New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 202940)

NOS IJ playfield cleared by Kruzman

By Grantman

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by NinJaBooT
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2017-12-11_9-25-32 (resized).jpg
DSC_8651 (resized).JPG
IMG_9710 (resized).JPG
DSC_8640 (resized).JPG
82B08FDD-0CE0-4AB8-8639-5B54BC3D66D0 (resized).jpeg
C17F6432-9AD3-4B81-8DBE-9D604A7DCEB9 (resized).jpeg
E540BDB5-0015-4880-B348-452DADA730EB (resized).jpeg
8D31F716-1226-4E15-9BE0-99FCAF2DEE19 (resized).jpeg
C3A9C19C-5697-40E8-A435-4F28497100E5 (resized).jpeg
earl (resized).jpg
IMG_7708 (resized).JPG
IMG_7707 (resized).JPG
IMG_7706 (resized).JPG
IMG_7705 (resized).JPG
IMG_7704 (resized).JPG
IMG_7702 (resized).JPG

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

#1 3 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Price

$ 3,520 (Firm)

Price is firm

for sale

NOS IJ playfield cleared by Kruzman

Added: November 18th, 2017 Re-listed: 2 times (February 10th, 2018) Ended: March 9th, 2018
Condition: New

Item description

Here it is, the holy grail. I bought this 2 years ago directly from Ron Kruzman. He said it was the only NOS IJ playfield that he'd ever seen. I paid extra to have him clear it. This was for a high end restoration that I'm never going to get around to. I'm selling this for exactly what I paid, $3520. Yeah, it's a lot, but it's the nicest IJ playfield on the planet. Preference will be given to someone that can pay in cash and pick up in person (Northern Virginia). Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Item photos

IMG_7702 (resized).JPG
IMG_7128 (resized).JPG
IMG_7129 (resized).JPG
IMG_7697 (resized).JPG
IMG_7131 (resized).JPG
IMG_7699 (resized).JPG
IMG_7130 (resized).JPG
IMG_7701 (resized).JPG
IMG_7700 (resized).JPG
IMG_7704 (resized).JPG
IMG_7705 (resized).JPG
IMG_7706 (resized).JPG
IMG_7707 (resized).JPG
IMG_7708 (resized).JPG

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Item location

Fairfax, VA, US

Seller insights

These are Grantman's all time market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to Grantman's stats page

#2 3 years ago

Wow. Gorgeous!

#3 3 years ago

I’m going to need an army of janitors to clean up the pools of drool on my floor!

#4 3 years ago

One of the most gorgeous playfields out there when cleared. IMHO.

#5 3 years ago

I saw this playfield in person when Kruzman finished it. It is a work of art.

#6 3 years ago

Beautiful...... aren’t we supposed to get at least a cabinet with it too and maybe some electronics

#7 3 years ago

Put down the crack pipe....

#8 3 years ago

The last NOS IJ playfield I saw was $2500. No clear. This is an extremely tough PF to get.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

The last NOS IJ playfield I saw was $2500. No clear. This is an extremely tough PF to get.

Until it gets remade.......

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Is that not a given with anything rare?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Maybe someday.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Maybe someday.

Mirco said they had this in line after TAF? At least that was someone said.

#13 3 years ago

I talked to Mirco one week ago about Indy Repros and he told me that they gona do it soon. "Data" is already done he said. Nevertheless this playfield is something really special.

#14 3 years ago

Such a gorgeous playfield. If I lived nearby I'd already be driving home with it

#15 3 years ago

there's always the awesomeness of having this pf NOS. if I'm going to do a high end restoration, and already committed to $10K+, why cheap out? keep it real. bragging rights, at bare minimum.

#16 3 years ago

This is Kruzman art at its best. I have a Mirco TZ by cleared Kruzman. I look at it every day. It's amazing.

#17 3 years ago

FYI, this is still available. The shipping crate is included. Thanks for looking.

1 week later
#18 2 years ago

Still available.

#19 2 years ago

Not a negative comment- but is this just a clear coated play field?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

It’s a new old stock, never installed, clear coated PF that’s basically unobtainable.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Quoted from pintechev:

It’s a new old stock, never installed, clear coated PF that’s basically unobtainable.

Plus it's a kruzman clear

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from dhard:

Plus it's a kruzman clear

Not a negative comment - but what is the difference between Kruzman clear and other pro clear? Can you see any difference?

