(Topic ID: 39689)

Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show 2013 - PICS Added!

By zippydapinhead

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

NotDorothy.jpg
    007.jpg
    006.jpg
    005.jpg
    004.jpg
    003.jpg
    001.jpg
    There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dawson:

That's because Portland has about 500 machines on route , and most are piss poorly maintained but there are some great venues there for sure

Not all of them are maintained poorly.
    I am doing a full restore on the one I bought so long ago.

#52 11 years ago

You want to hall up my Star Wars DE ?

#53 11 years ago

I will be coming as well as well as this being my first post! I am hoping to 'break' into the hobby with my first table pickup. Hoping at the very least, I can meet some collectors face to face and hopefully (crosses fingers) pick up my first table. I just missed out on Judge Dredd in my area (maybe one of you got it because of my lack of inexperience in these sorts of transactions). Just drinking from the fire hose at the moment and trying to learn as much as I can. Maybe the noob can catch a break.

Regardless, I am looking forward to the show and play some tables!

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from Iamdarras:

You want to hall up my Star Wars DE ?

Yeah I can fit two in my van, you selling or just free playing it?

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Elfman:

I will be coming as well as well as this being my first post! I am hoping to 'break' into the hobby with my first table pickup. Hoping at the very least, I can meet some collectors face to face and hopefully (crosses fingers) pick up my first table. I just missed out on Judge Dredd in my area (maybe one of you got it because of my lack of inexperience in these sorts of transactions). Just drinking from the fire hose at the moment and trying to learn as much as I can. Maybe the noob can catch a break.
    Regardless, I am looking forward to the show and play some tables!

If you volunteer for the show you can get some nice perks. Free admission, a little extra time on the machines, and a great way to meet all the locals. You can sign up here - http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from bflagg:

If you volunteer for the show you can get some nice perks. Free admission, a little extra time on the machines, and a great way to meet all the locals. You can sign up here - http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

I will consider that. Back when I was living in the Bay Area, I volunteered for CA Extreme(http://www.caextreme.org/) for 3 years. I worked with one of the larger contributors that had a 3 story warehouse full of pretty much everything. He ended up using my garage to hold his some of his spare arcades. Never got a pin in my house though. Hoping to change that in 2013.

Thanks for the heads up!

#57 11 years ago

I think Marco Specialties and CoinTaker will be there as vendors.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Yeah I can fit two in my van, you selling or just free playing it?

Just for play ... Are you selling ?

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from Iamdarras:

Just for play ... Are you selling ?

That's cool,
    Show off that fancy new ROM

As for selling I would like to, that was really my only complaint from last year majority of the DMD games for sale where not physically there but listed on a message board.

#60 11 years ago

Have a LOTR I would bring to trade or sell if we could arrange before heading that way.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

That's cool,
    Show off that fancy new ROM
    As for selling I would like to, that was really my only complaint from last year majority of the DMD games for sale where not physically there but listed on a message board.

I'm hoping that there will be DMD games for sale there. Matter of fact, how negotiable are you on your Terminator 3, PDX? PM Sent.

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Portland is rumored to be the "pinball capital of the world". Don't ask me how that rumor got started, but if there's any truth to it, there should be a Portland show. Or at least alternate the Seattle show with Portland every other year.

Portland's pinball scene, or at least the segment that it is "world famous" for, doesn't really have much in common with the DMD collector culture that tends to drive a lot of the big pinball shows. I know all of the noteworthy Portland people well -- the guys who run the big tournaments, operate many of the games, etc -- and they are typically much more focused on the competitive, street-level side of things. Generally their favorite games to own and trade are early 80s Ballys and Sterns, EMs, etc. It's actually very uncommon to meet any with large DMD collections and I don't think I can name a single player who owns a 2000s Stern. They like playing in tournaments, usually in bars, and don't seem to really dig the squeaky-clean pinball show experience. This is obviously a generalization but I think it's pretty accurate when describing a lot of the people who are responsible for the surge of interest in pinball on location in Portland.

