(Topic ID: 140791)

NOS plastics: removing glue/paper backing?

By Mbecker

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Mbecker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Wondering if anyone has had any problems with older NOS plastic sets and having trouble removing the paper backing & glue residue? I just picked up a set and checked the key fob by peeling back some of the protective backing and it seemed to be leaving some glue residue. I could see removing with goo-gone or maybe the flour method.. I'm just worried about scratching the brand new plastics. Anyone have a technique they use?

thanks!

#2 8 years ago

Hmmmm I remember reading somewhere that a mild soak prior to removing the backing reduces that. Don't quote me though. Hopefully others can chime in.

Edit: Here is where I remember reading that... http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/D-21140-WEB

#3 8 years ago

Ah--excellent! That's a good place to start. I can try it on a couple more of the key fobs to make sure it works. Seems like it could do the trick.. Will report back findings

9 months later
    #4 7 years ago

So I finally got around to shopping my game and am trying again to release this glue... any other ideas are appreciated. I tried water soaking / very hot water soaking and have not have good results so far. May try leaving it overnight. I also tried Goof-off and that removed paint from the plastic immediately

#5 7 years ago

Bump for the early risers.. no one has had this issue with old plastic sets? The backing just pealed right off? Really want to install these tomorrow.. already ruined one though just trying to scratch off the glue with my fingernail and the goof off.

#6 7 years ago

If the backing is paper, like masking tape, soak them in warm water in the sink.

#7 7 years ago

DO NOT use goof off!! that stuff is like paint stripper.

use goo gone with is a citris oil based solvent remover. you can soak the plastics in it (paper side down) for an hour or so and it should release all of the glue and allow you to clean the plastics with soap and water.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks guys! I will try goo gone tmrw.. Been soaking in water for 24 hours and no easier to remove. The goof off experiment was actually a mistake -- I thought it was goo gone when I grabbed it in a hurry and didn't read the label.. Whoops. And yes it strips them quick ha!

#9 7 years ago

Naphtha or denatured alcohol, not Goo Gone.
    Do not immerse or soak for any period of time, and most definitely not Goo Gone.
    Use Naphtha or denatured alcohol to bring up the edges when peeling the paper off with a clean rag with your fingers.
    Use the rag to blot the plastic.
    Clean residue with a light circular motion, no scrubbing.
    Keep rag and container away from open fire including all potential fumes, or you will understand the meaning of "flame on".
    Many people do not realize how spontaneously this stuff can ignite, and it will suck the moisture right out of your skin leaving nasty second degree burns.

Goo Gone will leave unwanted residue and if not careful can discolor the plastic ink screening resulting in color blending and "bubbling".
    Goof Off will melt and warp the entire plastic dependent on material, smear the ink screening at best, and "window pane" the plastic at worst.
    Neither are good things for brand new plastics.

#10 7 years ago

xTheBlackKnightx:
    you don't want to use denatured alcohol. that can strip paint as well (it did so with my classic stern apron when attempting to remove glue residue from a metallic sticker).

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

xTheBlackKnightx:
    you don't want to use denatured alcohol. that can strip paint as well (it did so with my classic stern apron when attempting to remove glue residue from a metallic sticker).

That is why you blot with a rag into the paper, not scrub or immerse. The paper absorbs the alcohol. If this method is followed, there is no paint removal, but does loosen the glue on the paper so your fingers can do the rest. Only dampen in order to maintain paper integrity. I never stated to use the alcohol with residue, you can use another diluted solutions of simple green or soap and water. If you careful, there is very little residue left to clean up anyway.

I have only had to use this method in some older NOS plastic sets. New repos still pull off fairly easily. This method should be used when you are having problems when the ink screening is coming off with the paper.

#12 7 years ago

Hey, just seeing TBK posts now.. I took a few plastics and soaked them yesterday in Goo-gone in a bowl for 2-3hours. Awesome results! The top protective (clear) sheet completely came off in the bath and the bottom pretty much did as well. Then there was glue residue left. I dipped the plastics in flour several time and used my fingers to rub the residue into the flour in the sink. Finally, several rinses with dish soap to clean them up.

It's a pain compared to New repo plastic sets, but at least it seems to work for these NOS ones.. these must be 15 years old. I will also try the naptha method and see how that compares, thanks TBK.

And yes -- goof-off completely melted the paint on the plastics pretty much on contact, keep that stuff away from plastics!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nos-plastics-removing-excess-glue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.