#23 2 years ago

There is none. In all honesty getting a perfect mirror finish using a modern clear takes a little bit of equipment- some bit of time (greatly reduced with high quality equipment) and a little experience but not much. Experience buys you a bit of speed and you can get it perfect nearly every time after you have done it a few times and understand where to concentrate prep to ensure that. Else this is just a PF with clear- the person shooting the clear has done this as much or more than anyone so your guaranteed prep was high quality and equipment and materials were well vetted but its still just a coat of clear.

In all honesty I dont think anyone really should ve equating who pulled the trigger on the gun to value. This is super rare and that speaks for itself. The fact that the individual who sprayed it is extremely experienced adds assurance that you dont need to worry overly much about if its going to look perfect- its probably damn close to that no pics needed- thats a little value to me and a LOT of value to many others.

Good luck with the sale. I am sure its beautiful and will be the centerpiece of a valuable game one day.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Mirco has apparently confirmed a new run of them early next year - but they won’t be NOS!!

#25 2 years ago

3rd IJ playfield I've seen recently on here but this is the first NOS...

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Not a negative comment - but what is the difference between Kruzman clear and other pro clear? Can you see any difference?

Yes, there are many differences. Sanding, Paint, clear, buffing, etc each has their own technique. Ron Kruzman’s process produces the best results in my opinion. I have seen his work next to Hutchins, Davis, Neo, Mirco, CPR, Peter, and others I can’t think of right now. Each one looks very good but different and Ron’s will stand out amongst them all.

Ron puts his heart and soul into every play field he clears and it truly shows.

Good luck with your sale, I to have seen that of in person.

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Else this is just a PF with clear- the person shooting the clear has done this as much or more than anyone so your guaranteed prep was high quality and equipment and materials were well vetted but its still just a coat of clear.

Well I know a few biggish companies that clear PFs all day and it certina(t)ly makes a goddamn diff'rence

#28 2 years ago

No playfield is just as simple as squirting some clear on it, buffing and calling it good. A lot of times inserts need leveled (even on NOS). Most every NOS PF from this era needs some paint touchup or corrections. Clear can also be applied to thick or improper leading to the clear popping and or ghosting. That is the differance from somebody that worked at Maaco painting $300 jobs and somebody who specializes in pinball PFs.

#29 2 years ago

I'm Earl Scheib and I'll clear any playfield for $29.95!

earl (resized).jpg

#30 2 years ago

Kruzman’s playfield look like a piece of glass. That’s the difference

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Kruzman’s playfield look like a piece of glass. That’s the difference

I'm curious, how much and how long does that matter after you roll a steel ball across it? I have seen some Amazing playfield artists and clear coat sprayers and unless your hanging it or a wall or displaying only does it play better? Look like glass forever? I have several clear coated playfields that looked Incredible to the point of art but after a year of using the playfield for it's purpose they all seem to equalize in appearance value. Unless of coarse Picasso himself autographed the playfield.....

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I'm curious, how much and how long does that matter after you roll a steel ball across it? I have seen some Amazing playfield artists and clear coat sprayers and unless your hanging it or a wall or displaying only does it play better? Look like glass forever? I have several clear coated playfields that looked Incredible to the point of art but after a year of using the playfield for it's purpose they all seem to equalize in appearance value. Unless of coarse Picasso himself autographed the playfield.....

Ron is the Picasso of clearing playfields and yes he does sign them

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

They do play faster, you can also polish a buff a properly cleared PF for the rest of your life and still have clear left to work with. Mirco dose not use "clear coat" like kruzman uses, they use polyurethane I believe.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Cleared PFs can be polished and cut again if need be for refinishing if you needed.

The difference in the applications is what leads to less defects, more durability, and less 'compromises' that many make but don't talk about until you spot something and they go 'oh thats just how it is...' - not always

#35 2 years ago

The inserts on my HEP IJ started ghosting about 10 years in. Sign me up for a replacement playfield.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

The inserts on my HEP IJ started ghosting about 10 years in. Sign me up for a replacement playfield.

Don’t feel bad it can happen.
My Mirco AFM playfield started ghosting before I could even use it or rework it and this IJ playfield for sale might very well do the exact same thing sooner or later no matter what it looks like sitting on a table.
It isn’t the work done on top it is the work/ prep done at the build that matters most.Not much you can do about it nor anyway to predict it.

