8 9 years ago

If I had the dough I'd build a SI around one of those playfields.

#9 9 years ago

Don't forget that although those playfields are NOS, they always have cupped and sunken inserts.

So you can't just drop them in a cab and have it play like a new game.

You need to level and fill the inserts first, otherwise the wood quickly chips out along the edge of each insert and the cupping changes the trajectory of the ball.

Star Trek.jpgStar Trek.jpg
#10 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't forget that although those playfields are NOS, they always have cupped and sunken inserts.
You need to level and fill the inserts first, otherwise the wood quickly chips out along the edge of each insert and the cupping changes the trajectory of the ball.

Star Trek.jpg 70 KB

Really? I thought that was only just caused by the heat of the bulbs. They get cupped just while sitting in storage?

#11 9 years ago

depends on storage, could have been hot and slumped the plastic. face down could have bowed the inserts.
Although I have a poorly stored populated used SI field and the inserts are fine except one ghosted one.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Really? I thought that was only just caused by the heat of the bulbs. They get cupped just while sitting in storage?

Nope. They get cupped most likely by swelling of the wood or something. I have had a few NOS playfields with cupped inserts. Has nothing to do with temp.

Quoted from calvin12:

depends on storage, could have been hot and slumped the plastic. face down could have bowed the inserts.

No.

#13 9 years ago

i need 1 of these playfields.

anyone...
anyone...

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Nope. They get cupped most likely by swelling of the wood or something. I have had a few NOS playfields with cupped inserts. Has nothing to do with temp.

No.

yes

#15 9 years ago

I've got tons of NOS playfields with cupped inserts, all properly stored, no planking evident.

Most un-jeweled inserts over 3/4" in diameter cup because they are a crappy design, using crappy materials.

Once jeweled inserts became the norm, with their thicker faces, cupping was practically eliminated.

#16 9 years ago

He is asking $1500 for that Star Trek PF.....daaaauuuuum

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

I know, but it's populated; so that adds some value I think.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

If you think about it, that price is actually not too bad considering it's fully populated NOS. You just don't see those anymore. Ever.

Figure that bare playfield NOS would probably run 7 or 800. But add onto that the wiring, mechs, plastics, totally intact with zero hacks. Hell, even zero burned out bulbs

And you gotta tack on the "cool" factor to getting your hands on one of those....

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've got tons of NOS playfields with cupped inserts, all properly stored, no planking evident.
Most un-jeweled inserts over 3/4" in diameter cup because they are a crappy design, using crappy materials.
Once jeweled inserts became the norm, with their thicker faces, cupping was practically eliminated.

They probably cup mainly from good old gravity. Also, as wood ages (contracts), holes get bigger.

#20 9 years ago

I try to buy stuff from them as I live really close, but everything sells out within minutes (usually to the same people).

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

They probably cup mainly from good old gravity. Also, as wood ages (contracts), holes get bigger.

exactly, so if its store face down you can wind up with domes rather than cups, but show store them that way?

#22 9 years ago

I think I would store them on edge if was going to be long term. These fields ARE 30 years old...I hope we get around to our field swaps before THEN.

#23 9 years ago

i store mine in an anti-gravity chamber. no cupping.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Quoted from NJGecko:

If you think about it, that price is actually not too bad considering it's fully populated NOS. You just don't see those anymore. Ever.
Figure that bare playfield NOS would probably run 7 or 800. But add onto that the wiring, mechs, plastics, totally intact with zero hacks. Hell, even zero burned out bulbs
And you gotta tack on the "cool" factor to getting your hands on one of those....

I agree with you guys when you consider all of that.

#25 9 years ago

What a haul! I would love to have an original DK bezel instead of my Plexi and I need those coin mechs he has too.

#26 9 years ago

The beauty of a NOS wired field, even if it has to be restored...

You play your game as-is, until you drop the NOS restored playfield in, complete.

No waiting who knows how long til a restorer can be found who can restore your original playfield. You just carefully depopulate the NOS wired field, send it off, and then repopulate it.

