(Topic ID: 38230)

NOS Diner translite~ to Flame polish or not?

By Kerry_Richard

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by aeneas
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN1335.JPG
DSCN1333.JPG
DSCN1330.JPG
DSCN1325.JPG
DSCN1326.JPG
DSCN1328.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hello Pinsiders... I need your help.

I gave my 24 year old NOS DINER translite to Rick at BAA, to scan and reproduce for the pinball community. This NOS translite still had the thin plastic protective coating on it from factory when I gave it to Rick. There was not a mark in it.

I asked him NOT to scratch it. Well guess what? Not only is it not NOS anymore... it is scratched BADLY (see picts). Apparently, the person who scanned it, wrapped it in a heavy cardboard type paper (you can see it in the picts). This paper is like using 800 grit sandpaper.

Rick said he would pay for its restoration. However, I'm not sure how to restore it. The good news is... none of the artwork is scratched. Just "millions" of hairline scratches, in the clear plastic front.

Rick suggested maybe Novis 2 with buffer, I said maybe I would take it to Tap Plastics for their recommendations... and then there is the "Flame". That concerns me!

Well, the good news for those of you who need a new DINER translite... you can Thank me (and Rick later).

Let me know your thoughts.

DSCN1328.JPGDSCN1328.JPG DSCN1326.JPGDSCN1326.JPG DSCN1325.JPGDSCN1325.JPG DSCN1330.JPGDSCN1330.JPG DSCN1333.JPGDSCN1333.JPG DSCN1335.JPGDSCN1335.JPG

#2 11 years ago

That blows. Question, did you not know he had to remove the plastic coating to scan it?

#3 11 years ago

TAP will know what to do, and will probably do it for you (pay of course). Seems like a good way to get an official invoice for reimbursement as well.

I'm very jealous of you living close enough to TAP to go there, I've only ever gotten to deal with them via email/phone. They helped me through some difficult casting problems when I was making knock off Campac memory modules for R/C guys. They've always been great.

#4 11 years ago

Ouch. I feel for you. I've still got my NOS Diner translight with the protective coating on it. Can't convince myself to pull the plastic off.

#5 11 years ago

Kerry,

I would start with Tap, followed by Novus, and Flame Polishing dead last. Glad to see that Rick is trying to make it right.

#6 11 years ago

Ive torched a lot of things with great results, but I think if you put a flame to plastic that thin it will instantly curl and be trashed. Try a little novus gently and see how it looks, and get a couple free repro translites from rick to make up for your ruined nos.

#7 11 years ago

Rick offered to make it right. Is it really necessary to throw him under the bus? Why even mention him?

#8 11 years ago

Dayum, and Pinlawyer called R&L Carriers " Ham fisted F'Tards" BAA is kinda on the business of handling pin stuff

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Rick offered to make it right. Is it really necessary to throw him under the bus? Why even mention him?

I wasn't throwing him under the bus... I asked that my NOS Diner Translite be handled VERY CAREFULLY. I also feel he is sorry and sincerely wants to make it right. I'm just asking for help from the group to see what is the best direction.

BTW: Something that rare I feel should / could have been handled better. Especially going to a 3rd party.

#10 11 years ago

Must be a few of these still around NOS? I've bought 2 in the past 12 months.

#11 11 years ago

I'd rather hear a guy's name who broke a part and is trying to make amends, rather than have the name withheld. Makes Rick a good guy in my book, not a bad one!

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from sparkup:

Must be a few of these still around NOS? I've bought 2 in the past 12 months.

Sparkup... I own (2) DP DINERS. I just clear coated one, and putting the PF back in and my NOS DINER translight, after its fixed (hopefully).

I would LOVE to purchase a NOS Diner translight. Do you know where and how much? Do they still have the protective film on them?

Thanks Kerry

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Sparkup... I own (2) DP DINERS. I just clear coated one, and putting the PF back in and my NOS DINER translight, after its fixed (hopefully).
I would LOVE to purchase a NOS Diner translight. Do you know where and how much? Do they still have the protective film on them?
Thanks Kerry

I picked both up on eBay only a few weeks apart and paid around the $200 mark each. Both still had the protective films on them.

Had 1 machine that had no translight and another that was badly damaged.

#14 11 years ago

I think I'd flame polish something a little more 'common' first to see what happens to it!

Try Mike Pacak or Pinball Resource, both might have NOS Diner translites.

I *think* I have a NOS set of the characters that mount on springs behind the windows.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Ive torched a lot of things with great results, but I think if you put a flame to plastic that thin it will instantly curl and be trashed. Try a little novus gently and see how it looks, and get a couple free repro translites from rick to make up for your ruined nos.

Totally agree. I don't think a translite will hold up to flame polishing.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

TAP will know what to do, and will probably do it for you (pay of course). Seems like a good way to get an official invoice for reimbursement as well.
I'm very jealous of you living close enough to TAP to go there, I've only ever gotten to deal with them via email/phone. They helped me through some difficult casting problems when I was making knock off Campac memory modules for R/C guys. They've always been great.

TAP told me at their San Leandro store they won't work on any finished art or products due to the liability.

I got a piece of plastic for a joystick I made and I wanted the plastic to flow over the front so it needed a 90 degree bend. I said I could bring in the stick so they could use it as a guide and that's when they told me 'no'.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35597103@N08/3290793677/in/set-72157614113997631

#17 11 years ago

Kerry,

Sorry for the damage that happened on your NOS Diner translite. Hope it all gets resolved in the end on a positive note!

As you know, I have a Diner which I'm planning on restoring in the near future and have a crack right through the moon on my translite. Was encouraged to hear that CPR will be reproducing the translite as a Backglass, when? Who knows... Hopefully your kindness to Rick for the scan will enable those of us in the pinball community to obtain a nice clean replacement.

Again thanks for your contribution with hopes for a positive outcome!

Nick

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

I'd rather hear a guy's name who broke a part and is trying to make amends, rather than have the name withheld. Makes Rick a good guy in my book, not a bad one!

I agree. Kerry is also a good guy for loaning Rick the translite. Regardless of the outcome, both were trying to do something positive for the hobby. Thanks guys.

As mentioned, Tap won't touch it. They'll do machining and maybe some edge polishing on their stuff, but they don't touch customer's stuff. I don't see any way to repair it without making it look less than NOS. Flame polishing is for plastics. Not translites. Don't even try it. I would keep an eye on ebay for one to pop up. Tell Rick about it before bidding ends, so he knows there's no shenanigans. He'll square it up with you.

Also, Rick's guys are doing some amazing things lately. Because of your loan, they'll be able to make some very nice Diner translites. If you don't find one on ebay, you'll at least be able to compare Rick's remakes to your (formerly) NOS.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

The real difference between average and expert is how you recover from mistakes, because everyone makes them. It seems like Rick wants to do the right thing.

If I were in your shoes I would call Novus and ask to talk to their techincal support or product engineering people. This is what they do every day and they should be able to advise on the best way to move forward.

NOVUS Plastic Polish
800-548-6872
http://www.novuspolish.com/contact.html

#20 11 years ago

That's a bummer TAP won't touch it.

#21 11 years ago

Wouldn't a high quality wax, either liquid or paste be able to fill most of these? Just saying...

#22 11 years ago

I would do Novus 3/2/1 on it. If the scratches are deeper you may need to to do sanding first working up to a very high grit before you hit it with the novus.

See here
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=202584

#23 11 years ago

Try novus indeed.. and get two or three repro's as compensation..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bartlett, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nos-diner-translite-to-flame-polish-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.