Seattle is similar in ways, but skewed a little more toward newer home collections. We have a pretty tight collector community with frequent house parties and in-home league events (50 players at our gathering last weekend for example, many of whom are collectors), a private local forum that we all post on, etc. The NW show and its volunteers and game donations are basically a product of that. I have no idea whether Portland has anything similar tying everyone together, but in my many trips down there for pinball events I haven't seen or heard of anything. Most DMD-era collectors that I've met and dealt with in Portland have felt more like one-offs who aren't really connected to a larger community. I know CFF (the Portland pinball "gang") has a forum that the tournament/location players hang out on, but that's pretty different.

So in other words, if a show ever gets off the ground in Portland I seriously doubt it would be handled by any of the people who have made the city the on-location pinball mecca. The Seattle show is never going to alternate with Portland. All of the organizers live up here, and it would be a logistical nightmare.

You should consider getting together with some local collectors and starting up a show yourself! I have no doubt that it would be successful. Like I was saying before, the NW show began as a bunch of dudes hanging out with their games in the back room of a pizza parlor. A Portland show might have to start the same way, but it would build momentum quickly. I'd come down and make a weekend of it for sure.

#63 11 years ago

Its hard for me to understand that games on route in the Portland/Seattle area arnt kept in good playing condition. Whats the deal yo? All of our games over here are kept in great playing condidtion.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from AbacusMan:

Its hard for me to understand that games on route in the Portland/Seattle area arnt kept in good playing condition. Whats the deal yo? All of our games over here are kept in great playing condidtion.

I find tons of games in great condition all the time. I have no complaints. Of course, I run across some turds, but that's to be expected

#65 11 years ago

We are hoping to be there, LED'd machine in hand! Perhaps it will be for sale as well.

#66 11 years ago

I've volunteered a fish tales, family guy, and a strikes n spares. They said they appreciated me volunteering the games and they hope to have a truck going to Portland to pick up games and they would stop by on the way back up and pick up mine.

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dawson:

That's because Portland has about 500 machines on route , and most are piss poorly maintained but there are some great venues there for sure

500 machines? According to wikipedia, the "Portland metropolitan area" has about 2 and a quarter million people.

I think in all of British Columbia (with about 4.5 million people) we have less than 50 games on location, and most of those are owned by one op who is passionate about pinball.

So 500 games in a single city? That's pretty sweet

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from bobbyconover:

Portland's pinball scene, or at least the segment that it is "world famous" for, doesn't really have much in common with the DMD collector culture that tends to drive a lot of the big pinball shows. I know all of the noteworthy Portland people well -- the guys who run the big tournaments, operate many of the games, etc -- and they are typically much more focused on the competitive, street-level side of things. Generally their favorite games to own and trade are early 80s Ballys and Sterns, EMs, etc. It's actually very uncommon to meet any with large DMD collections and I don't think I can name a single player who owns a 2000s Stern. They like playing in tournaments, usually in bars, and don't seem to really dig the squeaky-clean pinball show experience. This is obviously a generalization but I think it's pretty accurate when describing a lot of the people who are responsible for the surge of interest in pinball on location in Portland.
    Seattle is similar in ways, but skewed a little more toward newer home collections. We have a pretty tight collector community with frequent house parties and in-home league events (50 players at our gathering last weekend for example, many of whom are collectors), a private local forum that we all post on, etc. The NW show and its volunteers and game donations are basically a product of that. I have no idea whether Portland has anything similar tying everyone together, but in my many trips down there for pinball events I haven't seen or heard of anything. Most DMD-era collectors that I've met and dealt with in Portland have felt more like one-offs who aren't really connected to a larger community. I know CFF (the Portland pinball "gang") has a forum that the tournament/location players hang out on, but that's pretty different.
    So in other words, if a show ever gets off the ground in Portland I seriously doubt it would be handled by any of the people who have made the city the on-location pinball mecca. The Seattle show is never going to alternate with Portland. All of the organizers live up here, and it would be a logistical nightmare.
    You should consider getting together with some local collectors and starting up a show yourself! I have no doubt that it would be successful. Like I was saying before, the NW show began as a bunch of dudes hanging out with their games in the back room of a pizza parlor. A Portland show might have to start the same way, but it would build momentum quickly. I'd come down and make a weekend of it for sure.

You start a portland show and I will go every year and bring at least one title with me for as long as I collect.

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBulbs:

We are hoping to be there, LED'd machine in hand! Perhaps it will be for sale as well.

maybe we should get you some shirts to wear too---

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

You start a portland show and I will go every year and bring at least one title with me

I'm in on that too. Tacoma is too far to haul pins, just going for a day, but if in PDX I'd make a weekend out of it and bring at least a couple titles.

#71 11 years ago

As i was told, one problem with the Seattle show is, presenters like John Popadiuk who are considered a company have to pay up present at the show. Forget the fact that without them the show is uninteresting. My understanding is that this is one if the reasons some of the presenters won't be present this year.

Bobbyconnover: is this true?

#72 11 years ago

Markmon -

I am one of the organizers of the NWPAS and have handled seminars since the show started in 2008. You have no idea what you are posting about so please don't spread incorrect information. The inner workings of this show, or any show, are not really the business of anyone outside of the show board and committee.

We do our best to present the best show possible with an all volunteer staff. We are set up as a non-profit organization so that nobody profits from the show and we have started awarding scholarships with excess money. I hope you enjoy the show this year!

Jerry

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtaudio:

Markmon -
    I am one of the organizers of the NWPAS and have handled seminars since the show started in 2008. You have no idea what you are posting about so please don't spread incorrect information. The inner workings of this show, or any show, are not really the business of anyone outside of the show board and committee.
    We do our best to present the best show possible with an all volunteer staff. We are set up as a non-profit organization so that nobody profits from the show and we have started awarding scholarships with excess money. I hope you enjoy the show this year!
    Jerry

I think it was pretty clear he was posting what he heard, not as fact, but as what he heard. He then asked if it was true or not. Instead of attacking why not just clarify? I never understood why it seems so many volunteer and non-profit places like to be so airtight in what they do and so inclusive. Don't make it some cool kids club, make it for all. Non-profit doesn't mean there is no money to be made btw. That is a choice. Look at Goodwill

Since the question was not answered I think it is safe to assume the presenters do have to pay, which is really strange for any show, pinball or not.

Anyways, we all wish you the best with the show and hope to attend! Thanks for all the work organizing this!

#74 11 years ago

Well, you know what happens when you assume!

We have one of the best reputations in the industry and take very good care of our speakers. It would be foolish to think anyone would have to pay to speak at our show. He has obviously been misled or misinterpreted what he heard.

Jerry

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtaudio:

We have one of the best reputations in the industry and take very good care of our speakers. It would be foolish to think anyone would have to pay to speak at our show. He has obviously been misled or misinterpreted what he heard.
    Jerry

Then awesome! I only hear good things about your show. However, slamming someone for asking if what they heard is true, is lame.

Either way, should be a sweet show!

#76 11 years ago

Wasn't intended to be a slam, apologies if it sounded like that. I don't think it's good to post rumors of any kind on the internet. Most people take it as fact and don't bother to check the accuracy. We have worked hard to be an all-around excellent show and I wanted to set the record straight. Plus, Bobby Connover is not one of the show planners and not in a position to speak for the show.

Our seminar lineup this year will be as varied and star-studded as always. Python Anghelo, Jersey Jack, Gerry Stellenberg from p3 and more celebrities from Stern TBA will be on the schedule, as well as the usual tech seminars.

We hope to see lots of old friends and new faces at the show!

Jerry

#77 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtaudio:

Plus, Bobby Connover is not one of the show planners and not in a position to speak for the show.

Then set him straight on posting show facts

Good to see you on the forums btw, and welcome!

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

However, slamming someone for asking if what they heard is true, is lame.

To be fair to Jerry, Mark's post was worded much more like an accusation than a question, understandably eliciting a defense, not an answer. Apparently I am not privy to some strange bizarro North/South animosity or antagonism and that is one kind of ignorance I am happy to cultivate.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

To be fair to Jerry, Mark's post was worded much more like an accusation than a question, understandably eliciting a defense, not an answer. Apparently I am not privy to some strange bizarro North/South animosity or antagonism and that is one kind of ignorance I am happy to cultivate.

No animosity. I just read mark's post, read Jerry's answer and voila, we have this outcome. Anyways, it looks like I misread Jerry's post as a slam and you misread Mark's as an accusation. Fair enough.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtaudio:

Our seminar lineup this year will be as varied and star-studded as always. Python Anghelo, Jersey Jack, Gerry Stellenberg from p3 and more celebrities from Stern TBA will be on the schedule, as well as the usual tech seminars.
    We hope to see lots of old friends and new faces at the show!
    Jerry

Speaking of rumors...
    Will Skit B and predator be there?

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtaudio:

Wasn't intended to be a slam, apologies if it sounded like that.

It only sounded like a slam because of the use of names. Had facts just been presented, then it would have gone down easier. You guys do a great job with the show, and I have been looking forward to it since, well, last June.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtaudio:

Jerry

If its not true, that's all you had to say. It was clearly a question - you know, indicated by the question mark at the end of the post.

The data came from a good source. A presenter that was there last year and isn't coming this year and when asked why this was his response. So someone is lying.

#83 11 years ago

I don't have a problem with having some speakers paying to present. I've personally heard of several people (in addition to myself) that purchased a WOZ after seeing Jack present at the NW show last year. It was about a week after the show that the ECLEWOZ machines finally sold out at pinballsales.com. I'm sure some people bought an AC/DC after listening to Steve as well. So it's a simple business decision - if I pay X dollars in marketing at a show, I predict to get Y dollars in return. It's the presenter's choice to pay to present based on their anticpated value of Y. Period.

Obviously if the presenter has nothing to sell, they would never choose to pay to present. In those cases it seems clear that the show can determine if their value added to the show warrents a "free" presentation.

On the flip side, as an attendee of the show it's my decision to determine if the admission cost is worth the return I get from the presentations and available games. If I think the value isn't there, I don't pay to go. Period.

So it's the organizer's job to balance both sides of this equation to make both types of their customers happy while paying for show costs. How (or if) they do that really isn't any of our business. I just hope they do a good enough job to support the show the following year.

#84 11 years ago

Again, nobody has to pay to do a seminar at our show. All costs for speakers I invite are covered. All costs for companies like Stern, JJP, etc. who want to use the show as a marketing tool are covered by the company. They understand that we do this for the love and good of the hobby and are happy to cover their costs to do business.

Markmom is referring to an offer presented to the show that we declined. That is all.

Jerry

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

No animosity. I just read mark's post, read Jerry's answer and voila, we have this outcome. Anyways, it looks like I misread Jerry's post as a slam and you misread Mark's as an accusation. Fair enough.

Hey man, I'm not taking sides and I'm not yet involved in this hobby enough to know or care either way, but Mark did not ask a simple question, he made an accusation and dressed it up with a question mark.

This is a question: "Do presenters have to pay for their spot at the Pacific Northwest Show?" That's not what Mark wrote.

Again, I don't care. People are welcome to their squabbles and history, this is just an Internet peeve of mine: "I can load up whatever I want in my post, but you're an uncivilized asshole if you respond in kind."

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

but Mark did not ask a simple question, he made an accusation and dressed it up with a question mark.

The "worse" part is he basically called out the show and called it uninteresting. Didn't he?

#87 11 years ago
    Quoted from navajas:

Again, I don't care.

Says the guy trying to take what a poster said out of context and misread it.

Down with opinions I say! /sarcasm

#88 11 years ago

Says the guy who can't tell the difference between opinion and rhetoric.

*shrug* Whatever. Carry on.

#89 11 years ago

I'm going to try to bring my 2 early SS & Capt. Fantastic to the show this year if I can get them ready by then.
    I'm brand new to the pinball side of things, but have been collecting arcade games for a few years now. In fact, I've brought at least a dozen games to the NWPAS each of the last 4 years, & self-transported twice. It's a blast! BTW, I live near Bellingham, WA which is about as far from Tacoma as Portland is
    1st post. hoooya!
    -Dave

#90 11 years ago

Count me out for this year. I still need more time for my arms to heal. Looking to next year. I might even try to bring the BBH to 2014.

#91 11 years ago

Popadiuk wont be there this year Since he is now considered a vendor, if he wanted space to present his work at the show, that space isn't free, just like it isn't free for Coin Taker or other vendors. That's what markmon was saying. jtaudio is correct, they do treat the presenters that they pay to come out and put up in hotel rooms quite well. I am sure if the show were to pay for Popadiuk and pay for transport of his demo material, he would most likely go, but I am willing to bet that offer isn't out on the table.

And like you said jtaudio, all costs are covered for those that you invite.

I am on the fence this year. Last year was the first show I missed in many years due to schedule conflicts. I am very happy that we can get machines in and out without all those darn parking restrictions we had at the Key Center, but I also am bummed that the show is no longer in such an awesome spot to grab food, drinks, play pinball and wander the Seattle area. I may just drive up and visit for a day instead of bring several machines this year.

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The "worse" part is he basically called out the show and called it uninteresting. Didn't he?

What are you guys? A bunch of sensitive girls? How terrible that I found the show to be uninteresting? How dare I ask a question (that turned out to be partially true). You flying out from MI? If not, probably not your concern anyway.

#93 11 years ago
    Quoted from jtaudio:

Bobby Conover is not one of the show planners and not in a position to speak for the show.

This is absolutely true, sorry if it came across like I was trying to be the voice of the show. In my other posts I was just trying to explain and defend the show as I understand it from the perspective of a marginal (volunteer) participant. I know nothing of the inner workings, planning, finances etc.

I do know that what they do is great and takes a lot of work and love, and that I can't imagine why any pinball (or arcade) enthusiast would be down on that.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from EdisonArcade:

I'm going to try to bring my 2 early SS & Capt. Fantastic to the show this year if I can get them ready by then.

Haven't got to play a good quality SS yet, looking forward to seeing it!

Quoted from navajas:

Again, I don't care.

+1. This is a quality show and this thread is being ruined by a pointless argument.

#95 11 years ago

Markon had probably played most every game, and honestly I want it to be a huge success but honestly the less player to wait in line with the better... I am gonna be adding as many review as I can... Hope to bring games next year,

#96 11 years ago

The Seattle show or I guess Tacoma show now, is amazing. I've gone to the past 4 or 5 now, and wouldn't miss it for the world. Hundreds of games, hundreds of prizes, awesome seminars, and VERY professionally run. Really nothing to discuss. If you love pinball, you will love the show.

#97 11 years ago

When are the raffles held and does anyone know what is on the raffle block? Any speakers not to miss...

1 week later
    #98 11 years ago

Anyone interested in selling at the show?

#99 11 years ago
    Quoted from EdisonArcade:

I'm brand new to the pinball side of things, but have been collecting arcade games for a few years now. In fact, I've brought at least a dozen games to the NWPAS each of the last 4 years, & self-transported twice. It's a blast! BTW, I live near Bellingham, WA which is about as far from Tacoma as Portland is
    1st post. hoooya!
    -Dave

Welcome to Pinside!

#100 11 years ago

That was a really cool Video

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/northwest-pinball-arcade-show-2013/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.