Then, you just cut over all at once, still enjoying your game the entire time

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

exactly, so if its store face down you can wind up with domes rather than cups, but show store them that way?

You don't really see domes, but you see lots of cupping.

It's just cheap plastic and poor design.

Remember games would pay themselves off in a few months, and then get replaced after a few years.

They weren't designed to last 40.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You don't really see domes, but you see lots of cupping.
It's just cheap plastic and poor design.
Remember games would pay themselves off in a few months, and then get replaced after a few years.
They weren't designed to last 40.

of course you don't see domes, they were never left face down. if they had been you would. If those NOS ones were left face down they can be bowed rather than cupped. but in all likely hood they were on edge or face up.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i store mine in an anti-gravity chamber. no cupping.

Nice! Mine are in automated rotisseries, making one rotation per day.

#30 9 years ago

uhhhgggg...

I just can't say enough how sick to my stomach I am for missing out on buying any 1 of these 2 available Space Invaders NOS playfields. I went to sleep grumbling about it, and woke up feeling like Donald Duck looks

This is going to be one of those missed ops that will just haunt me for years.
...ever had one of those happen?

arrrggg

donald-duck-mad-1.gifdonald-duck-mad-1.gifdonald-duck-mad-2.jpegdonald-duck-mad-2.jpegdonald-duck-mad-3.gifdonald-duck-mad-3.gif

#31 9 years ago

As was stated, they cup even when stored vertically and at room temperature in low humidity. No lamps, no Gravity involved. The larger the insert, the greater the cupping.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

NOS wired does add value, yet that is still a lot for a Star Trek. Bally Star Trek is not an in demand Bally title by any classic Bally collector that I know. Someone might want it for the sake of completing a collection or if they are a Star Trek enthusiast, otherwise it is a forgettable table. I will say it is cool having NOS wired playfields, I have installed several of them. Never paid over $1000 for one, though.

Also, late '70s Bally playfield swaps are a piece of cake. Just not much going on under there.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

As was stated, they cup even when stored vertically and at room temperature in low humidity. No lamps, no Gravity involved. The larger the insert, the greater the cupping.

no gravity, wow how do you pull that off? even on edge they are generally leaning with the heavy bottom toward the ground.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

NOS wired does add value, yet that is still a lot for a Star Trek. Bally Star Trek is not an in demand Bally title by any classic Bally collector that I know. Someone might want it for the sake of completing a collection or if they are a Star Trek enthusiast, otherwise it is a forgettable table. I will say it is cool having NOS wired playfields, I have installed several of them. Never paid over $1000 for one, though.
Also, late '70s Bally playfield swaps are a piece of cake. Just not much going on under there.

I guess I was thinking more of the SI one at the beginning of the thread. That one was $1,300 IIRC. A better title and a cheaper price. Still cool as I have never seen a NOS wired playfield. I would pay a premium for a fully populated NOS playfield.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

of course you don't see domes, they were never left face down. if they had been you would. If those NOS ones were left face down they can be bowed rather than cupped. but in all likely hood they were on edge or face up.

NOS playfields are usually in boxes and there is no way to know if they are stacked face up or face down.

Anytime I've gone to pick through a warehouse pile, they are usually stacked flat on pallets.

In over 45 years of pin repair, I've never seen where the inserts are domed.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

NOS playfields are usually in boxes and there is no way to know if they are stacked face up or face down.
Anytime I've gone to pick through a warehouse pile, they are usually stacked flat on pallets.
In over 45 years of pin repair, I've never seen where the inserts are domed.

if wired its easy to tell in the crate. if unwired, and just the slab the face would be supported if face down by the box sothe inserts wouldnt be able to move. there is no support if face up, wired or not, as there is a hole so they will cup. Not ever old PC cups. I have a fully populated SI used PF, no cupping at all and it was stored poorly but vertical, in and unconditioned space in the north.

#37 9 years ago

Wow! Figure plastics, playfield, and everything else you see make that not a crazy price at all.

#38 9 years ago

$500 for a NOS F14 playfield. Somebody scored.....

#39 9 years ago

Hey John Wart,
Good score, if i had seen it in time i would have bought the other!
Mike

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I guess I was thinking more of the SI one at the beginning of the thread. That one was $1,300 IIRC. A better title and a cheaper price. Still cool as I have never seen a NOS wired playfield. I would pay a premium for a fully populated NOS playfield.

Yes, SI is a good deal at $1300. Hey Mike, if you played my Mystic at Expo, that game has about 3000 plays since that NOS wired playfield was installed. After around 2200 plays, one of the flipper coil stops became magnetized, so I decided to replace the flipper mechs. Everything else under there has held up fairly well.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

$500 for a NOS F14 playfield. Somebody scored.....

Thats a helluva a price.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I have a fully populated SI used PF, no cupping at all and it was stored poorly but vertical, in and unconditioned space in the north.

Not every insert cups.

You will have a game with 5 of the same inserts in a row and one stayed flat, the rest cupped.

Since we can assume that all the inserts came from the same manufacturing batch, one can assume that the wood has some internal stresses in the plys that starts the process.

Once Black Knight came out, with it's better inserts, the cupping problem was greatly reduced.

#43 9 years ago

I'm going to check that page every day. If a NOS ES playfield comes up for $500, I will ship my pants and buy it.....

#44 9 years ago

careful if you use NAVL to ship your pants, sometimes they get delivered with forklift streaks.

#45 9 years ago

Here's mine. No cupped inserts (at least nothing major). Just had rotted and cracked rubbers. Everything else is mint.

rs1.jpegrs1.jpeg

rs2.jpgrs2.jpg

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Not every insert cups.
You will have a game with 5 of the same inserts in a row and one stayed flat, the rest cupped.
Since we can assume that all the inserts came from the same manufacturing batch, one can assume that the wood has some internal stresses in the plys that starts the process.
Once Black Knight came out, with it's better inserts, the cupping problem was greatly reduced.

Well said. To me it is all about the wood and how thin/cheap the inserts are. I have by the way seen one insert that bowed. It was above a flasher that stuck on and super heated the insert. Rather than cupping, it actually bowed upward!

I feel comfortable in stating that cupping has zero to do with gravity and installing LEDs adds zero insurance that the insert will not cup eventually.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I have by the way seen one insert that bowed. It was above a flasher that stuck on and super heated the insert. Rather than cupping, it actually bowed upward!

Yep, I've seen that too a bunch of times.

#48 9 years ago

I remember brand-new machines in the '70s that had cupped inserts.

One that comes to mind was Bally Playboy. I remember when I first played the machine in 1978 the top bunny inserts were cupped like large craters. The balls would be re-directed as they rolled over them. They weren't so cupped to the point the ball would get hung-up though.

20 years later I had an NOS Playboy playfield that I wanted to clear coat. I was worried though that the top bunny inserts wouldn't be cratered any more after clear coating it. Since every Playboy machine I ever played had cupped inserts I thought that was the way they were intentionally designed.

I ended up clear coating the playfield and now the inserts are flat. I still have the pin.

#49 9 years ago

Can someone fill me in one the history with these NOS populated playfields? They seem like an odd replacement part for a company to offer/produce.

I get needing new backglasses for when some jerk smashes out the backglass on location and needing random small replacement parts, but the whole playfield?

I just don't get an operator replacing only a playfield if it wore out. I would think the whole game would be a mess if the playfield got worn out on location and by that time the operator would just want to get a whole new pin that would be more reliable and Bally would want you to buy one of the new titles they were selling.

Were these populated playfields just overruns when they were making the pins when they were not sure how many they were going to produce?

Did you see these types of populated playfields in the late 1980's and newer being made available?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Star Trek.jpg 70 KB

Unless they have been stored perfectly which I have never seen. Wired NOS playfields take more work then buying a NOS field and restoring it. Though neat to see just a total pain. I have owned a few...

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nos-populated-space-invaders-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.