C3A9C19C-5697-40E8-A435-4F28497100E5 (resized).jpeg
8D31F716-1226-4E15-9BE0-99FCAF2DEE19 (resized).jpeg
E540BDB5-0015-4880-B348-452DADA730EB (resized).jpeg
C17F6432-9AD3-4B81-8DBE-9D604A7DCEB9 (resized).jpeg

82B08FDD-0CE0-4AB8-8639-5B54BC3D66D0 (resized).jpeg

#37 2 years ago

Totally, I wasn't disparaging your work, Chris. I absolutely love the game. IJ is just my grail and I'm anal about quality. What are the odds that it happens to me on two separate playfields, knock on wood.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Totally, I wasn't disparaging your work, Chris. I absolutely love the game. IJ is just my grail and I'm anal about quality. What are the odds that it happens to me on two separate playfields, knock on wood.

Thanks I wasn’t sure how to take it but I also know it is disappointing when or if it happens so it bothers me as well. 10 years or 10 minutes I have seen it all and still have zero tolerance but no control.
Your chances of it *not* happening these days are much better with a well done repro than an original from my experience as these guys dial in their process and address mistakes or oversights of the past. Age may be a factor at times as well and even just the process of extreme repaints that require a lot of masking and repainting could play into it but the true culprit will always be poor insert coating adhesion on the ground floor from the factory.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

My Mirco AFM playfield started ghosting before I could even use it

Mine did the same.

Unfortunately it was already installed before it did it ....

rd

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yes they last longer. His process involves spraying several layers over several months - each layer cures for several weeks and if anything shifts when first prepping , he breaks out the paint and fixes every crack or defect. The result is the clear is cured fully at each stage, so it never shifts. It’s really outstanding work, and you can tell IMMEDIATELY when looking at one PF vs another.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Don’t feel bad it can happen.
My Mirco AFM playfield started ghosting before I could even use it or rework it and this IJ playfield for sale might very well do the exact same thing sooner or later no matter what it looks like sitting on a table.
It isn’t the work done on top it is the work/ prep done at the build that matters most.Not much you can do about it nor anyway to predict it.

Chris,

Could you fix that AFM playfield to get rid of the ghosting, or is that not something you can remedy?

#42 2 years ago

I can say from experience that there are some amateurs on Pinside who clear coat and don't know what they're doing. Many put on too many layers and/or lay it on too thick. This may look like glass for a short period but then you have clear coat lifting at out holes, posts, even screws. Also if you put too many layers on it makes the ball play slower.

I don't have experience with Kruzman but I know he has an outstanding reputation. And I know from experience that there is a broad range of quality from "pro" clear coat guys here on pinside.

#43 2 years ago

Anybody have any experience with a Mirco TOM playfield, any ghosting or problems?

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Anybody have any experience with a Mirco TOM playfield, any ghosting or problems?

Edit: Added another photo (last photo) showing the 2 places where some complain about the "art" not matching original. The "blend/gradient" on top arrow is off supposedly and the color of the gold surrounding the inserts is off supposedly (see bottom red arrow). Chris, high_end_pins may also have some opinions on this specific repro.

I used a Mirco TOM recently on a restore I did. There are some colors/gradients that are a little off color from the original on the bottom 1/3 of the playfield. My biggest challenge was clear lifting around the holes for the ball guides. I'm not overly experienced and tried to pre-drill them, etc. but still had clear lift when inserting the ball guides in most spots.

DSC_8640 (resized).JPG
IMG_9710 (resized).JPG
DSC_8651 (resized).JPG

2017-12-11_9-25-32 (resized).jpg

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Edit: Added another photo (last photo) showing the 2 places where some complain about the "art" not matching original. The "blend/gradient" on top arrow is off supposedly and the color of the gold surrounding the inserts is off supposedly (see bottom red arrow). Chris, high_end_pins may also have some opinions on this specific repro.
I used a Mirco TOM recently on a restore I did. There are some colors/gradients that are a little off color from the original on the bottom 1/3 of the playfield. My biggest challenge was clear lifting around the holes for the ball guides. I'm not overly experienced and tried to pre-drill them, etc. but still had clear lift when inserting the ball guides in most spots.

Thanks for the detailed response, I have a Mirco TOM on the way, its the first Mirco product I will be trying...

#46 2 years ago

Basically you buy this one to hang on the wall and find another one to put in the game.

I'd be freaking out during playfield reassembly thinking I'd sneeze and grind a screwdriver across the middle or something. Plastic tipped tools only!

Gorgeous playfield, GLWTS!

2 weeks later
#47 2 years ago

Still available 12/30/2017

#48 2 years ago

Hopefully the seller can unload this one before the possibility of repro's. I've clear coated many playfields and if your final product looks like anything less then a piece of glass then your doing it wrong. Fortunately clear coating is more forgiving then you think and mistakes are pretty easy to fix. I've never been a huge fan of the game but wish the seller luck.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside